What is going on with Princess?

lovey1103

Information on Impacted & Cancelled Cruises

Updated May 20, 2021 1:30pm PT

Like so many facets of life, travel has been hit hard by recent events. It is with a heavy heart that Princess Cruises has made the extremely difficult decision to temporarily pause our global ship operations. We know you were looking forward to sailing with us, and we apologize and share in your disappointment over these cancellations. You don’t need to take any action to receive the default compensation offer. You can find out details of your compensation by clicking the link that matches your sail date below.

Not sure what you are referring to.  Princess plans to start cruising from Alaska in July, but still may have a few challenges.  If the CDC gives the ok, Princess will start cruising in July/August.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, lovey1103 said:

https://www.princess.com/plan/impacted-and-cancelled-cruises/

I could be way off base as I have not been on the boards or in cruise mode for awhile.

A friend of mine sent this link to me this morning. Perhaps this is old news.

K

I think the way they have things worded on that page is confusing. Probably just hasn't been updated. We booked the Majestic for an 8/29 sailing, and that's listed as a replacement cruise, so it's a go. Click through to the pdfs that are linked in the page you posted. Scroll down for specific dates on specific ships. Original sailings are on the left; replacements are on the right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lovey1103 said:

Information on Impacted & Cancelled Cruises

Updated May 20, 2021 1:30pm PT

Like so many facets of life, travel has been hit hard by recent events. It is with a heavy heart that Princess Cruises has made the extremely difficult decision to temporarily pause our global ship operations.......

Immediately followed by all the cruises that will be going on in 2021.

They simply haven't updated the language from the original round of cancellations. People read far too much in everything.

Princess will remain cautious and be totally ready when and if the time is right.  Alaska is opening up because Congress finally put something in front of POTUS to sign to get around not having to stop in a foreign port with a roundtrip Seattle booking.  There should be some announcement regarding Canada/New England in a couple of weeks and it still looks very good for the European itineraries later this year.

5 minutes ago, Grego said:

Princess will remain cautious and be totally ready when and if the time is right

Diamond, Ruby, Grand ... Princess has to have a flawless re-start, and may be one of the last

Side note : the CB has been making almost weekly stops at Port Everglades - hopefully something more than just re-supplying is going on

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grego said:

There should be some announcement regarding Canada/New England in a couple of weeks and it still looks very good for the European itineraries later this year.

They can re-start Hawaii round trips and CA and Mexican Riviera cruises again too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Grego said:

Princess will remain cautious and be totally ready when and if the time is right.  Alaska is opening up because Congress finally put something in front of POTUS to sign to get around not having to stop in a foreign port with a roundtrip Seattle booking.  There should be some announcement regarding Canada/New England in a couple of weeks and it still looks very good for the European itineraries later this year.

I would think that Canada/New England would still be problematic as long as the border is still closed.

56 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

They can re-start Hawaii round trips and CA and Mexican Riviera cruises again too.

How will Princess handle the Hawaii Safe Travel Program where everyone entering the state has to have  a negative Covid - 19 test 72 hours prior to entering the state and also some islands have testing at arrival too?  Hawaii only accepts Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified testing center. 

3 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

How will Princess handle the Hawaii Safe Travel Program where everyone entering the state has to have  a negative Covid - 19 test 72 hours prior to entering the state and also some islands have testing at arrival too?  Hawaii only accepts Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified testing center. 

By the time Princess returns to Hawaii, September is when they usually start the West Coast roundtrips, I would expect Hawaii to be done with the testing requirements.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Our Enchanted Med cruise for October 2, 2021 was cancelled. I believe all those Med  cruises for the rest of 2021 were too. I believe the  Enchanted is heading toward Florida.

We had an Oct 2021 Med cruise cancelled but hoping that our Jan 2022 Caribbean is a go

28 minutes ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Our Enchanted Med cruise for October 2, 2021 was cancelled. I believe all those Med  cruises for the rest of 2021 were too. I believe the  Enchanted is heading toward Florida.

Yes I was on the Sept 2021 Med cruise and it got cancelled. I don't really understand why.

I know they're still shuffling things around and making plans for restarting. All Holland America Line ships that weren't sold off are currently getting plans in place for restarting on a staggered basis, mostly to allow for vaccination of crew and re-crewing the ships in general. 

Majestic Princess is currently anchored off Long Beach harbor and just got a bunch of crew on board, they're on the 14 day quarantine period now and are either vaxx'd or have just been vaxx'd when they signed on. 

Ruby and Grand are next for the West Coast. (Grand has been partially recrewed and vaccinations happened then as well, currently near La Paz, Mexico. Ruby is in Long Beach harbor for refueling/resupply and will soon take on new crew as well.) 

The announcements about the Majestic sailing to Alaska was just the first part. They'll be making more announcements very soon about the rest of the fleet. (Source: one of my best friends is an assistant cruise director for Princess and they're currently getting weekly updates from Corporate.)

All I know is I can't wait to get back on the Grand in September!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, scottca075 said:

By the time Princess returns to Hawaii, September is when they usually start the West Coast roundtrips, I would expect Hawaii to be done with the testing requirements.

I totally agree, as we are booked on the Grand for a November 5th sailing to Hawaii, from San Pedro...

7 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I would think that Canada/New England would still be problematic as long as the border is still closed.

I wish they would make the announcement that the Canada/New England cruises are cancelled. 

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

where are these 'new crew' coming from and how did /will they get to the west coast ?

They're being flown in as they usually would. For instance, the AustralAsian crew usually fly in via multiple stop flights into LAX the day or two before sign on and end up at either the LAX airport Hilton or the Holiday Inn Express a few blocks down. Sign on day, they get picked up in the morning and are taken to the ship for the normal sign on process. As with any ship, the crew are coming from literally all over the world. 

Right now the ship that is most crewed in the US market is the Majestic since they'll be the first to sail from the US. But as we speak, most ships are running on minimum staffing (bridge crew, engineering, small kitchen crews and small detachment of housekeeping). That'll change in the coming weeks as they have to start getting the ships ready for passengers.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, VengefulWalnut said:

as they have to start getting the ships ready for passengers.

We are scheduled to sail on the Ruby RT to Cabo out of LA on August 28, 2021! I sure hope we are able to sail.