The Daily for Wednesday Jun 30, 2021

richwmn

Have any of you ever tried to edit a Hold Mail request for the USPS?  

We have twice.  Neither time did the Post Office do what was asked.  We arrived home on Monday and the mail originally was scheduled to be delivered here on Thursday of this week.  When we got home I went online and signed in, changed the end date of the Hold from Thursday to two days earlier Tuesday.  Success it told me!👍

Until the mail carrier ignored it and passed by our house Tuesday and Wednesday.  I even had some outgoing mail in my box with the red flag up for her to pick up Tuesday.  She stopped to pick it up and didn't leave the held mail.  Didn't even bring it today.  I guess I have to wait until tomorrow after all.  Last time we asked the carrier why she didn't deliver on the edited date, she said her supervisor didn't give her the change notice.  Is this any way to run a business?  I guess so with a government run service.  With the cost of gas, I didn't want to have to run to town to pick up the mail but it looks like that's the only way you can get your mail right away.🙁

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I haven't edited, but had the problem of saying I'd pick up the mail. Then I drive to the post office, only to be told, oh it's out with the carrier! So now I usually just pick to have them deliver it. The cost of mail goes up and the service gets worse!

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

The cost of mail goes up and the service gets worse!

Totally agree!  We have mail stations with boxes in our community and last week we were expecting our new license plate sticker and a prescription drug delivery.  The Rx company showed the prescription was delivered on Saturday — not in “our” box.  Monday, our next door neighbors brought both missing items over! 😡.  (They had been gone over the weekend.). Not the first time this has happened this year.  Just glad they didn’t put it in the neighbor on the other side’s box, she’s been gone for 3 weeks and won’t return till next week.  (I was all geared up to go talk to the delivery person on Tuesday, so glad I didn’t have to have that confrontation 😅)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good afternoon. I finally caught up after a busy but not that fun a day -- house cleaning.   😌  At least, that's done for as long as I can put it off.😉

DH was checking tours for our cruise next year, and discovered we are not going to Hvar, but to Sibenik, which we haven't visited either.  Everything else I said about the town is accurate.  I looked and Hvar is an island north of Korkula.  @baltic17Thank you for the pictures.  I want to visit Hvar now.

@bennybear and @smitty34877. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your DHs.

Lenda

The entire Croatian coast is so beautiful.  No matter where you stop the scenery is marvelous.  All the little islands have swimming in clear water, wonderful coffee shops with little pastries to also order, fabulous seafood - we particularly loved the melt in your mouth calamari and octopus, great wine, and just very friendly people.  Hvar is/was known for its wild lavender which you see when driving around the island and the lavender shortbread cookies!

We also loved Korkula and Brac.  We would love to go back and spend more time exploring the coast.  Dubrovnik is nice but oh so crowded.  Split was more to our liking. 

415418299_a(316).thumb.jpg.bce851a126f7dabab8f810f6a8822bb1.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

Totally agree!  We have mail stations with boxes in our community and last week we were expecting our new license plate sticker and a prescription drug delivery.  The Rx company showed the prescription was delivered on Saturday — not in “our” box.  Monday, our next door neighbors brought both missing items over! 😡.  (They had been gone over the weekend.). Not the first time this has happened this year.  Just glad they didn’t put it in the neighbor on the other side’s box, she’s been gone for 3 weeks and won’t return till next week.  (I was all geared up to go talk to the delivery person on Tuesday, so glad I didn’t have to have that confrontation 😅)

We also have the 'gang' boxes, as my postal worker sister tells me they are called.  Had a medicine delivery that they said was there on a very hot day.  I went to the post office and complained as there are several of us who get our mail delivered to one another and they didn't have the package.  Half an hour later the postmaster called to say my package was in my box.  Still don't know why he couldn't just drop it at my house as he had to drive past it twice.  Oh the mail system....

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Our temp dropped from 91 to now 71 since the thunderstorms. 

Lucky you.  I think ours will drop tomorrow.  I hope so   Marley ( my Bernese Mountain Dog) is very unhappy.  He was just groomed so he has enough hair off as possible.  Shaving him puts him at risk for cancer.

Fingers crossed for us both 🤞 

• Like 12

58 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I haven't edited, but had the problem of saying I'd pick up the mail. Then I drive to the post office, only to be told, oh it's out with the carrier! So now I usually just pick to have them deliver it. The cost of mail goes up and the service gets worse!

That's what we end up doing, too.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

That's what we end up doing, too.

We always indicate we want them to deliver at the end date of the hold.  However, when they don't follow directions when you edit the hold and move the delivery date up, that really makes me mad.  Why even allow changes in plans if they won't honor the change?  Not good service at all.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Another connection - we lived in Williamsburg, VA for 7 years but not during those years.  Loved it there!

Our first house in Midland was off Waldo Road on the east side of town.  Then the second house was off Swede Road on Lantern Lane.  The schools were very good.  True about shopping back then.  We used to have to go to Saginaw also.

We enjoyed the City Forest in the winter months because you could snowmobile there.  They also had ice skating. The kids loved going to the library to get books in their excellent library, and it adjoined Dow Gardens which was lovely.  A beautiful city.

Edited to say I just looked up Mason St. and it's a couple of blocks away from our Lantern Lane house.  Very cool!

I used to go walking in  your old neighborhood when I would visit Mom and Dad.  City Forest was also good for tobogganing.   Back then the Community Center was open to the public.  We'd go swimming there during the winter.   During the summer we'd go to Plymouth Park Pool.  I remember my dad driving off to Family Hour swimming with 22 kids in the back of the station wagon.  We all wanted to bring our friends along.  

Another landmark - I worked summers at Lil Chef Restaurant on South Saginaw Road to put myself through school.  

I was already out of the house and teaching when the family moved to Williamsburg.  But, I did spend one summer there with them.  It was really kind of like a two year vacation.   We loved going to Chowning's for Gambols and bawdy songs.    

• Like 7

I'll add to PO woes.  Every year when we migrate to Quartzsite, we have our mail TEMPORARILY forwarded.  At least twice, even though I make the change on line, our carrier has made the change permanent.  Even when that doesn't happen, we've had other problems in all but two years in the last 12 or so years.  And the Quartzsite PO is not any better.  While it's frustrating, I've learned ways to work around it or to live with it.

Lenda 

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, dfish said:

I used to go walking in  your old neighborhood when I would visit Mom and Dad.  City Forest was also good for tobogganing.   Back then the Community Center was open to the public.  We'd go swimming there during the winter.   During the summer we'd go to Plymouth Park Pool.  I remember my dad driving off to Family Hour swimming with 22 kids in the back of the station wagon.  We all wanted to bring our friends along.  

Another landmark - I worked summers at Lil Chef Restaurant on South Saginaw Road to put myself through school.  

I was already out of the house and teaching when the family moved to Williamsburg.  But, I did spend one summer there with them.  It was really kind of like a two year vacation.   We loved going to Chowning's for Gambols and bawdy songs.    

When your parents moved to Mason Street in 1978, we were building our house on Lantern Lane that summer.  DH drew the blueprints for the house and we hired a Saginaw builder to build it.  Unfortunately we only lived in it for 14 months because DH accepted a position with a new company  (AB) and we moved to northern California.  

Williamsburg was a great place to live if you like history and the beautiful architecture there.  Relatives enjoyed visiting us there.  I'm not sure if I went to Chowning's Tavern or not.  I believe we went to Christiana Campbell's and Shields Tavern.  No matter where you went in town it was gorgeous!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I've never had to edit a hold mail request, but I've had all kinds of problems getting our post office to do anything right.  When we were gone for 75 days our last cruise, we paid for a PO box (because they refused to just hold it for 30 days), only to come home and find out that our mailman put a note on our door (!!!!)  saying that our mailbox was full and we needed to empty it.  I was livid for several reasons, but especially because he left a note for anyone to see that we weren't home.  Thankfully my wonderful neighbor saw the note, had a key to our house and found the mail key, and got all the mail out that he'd been delivering the whole time we were gone.  He later claimed that nobody told him we had a PO box....😡 And I never got a refund for the PO box.  When I went in to complain, I was told this mailman has gotten a lot of complaints, but it's nearly impossible to fire him since he's a government employee.

Sorry for the rant!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Williamsburg was a great place to live if you like history and the beautiful architecture there.  Relatives enjoyed visiting us there.  I'm not sure if I went to Chowning's Tavern or not.  I believe we went to Christiana Campbell's and Shields Tavern.  No matter where you went in town it was gorgeous!

Christiana Campbell's was another favorite of ours.  They served a great breakfast.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I've never had to edit a hold mail request, but I've had all kinds of problems getting our post office to do anything right.  When we were gone for 75 days our last cruise, we paid for a PO box (because they refused to just hold it for 30 days), only to come home and find out that our mailman put a note on our door (!!!!)  saying that our mailbox was full and we needed to empty it.  I was livid for several reasons, but especially because he left a note for anyone to see that we weren't home.  Thankfully my wonderful neighbor saw the note, had a key to our house and found the mail key, and got all the mail out that he'd been delivering the whole time we were gone.  He later claimed that nobody told him we had a PO box....😡 And I never got a refund for the PO box.  When I went in to complain, I was told this mailman has gotten a lot of complaints, but it's nearly impossible to fire him since he's a government employee.

Sorry for the rant!

No need to apologize.  We've all had our trials and tribulations with the PO.  When we travel in the summer instead of forwarding our mail to our mail forwarding service, a nice neighbor will check our box once a week or so.   With the mail service, we don't get much mail here.  And our mail service is great about doing what we ask.

Lenda 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

No need to apologize.  We've all had our trials and tribulations with the PO.  When we travel in the summer instead of forwarding our mail to our mail forwarding service, a nice neighbor will check our box once a week or so.   With the mail service, we don't get much mail here.  And our mail service is great about doing what we ask.

Lenda 

Thank you.  Yes, I'm realizing many of us have had many problems with them!  My neighbor has offered to check our box once a week or so too, since now we don't trust them to do as we request. Thank goodness for great neighbors!

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

And our mail service is great about doing what we ask.

Lenda 

You are very lucky.  Our delivery personnel are “contract”  not Government employees and could give a🐀’s you know what.  We were spoiled by our previous delivery person (who retired last year).

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

You are very lucky.  Our delivery personnel are “contract”  not Government employees and could give a🐀’s you know what.  We were spoiled by our previous delivery person (who retired last year).

The statement you quoted was not about the service from USPS, thought it has improved with new management local locally even with our contract carriers.  That statement was about our commercial mail forwarding service.  Sorry if my meaning was not clear.

Lenda

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

The statement you quoted was not about the service from USPS, thought it has improved with new management local locally even with our contract carriers.  That statement was about our commercial mail forwarding service.  Sorry if my meaning was not clear.

Lenda

Sorry, I did misunderstand.  ☹️

• Like 2

Thanks for  all the daily information.

@smitty34877 thanks for sharing the photo of Camilla, a dear wee girl. good news with her progress.

And Happy Birthday to your DH.

@StLouisCruiserscongratulations to your grandson, you will all be proud of him.

@bennybear Happy Birthday to your DH.

We have sunshine today, no wind, temperature 10 C .

Hope that those of you in the extreme heat are coping OK.

Take care everyone.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, erewhon said:

This morning being the 1st day of July, the first words spoken were "Rabbits, White Rabbits".

Thanks for the reminder! 😀  

the weather is greatly improved here, with a cool breeze.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, baltic17 said:

The entire Croatian coast is so beautiful.  No matter where you stop the scenery is marvelous.  All the little islands have swimming in clear water, wonderful coffee shops with little pastries to also order, fabulous seafood - we particularly loved the melt in your mouth calamari and octopus, great wine, and just very friendly people.  Hvar is/was known for its wild lavender which you see when driving around the island and the lavender shortbread cookies!

We also loved Korkula and Brac.  We would love to go back and spend more time exploring the coast.  Dubrovnik is nice but oh so crowded.  Split was more to our liking. 

415418299_a(316).thumb.jpg.bce851a126f7dabab8f810f6a8822bb1.jpg

Some more pictures from Croatia,  Trogir

D9A9805F-B346-45F5-A698-BA01930CE1E0.jpeg

AA3FE5A7-1576-4E22-9701-835C918869E7.jpeg

204FA50F-6F84-4F27-BE48-4A20C90B9FA6.jpeg

753C2C62-8543-49FE-995E-CF3B40D5BCED.jpeg

8E383B8B-02EF-4D59-866B-DAC61654BE23.jpeg

49825DA0-A1EB-4F96-B7AE-F8ACF8D467CC.jpeg

• Like 7