Rccl now requires a covid19 test within 2 days of sailing!

DJChick

16 minutes ago, DandDM said:

For those that ordered and received the emed tests, did the shipment require a signature, and if so, did it need to be the addressee?  I'm willing to buy the six pack to get ahead of the rush of orders, but traveling and won't be home for another ten days (then have four days before leaving for cruise...).

thanks

No, Mine did not. Arrived early in the day by Fedex, I was watching out for them if I needed to sign. I ordered on 8/29 and had them on 8/31. 

52 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

This is a problem because our local testing sites are averaging 2.5 days to return the PCR test results.  The few places that offer the 2-hour rapid antigen test sometimes pull a switch and give you the PCR test when you show up for your appointment.  I see the BinaxNow AG card test as the "only" reliable option.  And those are in tight supply right now.  

The biggest concern would be for children under 12 where they now require a PCR test as the only option.  If you have children, I think your only option is to cancel the cruise because the chance of getting a PCR test back in 3 days is no better than a coin flip.  

Now that children are back to school in most places Royal may not be focusing on family cruises and may now be focusing on all of us fully vaccinated adults.    

Yes, that will make it difficult for children not of school age yet to cruise, but I guess if they really want to cruise they will do whatever they can to get that child a PCR test

51 minutes ago, DandDM said:

The email says the tests will be available to order on the 8th, but as you point out, they can be ordered now.  Anyone see a downside to ordering them now?

Edited to add: looks like only the 'six pack' is available right now on the web site...

If you have more than one cruise scheduled, the six pack may be your best option. With tax, it comes out to $27.91/test. Even if you only use some of the kits, you will have some peace of mind that you are not dependent on RCL's 2-day shipping statement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, royalnewbie said:

Agreed, I have my 8 needed tests already.  Our county library gives them out for free and yes they are the proctored AG Card tests by Abbott.

That's interesting.  I will have to check out our library.

55 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

We are in the opposite situation as our air fare to San Juan is already purchased and two night hotel stay is paid for. We will get to our hotel and then have to take the test. If we fail we are screwed.

Order the 6 pack of tests.  Maybe do this:    Each take a emed test right before your flight, then double mask and social distance as much as you possibly can while in the airport and on the plane.   then hold your breath and  test again when you get to your hotel.    Worst case you quarantine in San Juan for 10 to 14 days and enjoy being retired🤩

• Like 3

Tomorrow, I’ll be setting up my appointment at CVS  for 9/17 for our 9/19 Oasis cruise. May order the home test for our October and January cruise as we will be in FL for those and it’s much much tougher to schedule a test there. 

mac_tlc

10 minutes ago, ginnynj said:

No, Mine did not. Arrived early in the day by Fedex, I was watching out for them if I needed to sign. I ordered on 8/29 and had them on 8/31. 

Thanks!  Ordering right now.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Just got the kits today but I still would like a backup and pier testing would be a good backup. 

hi. I am looking on the Abbott website and cannot find a place to order. How is everyone ordering them?

thanks

3 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Order the 6 pack of tests.  Maybe do this:    Each take a emed test right before your flight, then double mask and social distance as much as you possibly can while in the airport and on the plane.   then hold your breath and  test again when you get to your hotel.    Worst case you quarantine in San Juan for 10 to 14 days and enjoy being retired🤩

I'm assuming he ordered and received them since he post to Lou how much the shipping was for 6.

My bet is sea dog is so tech savvy unlike me this isnt even scary. His tech talks to each other, mine doesn't exist. 

I'll wait but see how CVS testing goes next week. Some of us arent tech and dont want to be lol. 

• Like 2

and so what about the CWC then????

If 48 hours out we are testing and it gets cancelled or whatever, then what happens if under 48 hours we need to cancel under CWC?

pay attention if your appointments get cancelled and you are under 48 hours.  Now what?

Next week say for a Sept 9th cruise you have to test on the 7th, but you have too also notify RCI before midnight of the 6th in order to get your CWC.     

Me thinks RCI owes us the REST of the STORY

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm assuming he ordered and received them since he post to Lou how much the shipping was for 6.

My bet is sea dog is so tech savvy unlike me this isnt even scary. His tech talks to each other, mine doesn't exist. 

I'll wait but see how CVS testing goes next week. Some of us arent tech and dont want to be lol. 

I've done enough  zoom meetings and webinars in the last 18 months that I am sure I could handle doing the telemed test.     

I am curious to see if Royal's link to order tests will be any cheaper than if you buy them yourself.    

I suspect carnival's option to pay for a third party for rapid test at cruise port parking lot will cost  more than ordering online.    BTW, I picture one of those old PhotoHuts.

• Haha 2

I can't be the only one that doesn't know what 2 days mean?  48 hours before sail time?  If I'm leaving on October 1st, that mean I need to get tested on 09/29 or 09/30?  Does the time of day matter?

This is so stressful.  Losing $10,000 on a cruise is not on my radar.

So Richard Fain did a grand speech about how combating Delta is like the Battle of the Bulge, where everybody has to come together and act heroically and sacrifice. NCL is testing everyone for free. Carnival and its brands are setting up backup testing at the port for assurance, and Princess will give a FCC or refund if you don't have results in time. RCL is...sending out a link to order home tests. If this is the Battle of the Bulge, then RCL is Switzerland, neutral and letting everyone else fight on the front lines to help them survive. Way to step up and be an industry leader and allow frightened, stressed passengers to cruise with confidence. I was inspired by his previous videos, but now it just seems he's a self-serving BS artist. 

• Like 1

Just now, steveru621 said:

I can't be the only one that doesn't know what 2 days mean?  48 hours before sail time?  If I'm leaving on October 1st, that mean I need to get tested on 09/29 or 09/30?  Does the time of day matter?

2 calendar days, not 48 hours. Time of day does not matter.

• Like 3

Carnival's, and now princess will have port testing, but it's not free. You may be able to bill your insurance company. No price yet, and Carnival has said November at the earliest, so you still have to get a 2 day on your own before they have the port test in place.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

and so what about the CWC then????

If 48 hours out we are testing and it gets cancelled or whatever, then what happens if under 48 hours we need to cancel under CWC?

pay attention if your appointments get cancelled and you are under 48 hours.  Now what?

Next week say for a Sept 9th cruise you have to test on the 7th, but you have too also notify RCI before midnight of the 6th in order to get your CWC.     

Me thinks RCI owes us the REST of the STORY

Seems like it is taken care of and you will not lose any money....through Dec 31, 2021

Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 6.30.48 PM.png

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

Royal Caribbean does not count the day you board the ship as one of the test days.  Sailing on October 1 means you can test any time on 9/29 and it will be valid, and of course on 9/30.  They don't look at the time of day just the date stamp on the test. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I've done enough  zoom meetings and webinars in the last 18 months that I am sure I could handle doing the telemed test.     

I am curious to see if Royal's link to order tests will be any cheaper than if you buy them yourself.    

I suspect carnival's option to pay for a third party for rapid test at cruise port parking lot will cost  more than ordering online.    BTW, I picture one of those old PhotoHuts.

I have never been tested for covid, next week will be the first time.

Dont think I've done a zoom meeting either. 

As far as the news that carnival will do port testing, odd all I've read is they are looking into port testing, not that it's been decided they would. Though they are much better at communication..  I'm still waiting for my email from rcl about the changes ... as usual rcl fail. No email.

Carnival sent me 2 emails about the change and has been calling people on my roll call to remind them of testing requirements. News to me though port testing is a done deal for carnival. My emails says looking into it.

42 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

My bet is sea dog is so tech savvy unlike me this isnt even scary. 

Thanks yes I am a tech nerd but I’m a still scared. I will be a nervous wreck while we go through 3 people getting tested via eMed one at time. It will be a stressful hour to say the least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeBayAreaCa said:

I would imagine the cancellation rate will go up .

50% Paxs capacity may be the norm, until things get better and protocols are eased.  Thank God I'm on Oasis Sept. 5 and just received the e-mails with my PCR results.

Does anyone know the science/stats between the 3 vs the 2 days.  

• Like 1