Unvaccinated kids can't go ashore unless on RCCL tour?

On 7/15/2021 at 2:21 PM, MariahJ said:

My extended family is cruising next week on JotS out of Cyprus and my sister's 2 boys are 2 and 4, so over course, not vaccinated. My dad says he called RCCL and was told "Families with unvaccinated kids can not go ashore at all unless they are booked on a RCCL tour." Can anyone who's cruised with RCCL recently confirm if this is true?

The other option is that RCCL has a drop off program, parents can do the tour and kids can stay on board:

"Vaccinated parents wishing to go ashore freely can visit our youth facilities once onboard to learn about drop off program hours and availability, and reserve time for their child on the day they wish to go in port".

On 7/15/2021 at 2:35 PM, LadyShiva said:

Have you checked prices between booking via cruiseline versus independently?  For the past few years, it has been 5 bucks more per person on my cruises

not on mine. It's been about 50% cheaper on independent tours (like tubing in Belize or stingray sandbar in Grand Cayman). Plus, we don't always do a tour but mostly take a taxi ($10-25 for 5 ppl) to a beach for a whole day (+$10 pp for a chaise/umbrella), and it comes out a whole lot cheaper than $55 pp for a 3 hour trip to the same beach. For example, Sapphire beach in St Thomas, but there are a lot more examples like that.

If the difference were $5, a lot more people would be willing to do cruise tours, and a lot fewer people would be doing independent tours. But, alas, the difference is not $5.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

7 hours ago, steamboats said:

Currently you can´t book independently as you´re not allowed to leave the ship on your own when you have unvaccinated people (basically kids) in your group.

steamboats

Sorry but these protocols are nothing more than a money grab by RC. A vaccinated person can't visit a port freely because they have unvaccinated kids that are staying on the ship?  There's zero health and safety at play here.

Edited by smokeybandit

On 7/15/2021 at 2:21 PM, smokeybandit said:

Same for US-based cruises, too.

It reeks of a plan to maximize RC excursion bookings and nothing to do with health and safety

If I recall the CDC just modified guidance a few days ago... and I believe it made some requirements for excursions.... So while Royal might profit... it appears CDC prefers non-vaccinated not go on self guided tours. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 10.46.25 AM.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, M&A said:

The other option is that RCCL has a drop off program, parents can do the tour and kids can stay on board:

"Vaccinated parents wishing to go ashore freely can visit our youth facilities once onboard to learn about drop off program hours and availability, and reserve time for their child on the day they wish to go in port".

I read reports that this was not possible. For this was my first thought too. Usually you can leave your kid with the youth program onboard.

steamboats

It appears to me from reading the posts, that RCCL has not updated all it's web pages to match up with the new COVID vaccination protocols.  The policy that takes precedence now is anyone traveling with unvaccinated passengers CANNOT get off the ship except with a tour sponsored by RCCL.  This is NOT a money-grab; it's a safety precaution.

The chart they have available is very specific about what is and is not available to passengers in this situation.  

This is what was published last week for the Allure.  Copy and paste this link, then click on the chart to enlarge it: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/content/faq/allure-of-the-seas-venue-grid.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pcur said:

It appears to me from reading the posts, that RCCL has not updated all it's web pages to match up with the new COVID vaccination protocols.  The policy that takes precedence now is anyone traveling with unvaccinated passengers CANNOT get off the ship except with a tour sponsored by RCCL.  This is NOT a money-grab; it's a safety precaution.

The chart they have available is very specific about what is and is not available to passengers in this situation.  

This is what was published last week for the Allure.  Copy and paste this link, then click on the chart to enlarge it: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/content/faq/allure-of-the-seas-venue-grid.jpg

Here's a link read the In Port section...

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise?dPort=florida-august

3 hours ago, steamboats said:

Usually you can leave your kid with the youth program onboard.

one of the reasons we cruise is to spend family time with our kid - on the ship or on a beach. Leaving him on the ship while we go to the beach doesn't sound right.

• Like 4

On 7/15/2021 at 1:35 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

and not just the families with the kids. People currently sailing on Adventure report that NO ONE from that family will be allowed to leave the ship outside of an RCI tour, even if someone stays on it with the kids.

That turned out to be false. We were able to get off last week and left the 12 year old at Adventure Ocean with no issues 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

one of the reasons we cruise is to spend family time with our kid - on the ship or on a beach. Leaving him on the ship while we go to the beach doesn't sound right.

I homeschool, so one of the reasons I enjoy cruising is to get a break from my kids.  Nothing was better than the kids spending the day in Disney’s Oceaneer club while I had a much needed break.  Now that they are teens, they would like nothing better than to stay on the ship while we spend an hour or so walking in port. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jkaczanowski said:

I homeschool, so one of the reasons I enjoy cruising is to get a break from my kids.  Nothing was better than the kids spending the day in Disney’s Oceaneer club while I had a much needed break.  Now that they are teens, they would like nothing better than to stay on the ship while we spend an hour or so walking in port. 

we do not homeschool, we can only cruise during school breaks, so we definitely try to soak up every moment with him, and on top of that my kid refuses to step foot into a kid's club. That's why I only mentioned why it wouldn't work for US.

On 7/15/2021 at 5:14 PM, atricks said:

Cruises from the US are slightly different:

"Vaccinated parents wishing to go ashore freely can visit our youth facilities once onboard to learn about drop off program hours and availability, and reserve time for their child on the day they wish to go in port.

Tours are not required for any guest to go ashore at our private island, Perfect Day at CocoCay."  I.e. if you go with the kids, you need the tour, if you leave them onboard, you don't.  (Either someone stays and watches them onboard, or drop them off at Adventure Ocean)   Not sure why Adventure of the Seas is different here.

This is what I was expecting however on Freedom last week they changed it to all in the family even if the kids were at adventure ocean. They offered 20% off for the kids 

• Like 1

My next question is whether they will force us to get back on the ship immediately if we take a half day ship tour with unvaccinated kids, or if we can walk around in port after the tour. Anyone cruised recently who can report back?

TIA!

3 minutes ago, MariahJ said:

My next question is whether they will force us to get back on the ship immediately if we take a half day ship tour with unvaccinated kids, or if we can walk around in port after the tour. Anyone cruised recently who can report back?

TIA!

Not sure how it is now, but on one of the sailings there was a couple that decided to leave the excursion and walk around town on their own,  they were located and put off the ship in St Martin….

Edited by GTO-Girl
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GTO-Girl said:

Not sure how it is now, but on one of the sailings there was a couple that decided to leave the excursion and walk around town on their own,  they were located and put off the ship in St Martin….

Apparently that was reported incorrectly.  He corrected himself in a vlog a day or two later.

7 minutes ago, MariahJ said:

TIA!

No you cannot “walk around”…. That is the whole point!  They are unvaccinated so they must stay in the ship bubble. 

Edited by little britain
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MariahJ said:

TIA!

Pretty sure bubble excursion means door-to-door. If they are requiring such excursions, it is because they want to control you movement in order to limit exposure. It is not OK to wander around on your own before, during, or after.

• Like 2

On 7/19/2021 at 2:27 PM, M&A said:

Not on Jewel. 

1 minute ago, mauraoel said:

Apparently that was reported incorrectly.  He corrected himself in a vlog a day or two later.

There sure are a lot of articles about this when you Google it.  Not saying it was incorrect but these cruises lines are doing all they can to stay safe and keep the ports they visit safe.  

There is no way I would push the limit and walk around with unvaccinated people in a port that had such limited access to a vaccine….

IMO….If people cannot follow the rules they need to be put off the ship.  There is too much at stake!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, js1357 said:

So let me get this straight.  They are going to put 50 vaccinated (parents) and unvaccinated (kids) on a bus?  How is that safe?

I expect that just the kids are unvaccinated. I have not seen any written confirmation of this, but it makes sense that these excursions would be limited in capacity and duration - so not 50 crammed on a bus.

On 7/19/2021 at 9:27 AM, M&A said:

The email we received for our 8/15 Allure cruise said this. Our situation is interesting as we have the 2 bedroom Aquatheatre Suite, with six fully vaccinated adults and two unvaccinated children, 9 and 3. Can the kids stay on board with mom and dad while the other vaccinated folks go ashore. Can the kids stay with grandma and grandpa while Mom and Dad go ashore? We shall see. 

I have asked our genie this specific question but have not received a response yet. Maya Chan is not open yet in Costa Maya, so we will be fine either way, but I really need to get off in Cozumel to get some vanilla………

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc

4 hours ago, MariahJ said:

TIA!

From everything I have read on various live reviews No you cannot walk around the port if unvaccinated.    

Remember the islands/ports want to take every precaution with their citizens too!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MariahJ said:

TIA!

We got back on the ship to shower/lunch right after the excursion but saw a few people walking around the port area with kids. We just didn’t want to take the chance and get in trouble….

After lunch we dropped the 11 year old off at Adventure ocean and went downtown all afternoon on our own with no issues until all aboard 

3 hours ago, js1357 said:

So let me get this straight.  They are going to put 50 vaccinated (parents) and unvaccinated (kids) on a bus?  How is that safe?

how is that safe? Well, kids rarely carry/transmit Covid and if you are vaccinated you have nothing to worry about.

this insanity has to end.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1