Two Test Positive On Millenium

morfred

4 hours ago, Keys2Heaven said:

Statistically speaking, two breakout cases at the same time should raise some legitimate questions and concerns. Conspiracy? Is that what asking questions means nowadays?

If the vaccine has an efficacy rate of 99% that means 1 in 100 could get it.  How many pax on the ship?   I think they handled it well, contact traced, isolated and re tested everyone.   Just the two because everyone they came in contact with were vaccinated. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

The CDC required 95% of passengers and 98% of crew to be vaccinated in order for X ships to sail. Under those requirements, the ship is considered 100% vaccinated,

Children on board under the age of 12 cannot be vaccinated, so they fall under the 5% of the total.

yes as I understand it the 95% takes into account children. What is for sure is at some (not all) ports passengers can go and do whatever they want, mix with the locals etc. and return to the ship...and that is a likely spot for them to pick up the virus..clearly these two picked it up between the last testing and final testing and shore excursions or time in port seems to be the variable that cannot be controlled.

1 hour ago, kathy49 said:

A quick read thru this thread indicates how many different interpretations there are  about the chance of testing positive after being fully vaccinated.  People need to educate themselves that you can get the virus after having been fully vaccinated...I think it possible these two got it on a shore excursion .  They will probably remain asymptomatic but can possibly spread it. You can carry the virus after being vaccinated. I found this article very helpful https://thepointsguy.com/news/celebrity-millennium-cruise-ship-covid/  Anyone going on a cruise needs to be prepared this can happen and it could be you. There is another ship MSC with cases on board...no masks and not even sure you had to be vaccinated for that one. Sorry but the risk will be around for a long time. The ports you visit will  NOT have a majority vaccinated. This was the first ship and not a surprising result.

The MSC ship was not vaccine required and full health protocols applied, including masks, social distancing, testing and restricted shore excursions. 

6 minutes ago, 5onadime said:

An osteopathic physician, or D.O., is a board-certified physician who is fully licensed to practice in every state and in more than 65 countries worldwide. As licensed physicians, they diagnose, treat, prescribe medications and perform surgery.

No argument there--I simply said he did not go to medical school (he graduated from an osteopath college in 1982)

But he IS an anit-vaxxer--which goes against the science.

Again--take what he says with a grain of salt.

His OPINION does not match the medical community at large.

Edited by KKB
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, K.T.B. said:

They were confined to their cabin the final 2 nights on bard and disembarked at St. Maarten with the rest of the passengers.  They were then put in quarantine at a hotel, unable to return home until they had a negative test.  Presumably, they're still in that hotel.

Sounded so factual except the ship isn’t back at St Maartin.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, KKB said:

An osteopath has not gone to medical school.

Received "multiple awards"--for what, from whom?

He also is an anti-vaxxer.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2019/10/15/fdc01078-c29c-11e9-b5e4-54aa56d5b7ce_story.html

Take what he has to say with a grain of salt..

(Teaching students to evaluate sources is my job, literally)

Sorry, but an osteopath HAS gone to medical school.  Osteopaths are DOs rather than MDs but they are fully licensed physicians who practice in all areas of medicine. 

What is a DO? | American Osteopathic Association

If you teach students, you should know this.

What Is Osteopathic Medicine? (webmd.com)

• Like 3

Just now, Christine Frances said:

If the vaccine has an efficacy rate of 99% that means 1 in 100 could get it.  How many pax on the ship?   I think they handled it well, contact traced, isolated and re tested everyone.   Just the two because everyone they came in contact with were vaccinated. 

Here is US I have never heard an efficacy rate of more than 95% and probably less on certain adults with compromised immune systems. That number if for Pfizer and Moderna and is less for J and J. We know nothing about these passengers yet...what they did while in port, their general health and age group and what vaccine they had. Look forward to more details and assume CDC watching this for data. We are all still in a giant experiment with a vaccine not yet approved except for emergency use and a virus which continues to mutate. I think many tend to want to ignore some of the risk in order to feel better about traveling.

4 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

The MSC ship was not vaccine required and full health protocols applied, including masks, social distancing, testing and restricted shore excursions. 

I watched some videos from that cruise and masking was clearly not 100% nor can it be at bars and restaurants and chin guards don't work!!

3 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

Sorry, but an osteopath HAS gone to medical school.  Osteopaths are DOs rather than MDs but they are fully licensed physicians who practice in all areas of medicine. 

What is a DO? | American Osteopathic Association

If you teach students, you should know this.

What Is Osteopathic Medicine? (webmd.com)

I stand corrected.

But I stand by my comment--since he is an anti--vaxxer, take his opinion with a grain of salt.

I stick with science--and doctors who support it.

(As the CDC is with regard to protocols)

Edited by KKB
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

I watched some videos from that cruise and masking was clearly not 100% nor can it be at bars and restaurants and chin guards don't work!!

And then people wonder why there were cases discovered. 🙄

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KKB said:

I stand corrected.

But I stand by my comment--since he is an anti--vaxxer, take his opinion with a grain of salt.

I stick with science--and doctors who support it.

(As the CDC is with regard to protocols)

What I quoted was from the CDC.  It was quoted by Dr. Mercola but should that mean that it is inaccurate or anti-science?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 5onadime said:

An osteopathic physician, or D.O., is a board-certified physician who is fully licensed to practice in every state and in more than 65 countries worldwide. As licensed physicians, they diagnose, treat, prescribe medications and perform surgery.

Not completely true, there are five states that have special requirements for these DOs and they must be certified before they can practice there. The states are Pennsylvania, Florida, West Virginia, Michigan, and Oklahoma.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Not completely true, there are five states that have special requirements for these DOs and they must be certified before they can practice there. The states are Pennsylvania, Florida, West Virginia, Michigan, and Oklahoma.

why are people talking about DOs??? So many posts about this. Not sure of the relevance to this situation on the ship.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kathy49 said:

why are people talking about DOs??? So many posts about this. Not sure of the relevance to this situation on the ship.

Wow, what happened to moderators of these threads and forums? 
CC used to be moderated and posts that were not about topic were deleted . 

• Like 3

I have seen a couple of post where it is questioned that the 2 people were really vaccinated.  There is no way for anyone to prove they have been vaccinated as there is not a data base for the cruise line to access.  My 2 good friends were vaccinated at a local pharmacy.  They showed me their vaccination cards, which were filled out by hand.  Someone could make the leap that they faked their vaccination because the cards are hand filled out.  This is a dangerous assumption to make as there will be positive tests for vaccinated passengers and crew.

29 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

The CDC required 95% of passengers and 98% of crew to be vaccinated in order for X ships to sail. Under those requirements, the ship is considered 100% vaccinated,

Children on board under the age of 12 cannot be vaccinated, so they fall under the 5% of the total.

To sail from US homeports.  

18 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

So I wonder how they got infected if they're truly vaccinated....

Vaccine is still only 95 % effective. For many it lessens affect, but may still get disease and become a carrier. I for one appreciate those who agreed to join cruise, shakedown protocols. Many of these countries do not have extensive health systems and are also trying to figure out best protocols. 

Due to the average incubation period being 5-6 days and many longer, these people likely got the virus from their flight.  Getting the virus once vaccinated is less likely but breakthrough cases WILL happen and the cruise lines expect it.  Cases will be less severe or totally asymptomatic.  Celebrity as well as MSC have handled this perfect.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dallasdan said:

I have seen a couple of post where it is questioned that the 2 people were really vaccinated.  There is no way for anyone to prove they have been vaccinated as there is not a data base for the cruise line to access.  My 2 good friends were vaccinated at a local pharmacy.  They showed me their vaccination cards, which were filled out by hand.  Someone could make the leap that they faked their vaccination because the cards are hand filled out.  This is a dangerous assumption to make as there will be positive tests for vaccinated passengers and crew.

I have my CDC card, and I also have a printed copy from records of the vaccination clinic appointment, as well as the notes that were made when I was vaccinated.   Figured it may someday be necessary to have multiple data points for reference.

• Like 2

My friends didn't provide any information except their name and date of birth.  No insurance was filed or SS # given.  Don't see how they can prove they were vaccinated if someone questioned the validity of their vaccine card.  

1 minute ago, dallasdan said:

My friends didn't provide any information except their name and date of birth.  No insurance was filed or SS # given.  Don't see how they can prove they were vaccinated if someone questioned the validity of their vaccine card.  

I didn't file insurance for either of my vaccines, and yet they somehow filed insurance, and got reimbursed.  I received my insurance statement showing that the insurance company did pay the vaccination center.  YMMV

• Like 1

At the moment am spending more time over on the P&O thread due to future cruises, but am part a Celebrity cruiser too. (Many happy memories of the build up to our EDGE cruise with our lovely Vtcruiser..)

Anyway, sorry, this is probably off post sort of. Heard the news this morning that a cruise line had had confirmed COVID cases and my heart sank (if you excuse the expression) when I saw an image of the Millennium and discovered that it was Celebrity that was affected.

Just wanted to send my best wishes to any and all affected by this and pray that all will be well and sorted. It is so sad to see cruise lines just trying to get started again and then there is 'bad news'.

Obviously, hope all is well with the crew and passengers.

• Like 1