What no one's yet asked about "shorex only"

Bruin Steve

Okay, so deep in the Celebrity Website, it says "initially...everyone must take Celebrity shorexes only" in order to leave the ship...

Okay...So, aside from all the other concerns people have, what about the length and timing?

For example, Santorini.  The Apex is scheduled to be in port from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm...

As of now, they are offering nine shorexes.

BUT, one of them is only 2 hours, 45 minutes...two more are 3 and a half...one is four hours, another four and a half...

ALL leave in the morning...

The LONGEST shorex is over at 3:00 pm...

SO, if you can only leave the ship on a Celebrity shorex, why all the short times?  If we want to take, for example, one of the 3.5 hour tours...and it gets us back to the ship at 11:30, is that, basically, it for the day in Santorini?

If the last shorex returns at 3:00 pm, then WHY is the ship not departing until 7:00 pm?  What would be the point?

Of course, we've been to Santorini many times before...and these half day shorexes are designed to leave you in town at the end with a return cable car ticket to get back to the tenders on your own...So, doesn't it make sense for you to be allowed off the ship on your own?  Besides, isn't Greece opening to tourism so the shop keepers and restauranteurs on Santorini can make some money?

Does anyone really think this "shorex only" idea makes any sense???

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

Of course, we've been to Santorini many times before...and these half day shorexes are designed to leave you in town at the end with a return cable car ticket to get back to the tenders on your own...So, doesn't it make sense for you to be allowed off the ship on your own?  Besides, isn't Greece opening to tourism so the shop keepers and restauranteurs on Santorini can make some money?

It would appear there’s some ambiguity in the policy that doesn’t make sense. However, I think it’s main objective is to limit the potential of bringing infection back on the ship, after all the checks done on Day 1, and not so much protecting locals! So what you say about restauranteurs and shop keepers doesn’t really figure!

5 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Okay, so deep in the Celebrity Website, it says "initially...everyone must take Celebrity shorexes only" in order to leave the ship...

Okay...So, aside from all the other concerns people have, what about the length and timing?

For example, Santorini.  The Apex is scheduled to be in port from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm...

BUT, one of them is only 2 hours, 45 minutes...two more are 3 and a half...one is four hours, another four and a half...

SO, if you can only leave the ship on a Celebrity shorex, why all the short times?  If we want to take, for example, one of the 3.5 hour tours...and it gets us back to the ship at 11:30, is that, basically, it for the day in Santorini?

If the last shorex returns at 3:00 pm, then WHY is the ship not departing until 7:00 pm?  What would be the point?

It makes sense to the CDC for whatever that’s worth.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

I thought Celebrity was also providing ”the private journey “ option for you to explore the port on your own.  It was my understanding that you could book a private guide to take you wherever you wanted to go and still obey the protocols to maintain the bubble.  Perhaps those journeys would be all day.  Otherwise it might be a good cost savings to leave early or this might allow twice as many ships to visit a port.  This seems to be the process that’s been adopted in San Juan with early and afternoon arrivals.

The UK government has just released its Green List of safe countries to visit.

Greece is on the Amber list which means quarantine on return into the UK.

They must think there is a chance of contacting Covid in Greece,,,,so do you think the risk of bringing it on to the ship is a risk worth taking?

For the cruise industry to have another infection similar to the Princess outbreak would be its death knell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

The UK government has just released its Green List of safe countries to visit.

Greece is on the Amber list which means quarantine on return into the UK.

They must think there is a chance of contacting Covid in Greece,,,,so do you think the risk of bringing it on to the ship is a risk worth taking?

Or maybe they have switched their objective from trying to control Covid to eliminating all risk from Covid.  Covid will never be eliminated.  We need to learn how to live with Covid and allowing vaccinated people to resume their normal lives is the only approach that makes sense.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

But the CDC has no authority outside the US.  So if a cruise line chooses to abide by CDC rulings, that’s their choice but there’s no mandate to do so

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

BruinSteve, interesting observations about Santorini, which as you know is a unique location. You are right that that is absolutely no way to keep a group of passengers together and separated from the locals when you are dependent on that apparatus (or the donkeys) to get them down from the town to the shore.  

as to the timing of the port stop, I am certain that the 7 p.m. departure schedule was determined far ahead of the shorex schedule.  And at least it does give time for those who might choose the private journey option to customize their day in Santorini.

as I read this, I was picturing my last trip to Santorini, where there was a two hour wait to get on the tram way. The line snaked its way around the Square and back again. It would have been an impossibility to stay six feet away from others.  

On that trip, we were Docked somewhere in the morning where we were able to leave the ship and get on the buses, but then we were on our own to get back to the ship from town. Maybe they are planning on keeping the ship all day at the location where the buses picked us up and eliminating the visit to the town and the tram ride.  It’s the only solution I can come up with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I thought Celebrity was also providing ”the private journey “ option for you to explore the port on your own.  It was my understanding that you could book a private guide to take you wherever you wanted to go and still obey the protocols to maintain the bubble.  Perhaps those journeys would be all day.  

These tend to be rather pricey.

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Or maybe they have switched their objective from trying to control Covid to eliminating all risk from Covid.  Covid will never be eliminated.  We need to learn how to live with Covid and allowing vaccinated people to resume their normal lives is the only approach that makes sense.

I agree.

The question is the timing,when is the right time to live to learn with it.

Some we’re saying the same thing 10 months ago,in my uneducated opinion that would have resulted in carnage.

Would you go to India on holiday today?even if you was vaccinated?

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

But the CDC has no authority outside the US.  So if a cruise line chooses to abide by CDC rulings, that’s their choice but there’s no mandate to do so

You are aware, I hope, that this is what other cruises in Europe that have already resumed have also mandated?  It doesn't have anything to do with the CDC.  In fact, the CDC documents up until the most recent one have been silent on the issue of shore excursions.

6 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Not worth much to me. Fully vaccinated and ready to go. My guess is these "guidelines" were put together by underlings who lifted and pasted past protocols just to get something out there. These rules contradict current  CDC guidelines for the general population an especially for vaccinated Americans. Next cruise is mid October and I suspect we will be in a much environment by then.

On 5/8/2021 at 8:35 AM, cruisemom42 said:

You are aware, I hope, that this is what other cruises in Europe that have already resumed have also mandated?  It doesn't have anything to do with the CDC.  In fact, the CDC documents up until the most recent one have been silent on the issue of shore excursions.

Celebrity's website states "...guests will only be allowed off the ship on one of our curated shore excursions." 

Here is the link:    Meet Our Team of Health & Safety Experts | Celebrity Cruises    

Scroll down and look under the area that says, "While ashore". 

8 minutes ago, larry_s_taco said:

Celebrity's website states "...guests will only be allowed off the ship ...

larry, you edited out what is, perhaps, the most important word--"INITIALLY"...

The big question for those of us who won't be there until August is one of how this requirement is likely to change over time.  I am thinking that, even right now, even the Celebrity representatives are confused on the issue and have no clear direction.   May of the shorex descriptions on the website say "Then explore Fira on your own and return to the tender port via Cable Car". 

You've got most of the shorexes ending around lunch time and a ship leaving at 7:00 pm.

And you've got passengers all able, under Greek laws, to arrive early in Athens and wander on their own for days before boarding the ship.

And, of course, all passengers are required to be fully vaccinated...

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

larry, you edited out what is, perhaps, the most important word--"INITIALLY"...

The big question for those of us who won't be there until August is one of how this requirement is likely to change over time.  I am thinking that, even right now, even the Celebrity representatives are confused on the issue and have no clear direction.   May of the shorex descriptions on the website say "Then explore Fira on your own and return to the tender port via Cable Car". 

You've got most of the shorexes ending around lunch time and a ship leaving at 7:00 pm.

And you've got passengers all able, under Greek laws, to arrive early in Athens and wander on their own for days before boarding the ship.

And, of course, all passengers are required to be fully vaccinated...

All the same, I really think it will be a case of ship excursions only. August is pretty early considering when the sailings start from Athens. It's better to be realistic and prepared than optimistic and unpleasantly surprised...  (Not you in particular, I know you are booking a number of Celebrity excursions.)

As to the wording, I suspect they just haven't gone in to the "standing" descriptions and changed them to reflect the new circumstances. 

Some things to consider about Santorini.  It is tender port and the tenders are controlled by the local group, Santorini Boatmen.  In the past if you took a ships tour in Santorini you were tendered off first and taken to the old ferry dock where the buses were waiting while the non-ship trips had to tender off later and go to where the cable car, donkeys and walking trail all come down.  It makes for a longer day getting on and off the ship no matter how you cut it so I am guessing they are leaving some slack time in their scheduling.  Sailing times are also based on tides and traffic so that adds to the consideration.   Based on our past trips to the island I cannot image having to skip free time in Fria at the beginning or end of the day. It is a fun place to walk around and shop and eat.  This whole mess is another reason we are not booking anything until  these "details" are settled.  

Well, I'm booked on the July 31 Apex cruise and I'll make do with whatever they decide. Having been on the Edge in March 2020, I know spending more time on Apex will NOT be a punishment lol.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

FYI:

So far the condition to allow cruise line tours only is a Greek requirement. It is in effect since the first cruises under Covid-guidelines sailed end of summer last year. Passengers arrived in Greece on charter flights and were transported to the ship without any option to stay before or after the cruise. The whole thing was a bubble concept - including the tours. It actually made sense... then.

Now, when people can book individual stays before/after the cruise, it doesn´t make that much sense anymore - so it might change over time.

The CDC isn´t to blame for this - it has no jurisdiction in Europe.

• Like 1

There are a lot of things to consider and at this point, Celebrity is also in a "wait and see" position.  How many ships we be allowed in individual ports at the same time, how has the local infrastructure changed regarding guides/tours/transportation/shops/restaurants, and how many foreign tourists do they want on their streets at one time (some of these ports were crazy/uncomfortably crowded in the old days).  Yes, many locals rely on tourism, but if they do it wrong they could end up with a poor reputation for quite some time.  People who want to start cruising now will just have to take things in stride and planning will be more difficult.    

On 5/8/2021 at 1:28 AM, upwarduk said:

I asked our TA whether we would be allowed off the ship on our own and the answer. she got from Celebrity was that no decision had yet been made.

That is the same answer my TA got from Celebrity.

2 hours ago, Miaminice said:

I wish more would realize this fact, the CDC has zero authority for any cruise that doesn't use any US ports in a cruise.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Miaminice said:

FYI:

So far the condition to allow cruise line tours only is a Greek requirement. It is in effect since the first cruises under Covid-guidelines sailed end of summer last year. Passengers arrived in Greece on charter flights and were transported to the ship without any option to stay before or after the cruise. The whole thing was a bubble concept - including the tours. It actually made sense... then.

Now, when people can book individual stays before/after the cruise, it doesn´t make that much sense anymore - so it might change over time.

I think you hit the nail right on the head.

This policy was developed when they first allowed cruises...and that was at a time when there was not a widely-distributed vaccine.  Cruisers were allowed entry based on only a negative Covid test--which meant they could still contract Covid or pass it on at any time.  So, they were taking their chances that they could limit the spread by keeping those people isolated from others who could infect them or those they could pass it on to.

But, with these cruises, things have changed--Passengers and crew are supposed to be fully vaccinated.  the risk of anyone onboard contracting Covid or passing it on to anyone else is extremely small.  No one has restricted us from entering Greece pre-cruise--only the evidence of vaccination is needed.  I believe it is only a matter of short time before they realize this and update the stated policy.