The Daily for Wednesday July 21, 2021

richwmn

Good morning Rich and Daily-ites. To all posters, thank you for bringing morning joy.

Deb I love scallops and will save your recipe. The wine sounds good as well. I love the long skinny hot dogs that snap when you bite into them. Remember those?

Last night we met friends for an early dinner. Sitting on our patio later, friends started stopping by and the last count was 11. Love our neighborhood! The guys kept Alexa busy exchanging silly songs.

This afternoon is Mahjongg class. Allen put in a request for Salisbury steak for dinner. I do not have any of the ingredients so on my way to the market. 

Ann I hope you are feeling better and your claim goes through without a glitch.

@Sharon in AZ: Sending Birthday wishes to Craig. 

Roy.. thinking positive thoughts for your doctor visits today. 

Jazzy.. well wishes.

image.png.d57c6ecf1a0327ed8e0118554737e861.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

I submitted my claim to my travel insurance provider, now the wait begins. I am still stunned that the ER exam, X-ray, cast, crutches and hospital shorts (I will explain later😉), cost a mere $633.32. I can only guess what that would cost here. 

When I injured my foot in Paris, the ER bill with xrays and doctor, crutches, air cast, and pain meds came to a whopping 60 Euros.  I was convinced they would come after me for more so put money aside to pay for it when I got home.  They never did so two years later I took my first cruise.  

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon everyone.

It is 75°F here.

I have been doing some sales calls this morning and just got a McDonald's chicken sandwich and ice cream at the Retail park where I left Pauline and her best friend 4 and a half hours ago.

I like the Frankfurt hot dogs.

I like Scallops.

Sauvignon Blanc is a favourite of mine but a Marlborough from New Zealand is my preferred.

We have never been to today's port so looking forward to seeing photos from those that have been.

Stay safe everyone.

Graham.

16268735978435949225434354087246.jpg

• Like 23

Just now, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon everyone.

It is 75°F here.

I have been doing some sales calls this morning and just got a McDonald's chicken sandwich and ice cream at the Retail park where I left Pauline and her best friend 4 and a half hours ago.

I like the Frankfurt hot dogs.

I like Scallops.

Sauvignon Blanc is a favourite of mine but a Marlborough from New Zealand is my preferred.

We have never been to today's port so looking forward to seeing photos from those that have been.

Stay safe everyone.

Graham.

16268735978435949225434354087246.jpg

I'm laughing because when I took kids on trips through Europe one of my rules was no fast food.  Woe to them if I caught them in McDonald's or Burger KIng.

One summer I spent several weeks in Madrid taking Spanish classes.  I lived with a lady near the school.  She provided breakfast and dinner daily.  I was on my own for lunch.  One night she suggested that we go out to eat.  I was excited to be going out to dinner in a Spanish restaurant.  The laugh was on me.  She took me to Pizza Hut.  The next time out we went to McDonald's.  Sigh......

• Like 19
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.  I'll salute Being Someone, and probably enjoy hot dogs and junk food more than I should.  I've been to Fakarava a couple of times, always on Crystal.  So true on the Watterson quote.  Busy day today with both rehab and oncologist.  I'll pass on the Scallops.  My alternative is Freshly made lido waffle with mixed berry topping, my final meal on Rotterdam VI, 10 years ago today.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU
Cruising Along’s cousin needing new kidney
DurangoScots shelter manager in ICU
bennybear DSIL infection
JazzyV recovering from eye surgery
Ger_77's friend facing mastectomu
From the rotation:
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe
Scout Jamie C recovering from major surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday Craig
Front Line Health Care Workers
Explorer OTS housing Surfside first responders
Welcome home Highland Cruiser
Atexsix recapping the Seattle fleet
kplady on Lake George
St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip
Denise on her wilderness adventure
NextOne booked for Panama Canal
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thanks for both lists.  I love you meal alternative.

• Like 9

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I like being me because I'm a someone.  We haven't had hot dogs for quite a long time, but they're quite good when done in the air fryer.  When I was still working, once in a while I would declare "junk food Friday" in the lunch room - everyone would bring their favourite junk food to share.  It was quite popular and people looked forward to it.  It's not quite the same at home . . . 

Yesterday was strange because it was foggy all day - not smoky, foggy.  We have such a dry climate that it was most unusual to have fog roll in and stay.  I thought maybe it would clear out all the smoke we've been experiencing, but this morning we've got another red sun shining in the sky.  

@JazzyV I hope your eye is better this morning, or at least improved.

@Sharon in AZ please wish your DH a Happy Birthday for me.

@rafinmd good luck with your 2 appointments today.

I like scallops, but don't have any on hand, so will have to pass on today's menu suggestion.   I do, however, love Roy's waffle and mixed berries - although I'm not sure DH would appreciate that for dinner.  I realized it's time to clean out the fridge, so that means we'll be having leftovers tonight - there are bits of a lot of things in there that will be heated up and served on a long tray as a smorgasbord of leftovers for us to pick and choose what we'd like.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses to toast all on the celebration list.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry  

• Like 28

33 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  No hot dogs or junk food today.  And not sure about be someone day., I'm me everyday.

I meant to mention that Moscato is my absolutes favorite wine.  I was pleased to see it the wine of the day several days ago.  Was introduced to it on a BHB.  The meal  sounds good, will have to see if there are any in the freezer.  The quote is spot on.

Major prayers, virtual hugs, and toasts to our lists.  I pray all tests, surgeries, and appointments go the best they can.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Caribe Sour:

Caribe Sour

INGREDIENTS
1 oz Patrón Silver
.5 oz Pyrat XO Reserve Rum
.75 oz Simple syrup
.75 oz Lime juice
.5 Egg white
2 Mint sprigs
8 Drops smoked salt bitters or salt tincture
+ Mint & lime zest for garnish

METHOD
Muddle one sprig of mint with simple syrup in the bottom of a mixing glass.
Add spirits, lime juice and egg white.
Dry shake (without ice) 10 seconds.
Add ice and shake vigorously to chill and emulsify.
Strain into a chilled cocktail coupe.
Garnish with the expressed oil of a lime zest, then discard the zest.
Drop 8 drops smoked salt bitters (or salt tincture) on the surface of the drink.
Garnish with remaining mint sprig.

Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 8.46.26 AM.png

I hope you are feeling better and that the shingles will be part of your past.  Never heard of this drink before.

• Like 11

12 minutes ago, dfish said:

I'm laughing because when I took kids on trips through Europe one of my rules was no fast food.  Woe to them if I caught them in McDonald's or Burger KIng.

One summer I spent several weeks in Madrid taking Spanish classes.  I lived with a lady near the school.  She provided breakfast and dinner daily.  I was on my own for lunch.  One night she suggested that we go out to eat.  I was excited to be going out to dinner in a Spanish restaurant.  The laugh was on me.  She took me to Pizza Hut.  The next time out we went to McDonald's.  Sigh......

We have been to several outside restaurants on Las Ramblas Barcelona and actually went into McDonald's on Las Ramblas last time we stayed pre-cruise in Barcelona because everywhere was full.

Graham.

IMG-20210719-WA0000.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 23
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.  I'll salute Being Someone, and probably enjoy hot dogs and junk food more than I should.  I've been to Fakarava a couple of times, always on Crystal.  So true on the Watterson quote.  Busy day today with both rehab and oncologist.  I'll pass on the Scallops.  My alternative is Freshly made lido waffle with mixed berry topping, my final meal on Rotterdam VI, 10 years ago today.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU
Cruising Along’s cousin needing new kidney
DurangoScots shelter manager in ICU
bennybear DSIL infection
JazzyV recovering from eye surgery
Ger_77's friend facing mastectomu
From the rotation:
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe
Scout Jamie C recovering from major surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday Craig
Front Line Health Care Workers
Explorer OTS housing Surfside first responders
Welcome home Highland Cruiser
Atexsix recapping the Seattle fleet
kplady on Lake George
St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip
Denise on her wilderness adventure
NextOne booked for Panama Canal
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Good luck today Roy at rehab and also at the oncologist.

Graham.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from central Texas where the sun is shining with a thin laayer of clouds.  It looks like we'll be in the 90sF for the foreseeable future, but so far no triple digits.  👍👋

Today, like all days, I'll be me.  We may have hotdogs with chips tonight.

@dfish Debbie, thanks for the recipe.  I like scallops if they are cooked correctly.  Several years ago, when our vegetarian DD and her SO visisted us in Quartzsite, her SO saw some scallops at the store and wanted some.  Our DD cooked them to perfection and even broke down and ate one. 

Will pass on the drink and the wine of the day.

I like today's quote, and have a different version of my own.  Life keeps interferring with my plans.

@kazu  Your memes nade me chuckle again today.  As far as the first meme, I like both versions, but our dachshunds were never made to wear a hot dog costume.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I hope your eye is much improved today.  You looked so cute in your Dutch hat.

@cat shepard  Just for a start in the US your ER bill probably would have been at least 10 times higher.  Good luck with the travel insurance.  The one time we've used ours, we had not problems.  We've seen hospital shorts when DH had an MRI.  If yours are like his, they are not very substantial.

@Sharon in AZ  Please wish Craig a HAPPY BIRTHDAY! 🎈

We hae not been to today's port.  In 2004, on the Tahitian Princess, we visited Rangiroa, another beautiful, hot atoll.

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, dfish said:

Sometimes, you just need a junk food fix.😁

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I like being me because I'm a someone.  We haven't had hot dogs for quite a long time, but they're quite good when done in the air fryer.  When I was still working, once in a while I would declare "junk food Friday" in the lunch room - everyone would bring their favourite junk food to share.  It was quite popular and people looked forward to it.  It's not quite the same at home . . . 

Yesterday was strange because it was foggy all day - not smoky, foggy.  We have such a dry climate that it was most unusual to have fog roll in and stay.  I thought maybe it would clear out all the smoke we've been experiencing, but this morning we've got another red sun shining in the sky.  

@JazzyV I hope your eye is better this morning, or at least improved.

@Sharon in AZ please wish your DH a Happy Birthday for me.

@rafinmd good luck with your 2 appointments today.

I like scallops, but don't have any on hand, so will have to pass on today's menu suggestion.   I do, however, love Roy's waffle and mixed berries - although I'm not sure DH would appreciate that for dinner.  I realized it's time to clean out the fridge, so that means we'll be having leftovers tonight - there are bits of a lot of things in there that will be heated up and served on a long tray as a smorgasbord of leftovers for us to pick and choose what we'd like.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses to toast all on the celebration list.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry  

Maybe you got our fog.  😁  We were under a dense fog alert yesterday moring, but never had even a wisp. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning everyone!  It's another gloomy, threatening-looking day today.  Rain expected again later but we are in a break now.  Can't wait until this weather pattern is over and we see more sunshine.  

My doctor visit is coming up in a few hours so just hanging out reading the Daily.  I had no breakfast so I will be starving by the time I get back home later.  Maybe we'll have a Nathan's hot dog for lunch in honor of the day.  With potato chips!  I plan on being someone today - myself.  Cool quote, and no thanks to the scallops.  You may share mine.  

We've been to French Polynesia but not to Fakarava.  I looked it up on the map to see where exactly it's located, and boy is that one long skinny atoll!

Prayers for everyone needing them today, and cheers to all celebrating something.  @Sharon in AZplease give Craig my happy birthday wishes.  Each birthday is a blessing!  Good luck to @rafinmdat the two doctor appointments. We can wait until tonight for photos of Fakarava if necessary so don't hurry.  And to anyone else who has photos we thank you in advance.  Thank you @richwmnfor this excellent hump day Daily.  @cat shepardI can't wait for your trip installments to begin.  And I bet just the crutches would cost about $633 here in the US.  

I hope your doctor's appointment goes well for you today Sandi.

Graham.

• Like 11

25 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Question? Who bought the Maasdam and what’s it’s new name? I forgot and wanted to see if I could find a stream or tour of what She looks like now. Thanks!

Both her and the Veendam were bought by a Greek company called Seajets.  The Maasdam is now called Aegean Myth.  Incidentally, I am not very clever, but Google is my friend.

• Like 15
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

My doctor visit is coming up in a few hours so just hanging out reading the Daily. 

Good luck with your appointment today 🤞 

And best of luck to @rafinmd with his two appointments.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Both her and the Veendam were bought by a Greek company called Seajets.  The Maasdam is now called Aegean Myth.  Incidentally, I am not very clever, but Google is my friend.

Thanks! I’m lazy today! 

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Good Morning Everybody!

Not really a hot dog person, but I will salute Junk Food day!  I don't think a day goes by I don't celebrate it in some way.  Although chocolate chip cookies would never be considered "junk", just not as healthy as other choices.

@rafinmd prayers for your appointments. @JazzyV hope your eye is better @richwmn I had no idea you were going to be on our 9/4 sailing, you're more than welcome to join us in the roll call. @Sharon in AZ Happy Birthday to Craig! 

I found out yesterday's mist does not qualify as measurable rain 😞 Today and tomorrow are also the last of the marine layer for awhile, the next two weeks are looking warmer, only 10 more days until air conditioning though!

Looks like the Amsterdam, now Bolette, is getting some much needed TLC as Fred Olson's new flagship, I really like what they did with her hull.  I miss this ship a lot, but I think she'll be in good hands.

Bolette.thumb.jpg.61b2fde987af5c10cc66e7e53084c3e4.jpg

Have a great day everybody!

~Bruno

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 26

👍Thank you for The Daily Rich @richwmn and to Roy @rafinmd for the Care and Celebration Lists.  My best for your two appointments this morning, Roy. 😊

Yes, @cat shepard...medical costs in the US are out of this world. Don't get me started.🤔🙃

We visited today's port from the Marina ( Oceania) and had one hot day!😎

🙏Prayers to all in need. Wishing @JazzyV comfort from eye surgery and a Happy Birthday for Craig @Sharon in AZ.

Katie

0_FB_IMG_1583653161630.jpg

63435aea0b8f5b2cff50910beb9979c5.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Rich for the Daily. And thanks to all who contribute daily to our family news letter. I’ll pass on the drink. Too many raw eggs in one glass. JazzyV I did love your hat yesterday and hope your eye has improved today. Roy I am thinking of you and your busy schedule. Be safe and let us know how it comes out. Happy birthday. Happy anniversary. Today I will be me. 

• Like 18

3 hours ago, lcand1923 said:

Interesting sunrise this morning in my area of MD.  The smoke from the wildfires out west has put a haze on the skyline so strong that the sun could not be seen.  We are under a Code Orange due to the smoke in the air.  The magnitude of the wildfires really hits home when smoke travels across the continent.

Stay Safe, Everyone!

@rafinmd @dfishPretty amazing that our air is 100% clear when some of these fires are only 100 miles away from us.

1400059555_smokeforecast.jpg.87f0f1f313b8252f410b75f89685ec3f.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1