The Daily for Sunday May 16, 2021

richwmn

@summer slope's recipe comes from https://honestcooking.com/butterbeer-cocktail which includes a bit of reference to Harry Potter's favorite drink (It was also the DoD on November 29.)

A somewhat simpler recipe, with a variation for young Harry Potter fans, is “Harry Potter” Butterbeer at   https://www.liquor.com/recipes/harry-potter-butterbeer

• Like 15

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report Rich.  Love trees and had sea monkey (which I think are brine shrimp) as a kid.  I don’t own anything purple so thats not happening. I have had today’s dish once from a local Thai restaurant and it was quite tasty. I love all of the photographs of Ålesund but they’re making me a little sad, as a result of the pandemic our cruise on the Celebrity Reflection later this month was cancelled.  It was supposed to be my 60th birthday cruise and would have been my first visit. All’s well that ends well thought, we turned it into a visit to my mom in northern Michigan next month, she turned 80 in March but couldn’t travel then because we hadn’t been vaccinated yet.  Prayers to all in need of them.  

Edited by Mr. Boston
  • Like 16

Roy, welcome back.  Glad to hear that you were able to get a good night's sleep.  Hope you have a full recovery from your surgery and even with minimal evasive surgery it is still surgery, so take good care of yourself.

• Like 15

Good Morning from a very breezy day at the beach.

I will wear purple today, it is also one of my favorite colors. Sea Monkeys? Who knew that had their own day!

Have not been to Alesund or any port in Norway. We were booked to go in 2020, so it is back on the list. Love the pictures! Thanks for posting them.

Roy- so glad to see you  posting. Hope you are feeling better soon, Rest!

Our friends have invited us to go on their boat this afternoon.  Hope the winds calm down so we can go.  

Watched another Carnival ship coming in this AM.  Probably getting vaccines for the crew.

Stay safe and enjoy today.

• Like 20

We stopped in Alesund in 2018 on Zuiderdam's Viking Passage cruise.

Others have already posted some great pictures of Alesund, which are much nicer than ours - as it was a rather overcast and dreary when we were there.

1568436852_Alesund2.jpg.a665c054ab0597dab2c53372088b4e48.jpg

Plus, we didn't spend much time looking around the town, as we had a full day "Fjords to Trolls" booked. It was a great tour, with one of the highlights was going down the "Troll Path".

480036357_TrollRoad2.jpg.e775aaec2cb442c351ad97d89a3e7cf7.jpg

If anyone is interested, there are more pictures and comments in the review I did of this cruise. The Alesund review starts at post #59. Review of Visits to Norway/Iceland/Greenland on Fall 2018 Cruise. - Page 12 - Holland America Line - Cruise Critic Community

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Trees are so important to our earth; they really are the lungs that keep us all going.  I had sea monkeys as a child - the "seeds" came in a little foil envelope, and they were brine shrimp.  I kept checking day after day to see if they'd turned into monkeys, but nope, it didn't happen.  My mom finally got tired of the gucky looking water and tossed them into the garbage.  LOL   Love purple so I'll see what I've got in my wardrobe for today.

Yesterday was a busy day spent putting out all the annuals and getting them into their appropriate containers.  I did a count last night and we have 26 different vessels that I planted, and wow, did I ever sleep well after that!  I know the number pales in comparison to what @kazuhas, but for us it's a lot.

I like the meal suggestion for today and am intrigued by the addition of pear, which is such a subtle flavour.  I'm going to tuck that one away for another day though, (probably after getting groceries for the pears) and will make a baked chicken dish called Freakishly Good Chicken.  I belong to a FB group called The Official Quarantine Cookbook where the recipe has been getting rave reviews, so will have to see what it's all about.  I've got tomatoes & cucumbers needing to be used, so will put together a Greek salad to enjoy with the chicken.   And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra healing prayers for Roy.  Also, extra prayers for @JazzyV as she deals with her medical issues.  Raising the wine glasses to toast all on the happy list (again, thanks @kazu for taking care of it for Roy).  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands, wear your mask(s) when you need to, and get your jabs!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 24

23 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good morning and thanks for the update.

Its a beautiful sunny day here but possibly thunderstorms later.

We have a BHB on Tuesday to look forward to.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

Excuse me for being so stupid.  I keep seeing BHB and have no idea what it means.  Will somebody clue me in. 

Thanks,

Terri

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Excuse me for being so stupid.  I keep seeing BHB and have no idea what it means.  Will somebody clue me in. 

Thanks,

Terri

Blue Hulled Beauty . . . a Dam ship.  And you're not stupid, it took me a few times before I figured it out.

Smooth Sailing!🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good morning and thanks for the update.

Its a beautiful sunny day here but possibly thunderstorms later.

We have a BHB on Tuesday to look forward to.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

Hopefully I’ll remember in time to watch the NS arrive.

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Blue Hulled Beauty . . . a Dam ship.  And you're not stupid, it took me a few times before I figured it out.

Smooth Sailing!🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Definitely better than the Urban Dictionary meaning!!!

• Like 5

Good  morning to  all. I  had  to  look  up  sea  monkeys but  will  salute  trees  and  wear  purple  today.

The  recipe  is going  to  be  tried  as   soon  as  I  can  get  the  best  sort  of  meat  for  it. I  worked  with  a  lovely  Korean woman  who  would  make  this  for  department  pot  lucks  and  it  was  always a  huge  hit.

@JazzyV, I  hope  you  are  getting  appropriate  medical  assistance  by  now. It  has  to  be  very  stressful not  knowing  what  the  diagnosis  is.

The  picture  below  was  taken  from  the  Veendam in  a  fjord.....not  exactly Alesund.....

IMG_0795.JPG

• Like 23

Good morning from a very grey, wet central Texas.  It is the beginning of a week of rain, and three days for off and on heavy rain.  But it is not gloomy in our house today as oldest DD and DSIL on their way for a visit today.  They should be here in about two hours if there are no problems on the road.  Yesterday, when it looked like they were coming, we did a quick grocery run, and then I got dessert and the potato salad made.  The ham will go in the oven later, and the asparagus in the air fryer just before we eat.  So I'm doing a happy dance.

I am still concerned about @JazzyV. Vanessa.  I was surprised last night the ER did not have at least one person available to work an ultrasound machine.  Hoping she is at the out patient clinic now, and will let us know what she learns.

Trees are always nice, but I must admit, I am not fond of the cedar trash and oak leaves that get in our car/rv port every time the wind blows.  I remember the ads for sea monkeys in the distant past, but not sure about a day for them. 

Purple is my favorite color, but unfortunately, two of my purple shirts are in the dirty clothes hamper, an the third one is hugging a little to tightly.  Could it have shrunk in the last year?  Just looked more closely at my shirt, and there is a little purple in the embroidery; so I guess I'm wearing purple after all.

Like the Boris Pasternak quote, but like my surprises in small doses.

@rafinmd Roy, it is so nice to see you posting your alternative meal suggestions and your sunrise pictures.  Glad you got a good night's sleep.

@kazu Love the meme about wine and duct tape.

We have been to Alesund on the Prinsendam in 2011 and 2016.  Both times we had grey skies and heavy clouds.  In 2011, we walked around and road the city bus.  In 2016, we took the Ho-Ho and walked around town.

One of our stops in 2011 on our city bus "tour" was the aquarium, which is a nice aquarium for a small town.

P1030024.thumb.JPG.875907db1026cdd596fa3cc016e82370.JPG

One of the more unusual fish on display, but I don't know what it is.

P1020998.thumb.JPG.e943e1970c2e80c93e7384acdfbedd08.JPG

Some of their outdoor residents, who are far from home

P1030023.thumb.JPG.1172848fa0af798239f9e837cb4c834f.JPG

Looking toward the sea from the back outside display area

P1030020.thumb.JPG.5a6007452ae626b596bd0a56cd954c09.JPG

A few pictures from our walks around on both stops

P1020980.thumb.JPG.6560d90753ef667546947a33f9b4d5cb.JPG

P1030027.thumb.JPG.0ffce86a1476ac1e842ee1bc08f0ac51.JPG

P1030028.thumb.JPG.0338b922fff52b94d26aa8db814f3885.JPG

P1030029.thumb.JPG.1a8bb486a3914a185da3f4bd36dbf9c5.JPG

A last look of town as the Prinsendam sailed toward the next port

DSC05727.thumb.JPG.c4ae1b60db45a3eafd77a7538ebe4328.JPG

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Good Sunday morning!  Thank you to everyone who contributes to this thread, it’s the bright spot of my morning.

Healing thoughts to all on the care list and cheers to the celebratory list.  Good to see Roy back posting and “spinning around”.

We were in Ålesund June 24, 2015, on the Caribbean Princess (North Cape and Summer Solstice Cruise).  We rented a car there and drove out to Godøya Island, so my photos are a bit different than some others.  To reach Godøya, we had to drive over several bridges and cross three islands.

DSCF0757.thumb.jpg.460c2acbabbbc4f8dd4216fb6bfb6cb9.jpg

Our destination

DSCF0758.thumb.jpg.e27c79aadf1f5a36734f88a7495722d3.jpg

DSC01712.thumb.jpg.6273159990b1064dd00cdb724364836a.jpg

DSC01714.thumb.jpg.a0e7b773a4ab8b10cf5ddf7abf8178bf.jpg

Alnes Fyr lighthouse on Godøya IslandDSC01716.thumb.jpg.95cb86966403ee41ff26bb7ae02d83d3.jpg

DSC01719.thumb.jpg.d799aa86cd9982f0bd30bb7f45fbd4d0.jpg

DSC01720.thumb.jpg.a67e4253b1ae9c4203550669c1db1fe5.jpg

DSCF0769.thumb.jpg.f5970afff6f011d43b1c64449c2c5c15.jpg

DSCF0770.thumb.jpg.ccb41809eb094e829ac63563b206d90e.jpg

DSCF0771.thumb.jpg.5c0e5d2c0fc7e4b40a5a27c736694da6.jpg

DSCF0772.thumb.jpg.d636a4962f2a95b4ff730cbf26a69b24.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

Roy @rafinmdwelcome home, I'm so glad you're home now and doing well.  Take it slow and easy 🙂

@JazzyVplease keep us updated, prayers that you get answers SOON.

Love a tree day is sure appropriate right now as there are so many beautiful blooming deciduous trees around us. And, of course, living in the Evergreen State, we have our share of evergreens. 🙂   I too remember seeing those ads as a child for the sea monkeys -- I never had any, but the thought was intriguing!  I don't have much purple, maybe one gardening shirt I can wear today. 😉  

The meal today looks SO good!  Since we need to make a run to the store, will make that tonight -- yum!

Yesterday (as usual) I ended up doing 75% of the gardening in one day to make up for the 2 weeks we were gone -- and my back was screaming last night.  It did feel good though after so much sitting in the car, and so much fun to see how things had grown while I was gone.

This is our oldest grandson's birthday today.  I can't believe he's 8 already.  The time goes much too fast.  We'll be celebrating with him next week, he's camping with the family this weekend.

We were in Alesund on the VOV in 2018.  We took the 8-hour tour "Romsdal and the Troll Path" and had a marvelous time.  The enormous buffet lunch included was the best ever, and we've had some fabulous meals on some tours.  We didn't spend any time in the town (hopefully will get back again) so I appreciate others' photos of the town.  

waterfall.thumb.jpg.25b774d4e58192512608329d578e4cf5.jpg

Part of the 11 hairpin turns 

571744960_11hairpinturns.thumb.jpg.e8ed89148d1bcedfca75315cbf87122d.jpg

1235644705_huntershouse.jpg.c405375812f58b980eb67e4f520dc7fa.jpg

water.jpg.62ff4c84ba0daa0ee52a5494e7a836fd.jpg

2039945741_bluewater.thumb.jpg.3b79f6b72277add66cff54877a88b7f0.jpg

1093256379_flowersandbike.jpg.2687b011167fc94aad897cb56112764f.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

Lenda --

What happened??  Somehow the gremlins added my photos to the end of your post!! 😵

I noticed that and wondered where they came from.  Once I saw them in you post, I had time to edit them out of mine.  It might have happened as I was doing another edit when the new post message appeared.  With computers, you really never know what causes some things.    At least, I think everything is in the right place now.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Yeah, that was weird.  

Yes it was!!

3 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I notice that and wondered where they came from.  Once I saw them in you post, I had time to edit them out of mine.  I might have happened as I was doing another edit when the new post message appeared.  With computers, you really never know what causes some things.    At least, I think everything is in the right place now.

Lenda

When I was working, we said things like this were caused by the "blue fairy" 🧚‍♂️

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

👍Thank You for the Daily, Rich @richwmn and to Jacqui @kazu for the Care and Celebration Lists.

Yes, hoping @JazzyVgets some answers today! So happy for @rafinmd that his recovery is going well.😊

I did try the Butterbeer at Universal Studios in FL since I'm a Harry Potter fan ( just a big kid here!)😉

Alesund was included in the itinerary for us on the Rotterdam but who knows where the photos are??...am reliving the voyage through the great photos from other CC members.❤

Prayers to all in need!🙏

Katie

a99b23314bb138b9f8b4ee20c678a858.jpg

• Like 22