Two Test Positive On Millenium

morfred

5 minutes ago, dallasdan said:

My friends didn't provide any information except their name and date of birth.  No insurance was filed or SS # given.  Don't see how they can prove they were vaccinated if someone questioned the validity of their vaccine card.  

Employees at pharmacies here in Mn. report that they have just as many thefts of the cards as they do of controlled substances. Sad.

5 minutes ago, dreams_of_travel said:

I didn't file insurance for either of my vaccines, and yet they somehow filed insurance, and got reimbursed.  I received my insurance statement showing that the insurance company did pay the vaccination center.  YMMV

YMMV indeed. I provided my insurance info to the state and I was vaccinated at a state-run clinic but they never (apparently) billed for it. Me or my wife.

9 minutes ago, dallasdan said:

My friends didn't provide any information except their name and date of birth.  No insurance was filed or SS # given.  Don't see how they can prove they were vaccinated if someone questioned the validity of their vaccine card.  

I can retrieve my vaccination records from the state vaccination website, and print a "certificate" for whatever that is worth.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

But it has been widely reported that the ship was fully vaccinated.   Sloppy press releases?  Misinformation?  We cannot trust the info we get!  "Fully" doesn't mean "fully except for ______."

Actually, there is a threshold for the ships to be considered "Fully Vaccinated" which has been published but I'm not sure which version Millie was sailing under. Neither threshold that I read was 100%. The first threshold was 98%. The cruise lines didn't feel they could meet that threshold and it was dropped to 95% at one point. That was to allow children who could not be vaxed the ability to travel with their families. The threshold may be changing again now that children older than 12 can now be vaccinated. 

I wish people would stop accusing these two passengers of lying about their vaccinations/falsifying their cards.  Is it possible that happened?  Yes it is not without a possibility.  But there is no evidence (at least so far) to suggest that this is the case.  I don't know about where everyone on these boards is coming from but here in the US a person is innocent until proven guilty.  If it turns out to be the case, fine, criticize then.  But for now let's wait until the facts are in.  We all remember what facts are, right?

The tests may be false positives.  The couple may have caught the virus even though they are fully vaccinated - it happens.  They may be fully vaccinated but be immunocompromised which makes the vaccines less effective.  All of these are facts.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, glenc56 said:

What did hydroxychloroquine do to you, other than make you feel much better and on a road to recovery.    🍺😎

Never had Covid, never took it. But I feel it's important to stay current on issues like this and not get dragged down into the false information on the net.

3 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

The Edge is not going out fully vaccinated. It will be at least 95% vaccinated guests. Each guest is being or will be asked if they have been vaccinated. If they answer yes, they will then be asked if they will present proof at check-in. If they answer yes to both questions they then move into the vaccinated group. Those who answer no to those questions will move to the unvaccinated group. Once the sailing reaches their 5% limit, that’s it. Some unvaccinated guests may not be able to board the ship.

Ok. That seems like a good plan;  not so good though for the unvaxxed people that get turned away. 

4 hours ago, harkinmr said:

Then that may not be good news for the other 598 passengers on board as any number of them could also test positive if the testing is really that sensitive or the rate of asymptomatic infection is that high. It could also mean that these two people are in fact more infected than just a trace amount and could continue to test positive, or perhaps the vaccines they received were faulty for some reason, or they were not actually vaccinated. I’m sure we will find out soon enough. 

Well, for one, we don't know the CT value of the tests (cycle threshold). The higher the CT the more likely there is significant virus present if the the test is positive. if the CT value is low, ie; less than 30, it could just mean some virus was detected. If they run the test again at a CT value of 40 or above and the detection diminishes that means the viral load is low.  The med staff on board cruise lines  have never had to deal with stuff like this before. We don't know how the machines are calibrated, etc. And you're right, we don't know what vaccine or when they got it. 

37 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

Employees at pharmacies here in Mn. report that they have just as many thefts of the cards as they do of controlled substances. Sad.

Doesn’t the USA use QR coding for proof of vaccination status? In the U.K. we can log onto the NHS app, which displays  a personal QR code which gives details of dates, brand and serial numbers of vaccine received. Makes it much more difficult to present false certification. Not that I’m saying it happened in this case, but antivax  people will look for  loopholes. 

Edited by sunlover33
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, larrywizzit said:

You are absolutely correct. I used the wrong word. I meant breakthrough. Sorry, I'm bilingual and even though English is my  first language, the constant switching throws me off.

No problem.

1 hour ago, KKB said:

An osteopath has not gone to medical school.

Received "multiple awards"--for what, from whom?

He also is an anti-vaxxer.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2019/10/15/fdc01078-c29c-11e9-b5e4-54aa56d5b7ce_story.html

Take what he has to say with a grain of salt..

(Teaching students to evaluate sources is my job, literally)

Au contraire.

In the United States, med students have a choice between two main educational paths. They may choose to become an MD (doctor of medicine), by attending an allopathic medical school. Or they may choose to become a DO (doctor of osteopathic medicine), by attending an osteopathic medical school. Each path takes a minimum of four years and each leads to a degree that authorizes the physician to practice medicine.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

Don’t the USA use QR coding for proof of vaccination status? In the U.K. we can log onto the NHS app, which displays  a personal QR code which gives details of dates, brand and serial numbers of vaccine received. 

Sadly, we don't currently have something like this. Which is why I printed off all the documentation I could from my vaccines. 

1 hour ago, FastandFurious said:

Cruise Director just announced that 75 untested folks have 2 hours to get their test done. Printed copies of results will be emailed to cruisers and a printed copy provided to the stateroom soon. 

What a wonderful holiday it is!  Seems more like 7-day visiting a medical facility event.  The cruise (or any vacation for that matter) is an entity when one's state of mind is totally relaxed and in stress-free (nirvana) mode.  What kind of nirvana is such a cruise?  It's more like purgatory where they test you to decide whether you shell proceed to h _ _ l or be spared.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

Don’t the USA use QR coding for proof of vaccination status? In the U.K. we can log onto the NHS app, which displays  a personal QR code which gives details of dates, brand and serial numbers of vaccine received. 

No.  We simply get a small card issued by the Centers for Disease Control on which the pharmacy writes information including the date(s) you received your jab, the manufacturer of the vaccine you received, and the batch/lot number.  No QR codes on the card. It is really old school. 

5 hours ago, Scottbro said:

remain absolutely baffled at any vaccine requirements as the drugs only affect you as an individual. Using the cdc data, there is zero correlation between state's vaccine rates and Covid rates. Zero. Because they do not stop the virus! Only your personal response to it. 

In my state, COVID rates have plummeted as our vaccination rates climb.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

are ships sailing from the USA required to do all this testing? it sounds like a nitemare. so if no testing on the USA cruises i'm glad of that. if testing is required, i dont think id want to go thru all this . just reading the thread a few pages made my head hurt

2 hours ago, sunlover33 said:

This  is not correct,  the U.K. chose to extend the dose interval from 3 weeks to 12 weeks to cover people more quickly in the vulnerable groups. This strategy proved very effective and actually significantly improved the efficacy of the AZ vaccine. They also extended the dose interval of the Pfizer vaccine to 12 weeks also with improved efficacy. Both vaccines are working very effectively especially in view of the increase we currently have of the Delta variant, with very few fully vaccinated people testing positive or becoming hospitalised.  

Please read my earlier post. I said at the time of the study quoted only one shot had been administered to most not that no other shots were given in the future. One shot by itself is not sufficient. Even J&J's one shot provides less efficacy than Pfizer or Moderna.

1 minute ago, cruiserchuck said:

No.  We simply get a small card issued by the Centers for Disease Control on which the pharmacy writes information including the date(s) you received your jab, the manufacturer of the vaccine you received, and the batch/lot number.  No QR codes on the card. It is really old school. 

Gosh I’m surprised about that. We have a vaccination card too but for travel we have a QR code. Although travel is severely restricted ATM due to the delta variant. 

1 hour ago, KKB said:

An osteopath has not gone to medical school.

Received "multiple awards"--for what, from whom?

He also is an anti-vaxxer.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2019/10/15/fdc01078-c29c-11e9-b5e4-54aa56d5b7ce_story.html

Take what he has to say with a grain of salt..

(Teaching students to evaluate sources is my job, literally)

Wow. Apparently you are unaware of all the major Medical Schools of Osteopathic Medicine in the US. A DO receives the SAME training as an MD, does a Residency and perhaps a Fellowship, is licensed to practice, etc. Next time you happen to be at a hospital or ED, take a look at the name tags. You'll likely find as many DO's as MD's.

Now a Chiropractor, on the other hand....

1 hour ago, FastandFurious said:

Cruise Director just announced that 75 untested folks have 2 hours to get their test done. 

I'm not sure how to take that announcement - do you think the 75 untested are procrastinators and are dragging their feet, or refusing to take it, or is it just that testing is backed up?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grandgeezer said:

Not completely true, there are five states that have special requirements for these DOs and they must be certified before they can practice there. The states are Pennsylvania, Florida, West Virginia, Michigan, and Oklahoma.

You mean licensed, as do any MD's.

30 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I wish people would stop accusing these two passengers of lying about their vaccinations/falsifying their cards.  Is it possible that happened?  Yes it is not without a possibility.  But there is no evidence (at least so far) to suggest that this is the case.  I don't know about where everyone on these boards is coming from but here in the US a person is innocent until proven guilty.  If it turns out to be the case, fine, criticize then.  But for now let's wait until the facts are in.  We all remember what facts are, right?

The tests may be false positives.  The couple may have caught the virus even though they are fully vaccinated - it happens.  They may be fully vaccinated but be immunocompromised which makes the vaccines less effective.  All of these are facts.

I'm so glad you said this!  It's a sad commentary on our society when we automatically start assuming the worst about people.  My daughter's vax card was hand written, my SIL's card has a printed sticker. The CDC has certainly not done us any favors by failing to standardize how these cards are filled out by the person administering the injection.  In fact, my daughter told me at her office, when they run out of cards, they make paper copies of them on the copy machine!  At this point we have no reason to believe or suspect that the passengers (bless them), falsified their vax status. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, kathy49 said:

Here is US I have never heard an efficacy rate of more than 95% and probably less on certain adults with compromised immune systems. That number if for Pfizer and Moderna and is less for J and J. We know nothing about these passengers yet...what they did while in port, their general health and age group and what vaccine they had. Look forward to more details and assume CDC watching this for data. We are all still in a giant experiment with a vaccine not yet approved except for emergency use and a virus which continues to mutate. I think many tend to want to ignore some of the risk in order to feel better about traveling.

In Rhode island, the positivity rate for fully vaccinated people is .13 percent.  Yes, that is correct.  So your statement of no more than 95% efficacy rate is inacurate.  We are at 99.87%.

7 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

You mean licensed, as do any MD's.

I didn’t read the whole article, I stopped when I found the gist of what I was looking for. Since they are regular doctors first, I would think the extra certification would just pertain to what they do different.

2 minutes ago, elaineb said:

In Rhode island, the positivity rate for fully vaccinated people is .13 percent.  Yes, that is correct.  So your statement of no more than 95% efficacy rate is inacurate.  We are at 99.87%.

That's not how vaccine efficacy is measured. You measure it by comparing whatever measure you care about (positivity, symptomatic infection, hospitalization, death, etc.) of an unvaccinated population to that of a vaccinated population to determine how much the vaccine reduced that measure. Your statement would only be correct if unvaccinated people have a 100% positivity rate.

• Like 1

Anyone know what their plan is for these positive cruisers when they dock? I am surprised people are assuming they lied about their vaccination status. There have been over ten thousand documented breakthrough cases in the fully vaccinated, so there are going to be many on cruise ships. I stress documented. No clue what the real number is and they have always been clear that the vaccination does not fully stop infection.  How many would test positive, but are asymptomatic and have no reason to be tested. 

Edited by asalligo
  • Like 3