The Daily for Sunday May 16, 2021

richwmn

Today is Love a Tree Day, National Sea Monkey Day, and Wear Purple for Peace Day

Surprise is the greatest gift which life can grant us. - Boris Pasternak

Meal suggestion for today - Korean Beef Bulgogi

Drink of the Day - Butterbeer Meets an Old Fashioned

Wine of the day - Champagne Comtesse Gerin Grande Reserve Brut

Port of the Day - Alesund Norway

At Sea English Channel
Eurodam Destination Augusta IT eta 5/22

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination San Diego eta 5/19
Nieuw Amsterdam Drifing off San Diego
Noordam Drifting off Tijuana MX

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay BS
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Westerdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Oosterdam

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0516World.thumb.png.22e3721e1247425337512eb88c690541.png

• Like 33
  • Thanks 7

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Love trees.  I remember seeing the ads for sea monkeys in the back of comic books years ago.  I guess I'll wear purple today too.

The meal sounds interesting.  Not sure about the drink of the day, but I'll wait until I see recipes.

Hope the wine is good.

It's going to be another lovely day, sunny and mild.  I've got lots of gardening to do.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 20

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Just a very quick visit, before Bindi & I head out for our hike. It is a lovely day here!

Looking forward to catching up later!

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

I found one online distributor that offered this champagne for $39.99. But you might find it for less locally. I am not sure what “well poised” in the champagne world means.🤔

Wine Enthusiast- WE88

With 50% Pinot Meunier in the blend, this wine has a soft, attractively open texture sustained by the acidity and bright apple flavors. It is balanced, neither too soft nor too dry, well poised and ready to drink. 

• Like 24

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Intriguing collection of days.  Love trees - they are so beautiful and so important to our environment.

85E66EC7-2C32-4BF2-81E3-878A20E033AF.jpeg.8212719c0a782a28efbcef097701f942.jpeg

OMG - sea monkeys have their own day?  I remember seeing the ads in my younger years.

E63260EA-5AE7-4C89-BC2B-494B091530AD.thumb.png.dceb3ecd9a10c5e52a2b0169efb8e7cd.png

I was surprised at Purple for Peace Day.  It was created to encourage peace as it was thought we earthlings were too hostile for alien visits.  So, it’s goal was to make the world a peaceful place to encourage alien species to make contact with earth. 😱

Love the quote by Pasternak.  Not sure about the meal suggestion, I’ll have to see what Debbie has to say about it.  The champagne sounds tempting except I’m afraid of the price tag.  Cat may surprise me though 😉 

Hoping @rafinmdis improving and doing well at home and worried about @JazzyVand hoping she gets to the hospital for her ultra sound and some answers. 🙏🏻 

Another busy day with the guys coming for more deck work and my 2 hour drive to pick up the “boys”.  I am counting on the deck floor being dry this morning 😉  

Today’s Care List:

Kakalina

Roy’s (rafinmd) recovery from his cardiac surgery

Welfare of furloughed crews

India

JazzyV eye issues & visits to ER, no diagnosis & pending ultrasound

Garlictown difficult recovery from arm surgery

NextOne’s DH  undergoing radiation & hopes for rehab next week

Dani Negreanu - CC poster in Israel facing the bomb strikes

StLouisCruisers’s DS surgery recovery & her DB facing surgery

57redbird’s DH’s knee surgery recovery and she as caregiver

Hoping St. Louis Sal’s drug trial is a success

Hoping VMax1700’s DW’s new medication from oncologist works

Highland Chaser 1957’s DH dental work & her BIL in ICU

Cruizin Terri’s struggle with fraudulent Fed Ex charges

Today’s Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Welcome home Roy’s (rafinmd) after your successful cardiac surgery

Sharon in AZ’s DGD recovering from concussion

Crazy For Cats recovery from reaction to 2nd jab

Welcome home DeeniEncinitas

Next One now has clear water

JazzyV negative covid test

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain (I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Garden Club enthusiasts - take a look at your perennials - if any need splitting, now is the time to do it - otherwise you will need to wait for the Fall.  

Prayers for everyone on the Care list and for those that need them & 🥂 to those on the Celebratory/Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

F7796CC7-CC71-41C9-9E55-400B9C87891D.jpeg.1dee51f7291a92514247e46a924c00d1.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your mask 😷 

• Like 32
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Good Sunday morning.  Love the collection of days and the quote.  Will wait for Debbie's recipe before I think about the meal.  Have not been to the port, hope photo's follow.

Prayers and toasts for our lists.  Roy continue to take it slow and easy.  @JazzyVplease keep us informed, prayers are following you. A neighbor that I thought had gone North has been in the hospital with covid for 30 days.  We are not out of the woods yet.

Stay safe, social distance, and please wear your mask. 

Butterbeer Meets an Old Fashioned:

Ingredients

• 2 OZ. SPICED RUM
  • 3/4 OZ. BUTTERSCOTCH SCHNAPPS
  • ½ OZ. PEACH BRANDY
  • ½ OZ. GINGER SCHNAPPS
  • MARASCHINO CHERRIES
  • GLASS TYPE: OLD FASHIONED

Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 7.04.19 AM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Happy Sunday morning to all!  Thank you Rich for getting up early each day to prepare our Daily for us.  Thanks to Jacqui for taking over the List duty for Roy, and good morning to Roy as he wakes up at home this morning, no doubt thankful to be past his heart procedure and at home again in his own bed.  

Love a Tree Day is a worthwhile cause, and National Sea Monkey Day is great as a whimsical celebration.  I'm sure I can find a shade of purple to adorn myself with today as well.  An interesting quote, and a meal for the day that I would probably not prefer.  We're going to a group barbecue today so the main meal will be determined by them, but I am taking a dessert and need to get busy on that this morning.  My famous pineapple upside down cake!  

Port of the Day is one of the prettiest little towns in Norway.  We saw it in 2016 and 2017 on the Prinsendam, and we have it on our schedule for summer of 2022.  enhance

I will be back with more photos but here is one to whet your appetite.  The Prinsendam with a Disney ship to keep it company down there at the dock.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone,

Rich, thank you for the Daily.

Prayers for everyone on the cares list. 

Roy, glad you’re home and pray that you are on the road to recovery.  You have to be ready for your next cruise.

@JazzyV please let us know what is going on today.  We are all rooting for you and glad I could be of some help last night.  If you need to, click on the email link below my name.  I will be glad to answer and stay in touch—even by phone if necessary.

It is too early to know what I’m doing for the day or what we’re having for dinner, but I don’t think it will be Rich’s suggestion.

I have not been to Norway. However it is on my bucket list. Maybe as we start to get to our new normal I will see the Northern Lights.

I probably will not hear from FedEx until tomorrow, but promise to keep you all posted with my latest info.  Actually that seemed like small potatoes after worrying about @JazzyVall day.  

Prayers for all that need them and a shout out to those who are celebrating.

I will check back in a while to see if we hear from Vanessa.

Happy Sunday and God bless. 

Terri

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Daily, @richwmn and the lists @kazu.  I will certainly try to celebrate trees and peace.  I just googled sea monkeys and what a great concept.  Love the quote.  I slept last night 9:30 to almost 6, one of my best nights since coming home exhausted after being booted from QM2 last March.  Thinking about @JazzyV.  When I was on my Grand Alaska I thought I had a bruise on my leg but some time later discovered that it was just a swelling.  When I got to Fairbanks I went over to the walk in clinic and the Doctor would not let me out without an ultrasound of the leg.  It turned out to be just a fluid mass that they thought would disappear on it's own but were not willing to ignore the possibility of a clot.  It isn't something to take lightly.

Not sure what to think of the meal but I'll probably pass.  My alternative is Chilled Blueberry Soup, Grilled Herb Strip Loin Steak, and Pistachio Ice Cream as served on MS Veendam May 16, 2016.  That's a little before I started doing collages of my meals.

Roy

• Like 38
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Daily, @richwmn and the lists @kazu.  I will certainly try to celebrate trees and peace.  I just googled sea monkeys and what a great concept.  Love the quote.  I slept last night 9:30 to almost 6, one of my best nights since coming home exhausted after being booted from QM2 last March.  Thinking about @JazzyV.  When I was on my Grand Alaska I thought I had a bruise on my leg but some time later discovered that it was just a swelling.  When I got to Fairbanks I went over to the walk in clinic and the Doctor would not let me out without an ultrasound of the leg.  It turned out to be just a fluid mass that they thought would disappear on it's own but were not willing to ignore the possibility of a clot.  It isn't something to take lightly.

Not sure what to think of the meal but I'll probably pass.  My alternative is Chilled Blueberry Soup, Grilled Herb Strip Loin Steak, and Pistachio Ice Cream as served on MS Veendam May 16, 2016.  That's a little before I started doing collages of my meals.

Roy

Glad you’re home Roy. Take it easy today. Sounds like you are on the road to recovery.

Terri

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

enhance

I will be back with more photos but here is one to whet your appetite.  The Prinsendam with a Disney ship to keep it company down there at the dock.

Thanks for the pretty pic of my favourite ship and the port we will visit next year 🙂 

• Like 12

Good morning, everyone!    

I will certainly celebrate peace and trees.  I think only the munitions producers would be against peace.  

I'm going to try to get the last plant in the ground today.   My back screamed at me after three yesterday, but I'm not as sore today as I was after the first time I was out planting.  

Today's meal sounds interesting, but I still have Cilantro Lime chicken wings to finish off along with the steak fajita makings.   That was really good with the marinated flank steak.  

@rafinmd I'm so glad you're home.   Recovery is much better at home.   People tend to recover faster and there is less chance of picking up an infection.  And, we all sleep better in our own beds unless we're on a ship.  

@JazzyVI hope we hear from you soon.   You were the first thing I thought of when I got up this morning.   

https://damndelicious.net/2019/04/21/korean-beef-bulgogi/

Korean-Beef-BulgogiIMG_9246.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5

7 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Great to see you back Roy! Lot quicker comeback than when I had my open heart surgery and aortic valve replacement.

It's amazing what they can do with minimally invasive procedures.

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

More photos of Alesund for those who haven't been before.  View of the town from the Prinsendam as it docked.enhance

In this photo note the building on the top of that hill on the far right.  That is Mt. Aksla, which we would climb up for the view of Alesund.  enhance

A view of the outside bridge wing on the Prinsendam with Captain D. D. and a member of his staff.  I guess the third person is the pilot but I can't say for sure.enhance

View outside of the city enhance

For those who can't walk far and who want to see the town, try this trolley.enhance

We headed off the ship and headed for Mt. Aksla.  enhance

You can always stop and rest along the way.enhance

Along the way they number random steps and here is a special one for me - my birthdate!enhance

The view from the topenhance

enhance

I'm sure there are more interesting photos in my stash so I will add more shortly.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

I visited Alesund in 2017.  I spent most of my time there out of town, but here is the bird's eye view of things.   

I think that last one would make a good jigsaw puzzle.

DSC02197.JPG

DSC02199.JPG

DSC02204 (2).JPG

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Another good night’s sleep and all seems good.  I was even a ambitious enough to make French toast for breakfast this morning.  @dfishthe meal looks amazing and I’m sure we would enjoy it very much.  It reminds me of my favorite spot in the lido, Distant Lands.  It was always a good alternative to the usual dishes in other spots in the lido.    I certainly can enjoy wear purple day, it is my favorite color in my wardrobe.  I hope everyone has a nice Sunday, it’s going to be a very nice day here in MA.

• Like 23

Above the Mt. Aksla restaurant and visitor's building is this marker on a rock.  enhance

I am certain they have tours and local transports to drive you up to the top of Mt. Aksla if you really want to get up there and can't walk it.  enhance

Here is a shot of the end of the stairs near the top.  You can even see MY step, #408.  On the stairs were some of the crew members of the Prinsendam coming up, probably surprised to see the old folks had made it up there ahead of them.  😂This is a prime spot for photo taking.enhance

Some of the servers in the Lido who we were familiar with.enhance

Once we walked back down we took a walking tour of the town.  A beautiful city.enhance

The city was destroyed by fire in 1904 and rebuilt with the favored art nouveau style of the time. enhance

enhance

How beautiful is this?enhance

enhance

enhance

Buildings along the waterfrontenhance

enhance

Alesund Church burned in 1904 and was rebuilt along with the rest of the city.enhance

enhance

Do you think this is really Elvis's hand and footprints?enhance

A troll we spied on a porch.enhance

• Like 37

47 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

It's amazing what they can do with minimally invasive procedures.

Roy

Yes, Wasn’t eligible in 2016. The good thing is the ticker is working smoothly as a Swiss Clock!😁

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 15

Good morning everyone.Interesting quote, but I really don’t like surprises.Another port I haven’t been to so I love seeing everyone’s pictures.

My daughter and her husband made the 10 hour round trip to Rochester, NY to bring my grandson home.Actually, they left NJ at 9:30 am and returned home after packing him up and stopping for some food at about 10:30pm.

While they were gone, DH went over to spend some time with the 15 year old who wanted to go for a walk. He walked so fast that poor DH came home exhausted.

Hoping Jazzy gets some answers tomorrow and happy to see Roy writing today. It makes me hopeful for my friend who is having the mitral valve replaced later this month.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 16