38 Emails in a month

Guest CoolPapaC

Guest CoolPapaC

That's how many marketing emails I received from Celebrity in June.  Holy crap, that's just silly. This does not include another half dozen from Captain's Club or Blue Chip.  

Heh... I was just commenting to a colleague (who is also a Celebrity customer) that the marketing emails are way out of control. It felt like I was getting 2x/day over the past week or so, and I guess you've actually done the tally!

We were both talking about unsubscribing... If the total count was indeed 38 in a single month, I'm bowing out right now.

Me too, often the email is for a cruise that I'm already booked on and they're telling me to complete my booking.  Sorry I was just checking to see if there was a price drop!  50 in June.

I've always thought that Celebrity sends way too many communications and wondered what their opt-out rates must look like.  I'm guessing that most just scan for important or interesting subject lines and then ignore the rest.  Rarely do I open one.  So, out of curiosity, I counted - 68 in June.  Do I win some sort of prize?

I wish they would give the option of how frequently you want to receive emails.  I don't want to unsubscribe completely because occasionally there's a useful message, but once a week would be more than sufficient considering how often you really book a cruise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, timf2001 said:

I wish they would give the option of how frequently you want to receive emails.  I don't want to unsubscribe completely because occasionally there's a useful message, but once a week would be more than sufficient considering how often you really book a cruise.

Exactly my thinking.  

July - 9 so far (it's July 6)

June - 48 emails + 5 more from Captains Club

Just crazy too many.

18 hours ago, TeaBag said:

Me too, often the email is for a cruise that I'm already booked on and they're telling me to complete my booking.  Sorry I was just checking to see if there was a price drop!  50 in June.

The trick to avoid those pesky 'complete your booking' emails is to use another browser (e.g. Firefox, Opera) for your price drop checks/future cruise exploration. Only go back to your usual browser (the one where Celebrity recognises you) when you want to book/manage a reservation.

3 minutes ago, Bugsy1966 said:

The trick to avoid those pesky 'complete your booking' emails is to use another browser (e.g. Firefox, Opera) for your price drop checks/future cruise exploration. Only go back to your usual browser (the one where Celebrity recognises you) when you want to book/manage a reservation.

I just use "incognito" mode with Chrome.

2 minutes ago, Bugsy1966 said:

No need to use a different browser, as most have a "Private Window" or similar that prevents websites from using cookies stored on your computer to track your visits.

11 hours ago, timf2001 said:

Most decent email apps will allow you to create a folder and direct mail all mail meeting certain criteria to the folder. You can simply create a "Celebrity Mail" folder and direct all incoming mail from Celebrity to the folder and while deleting it from your In box. You can then go in once a week or however often you deem necessary to review your new mail.

37 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

No need to use a different browser, as most have a "Private Window" or similar that prevents websites from using cookies stored on your computer to track your visits.

Understood but I usually have between 40 and 50 tabs open on Chrome at any one time, many of which require a login/password. By keeping them open and remaining in 'standard' mode life is simpler. If I then open a separate incognito or private window (for access to a Celebrity type site that I don't want to be recognised by) it is slightly fiddlier to then click on one of the two overlapping Chrome icons that then exist when I want to switch between the two. Simpler to click on the next door (and larger) Firefox icon, where I keep all open tabs where I prefer to avoid recognition. That's just me though - ymmv!

21 hours ago, CoolPapaC said:

That's how many marketing emails I received from Celebrity in June.  Holy crap, that's just silly. This does not include another half dozen from Captain's Club or Blue Chip.  

Sort of the same frequency of getting all of the Park West Art Auction invites and paper mail once on board.  But far easier to dispose of the emails or put them in Junk folder.

47 minutes ago, Bugsy1966 said:

Understood but I usually have between 40 and 50 tabs open on Chrome at any one time, many of which require a login/password. By keeping them open and remaining in 'standard' mode life is simpler. If I then open a separate incognito or private window (for access to a Celebrity type site that I don't want to be recognised by) it is slightly fiddlier to then click on one of the two overlapping Chrome icons that then exist when I want to switch between the two. Simpler to click on the next door (and larger) Firefox icon, where I keep all open tabs where I prefer to avoid recognition. That's just me though - ymmv!

I was simply pointing out an alternative as there are a good number of CC members with a very limited knowledge of computer use who might not even have a second browser installed. 

23 hours ago, CoolPapaC said:

That's [38] how many marketing emails I received from Celebrity in June.  Holy crap, that's just silly. This does not include another half dozen from Captain's Club or Blue Chip.  

Consider yourself lucky, "Papa."

In the last 21 days alone, we received 41 messages from Celebrity. 

We have nothing older than June 16 (twenty-one days ago) in our "wastebasket." 

If we could have gone back another nine days, we probably would have counted almost sixty messages within thirty days!

Maybe they're irritated about the fact that we don't have a cruise booked right now!

I have also noticed the significant increase in emails from Celebrity, both general marketing and pushing us to book things on upcoming cruises, even those into next year.  Very annoying - I usually delete without opening.

Sadly, when things were really running amok last year as cruises were being cancelled and everyone was trying desperately for their FCC or refunds, there was next to no communication!

• Like 1

Noticed the same... I'm only subscribed so that I can possibly receive a PowerUp Points offer... but no sign of one of those.  Meanwhile I'm sure I've been notified of every possible combination of ship and itinerary out for sale!