Southampton Hotel recommendations

Chrisstew007

10 hours ago, davecttr said:

I will be using a private hire taxi to travel to Southampton. The driver just contacted me to confirm timings etc. What sort of Taxi? A Tesla 👍🥳😁

Make sure the car turns up with the driver.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, davecttr said:

No problem, I have several radio controllers for models  😁

I can visualize the driver in bed with a can of lager taking you to Southampton on his laptop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, PJ's said:

Most of the hotels in Southampton have deals for cruisers which include a taxi to and from the port. We have used Holiday Inn, Herbert Walker Ave which is overlooking the port and in a brilliant location. They also do deals which include a taxi to and from the port. 

We stayed in that hotel.Harbour view rooms great,you watch your ship sail in.The hotel is a bit tired now,we were stuck in the lift for half hour on embark day.Shouting and hollering and pressing alarm forever.Just as the fire brigade turned up,the bloody doors opened.lol.Other than that,OK.

• Like 1

We always stay in the Premier Inn West Quay and also use this one for shopping trips as Southampton is so much better for shopping than Swindon and less than 90mins away, 

We found the Staff and food to be good.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kalos said:

A couple of years back before the pandemic some people used to like 

to stay at the country club Meon Valley hotel. It looks  like this hotel has hit 

upon hard times if this recent film is anything to go by .

I would hate to think any of you guys were to book unwittingly :classic_ohmy:

That's because its no longer a Marriott.  It was taken over by Britannia Hotels and they're a notoriously poor chain.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, besberry said:

That's because its no longer a Marriott.  It was taken over by Britannia Hotels and they're a notoriously poor chain.

Yes I was aware of that and like you say they do not have a good track record .

They took one over from Marriott up in the North East we like to use and that one is 

now reporting the lifts out of order amongst other things .:classic_mellow:

• Like 1

Staff shortages due to Brexit and Covid seem to have reaked havoc on the hotel industry.We stayed in the 4star Q hotel in Basingstoke recently.We didn't get our room till 10pm and the dinner menu included in our deal consisted of pizza,pie and chips and a microwave curry all valued at 18 quid each.The only good thing was the 1 complimentary drink.I bunged the barmaid a fiver and caned the bar from 4 till 10pm.We've got a free stay in Dec as compo,hopefully things will improve by then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, besberry said:

I did not know that Michael, now i can see why all the poor reports Britannia hotels are U/S. They take over quality hotels and run them badly.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, brian1 said:

We stayed in that hotel.Harbour view rooms great,you watch your ship sail in.The hotel is a bit tired now,we were stuck in the lift for half hour on embark day.Shouting and hollering and pressing alarm forever.Just as the fire brigade turned up,the bloody doors opened.lol.Other than that,OK.

What a nightmare Brian.

I think we all dread getting stuck in a lift.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kalos said:

Yes I was aware of that and like you say they do not have a good track record .

They took one over from Marriott up in the North East we like to use and that one is 

now reporting the lifts out of order amongst other things .:classic_mellow:

Some of these hotels that are now Britannia were.

Post House group which was excellent,then Marriott and now Britannia.

• Like 2

We are staying at the Doubletree. Considered changing to somewhere closer to the port but prices are ridiculous as it’s BH weekend. Usually stay at either the Holiday Inn or the Premier Inn, happy with either. Only problem we’ve had is trying to get down in the lift when the hotel is full. 

On 8/18/2021 at 9:22 PM, Presto2 said:

Holiday Inn without a doubt --- love it. You can have a room facing either terminal and can walk in.

So close to town and the views are fabulous. You can lie in bed and watch your ship come in (if you are keen) and then watch her while you have your breakfast. Have stayed here when using P&O, Royal Caribbean and would not stay anywhere else.

Have stayed at the Dolphin but were far less impressed

I stayed there in 2018, it was a bit tired round the area our room was and we couldn’t see the ship from our room! We had to run down the corridor and peer out the window there 😃

14 hours ago, Stokie33 said:

We always stay in the Premier Inn West Quay and also use this one for shopping trips as Southampton is so much better for shopping than Swindon and less than 90mins away, 

We found the Staff and food to be good.

I love that Premier Inn, so close to the shops and many restaurants. People say there’s no parking but at £5 for 23 hours in the next door multi storey it’s very reasonable.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 6:42 PM, daiB said:

If you want to push the boat out try The Harbour Hotel in Ocean Village. Nice bit of luxury.

Dai

That's where we are staying, special treat, 25th wedding anniversary. When I booked it was £220 pn with £20 cash back, it's now £370  !!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We returned from 4n on Britannia on 26/08/21, stayed overnight in the Holiday Inn, Southampton. We parked using CPS on Ocean Terminal. The hotel was good, perfect for our needs. Parking at the Holiday Inn is extra at £15/night so our tip might be park at the hotel for the duration of your cruise and walk in to the Ocean Terminal as an alternative to parking with CPS and potentially avoiding parking problems with CPS which we did experience.

The hotel cost £145 B&B so not cheap.

On 8/18/2021 at 6:09 PM, indiana123 said:

The Premier Inn at West quay is always well patronised by cruisers.  No facility to leave the car there though.  They will assist with taxis.

There are so many in the area that it is hard to choose.  We are going to The Dolphin this time.

Hi I'm staying at the Dolphin at the end of October?  Is the Hotel nice and how far is it from the port?  I can't walk too far (especially with a case) and wondered if I'd need a taxi.  Thanks 

29 minutes ago, Deppy66 said:

Hi I'm staying at the Dolphin at the end of October?  Is the Hotel nice and how far is it from the port?  I can't walk too far (especially with a case) and wondered if I'd need a taxi.  Thanks 

There are much better hotels to select from.

Only stayed once and according to many recent cruisers it has not changed.
It’s a scruffy, frayed about the edges, large expensive guest house, having the deluded pretensions of being a good hotel.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Predictive

Have stayed at the Dolphin a few times over the years.  We always get a taxi, and have no mobility issues.  Last time was about £7-8 (inc tip) to Mayflower Terminal.  Probably the furthest terminal from the Dolphin.

Yes, it has seen better days, but it's right in the centre of town.  Has on occasion been cheaper than the the likes of Premier Inn.

• Like 1