When you're FINALLY back on board ...

keels81

Do you anticipate your cruising behavior to change at all? Maybe splurge on a higher-category room? Book an extra specialty meal?

Or are there any special cruise traditions that you can't just WAIT to get back to?

While we wait for the powers that be to decide our cruising fates, let's talk about the FUN STUFF!

For me, after 15 months of being shut-in/shutdown and missing Mardi Gras, bal masques, formal events, dressy holidays and just getting dressed up for a night out in general ... I'm ready to get some of my gowns out of moth balls and get REALLY dressed up at night! The husband is even making noise about getting a new tux (we really like dressing up)!

Though, it may be a challenge to get me to wear "hard pants" in Alaska ... the soft clothes habit may stick from being homebound. 🤣

What say y'all?

Between COVID-delayed cruises and new plans, I have just as many bookings in the next 18 months as cruises I took in the past five years... I can't wait to be back at sea!

A really simple thing I've missed is watching the sun rise over the ocean while doing laps on the walking track. Nothing compares to sunrises or sunsets on the water.

I'm looking forward to new destinations, new stateroom classes, and trying new things. I've gotten a lot of good ideas from reading this site over the past year.

Edited by zaxanon6
  • Like 4

I will no longer sweat the small stuff on board. Steak under cooked or over cooked? No problem. Pool lounges hard to come by? I'll manage. Someone sneakily using their phone during trivia? Well that's a bridge too far! Otherwise, I'll just be happy to be back on the high seas.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

I did two cruises out of Germany last July and October - no boarding without getting tested before hand. I really must say- one appreciates everything a bit more - things that one took for granted. The look out to the sea. Geting spoiled by faboulous crew. I could go on and on.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kasowell2 said:

I will be so excited to hear the ding dong of the sea pass in the machine. I know they may have changed but the thought is still happening 

This!

I also miss the elevator chimes. The first time I hear that, I may get a little misty-eyed.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, kasowell2 said:

I will be so excited to hear the ding dong of the sea pass in the machine. I know they may have changed but the thought is still happening 

Absolutely! Love this sound.

We usually cruise in standard balconies or concierge class, but we've got 2 aft corner sky suites booked for next year - and a royal suite for this year.

Would like to get in the cruise that we completely lost  - Panama Canal with aft Sky Suites with friends. I thhink it will have to wait a little longer, but there is some long cruise in our future

11 minutes ago, clivey said:

I’m hoping my lips don’t stick to the ice on the Martini Bar when I kiss it!

Isn't it a shame the E class did away with that?  We'll be getting used to a new room and new dining venue having booked a corner Sky for our first trip back.  We're always AQ, and have unpacking in that room down to a science.  Never had a butler either.  It's the Silhouette TA, so I'll have lots of sea days to figure out what a butler does.  C'mon USA and UK, get it together and open up!

I’ll have to kiss the bartender on the Edge in July and the bar on the Equinox in August!  We have a corner suite on Silhouette too at the end of September so hoping they aren’t still restricted to UK residents only by then.  You will LOVE your butler!!  My favorite perk was requesting lattes and almond croissants for breakfast and a great cheese/fruit plate in the afternoon.  Enjoy!!

I doubt my cruising behavior will change, though I will appreciate it a lot more. As for what I'm looking forward to most --- Everything ... just Everything! We don't cruise until next March, but I am really looking forward to it. We are taking basically the same cruise that we had to miss last January to the ABC islands.

• Like 1

I am absolutely certain that the morning we sail I will wake with a smile and will be unable to get it off my face until my head lays down on my bed in our room.  I anticipate some tears of joy walking up the walkway to the ship and, yeah, hearing that ding from the sea pass machine will be wonderful.

We won't change much, but as others have said, we will appreciate how lucky we are even more than we did before.  

• Like 2

Can’t wait for that wonderful feeling as you walk through the check in area and onto the ship! Throw our hand luggage into our cabin and head out to a bar on deck - hopefully in the sunshine (though it won’t matter one bit if it’s a howling gale).

We are on one of the fully vaccinated round UK cruises in August and excitement is mounting. Please, please don’t let it be cancelled 😳

• Like 2

18 hours ago, kasowell2 said:

I have never thought about that sound, I will think about your post the next cruise.  It will now be my happy sound.

21 hours ago, keels81 said:

Do you anticipate your cruising behavior to change at all? Maybe splurge on a higher-category room? Book an extra specialty meal?

Or are there any special cruise traditions that you can't just WAIT to get back to?

While we wait for the powers that be to decide our cruising fates, let's talk about the FUN STUFF!

For me, after 15 months of being shut-in/shutdown and missing Mardi Gras, bal masques, formal events, dressy holidays and just getting dressed up for a night out in general ... I'm ready to get some of my gowns out of moth balls and get REALLY dressed up at night! The husband is even making noise about getting a new tux (we really like dressing up)!

Though, it may be a challenge to get me to wear "hard pants" in Alaska ... the soft clothes habit may stick from being homebound. 🤣

What say y'all?

Like you we were a self directed shut-in/shut-down since March 2020, do not regret doing so.  Once we were fully vaccinated we decided to get out of dodge and rented a house for 6 weeks on Cape Cod, what a fabulous decision it has been!  Our first 2 weeks we were on TOTAL vacation, have been enjoying (total understatement) maskless lives, dining, shopping etc.  we also went off the internet grid so to speak during these 2 weeks, can’t tell you how refreshing.  My team at work knew I’d not be glued to my computer and if I was needed to please text or call my cell.  Well I got 3 texts and 2 calls, hmmm they are getting ready to not need me when I retire next year 🥳.  We’ve watched no news etc, binged some great shows and movies as well, total relaxing freedom.  Long daily walks on the beach.  So now to OP point, I plan to do the same on my May 2022 cruise, enjoy champagne, sunrise, sunset and just chill and appreciate it ALL sans being married to my phone, internet etc.  speaking for myself only there has been a silver lining of this pandemic, life is short, so live it wide.  Whatever you all plan for your next cruise ENJOY!  Now I need to prepare for work tomorrow.  Peace 

Edited by LGW59

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

Like you we were a self directed shut-in/shut-down since March 2020, do not regret doing so.  Once we were fully vaccinated we decided to get out of dodge and rented a house for 6 weeks on Cape Cod, what a fabulous decision it has been!  Our first 2 weeks we were on TOTAL vacation, have been enjoying (total understatement) maskless lives, dining, shopping etc.  we also went off the internet grid so to speak during these 2 weeks, can’t tell you how refreshing.  My team at work knew I’d not be glued to my computer and if I was needed to please text or call my cell.  Well I got 3 texts and 2 calls, hmmm they are getting ready to not need me when I retire next year 🥳.  We’ve watched no news etc, binged some great shows and movies as well, total relaxing freedom.  Long daily walks on the beach.  So now to OP point, I plan to do the same on my May 2022 cruise, enjoy champagne, sunrise, sunset and just chill and appreciate it ALL sans being married to my phone, internet etc.  speaking for myself only there has been a silver lining of this pandemic, life is short, so live it wide.  Whatever you all plan for your next cruise ENJOY!  Now I need to prepare for work tomorrow.  Peace 

So this explains your absence.  I was starting to worry about you.

Grinning from ear to ear as we enter the ship and sip our mimosas! Then to the cabin to drop off our carry-ons, grabbing something to eat somewhere (we miss Bistro on Five), soaking in the feeling of being back on a ship, and having a drink at the Sunset Bar. Bliss!

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

So this explains your absence.  I was starting to worry about you.

All is well my friend!  Someone here on another post in wondering about what name/how they might recognize you at the pool.  I say keep it low key, make them wonder, of course with my complimentary AI beverage in hand. 😎🍹

• Haha 2