The Daily for Sunday Apr 04, 2021

richwmn

Today is Easter Sunday, Hug a Newsman Day, and Walk Around Things Day

I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives. - Billy Connolly

Meal suggestion for today - Baked Ham

Drink of the Day - Blaze of Glory

Wine of the day - Tornatore 2019 Pietrarizzo Bianco (Etna) Sicily & Sardinia

Port of the Day - Messina Italy

At Sea Atlantic
Zaandam Destination Gibraltar

At Sea Caribbean
Nieuw Statendam Destination Great Stirrup Cay eta this afternoon

At Sea Pacific
Zuiderdam Destination La Paz MX eta 4/8

Brest FR
Oosterdam

Corfu GR
Volendam

La Paz MX
Koningsdam Anchorage
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage
Noordam Anchorage

Long Beach
Westerdam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage

0404World.thumb.jpg.978a34f99c3dec1af247d9850052e92f.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Easter Daily, Rich.  We can't hug our news people right now but should definitely salute them.  My favorite "thing" to walk around is a ship but I haven't done that for over a year.  I love the quote, one of the few to have cruised to Switzerland.  I've cruised to Italy but not to Messina.  Baked ham is actually my dinner plan today.  On this date in 2014 when I was on MS Amsterdam it was not Easter and my alternate dinner suggestion is Gourmet Greens, Tropical Fruit Medley, and Prime Rib of Beef au Jus.

Today's care list:

Kakalina

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH facing chemo

St. Louis Cruiser DMIL

HorizonChaser1957'BIL

RIP Capitol Police Officer William Evans(thanks ger_77)

Rest in Peace Krazy Kruizers

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome to the Daily, TheEmerson

Wishing all who celebrate a Blessed Easter

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates             
Front Line Health Care Workers

StLouisCruiser with DD

Final chemo for HorizonChaser1957's friend

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.  Happy Sunday.

It's cool and frosty here now, but supposed to be sunny and warmer this afternoon.

I think I'll walk around the neighbourhood today.  Maybe I'll find a newsman, otherwise, I'll just hug my sweetie.

Funny quote.

Looking forward to reading about the wine and drink of the day.

I'll pass on the ham, we're having leftover roast beef.

I hope there will be lots of pictures of Messina.  We've been to Italy, but not there.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Sending prayers to all and cheers to all who celebrate.

Stay safe.

• Like 19

Happy Easter to all who celebrate!

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! An interesting combination of days. 

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. Off for an early morning hike with Bindi. We are stopping for breakfast at a place that allows dogs on its outside deck. Luckily the winds have died down, otherwise it would have been impossible to eat outside.  Morning Dailyites- another white wine!

Ham & turkey and veggies are in my future this afternoon. Fun quote. Love the name of the drink!

prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

All released vintages of this white blend have excellent ratings, so you can not go wrong. One online distributor had it on sale for $19.99, but most offered it in the mid $20 price range. You might find it for less locally. Ahh, the descriptions...   Another one for my list.

Winemaker Notes

Tornatore Etna Bianco has a striking straw-yellow color with reflections of green. Intensely aromatic and focused on the palate, the wine has fruit notes of grapefruit, white peach, melon and tangerine that are framed by hints of fresh-cutgreen herbs, oyster shell and slate. This is a wine of great depth and complexity that finishes with refreshing salinity and zesty acidity.

WE92  Wine Enthusiast: Delicate but alluring scents of yellow spring flower, white stone fruit and botanical herb waft out of the glass. Crisp and bone-dry, the elegant, linear palate has racy tension, offering Bartlett pear, Meyer lemon and a steely mineral tone alongside bright acidity.

JS91James Suckling: Smoked almonds, ripe pears and lemon zest on the nose. It’s medium-to full-bodied with lots of wet stones and almonds. Fresh finish. Drink now.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

A very blessed and happy Easter Sunday to all who celebrate 😄 

58B9A161-8866-4CA1-AD61-3E5B0FC5E74F.jpeg.cbfba839327c2f74ae8031b690837e08.jpeg

Can’t hug anyone these days but I salute all of our news people (not just the men 😉 ) for all of their hard work and efforts.  I try to walk around things every day rather than bump into them 😉 

Love the quote and the meal suggestion.  Baked ham it is indeed for us tonight.  

@cat shepard that wine wine is going on my list too.  It sounds delicious 🙂  We’ve been to lots of spots in Italy but I don’t believe we have been to Messina.

This is our weather today (sung to the music of I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas):

E1C3A31A-2F88-4E8C-A01E-CC45B9B3380A.thumb.jpeg.39caf01e12e5256940d0488655d62dab.jpeg

While Easter is about much more than bunnies, the Easter bunny is very popular with children:

A24BAB9E-EA3E-46D8-838E-43B2BB8EFECD.jpeg.3cda34f7bdf0ad77e4db4c6a43aca83e.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and a big 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

No matter what your weather may be we wish you all a very happy Sunday

A7DB044F-F160-427C-B0DE-41902E38DBD7.thumb.jpeg.361cd3149a71b4ad95b87c3b3ee3f621.jpeg

And, of course, please stay safe and don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone and Happy Easter!

It should be a glorious day here with warm temperatures and a sun shiny sky.  I'm planning on taking advantage of that and walking the neighborhood.  Since I've been back at the pool I haven't done much of that.  

The usual recipe site doesn't just have Baked Ham.  I had my choice of glazes to put on it and picked honey glazed.  Ham is not my favorite, so I bought myself a nice steak.  I spent part of yesterday tearing down the grill, cleaning it up and putting it back together.  It is all in working order, so the steak and veggies will go on it this afternoon.  

https://cafedelites.com/honey-baked-ham/   We always did a version of this with the cloves and then brown sugar and mustard glaze.

Honey-Baked-Ham-GLAZE-IMAGE-3.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, dfish said:

We always did a version of this with the cloves and then brown sugar and mustard glaze

Tbanks as always for the recipe, Debbie 🙂 That website also has a brown sugar glaze recipe too.

I’ve found either recipe (or a combination of the two) to be good. 👍 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Happy Easter to all celebrating!

We're having leg of lamb today - everyone in the family loves it!  Because DS has to work tonight, we'll be eating at noon - so the lamb is ready and will start cooking soon.  Today my church is reopening for the first time since before Christmas - I am SO looking forward to being there worshiping with the congregation! Our minister has been videoing the service, and then I put it on the website and our church Facebook page. 

I had my second Moderna shot on Friday afternoon, and then yesterday I had the expected flu-like feeling - first my hands were freezing, then I thought I was running a fever.  Today I woke up feeling great, so I'm happy!

I haven't been to today's port (actually, I haven't been to Europe at all yet!, but will enjoy everyone's photos.  Have a wonderful day, stay safe!

Laura

• Like 23

Good morning and happy Easter to all. Should be a lovely day here after a chilly and windy yesterday. We will have a quiet Easter, just dh and me, because of our lockdown in Ontario, stay safe and wear a mask.

• Like 19

Happy Easter to all who celebrate.It is chilly here this morning  but promises to be 50 or so later.Baked ham and scalloped potatoes will ne on the menu.As grandma,I do dishes and leave the cooking to the younger folk.What fun!

I can't  find a newsman but will hug grandchildren,DH,DS and DDIL happily. We have cruised to Italy but not the port.Have a great day everyone.     Terry

• Like 21

Happy Easter dailyites.  No hugging around here except the kitty and DH.  Will enjoy a walk around as the sun is shining and will warm up today.  No Ham for today, not sure what we will have.  Love the quote.

Prayers and toasts for our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please wear your mask.

I checked many sites for the drink to find a picture and there were none.

Blaze of Glory:

1 1/2 oz of Dark rum
2 tsp of dark creme de cacao (or chocolate liqueur)
1/2 oz of grand marnier orange liqueur

Shake ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Strain into a cocktail glass.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Happy Easter and thanks for the Daily!

I have to walk around my elderly Beagle pretty much all day long.

we are taking our grandson to the park today and will give him his Easter basket, that’s about all we could do this year, no family gathering.

wishing all a wonderful day!

• Like 18

Good Morning Everyone from a bright and sunny day at the beach.

Happy Easter to all that are celebrating. We are not fans of ham so we are having prime rib.

Have not been to Italy so looking forward to the pictures.

Went to sunrise services on the beach this morning with my niece. It was very well done and the winds are gone. So it was quite comfortable. DH had breakfast waiting for us when we returned. Nice surprise!

Stay safe and enjoy today.

• Like 19

Good morning and Happy Easter to everyone!  It's a bright sunny cold morning and DD and family have just left for their long drive to her in-laws' house in Englewood, FL.  We had a good visit yesterday evening with delicious food.  Our granddog Gracie was a little disoriented in a new house for her, so was nervous.  She had a hard time sleeping last night so now they all need a good nap.😏

Anyway, it was good to get some hugs from them so I won't be hugging any newsmen today.

We plan on putting things to right here and then going for a late lunch at the golf club today.  It's about a half mile from the house so we can walk over if we want to.  I have no idea what's on the menu today so it will be a surprise.  

Messina is a port that seemed to be on a quite a few of our cruises.  We were there on Royal Princess in 2013, Emerald Princess in 2016 and 2019, and Westerdam in 2017.  The Straight of Messina is a narrow straight between eastern Sicily and the western coast of southern Italy.  At the city of Messina the straight is only 3 miles across. 

As we approached Messina in 2017 on Westerdam we passed the Stromboli volcano.  It looked quite beautiful and peaceful that day. enhance

One of my favorite things to see at Messina is the Noon time performance at the beautiful automated astronomical clock tower at the Messina Cathedral.  Tourists gather there in advance to get the best position for the many photos they take.  The clock features decorative dials indicating the signs of the zodiac and the annual calendar with golden mechanical figures which move.  The noisiest time is when the lion figure roars and the rooster figure crows.  Always a big hit!  But if your ship arrives at 1 pm you are out of luck, and that has happened to us once.  We arrived right at noon and you could barely hear the lion and rooster from the upper decks of the ship.  The Cathedral is a couple blocks away from the pier so an easy walk.  People waiting to see the noon performance. 

enhance

Here is the Cathedralenhance

And just to the left is the famous bell towerenhance

Here is the lion at the top and the rooster below it.enhance

The figures all move including the lion and rooster, the angels, etc.enhance

Other lovely views and buildings around the city to look at.enhance

enhance

The Court of Messina with a horse and wagon statue on top.

enhance

The beautiful Parrochia Santa Caterina church which translates to Church of St. Catherine.

enhance

The Church of the Annunciation of the Catalans which was rebuilt from a Mosque.

enhance

I hope you can all visit Messina in the future.  I have another cruise where we visited Mt. Etna and Taormina on a tour from Messina.  I can post a few photos from that tour next.

• Like 34

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Happy Easter to everyone who celebrates, and for those who don't, I wish you a wonderful day.  I'm going to hug DH today because in the early 60's (wayyy before my time) he was an all night DJ and read the hourly news, so that sort of counts.  I try to walk around things, but having been plagued by astigmatism all my life, it makes depth perception an issue, so I always have bruises on my legs from bumping into various tables, chairs, etc.  LOL

We think spring may have finally come to the "frozen tundra" because we heard our first robins a couple of days ago, and this morning were wakened by their beautiful song.  Yay!   We've been to Italy, but not to Messina - another for the "must see" list, which is growing daily.

Like many of you, today's meal will be a baked ham, even if it's a small one.  I do it the lazy way, by pouring a can of cola in the bottom of the pan, setting the ham in it and tenting it with foil.  It turns out nice and juicy every time, and is a family favourite.  Sides today will be air-fryer asparagus, and garlic mashed potatoes.  Dessert is apple pie and ice cream.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Toasting tonight with a *clink* all on the celebration list.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 23

Thanks to all who contribute here and special thanks to Rich and Roy.  Happy Easter!  My church today is open but I will watch online.  I will have full efficacy with the vaccine this Thursday but I will wait to attend church.  Numbers of new cases still too high for me.

Dinner today is ham, corn, asparagus, potatoes and rolls.  And, of course, the obligatory appetizers and desserts.  Have a safe and blessed day.  Katherine

• Like 17