Carnival Restart Information

Lee Cruiser

7 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

In order for the 3 cruises to embark by July 15 out of Galveston and Miami, then Carnival would have to go the 95% route.  In order for them to start off with the the test cruises, there simply would not be enough time.  Now of course, they could pivot after the first 3 and have some of their fleet jump through hoops in order to allow the unvaccinated and the 11 and under set be over 5% of the cruisers on a given sailing.

That’s just it. I don’t think they will go in July. They even note continued “uncertainty”. I think they slimmed down to their restart fleet and will likely go with those ships in August. It is notable that they made no mention of vaccines in the release. 

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Imo they woukdnt do this until the fda approves the vaccines. If they did as you say any vaccine just approved for emergency use could no longer be used. I dont see this in july.

Pfizer has already applied for full approval of their vaccine.  I had thought it might be a relatively quick approval process, but apparently it will take several months.

Moderna has said they intend to apply for full approval sometime this month (May 2021).

So yeah, might not be until August or Sept before they are fully approved, which would allow the CDC to back off the Pandemic Emergency declaration.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

There is a Carnival ship, not sure which one docked at Port Canaveral this AM.  First time in a long time that I have seen a ship other than Disney.  

It's the Liberty.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jamesatgsu said:

I wonder if the reasoning is Carnival is considering having some ships fully vaccinated, while having other ships take the test cruise route. 

I still believe follow the money. I'm a money person. Carnival will not do mock cruises. They will not spend the extra time and money.  The whole idea carnival will do mock cruises so they can corner the market on unvaccinated cruises to me is nonsense. Carnival lawyers would block such a liability. 

Sorry I know some believe this. I'm in judge Judy's corner. If it doesnt make sense its probably not true.

• Like 1

Just a boot on the ground observation from here in Florida on how Florida State agencies are treating the whipsawed Covid 19 policy statements that come from the state's top leadership:

I volunteer at a local Florida State Park. While proclamations were being made that Florida was totally open and to come on down, the reality is that for state parks, we operated under strict restrictions. All  staff and volunteers are required to wear masks and must follow strict distancing rules. This is for the outdoor operations. Indoor areas were closed. To further protect staff, volunteers, and oblivious park visitors, all programs and presentations (again outdoors) have been cancelled because too many people would attend the programs.

Now after the newest blustering, we are no longer allowed to say that the indoor areas are closed due to Covid 19. We instead now have renovation projects and mechanical problems that necessitate the closures. The masks and social distancing for staff and volunteers have been reemphasized (maybe the fact that one staff member died and several became ill from Covid 19 after the spring break crowds, most maskless with young disease vectors in tow, overcrowded the park has something to do with the renewed emphasize on masks).

I am called for jury duty next week,. Again after last week's shenanigans, I received a priority mail letter yesterday reemphasizing the Covid 19  procedures that are still in place for the courthouse and jury pool.

There is a obviously a divide in the state between the political blustering at the top and what state officials who have access to the realities of Covid 19 variants and cases in the state are doing to protect state staff and others who are present in volunteer capacities.

How does this post relate to cruising? It relates to it if for some unknown reason we have a federal judge who didn't brush up on the authority and jurisdiction of the CDC and just dismiss the case being presented today, it is going to be difficult to prove the allegations of  CDC over reach given the facts that are available to those that are capable of understandiing them. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I had that thought earlier today. Don't judges in these type of cases normally try to get the parties to settle their differences before it coms down to having to be determined by a judge? But in this case, any settlement discussions would really be between the CDC and the cruise lines, not between the CDC and the states that have chosen to be a party to this lawsuit. Plus just as you have said that Florida's no questioning of vaccine status might make this moot for Florida, wouldn't the fact that the PVSA combined with Canada closing its waters and ports make it moot for Alaska?

Yes but since this isn't a Final hearing, but only a hearing on a temporary injunction, settlement negotiations often are delayed until the parties get an indication of which way the Court is leaning

• Like 1

2 hours ago, harkinmr said:

That’s just it. I don’t think they will go in July. They even note continued “uncertainty”. I think they slimmed down to their restart fleet and will likely go with those ships in August. It is notable that they made no mention of vaccines in the release. 

Fully agree with you.  I also have a feeling that vaccines were not mentioned at all because of today's hearing in FL.

1 hour ago, Jamesatgsu said:

I wonder if the reasoning is Carnival is considering having some ships fully vaccinated, while having other ships take the test cruise route. 

That is what I have been saying for weeks,  This way some of the fleet will take longer, but will be able to accommodate the under 11 crowd as well as the unvaccinated over the 5% limit.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I still believe follow the money. I'm a money person. Carnival will not do mock cruises. They will not spend the extra time and money.  The whole idea carnival will do mock cruises so they can corner the market on unvaccinated cruises to me is nonsense. Carnival lawyers would block such a liability. 

Sorry I know some believe this. I'm in judge Judy's corner. If it doesnt make sense its probably not true.

By spending the extra time and money, Carnival will gain more money by being able to cater to the under 11 crowd and the unvaccinated that could take up more than 5% on whichever ships in the fleet went with the mock route.  And if the Carnival lawyers were so against this possibly happening, then they would have placed a gag order on Arnold Donald when he made his statement regarding Carnival not mandating vaccines.

2 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

That is what I have been saying for weeks,  This way some of the fleet will take longer, but will be able to accommodate the under 11 crowd as well as the unvaccinated over the 5% limit.

I wonder what percentage of cruisers are 11 & under? Would there be any realistic way they could have them and maintain 95%?

I'm cruising with my kids in November. Unfortunately one of them is only 11 and so he'll fall 2 months short of being fully vaccinated.

2 minutes ago, Jamesatgsu said:

I wonder what percentage of cruisers are 11 & under? Would there be any realistic way they could have them and maintain 95%?

I'm cruising with my kids in November. Unfortunately one of them is only 11 and so he'll fall 2 months short of being fully vaccinated.

I think it would all depend upon the time of year.  Over the summer as well as school breaks, then the 5% could easily be surpassed by those 11 and under.  You also have to factor in the unvaccinated adults into the 5% as well.  Of course they could just lie if there was no true way of validating whether they actually got the jab or not if they provide fake cards.  I certainly would not put that past a certain percentage of Carnival cruisers.

3 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

I think it would all depend upon the time of year.  Over the summer as well as school breaks, then the 5% could easily be surpassed by those 11 and under.  You also have to factor in the unvaccinated adults into the 5% as well.  Of course they could just lie if there was no true way of validating whether they actually got the jab or not if they provide fake cards.  I certainly would not put that past a certain percentage of Carnival cruisers.

If they went the 95% route I think they'd have to require it for 12 & above. I'd bet kids under 12 make up less than 5%, but how they could guarantee it would be a mystery. I expect Pfizer will get the approval in time for my 11 year old to get it as well. If/When they get approval of 2-11, 95% should be a non-issue as banning under 2 or just accepting them in that 5% should be easy.

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

By spending the extra time and money, Carnival will gain more money by being able to cater to the under 11 crowd and the unvaccinated that could take up more than 5% on whichever ships in the fleet went with the mock route.  And if the Carnival lawyers were so against this possibly happening, then they would have placed a gag order on Arnold Donald when he made his statement regarding Carnival not mandating vaccines.

I believe it was great marketing by saying carnival won't mandate vaccines but can point to CDC rules so ppl aren't upset w carnival 

49 minutes ago, Jamesatgsu said:

If they went the 95% route I think they'd have to require it for 12 & above. I'd bet kids under 12 make up less than 5%, but how they could guarantee it would be a mystery. I expect Pfizer will get the approval in time for my 11 year old to get it as well. If/When they get approval of 2-11, 95% should be a non-issue as banning under 2 or just accepting them in that 5% should be easy.

We went to one of the future cruise information presentations on one of our first cruises out of Galveston. This was in the month of April.  The lady shared that anytime school was out was considered higher season rates.  She gave us some numbers.  She shared that the week of our cruise there were just over 300 passengers out of around 3,000 under the age of 18.  The week prior was one of those higher season weeks during spring break.  On that particular cruise there were 1,000 out of 3,000 under the age of 18.  While those were numbers during "normal" times, even during the smaller weeks 10% of the passengers were under 18.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

We went to one of the future cruise information presentations on one of our first cruises out of Galveston. This was in the month of April.  The lady shared that anytime school was out was considered higher season rates.  She gave us some numbers.  She shared that the week of our cruise there were just over 300 passengers out of around 3,000 under the age of 18.  The week prior was one of those higher season weeks during spring break.  On that particular cruise there were 1,000 out of 3,000 under the age of 18.  While those were numbers during "normal" times, even during the smaller weeks 10% of the passengers were under 18.

Those are higher numbers than I would have guessed given when I've been to the kids clubs or just seen walking on board. Lots of them will be in that 12-18 group that can get vaccinated, but even if that were half of the kids, that would still be at 5%. Doesn't sound good for letting younger kids cruise under the 95% rule.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jamesatgsu said:

Those are higher numbers than I would have guessed given when I've been to the kids clubs or just seen walking on board. Lots of them will be in that 12-18 group that can get vaccinated, but even if that were half of the kids, that would still be at 5%. Doesn't sound good for letting younger kids cruise under the 95% rule.

I agree.  If they are going with the vaccination guidelines, it is hard to fathom how that couldn't included those 12 and above.  Will be interesting to see when all their information finally comes out.

3 hours ago, cunnorl said:

There is a Carnival ship, not sure which one docked at Port Canaveral this AM.  First time in a long time that I have seen a ship other than Disney.  

2 hours ago, ricka47 said:

It's the Liberty.

We missed seeing it come in by just minutes - we were on the balcony for sunrise but in came in before then.  I can see the whale tail from our front door though.  They're in port getting their crew vaccinated.  It's the first Carnival ship to come here in months.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cruisemom2 said:

We missed seeing it come in by just minutes - we were on the balcony for sunrise but in came in before then.  I can see the whale tail from our front door though.  They're in port getting their crew vaccinated.  It's the first Carnival ship to come here in months.

I liked this post. If I could love it, I would.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Just a boot on the ground observation from here in Florida on how Florida State agencies are treating the whipsawed Covid 19 policy statements that come from the state's top leadership:

I volunteer at a local Florida State Park. While proclamations were being made that Florida was totally open and to come on down, the reality is that for state parks, we operated under strict restrictions. All  staff and volunteers are required to wear masks and must follow strict distancing rules. This is for the outdoor operations. Indoor areas were closed. To further protect staff, volunteers, and oblivious park visitors, all programs and presentations (again outdoors) have been cancelled because too many people would attend the programs.

Now after the newest blustering, we are no longer allowed to say that the indoor areas are closed due to Covid 19. We instead now have renovation projects and mechanical problems that necessitate the closures. The masks and social distancing for staff and volunteers have been reemphasized (maybe the fact that one staff member died and several became ill from Covid 19 after the spring break crowds, most maskless with young disease vectors in tow, overcrowded the park has something to do with the renewed emphasize on masks).

I am called for jury duty next week,. Again after last week's shenanigans, I received a priority mail letter yesterday reemphasizing the Covid 19  procedures that are still in place for the courthouse and jury pool.

There is a obviously a divide in the state between the political blustering at the top and what state officials who have access to the realities of Covid 19 variants and cases in the state are doing to protect state staff and others who are present in volunteer capacities.

How does this post relate to cruising? It relates to it if for some unknown reason we have a federal judge who didn't brush up on the authority and jurisdiction of the CDC and just dismiss the case being presented today, it is going to be difficult to prove the allegations of  CDC over reach given the facts that are available to those that are capable of understandiing them. 

This might be true for the government workers /‘ staff at these  places, but I spent a good part of the weekend at state parks , and there are no restrictions that I saw in place as a visitor. Also caught many fish. 
we also stayed in a beach resort in st Pete beach ,  are in restaurants again no restrictions .

im vaccinated, if I go into a store that requires it I wear it, I honor it  .. but Florida Is open .  Gov. Workers and there leadership might require it, might resist. But Florida is open .

same is tru down in ft lauderdale lsat weekend .

• Like 1

In my opinion, they are not going to cruise under a 95% requirement.  How do they determine the 5%?  Only kids?  Only Diamond or Platinum?  First on the ship?  I think they will either go 100 % vaccinated or no vaccine requirement.  

• Like 1