Bringing a 1 year old baby onboard to Alaska in September 2021

Hi everyone!  I am thinking about going on Ovation Alaska Cruise Sep 3-10th 2021  with my 1 year old son ( covid baby born Aug 2020) . it will be his first trip EVER. is this a crazy idea? hahah. i like this trip because its over labor day so less vacation days from work for me, and its on the ovation which is such a cool ship.  and with everyone onboard being vaccinated or negative covid test, seems like it might be safe for my little one?? Thoughts?? i tried to ask the cruise line if the nursery onboard would be open or things like that, but they dont know yet. I could wait to book until after the test voyages are completed, but the price is so good right now.  payment is due in full by next week. worst comes to worst if it cancels i take the 125% for another trip hahah 

Congratulations on your new baby!     I love that age.    I wish mine were babies again 🙂There is still a lot of unknowns but if are okay with taking a chance and booking it now while the price is right, go for it.    Worst case you end up with a FCC if you cancel or a full refund if they cancel (or maybe a lift and shift to another time).   

To each their own.  DW and I did not take kids on a cruise until the youngest was 12.  We kept them at home and grandma and grandpa stayed.  (Now we are the grandparents so we stay home, it’s run a full circle).

I realize everyone does not have people they can leave their kids with.

In 19, and pre Covid 20 we cruised in February.  Very few children on board, which made one couple stand out a little, as they had two little ones both in strollers, I would estimate 1 and 2 years old.  They may have had a great time, but the looks on their faces were agony.  On a sea day, they were sitting in a dark far back corner of a lounge, as both kids took naps.  I would have found it a bit difficult to do shore excursions, fine dining, live shows, late evenings and sleeping in if I wanted.  I don’t know what it was like for them but they both looked.......well I would use the word miserable, perhaps I should just say.....like they were not having a great time.

Everyone is different, if you go into it with the right frame of mind I think you will not have the same look.

Eddie

• Like 4

your 1 yr old should be OK, most of the passengers will be vaccinated. Besides, it's rare for little ones to get really sick from the virus. But if they test him, as required, and he tests positive, are you prepared for the protocols they will institute.

You don't need our opinion, we are not medical experts. If you want to go then go for it and have a great time. Take plenty of pictures of your son that you can show him once he is grown. 😀

Edited by PCWalton1
  • Like 5

21 minutes ago, wolfcathorse said:

your 1 yr old should be OK, most of the passengers will be vaccinated. Besides, it's rare for little ones to get really sick from the virus. But if they test him, as required, and he tests positive, are you prepared for the protocols they will institute.

My understand is that if the kid tests positive, he can’t get on the ship. They have to check him at the cruise terminal and pick him up when they return. No?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Since you asked - my opinion is no way would I take a 1 year old on a cruise right now.  Health risks aside - why happens if the ship gets delayed and doesn't return for two or three days - are you prepared to pack extra diapers, baby food, etc? What if you or your baby gets sick,(not necessarily covid, but something else?)

Early September in Alaska can be beautiful, but also cold and damp/rainy - it might not be great pushing a baby around in a stroller under those conditions.

Personally, I would wait until the baby is older, but I have a feeling your mind is already made up.

• Like 6

Go for it. My son had his first birthday on a cruise and the staff in the windjammer brought him a little cake. Whether the vacation is land based or a cruise it’s different when you have kids but it’s still enjoyable. We have wonderful memories from cruises when our kids were younger. 

41 minutes ago, mek said:

Since you asked - my opinion is no way would I take a 1 year old on a cruise right now.  Health risks aside - why happens if the ship gets delayed and doesn't return for two or three days - are you prepared to pack extra diapers, baby food, etc? What if you or your baby gets sick,(not necessarily covid, but something else?)

Early September in Alaska can be beautiful, but also cold and damp/rainy - it might not be great pushing a baby around in a stroller under those conditions.

Personally, I would wait until the baby is older, but I have a feeling your mind is already made up.

Every parent packs extra everything, especially if it's their first child.  Anyone can sick anywhere, I wouldnt think like that.  

If it is damp, cold or rainy there are plenty of indoor places to go and things to do.

19 minutes ago, SonicShip said:

I am bring my 8th month old on a cruise next month for her first cruise. We do about 10 cruises a year and I am sure she will be fine.

Your son will do ok.

Excellent,  get them used to traveling while young and he will enjoy much better as he gets older.

• Like 1

thank you everyone!! 

17 hours ago, zekekelso said:

My understand is that if the kid tests positive, he can’t get on the ship. They have to check him at the cruise terminal and pick him up when they return. No?

haha zeke i wonder if we are related hahah. yes if he tests positive we leave him there, just kidding hahah.  we would test 72 hours before the trip so we would still be in texas if he tested positive.  then it looks like cruise line is also testing before boarding. the website says "Royal Caribbean guests age 16 and older must complete all doses of their COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days before their sailing.  Guests under the age of this requirement don’t need to be vaccinated and will receive a SARS-Cov-2 test before boarding" .  i have the cruise on hold until next week and then it has to be paid in full. my parents said they would come too so i would have help. my husband says he is not using his vacation days for somewhere we have been before. but last time we did alaska was on HAL Oosterdam in 2016 so this will be alot different haha. 

15 minutes ago, thetravelingkelsos said:

thank you everyone!! 

haha zeke i wonder if we are related hahah. yes if he tests positive we leave him there, just kidding hahah.  we would test 72 hours before the trip so we would still be in texas if he tested positive.  then it looks like cruise line is also testing before boarding. the website says "Royal Caribbean guests age 16 and older must complete all doses of their COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days before their sailing.  Guests under the age of this requirement don’t need to be vaccinated and will receive a SARS-Cov-2 test before boarding" .  i have the cruise on hold until next week and then it has to be paid in full. my parents said they would come too so i would have help. my husband says he is not using his vacation days for somewhere we have been before. but last time we did alaska was on HAL Oosterdam in 2016 so this will be alot different haha. 

congrats on your baby, they are amazing.  first i dont think it is a good idea? i would not bring any person on the ship w/o vaccine as there are to many unknowns let alone a baby. second, you would really trust a stranger, let alone most likely one from a third world country with your 1 year old? maybe you should ask your baby's pediatrician and see what he says.  leave your baby safely at home and you go on the cruise if you are vaccinated.  safety is relative i guess...lol  pardon the pun

Edited by ericfromri
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Every parent packs extra everything, especially if it's their first child.  Anyone can sick anywhere, I wouldnt think like that.  

If it is damp, cold or rainy there are plenty of indoor places to go and things to do.

But who wants to go to Alaska to be indoors?

• Like 1

We took our 7 month old on his first cruise (Caribbean) 26 years ago.  To address any issues of not being able to do nighttime entertainment, etc, we did what we thought was necessary.  We brought along a grandmother on the cruise with us.  We had a great cruise.  Our son , now 27, has cruised with us many times since.  I would personally not travel alone on a cruise ship with a 1-year old in the current environment.  Too many unknowns.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Like 1

Congratulations! It will be a fun cruise.

We've had family cruises and had a 6-month old, 7-month old, and 1-year old...we all had a great time.

That said...

None of them remember the cruise.  How many of you have any memories as a 1-year old?

Yes, please take lots of pictures and videos...it will be fun looking at pictures and watching videos when your son gets older.

True story: My Godson, who was 6-months during our cruise, slept on my chest at Labadee.  He didn't believe me when I told him he peed on my chest.  He's excuse...he was to young to remember.  Fair enough..........so I showed him my only evidence...a picture.  We all laugh at it now.

1 hour ago, mek said:

But who wants to go to Alaska to be indoors?

Weather is unpredictable wherever you go.    September can be beautiful in Alaska or it can be rainy just like the caribbean or anywhere.     No one wants to be indoors when traveling anywhere but it's a chance you take.    heck I hated all the thunderstorms we had yesterday where I live. 

We cruised with our oldest when he was 1 to Hawaii and our youngest took her first when she was 6 months. I'm sure there were some struggles, but all we remember is the fun memories. It is different than travel pre-baby, but life is different than pre-baby :). Go, you won't regret it! If you have specific questions of how we handled things on board, feel free to message me. There is also a cruising with kids board that is a wealth of information. Happy cruising!

14 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Weather is unpredictable wherever you go.    September can be beautiful in Alaska or it can be rainy just like the caribbean or anywhere.     No one wants to be indoors when traveling anywhere but it's a chance you take.    heck I hated all the thunderstorms we had yesterday where I live. 

I guess everyone has different expectations when going to Alaska. Personally I want to do the adventure activities and those aren't possible with even a young child.  

And no, a cold rainy day in Alaska is nothing like a warm rainy day in the Caribbean.

To each his own.

2 minutes ago, mek said:

I guess everyone has different expectations when going to Alaska. Personally I want to do the adventure activities and those aren't possible with even a young child.  

And no, a cold rainy day in Alaska is nothing like a warm rainy day in the Caribbean.

To each his own.

oh I hear ya and agree adventure activities is the way to go most places we travel too.   For me any day it rains while on vacation is a bad day.    If the ship sails I am sure the new parents will have a nice trip.

18 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

My understanding is that the CDC is requiring 100% vaccination on Alaska cruises this year, therefore, your 1 year old would not be allowed.

You are correct. No children under 12 until a vaccine comes out for them.

• Like 1

Though little older my Daughter was almost 2 when she started, Son 4 and oldest 8. Single Dad raising 3 kids, we'd Cruise at least 1-2 times a yr. Always had a Blast. Realize I was Lucky, all 3 potty trained B4 age 2 and well behaved in Public. At Home, not always....

• Like 2

Having a space on board that the baby can play is a huge benefit. That depends on the ship though. On Allure our then 1 YO DD had a great time in the play area and the movie theater in Adventure Ocean. She was not a fan of being left in the nursery at all so be prepared to spend 24/7 with the child in case that happens to you. 

As with a lot of life a cruise with baby is a very different experience than your adults' only cruises may have been. The staff is great though throughout the ship and typically love kids.