Beer package for 18 year old?

55 minutes ago, retiredgram said:

Don't know about being fined, but I seem to remember, several years ago, a part of a family being put off at the next port because of the teenagers not adhering to the rules about drinking. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Not a 'fined' scenario either, but they could have their DBP cancelled with no refund for violating the rule against sharing.  The only thing I have seen related to this was what looked like parents passing drinks to their kids in Viking.  I guess they thought they were being sneaky getting drinks from the bar and taking them out of sight where they were sitting and passing them off, didn't take long for security to notice and give them a talking to.  No idea if there were any consequences beyond that.

• Like 1

On my very first cruise back in 2003 (I think?) on the Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan-I was 20 and my now husband was 21. We were with my entire family but in our own cabin. He was able to sign a form stating that I could drink beer and wine and that he was "responsible" for monitoring my drinking (not sure of exact wording) Now, I think that exception has been gone for many years, but I still laugh at the thought of a 21 year old overseeing and 20 year old's actions. 😆

As it's been answered, any ship out of US or US territories will follow the 21 and older only rule. If your 18-20 year old wants to purchase drinks on a cruise ship, you will have to sail from another country or sounds like NCL still has an option

Edited by KG1924
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, retiredgram said:

Don't know about being fined, but I seem to remember, several years ago, a part of a family being put off at the next port because of the teenagers not adhering to the rules about drinking. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, I remember that.  There was a thread at the time.  They kicked the parents and their kids from what I remember.   It doesn't matter how ridiculous someone thinks the rule is, it is the rule.  Like not smoking on your balcony or in your cabin is a rule.

4 hours ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Just to be clear, I'm in no way lobbying to let a bunch of 18 year olds drink on my next cruise.  All I'm saying is that telling a legal adult that they can only do something if another legal adult says they can is kinda sketchy at best.

Maybe you aren’t a parent?  Legal age or not (and mine are 31 & 36!) they still know where that line they can’t cross is.  An 18 year old may be a legal adult but they are not of legal drinking age.  Frankly I don’t think they should be allowed to drink on board, don’t care if God signs the form.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I signed for one of my sons to be able to do this on an NCL cruise. Clearly everyone has to make their own decision.  My son was 2 months from the age of 21 and responsible.  He had 1 or 2 drinks per day.  

Relative to Royal, no such option.  We allowed our sons to have some beer on islands where it was legal for their ages.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Just to be clear, I'm in no way lobbying to let a bunch of 18 year olds drink on my next cruise.  All I'm saying is that telling a legal adult that they can only do something if another legal adult says they can is kinda sketchy at best.

Think of it more like being a cosigner on a loan.  If the person you are cosigner for doesn't make the payments on the loan, the bank will expect you to pay up for that other legal adult.  The cruise line is just trying to make sure that a theoretically more mature adult is taking responsibility that the younger adult doesn't get too out of control.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stowite said:

Think of it more like being a cosigner on a loan.  If the person you are cosigner for doesn't make the payments on the loan, the bank will expect you to pay up for that other legal adult.  The cruise line is just trying to make sure that a theoretically more mature adult is taking responsibility that the younger adult doesn't get too out of control.

I guess that's one way to look at it.  Maybe they'll start to require this of everyone under 25.

23 hours ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

Debating whether or not to bring our son who's going to be 18 before our next cruise.  He's inquiring about drinking on the ship.  I do recall seeing that 18 year olds can drink beer and wine on board.  My question is, are there packages for the 18-20 year olds or do they have to buy a la carte?  I know as the parent, I need to sign something, which is no big deal but just looking to make it financially worth it if possible...Yes, we never cruise without the Unlimited Drink Package, but don't want to cheat it and give him beer without paying...

Hey YF4L...first, what a nice 13 games run we had!!!  Let's hope the Pinstripes get back on track soon.

Now, just ask yourself...would you let your 18 year old have a beer in Yankee Stadium?  And to do so would you violate any rules governing the sale of alcohol in the Bronx? 

That said, simply look at the legal drinking age for the port stops you are heading for.  If any are 18 and older, let him have a beer there.  Otherwise, stick to the soft drinks.  And pray for a wild card berth.🙂

18 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

.would you let your 18 year old have a beer in Yankee Stadium?  And to do so would you violate any rules governing the sale of alcohol in the Bronx? 

Good way to look at it.  It's a sunny Saturday afternoon in The Bronx with my 18 year old and 50,000 other people.  Might I hand him a beer?  Absolutely!  Am I going to feed them to him all afternoon and let him tie one on?  Hell no. I wouldn't let him do that at home either.

21 hours ago, davekathy said:

If I was the kid I'd want stay home and party.  Not on a ship with the restrictions and my parents. 😂

My kids happily sailed with me at 18, 19, 20, 21, 22............................(Then they finally got lives of their own 😉 😄 )

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, davekathy said:

If I was the kid I'd want stay home and party.  Not on a ship with the restrictions and my parents. 😂

On 8/30/2021 at 8:50 AM, YankeesFan4Life said:

Debating whether or not to bring our son who's going to be 18 before our next cruise.  

What did your 18 year old son do to deserve such punishment? 😉

• Haha 1

On 8/30/2021 at 9:43 AM, twangster said:

Think I recall NCL having this policy a few years ago (beer/wine only for 18+).  Not sure if they still do.  You might want to check out the NCL message boards and ask over there. 

I signed a waiver for my 19 and 20 year olds. Unfortunately, even though they would’ve been eligible for the beverage package for free, they only hit the soda package because they weren’t 21, so had to pay for beer and wine. This was NCL.

18 hours ago, poocher said:

Maybe you aren’t a parent?  Legal age or not (and mine are 31 & 36!) they still know where that line they can’t cross is.  An 18 year old may be a legal adult but they are not of legal drinking age.  Frankly I don’t think they should be allowed to drink on board, don’t care if God signs the form.

I have 5 adult children (18, 18, 20, 23, 25). I know they drink alcohol, the younger ones have fakes (and are away at college), and I allow them to drink (in moderation) at home (and the last part is even legal).

We took our first cruise on NCL because we asked our kids if they wanted to cruise with us. The boys were 15, 19 and 21 at the time. We were actually surprized that came back to us and said yes. The middle one convinced his brothers that they should sail with us but only if we would sail on NCL, and yes he researched it! 🍺 He was already legal to drink in Ontario, and he was only going on a cruise that didn't treat him like a kid again.

Edited by DirtyDawg

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

I have no problem with the drinking age being 18 years old no matter where or what you're doing.  I remember when the drinking age was 18 and that was for anything with alcohol in it. 

When I was 18, in the late 70's, beer and wine were legal, but not liquor in most of the metro DC area (MD and VA).  In DC itself I seem to remember liquor was 18.  I remember when they changed it to 21 in MD.  My sister fell under the grandfathering so she was "legal" when others under 21 weren't.  The reality is, back then, DH and I were dating and while he was 21, I was 18 and no one ever carded me if I ordered a mixed drink in a club/disco.  But, I tended to only have one.  My feeling is though, if the rule is 21 and someone breaks it, then whatever consequences happen, happen.  

Just now, BND said:

When I was 18, in the late 70's, beer and wine were legal, but not liquor in most of the metro DC area (MD and VA).  In DC itself I seem to remember liquor was 18.  I remember when they changed it to 21 in MD.  My sister fell under the grandfathering so she was "legal" when others under 21 weren't.  The reality is, back then, DH and I were dating and while he was 21, I was 18 and no one ever carded me if I ordered a mixed drink in a club/disco.  But, I tended to only have one.  My feeling is though, if the rule is 21 and someone breaks it, then whatever consequences happen, happen.  

Agree. If the rule/law is now 21 so be it and no questions, arguments or debates. IMO if you are contributing to the minor you are to be held accountable. More severely than the minor that is busted for drinking. 

I was 18 in 1970 (year I graduated) and anything legally sold with alcohol in it NY state was legal. Our driver license's didn't even have our pictures on them back then and I started driving in 1968.  

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

I have 5 adult children (18, 18, 20, 23, 25). I know they drink alcohol, the younger ones have fakes (and are away at college), and I allow them to drink (in moderation) at home (and the last part is even legal).

Sorry nope, use your fake ID’s at college where I can’t see or stop you but not where I can.  When you’re 21, you can do what you want.

BTW both continue to cruise/vacation with us into their 30’s.

Edited by poocher

5 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

My kids happily sailed with me at 18, 19, 20, 21, 22............................(Then they finally got lives of their own 😉 😄 )

Our adult kids in their late 30's early 40's with kids of their own still sail with us yearly...Having lives of their own makes no difference.

• Like 1

Four Kids, and twice we have sailed when a child was 20.  I was told about the waiver option, but we sailed somewhat after it was abolished.  On board I was talking to some staff about the change, and they said one of the issues (aside the obvious) was the 18 year olds were regularly supplying drinks to younger kids, and they would deal with drunk and many times sick mid-teenagers.  

Eddie