COVID Test

arrice2

Does anyone have direct knowledge as to which COVID tests are not acceptable?

My Walgreen’s  offers 3 tests:

Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW), Dignostic Lab Test (PCR), and Rapid Antigen Test (BinaxNow)

Their map shows the closest facility for Rapid Antigen is in Washington State, the PCR about an 80 mile trip, and the Rapid Diagnostic is right down the street.

25 minutes ago, arrice2 said:

Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW), Dignostic Lab Test (PCR), and Rapid Antigen Test (BinaxNow)

Their map shows the closest facility for Rapid Antigen is in Washington State, the PCR about an 80 mile trip, and the Rapid Diagnostic is right down the street.

All three meet the Princess requirements.  Same here the ID NOW is the only option. I gave the pharmacist the Princess guidelines and he said it would be fine as it is a NAAT test. The Diagnostics Lab test would take longer to get the results back. Then there is the question of availability, Walgreens has had some shortages. 

Edited by Musky Ike

1 hour ago, arrice2 said:

watch you time as PCR takes longer 

The current Princess rules are on their website under COVID-19 Guest Protocols and Frequency Asked Questions under Cruise Health. They have different rules for Summer Sailings from the UK through September 28, 2021, and for Sailings from the United States through December 31, 2021.

They are very specific about the types of COVID-19 vaccines and tests that are required and the documentation you need to have.

My hubby and I stressed over taking the PCR before our June cruise as they specified it had to be the naso-pharyngal not the rapid. We waited for the results to come back in the time frame needed and they did not so we ran to Walgreens and got the rapid test which took about 8 hrs to come back. We had no problem getting on the plane or ship with it. The first time I took it was in Jan when so few were traveling ( had to go to my Father's funeral in England) the result came back in less than an hour then. In June they were a lot busier. Got to say the planes were a lot more comfortable in Jan/Feb. There were only 40 passengers on the flight to UK from Orlando and around 60 on the return. 

Can anyone who took the rapid antigen test at a CVS confirm that it was done without charge after you answered the questions that you were testing for travel and answered all the other questions in the negative? Some on our roll call are reporting there is a charge for the test in this circumstance? There is a disclaimer saying the test is without cost to you, but now I'm wondering and looking for firsthand info. Thanks! 

1 minute ago, TinaLee said:

Can anyone who took the rapid antigen test at a CVS confirm that it was done without charge after you answered the questions that you were testing for travel and answered all the other questions in the negative? Some on our roll call are reporting there is a charge for the test in this circumstance? There is a disclaimer saying the test is without cost to you, but now I'm wondering and looking for firsthand info. Thanks! 

We used Walgreens. There are a couple of  questions that you answer. It is free if you qualify. 

• Like 1

Just now, gmjc2 said:

We used Walgreens. There are a couple of  questions that you answer. It is free if you qualify. 

Thanks - Walgreens here has zero availability. We did answer all the questions for free testing with Quest and they said we were eligible, but that is a PCR test and you've got to worry about getting results back in time, so I was looking into rapid testing through CVS. Looking at the questionnaire, I think we can honestly answer yes to their first two questions, i.e. we are booking the test for travel and we have been in a circumstance where social distancing was not possible (everywhere). 🙂 

22 minutes ago, TinaLee said:

Thanks - Walgreens here has zero availability. We did answer all the questions for free testing with Quest and they said we were eligible, but that is a PCR test and you've got to worry about getting results back in time, so I was looking into rapid testing through CVS. Looking at the questionnaire, I think we can honestly answer yes to their first two questions, i.e. we are booking the test for travel and we have been in a circumstance where social distancing was not possible (everywhere). 🙂 

If you pass the question part it should tell you if there is a charge I would think. Our daughter does not have any health issues but she passed for Walgreens but we have had no experience with CVS sorry.

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2021 at 9:33 AM, TinaLee said:

I said I was getting test to avoid spreading during travel or words to that effect in the first question, then said I live in an area with high covid cases. I entered my insurance info & no charge. just went to my insurance website & they said "denied" & for CVS to send to my doctor or something like that. On the charge for me it said zero.

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2021 at 9:39 AM, TinaLee said:

Do any of the hospital clinics in Orlando offer the PCR test? Hospitals tend to have their own PCR test equipment and have fast turn round time.

I used Walgreens and took the ID Now test.  Had results back in 20 min.  The company that Princess uses is not in the State of Ohio.  I will be using Walgreens again for my Oct cruise.  The main thing is there has to be a pharmacy staff member watch you as you swab your nostrils;  then you put swab into bag; seal the bag and hand it back

• Like 1

While there is still some indications that testing might be required before our embarkation we still have an appointment with our doctor to have the rapid testing done 3 days before our November 6th voyage out of Port Everglades.

Further, we are both getting our booster soon as our schedule allows.

• Like 3

On 8/26/2021 at 11:37 AM, gmjc2 said:

16 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

We got a 3rd shot Thursday as we are immuno-compromised.  

Will get the Walgreens rapid test before flying to UK as we have in the past.

17 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

We got a 3rd shot Thursday as we are immuno-compromised.  

Will get the Walgreens rapid test before flying to UK as we have in the past.

WE will get our third shot on Monday and are flying to UK in November. We are planning to get our test at Walgreens also. HOpefully we pick the right test

We recently used Walgreens to get (BinaxNow)rapid antigen test for a different reason. It was very easy and we had our results back in about 20 minutes. I would like to use them again for our upcoming cruise in Oct but I am not sure what I should present to the cruise line as proof of negative test. We received our results in an email and it basically had our first and last name and said “you do not have Covid-19  at the time of this testing.“ It was not real official looking and there definitely was nothing to print out. Can someone that has tested at Walgreens tell me how/what you showed, was it on your phone or did you print something out?

I found it easy to go on our County website to book testing appts.

Can also try your city.... for Locations to book covid tests.

Our county listed a few different places to get the nose swab tests done.

We just did one this morning, as a dry run..... Tester sits in a booth & watches you swab nose yourself.

Cost us nothing.  But we did need to fill in Medical info before test was booked online.

I don't know about the Rapid test, and hoping we don't have to count on only that?

Would it qualify?

We may end up doing both.  3 days before near home book Nose swab again, before we fly.

(Tests results taking 1-2 days)

And possibly book a rapid test for last min, near the terminal?

Our cruise is end of Oct. so we are still in the Oct. 31 cutoff for showing proof of Neg. test.

9 hours ago, Jadn13 said:

The tests are paid for by the Federal government as part of the pandemic control effort.

Quest Diagnostics in my experience has been blah. I wonder if Princess is getting a finders fee for referring people to Quest?