Dress Code

stamford57

dress code.... almost back to normal.... now we need some ships....

the way I interpret it, cruise line, like a bit of decorum in MDR  particularly at dinner, 

but there are some who agreed and others who don't.

look at it as a request.......

Having said that everybody is aware of the Cunard dress standard, which is old school...

they make it point of explaining it....   it is simple  if it is not for you, don't go....

So Cunard is not our list of cruise line,, but one does make a little effort to look reasonable when going to dinner... to make it an occasion...  if you want to eat and not dine you can go to buffet

Cheers Don

• Like 5

I am old school for formal dressing-- I love to wear my evening gowns and DH just had his tux altered and ready to go for all our upcoming cruises. We purchase the photo packages and have lots of beautiful shots in our dress-up outfits.

I book Princess, Celebrity and Cunard because I WANT to dress up and be elegant.

RCL, NCL and Carnival are more casual, but I still see plenty of formal wear on those cruises.  

And yes, we are somewhat critical of those who do not embrace the cruising lifestyle and pack a few nice outfits.  (Of course it is always easier to be a lazy slob.) 

Can't wait for my Princess Cruise summer of 2022 to Italy and Greece!

• Like 6

8 hours ago, franktown said:

I'm my last Caribbean cruise just before the shutdown the adult male that dined with us was refused entry into the MDR twice for wearing shorts.  His wife let him go to the buffet and she ate with us.  

I wonder whether he thought the first person to refuse him entry was joking.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Like 1

Shorts for breakfast and lunch. Not in the MDR for dinner. The only time I want to see a mans legs on formal night is if he’s wearing a kilt !!

We have, however found a smart alternative to a dinner jacket, especially for long or for B2B cruises.

My husband wears waistcoats. Smart, snazzy and easy to pack.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I don't care what your husband wears. I have more important business like minding my own.

I have no political view of what this lady's husband wears either but insofar as she has politely asked a question we should be respectful and try to advise the likely outcome in a friendly manner.

Kind Regards John

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tak8 said:

I'm sure Princess will soon announce that vaccinated passengers may wear shorts in the dining room.  In keeping with future predictions,  here are the winning numbers for tomorrow's Jumbo Bucks lottery game...

This made me chuckle out loud 😂😂

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, 1965 said:

Yes!! Back to normal. I LOVE it.

I love it😁 But we will not be back to normal until the complaints start about how much BUTTER you receive at dinner. 😳😁. BTW I will never where shots at dinner.

Tony

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Just wish cruiselines would set a dress code and enforce it!

Last cruise, pre Covid was July 2019 , Caribbean Princess, in the Caribbean. We were sitting outside MDR in a bar having pre dinner drink. Being interested (nosy) we saw  one man being allowed in wearing paint splattered joggers, another in smart tailored shorts was refused entry !!! I know which one I would have preferred to be seated with.

11 hours ago, RonPaula said:

Not the least bit offended.  I wanted to make clear to Princess cruisers that  dining in the MDR on RCI is not a free for all. We have always followed the suggested dress guidelines from when our children were small through our most recent cruise in February 2020. How people dress helps contribute to the overall vibe in a venue. Just as white tablecloths, formal place settings and the wait staff in uniforms help define the atmosphere.  And no, we aren’t cruising with you in January 2023. We’re doing a Panama Canal in February 2023. Hopefully no new COVID-like illness to deal with.

Paula

excellent post

12 hours ago, oskidunker said:

There really is no dress code. They dont want to confront anyone.

Agree.....we tend to do mostly 20/30 day cruises and it seems the longer the cruise the less the dress code is rigidly enforced......and also the itinerary can make a big difference......I am sure the same one's promoting the strict dress code probably followed Covid-19 protocols to a fault also......😜

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, john watson said:

I have no political view of what this lady's husband wears either but insofar as she has politely asked a question we should be respectful and try to advise the likely outcome in a friendly manner.

Kind Regards John

Thanks John, I didn’t realise this would be such an emotive topic 😉 I do appreciate your nice reply. If one thing the last year has taught me, it’s to not take things to heart and enjoy life while you can! Even if it is in shorts 😃😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, stamford57 said:

Thanks John, I didn’t realise this would be such an emotive topic 😉

LOL - maybe you have not been around the Princess board for very long.  Not only have dress code threads in the past been zones of hot debate, several have eventually been deleted by moderators just to put the fires out.  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

LOL - maybe you have not been around the Princess board for very long.  Not only have dress code threads in the past been zones of hot debate, several have eventually been deleted by moderators just to put the fires out.  😉

New to Princess board, a very interesting welcome haha! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

This was posted outside the dining rooms on Coral Princess on one of our cruises.

image.thumb.jpeg.abb29bce14f9187a82528c017aa8974b.jpeg

I just think it's sad that it is deemed necessary to post such a notice!

Do people have no standards? 

Regardless of dress code arguments, why does anyone need to wear a baseball cap in a formal restaurant?  Just sad.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 8

10 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Regardless of dress code arguments, why does anyone need to wear a baseball cap in a formal restaurant?  Just sad.

agreed - on dress-up picture night - I wear a khaki colored  'visor' with black lettering - my smart casual visor has white lettering ...

no baseball caps for me

• Haha 2

On 5/17/2021 at 8:31 AM, stamford57 said:

Thanks John, I didn’t realise this would be such an emotive topic 😉 I do appreciate your nice reply. If one thing the last year has taught me, it’s to not take things to heart and enjoy life while you can! Even if it is in shorts 😃😃

This thread so far has actually been pretty tame and that is to your credit...   your reactions to the responses have been patient and respectful.  A different OP may have not fared so well, and I appreciate your staying on the high road. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2021 at 5:19 AM, PrincessLuver said:

Agree.....we tend to do mostly 20/30 day cruises and it seems the longer the cruise the less the dress code is rigidly enforced......and also the itinerary can make a big difference......I am sure the same one's promoting the strict dress code probably followed Covid-19 protocols to a fault also......😜

I booked my next two cruises on Cunard as I enjoy dressing up.  Probably the last formal line. Princess should just do away with dress code if they area afraid to enforce it. Not enjoying wearing a tuxedo. And sitting next to a guy wearing a sweatshirt. . 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

No matter what type of hat I may be wearing it comes off in a restaurant. Period.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1