The Daily for Wednesday Jun 30, 2021

richwmn

19 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

The 2 players of the month of June (a male and female player) include my DGS Ren!  What an honor to be chose from all the players nationwide. 

Wow!  That’s fabulous 👍 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

They  were  able  to  remove  the  breathing  apparatus  and  she  is  now  breathing  on  her  own.

That is absolutely wonderful news 🙂.  My hopes are high now knowing she can breathe on her own 🙏🏻 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!   A great bunch of days to celebrate - NOW is so important, and has done great things for women around the world; let's hope the asteroids keep on flying past, and Sailor Moon is quite popular, especially in the Japanese community.

Another hot day here on the "frozen tundra" - today we're looking at 35C (95F) as our high, and it's expected to go up a couple of degrees over the next few days.  We used to call these the dog days of summer which happened in August, so it's quite unusual to experience them so early.  Most places are out of air conditioners, fans, etc., making it extremely difficult for people to cool down.  There are emergency cooling sites where people can go 24 hours a day if they need to in order to get some relief from the heat.  A few places are even offering free transportation to and from their homes, which is nice.

This morning we'll be spending a little while outside watering all the plants, filling up the fountain (it's amazing how much water evaporates in this heat), and cooling down the area around the house.  Then it's inside where we'll find things to do while the heat rages on.   Yesterday we put up a mister in a shaded area of the back yard, and it was amazing to see the number of birds who came to enjoy the water and coolness it provided.  I'd forgotten we even had such a thing, but discovered it when I was looking for a small picnic cooler in one of our garden sheds.

We've only been to Dubrovnik, but not Hvar, so that's another to add to the bucket list for us.  Any time I hear or read "crab cakes" I think of the wonderful ones served in the Pinnacle Grill and can't wait to experience them once more.  For us, though, DH has suggested we pick up some burrito bowls for dinner tonight - works for me, no cooking!    We'll bring them home and divide them into 3 (they're huge), so we'll have enough for dinner and a couple of lunches as well.  It will be nice to enjoy them later in the evening out in the pergola in the yard.  And wine.

Thank you so much for the photo of baby Camilla; who doesn't love seeing a baby?  Congratulations to @StLouisCruisers DGS on being named player of the month; you must be so proud!  

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses together to cheer on all who are on the celebration list.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate !!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 26

Thanks everyone for the daily. Yesterday was such a crazy day I don’t think I even slowed down until I dropped into bed. I made two trips into town and the car said 103. The night cooled off and being up at five this morning I enjoyed the cool and watched everything turn pink. The pink unfortunately came from all the smoke of wildfires. Some of our major highways are closed due to fires. They are promising cooling soon.  It is a blessing that the sweet baby is doing better. Prayer will continue for further improvement. Prayers and cheers for all. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Another hot day here on the "frozen tundra" - today we're looking at 35C (95F) as our high, and it's expected to go up a couple of degrees over the next few days. 

You have really experienced the full range of temperatures over the past couple months. Do you prefer one extreme over the other?

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

You have really experienced the full range of temperatures over the past couple months. Do you prefer one extreme over the other?

No kidding!  Last week we were worried about frost!  I do prefer summer over winter, because our winters are just so long (late October to mid April) and dark, and it does get depressing not seeing any living plants outdoors for that long.  When spring comes, it's like life starts all over again and we all come to life.  We love the longer days of summer when the sun gets up around 4:30 and doesn't set until nearly 11.

The benefit of cold temperatures over hot is that you can always add another layer of clothing to keep warm, but in the heat, once you're down to your skivvies, there's nothing left to shed to keep you cool!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 22

The water was so still this morning and no one was on the river I couldn’t resist going for a cruise. So peaceful. Like the calm before the storm. With our heat I’m sure the Fourth of July weekend will bring out tons of boaters. 

4D23A880-F98B-4055-905C-513CD4DBF775.jpeg

• Like 27

2 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

@StLouisCruisers,thanks and congratulations  on the nice honor for DGS.

I am allowed to post a picture of our sweet baby

4594.jpeg

What a sweet baby! Camilla looks so good for a Preemie, I’m sure she’ll come through this without even breaking a sweat!

I was born a month premature at a time when neonatal care was less advanced. Several doctors told my parents I would not survive. I have outlived them all. So there.

Go Camilla!❤️

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

We have had today's wine (Laurenz V. Gruner ""Singing"" Veltiner - Austria) a few times on HAL (part of the Sommelier Suite) and liked it very much. 

I found a couple of cute plant stands for the herb pots on the back patio. They were from Lowe's at about $25 each - 

20210629_130354.thumb.jpg.21845bd763ce7ac86e5cd7d3faadf249.jpg20210629_130336.thumb.jpg.8c7d5b5c27e8cb43a4b8b91dcfe0a1d4.jpg

• Like 24

Good morning, all! What a collection of days - organized women, asteroids, and Sailor Moon. There’s definitely the makings of a movie there! I love crab cakes, and drinks, and wine.😉 Today’s port is new to me.

The worst of the heat has left the coast and moved inland. We still have a ‘normal’ heatwave, but not those impossible temperatures that claimed so many live over four or five days. They are saying the daily heat related toll in BC surpasses that of the peak daily toll of COVID. Those who have been found are just those found by friends and relatives doing wellness checks. I hope the next few days don’t bring even worse news.

Tomorrow we visit my DS in the Okanagan. The heat is still in the mid 40’s there, about 110 F. It should break before we get there.

For those on the coast, I’m glad you’ve made it through the worst, and it’s behind us now!

Happy Wednesday! I’m on a different device and don’t have my elevator mat pictures. But then, I also don’t have a BHB. Sigh. Some day…

• Like 20

👍Thank you to Rich @richwmn for The Daily and to Roy @rafinmd for both the Care and Celebration Lists. Later this afternoon, I have another session with the PT....what a slow process. 🙃

Ceviche always sounds good and we've been picking up the 'shrimp ceviche' from Costco weekly. It's great in a scooped avocado.🥑

No Hvar, Croatia... only Dubrovnik and Split with Princess some years ago.🚢 Looking forward to some photos.📷

🙏Prayers for all in need and thank you to those who contribute!😊

Katie

FB_IMG_1625040573573.jpg

• Like 21

It has been the best of Junes , and the worst of Junes. As I say goodbye for now to my favorite month, my grandson Ami and I each grew a year older. After Ami’s birthday, a crisis hit our family. With gratitude to the neuro surgeon at Robert Wood Johnson whose name I still don’t know, once again Sam’s life was saved at that hospital. I am grateful to the staff at Kessler in New Jersey, and to my wonderful children, Lori and David who have been on top of everything and to my daughter Sheri, who visited her father several times, and to grandson Misha and his dad, Aharon, who also came from New York to see Saba. I'm also grateful to our
many friends for their cards, calls, and good wishes and to my friends on the HAL daily for their prayers and good wishes.
I’m optimistic that when I meet June again, things will be much improved for our family.
Edited by mamaofami
  • Like 25

Love the meal suggestion.  Any

seafood is good with me. (Sorry, Roy, though I like all of your meal suggestions.  Except the seafood I think we have the same tastes.) Heat wave should end here tomorrow in SE Pa.  Going to orthopedist tomorrow.  Trouble with hip pain.  Getting older is no fun!  Katherine 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!  Mid 60's this morning heading to 79F this afternoon -- more like it!  I'm feeling human again 🙂  The house has cooled down to the 70's for the first time all week.

Great collection of days.  I remember staying up late as a child and watching the "falling stars".  On our road trip last month one thing we stopped to see was the huge meteor crater (diameter 160 feet, depth 560 feet) in AZ from 50,000 years ago.  

We love crab cakes.  I have the recipe from the Pinnacle and have tweaked it over the years.  No mustard sauce for me though and Panko is definitely better than white bread.

Have been to several different ports in Croatia and will be again this fall, but never to Hvar.  Looking forward to any photos! 

Not familiar with Sailor Moon.

@StLouisCruiserscongratulations to your DGS!  How proud you must be!

@smitty34877what wonderful news about Camilla!  She's a darling baby. 🙂  

We bought a post card for the grandsons when we were visiting the crater in AZ.  It was a hologram.  This was one view, the meteor crashing to the earth 50,000 years ago.

asteroid.thumb.jpg.24b910122eee16e971565fd7e3fb330b.jpg

This was the other view, an aerial view of the crater from the impact

1629284643_meteorcrater.thumb.jpg.18c0eab94ccb998e71013aeaa5561eaa.jpg

And one of our photos of the crater.  Without doing a panoramic photo, we couldn't get the whole crater into one photo.

crater.jpg.aa42e64899ea3b3949fc716e4e33fa8a.jpg

• Like 24

9 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

It has been the best of Junes , and the worst of Junes. As I say goodbye for now to my favorite month, my grandson Ami and I each grew a year older. After Ami’s birthday, a crisis hit our family. With gratitude to the neuro surgeon at Robert Wood Johnson whose name I still don’t know, once again Sam’s life was saved at that hospital. I am grateful to the staff at Kessler in New Jersey, and to my wonderful children, Lori and David who have been on top of everything and to my daughter Sheri, who visited her father several times, and to grandson Misha and his dad, Aharon, who also came from New York to see Saba. I'm also grateful to our
many friends for their cards, calls, and good wishes and to my friends on the HAL daily for their prayers and good wishes.
I’m optimistic that when I meet June again, things will be much improved for our family.

What a lovely and heartfelt message to post!  I appreciate it and I'm sure everyone here is happy to be supportive to you and your family.  We care!

• Like 15

Good Morning.

Much cooler today, and there is a breeze!  It was so nice to feel the air moving when I had Ellie out early for her walk.  Current temperature is 21 with a possible high of 27 this afternoon.  So much better than the 42 degrees we were experiencing on Monday.

Perhaps with the return to more seasonal temperatures I will be able to get back out in the garden.

Val

• Like 16

Good morning from central Texas where it is partly cloudy.  NOW has done a lot for women.  Asteroids are interesting, and we can learn about the universe from them.  Just don't let them get too close to earth.  I had not heard of Sailor Moon before.  It sounds interesting as is the quote.

We love crab cakes and I have the makings for them another night.  There is a thawed roast in the refrigerator for pot roast the Instant Pot tonight.  Will pass on the drink and the wine.

We have been to Dubrovnik, Split, Korkula, and Rejika  but not Hvar.  It is on the itinerary for next year's world cruise out of Sydney, but we have our doubts it will sail.  When I looked Hvar up for tour ideas,  all the tours were to Split..  The pictures of Hvar showed a pretty town on a hillside..  Glad I retead this as auto correct, which I thought was off, changed Korkula to Kirkland.  😱

@smitty34877. Great picture of a beautiful baby.  So glad she is improving and doesn't need help breathing.

@dfish. Debbie, glad you have your power back on.  Have a safe trip tomorrow and enjoy your time with your family. 

@StLouisCruisers. Sandi, what an honor for Ren.

@grapau27 Graham, a nice reward for Pauline being invited to a Garden Party.

Glad rhe heatwave is abating, and sad that so many died.

Lenda 

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Hmm, interesting days. I never heard of Sailor Moon.

Good quote.

I like the meal and drinks. I think I'm having chicken tikka masala tonight (lower calorie version).

I haven't been to today's port. I anticipate pictures from those who have been there.

Another hot and humid day, but they're calling for thunderstorms this afternoon. We need the rain. Then cooler temps starting tomorrow (yay). There were power outages near me yesterday, but luckily not me.

I finally got my pre-op clearance appointment set up with the PCP.

I'm glad to hear there's some relief for those in the PNW.

@dfish Glad you got your power back. I use CPAP too, but can sleep without it. I know my eye doctor doesn't want me to use it for a few days after surgery; mine is very mild, so I'll be fine. Enjoy your sisters weekend!

@smitty34877 Prayers for baby Camilla, her parents, and the extended family. Good news on the tube removal! Great picture of a beautiful baby.

@StLouisCruisers Congrats to DGS Ren! How awesome. Great write-up too.

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1