The Daily for Wednesday September 08, 2021

richwmn

Today is International Literacy Day, Natonal Ampersand Day, and National Date Nut Bread Day

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment. - Buddha"

Meal suggestion for today - Jaeger Schnitzel

Drink of the Day - Tuxedo

Wine of the day - Santa Carolina Cellar Selection Chardonnay - Chile - White

Destination of the Day - Sete France

Ships with Passengers

Katakolon, Olympia, Greece
Eurodam 09:00 - 16:00

Sitka, AK
Nieuw Amsterdam 08:00 - 17:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Atlantic
Rotterdam Destination Ijmuiden NL eta 9/10

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Drifting
Zuiderdam Drifting

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Ensenada MX
Noordam Anchorage

Puerto Vallarta MX
Westerdam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Amchorage

0908Europe.thumb.png.f4a5c8c5d2ccc3e440faa632e774d27a.png

0908NAmerica1.thumb.png.34e4a84f559cca4cdc56046ef63a2a38.png

0908Alaska.thumb.png.338ab17a440c38f92418a928d21b1ca0.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 9

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.  A great selection of days.  Yesterday was a crazy day and I hope I got the lists right, my apologies if I've added or missed something in error.  I love the Buddha quote.  Have not been to Sete.  Will pass on the schnitzel.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western (Especially BC and Lake Tahoe) wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer
JAM37 DH fighting Covid but contuing to show improvement
Allen (Seasick Sailor DH) awaiting biopsoy results
dfish friend Donna needing new hip instead of cruising
StLouisCruiser awaiting Friday larngoscopy
From the rotation:
Cruisin single awaiting mamogram clarification
NextOne DDIL with long haul Covid

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Welcome back Vmax1700
Rosh Hashanah conclusion
2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
4 days for dfish
KirkNC completing move to Hatteras
Less smoke for lindaler
Notseh2o visit with mom
Getaway for segarsmoker
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 5

Good morning everyone, looks like a beautiful day in store for us.  Literacy is so important for our society as is the &.  Although I don’t think I’ve ever had date nut bread I think I’d like it.  Buddha was right, focus on now.  Don’t like the taste of Jaeger so not sure about the dish.  Last night’s chicken was delicious by the way.  Have not been to today’s port and look forward to seeing the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today and cheers for all celebrating a happy event today.

• Like 24

Good morning all!  Literacy is certainly valuable, but the other two days seem more 'fun' - my daughter is a graphic designer and one of her favorite symbols is the ampersand...I'll have to share that today is a day to celebrate that!  I'll pass on the date nut bread though...

The quote by Buddha seems so appropriate for the times.  Treasure the present day, soak it all in - you will never know when an ordinary moment might become extraordinary.

Jaeger schnitzel was always one of my Dad's favorites...if the recipe looks moderately easy, I may need to try cooking it.

The drink of the day sounds interesting, but the wine had me at 'Chile'...a favorite region, I'm sure it is one I would love to enjoy.

Cheers to those celebrating, and prayers to those who seek better days.  May we all have an extraordinary moment of joy today.

• Like 26

Good morning.  Thank you for the Daily Report.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&  Hooray for the ampersand.

Everyday should be literacy day.  Date nut bread sounds good too.

I like the quote, I should follow it.

The meal sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

Hope the drink and wine are good too.

Prayers to everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

We had a bad storm go through southern Ontario last night.  Possible tornadoes a few miles from our home.  Trees down and no power in our home town.  We are at our trailer a couple of hours away, lots of rain here, but no damage that I can see.  Hope things dry up today.

Happy Hump Day.

Stay safe.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon.

It is currently sunny and 77°F.

Thank you for today's daily and care reports Rich and Roy.

Interesting days today.

In 2021 it is sad there is a lot of literacy problems worldwide.

Perfect quote as we should all live in the present.

I will give the food and drink a miss.

Nice port today best known as being the Mediterranean's biggest fishing port.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care report.

Take care everyone.

Graham.

Screenshot_20210908_121255.jpg

Screenshot_20210908_121645.jpg

Screenshot_20210908_122050.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Hump Day smile 🙂 

Great collection of days.  Literacy is so important & needs to be celebrated everyday.  I’ll happily celebrate Ampersand Day since I’ve been to use them time & again 😉 

Love the quote by Buddha - so true.

Looking forward to the meal of the day description.  I’ve certainly had schnitzel but not this one & a white wine today- Hurrah 😄 

Sprayed my dahlias with a concoction of Epsom salts & water.  Supposedly it’s supposed to help give them magnesium & chlorophyll back.  It can’t hurt & if it works, I’ll know for next year earlier on if we get this amount of rain again.

574ABADF-9122-4AC7-B3B9-20264B0DBBBA.jpeg.2fede5144f6e864eede7f4eb01a0e228.jpeg

Lots of fresh produce out there right now.  Canning season has arrived - are you ready?

BF85C380-E18E-43D6-A3CF-923C560E51F3.jpeg.972980fdb9bf7b00a8e97574ebbf3037.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them & 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Wednesday everyone!!!!!

6B010824-D5D4-430E-B6A7-38C8C67E8721.jpeg.dc97252dd84be53ca280f128a0a79ea6.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 37

Good morning. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

Literacy is so important, I agree it should be every day. Love date nut bread, honestly I love most bread. The ampersand is a great symbol...as a pianist it looks similar to the treble clef.

The quote is great advice.

Looking forward to the schnitzel recipe as well as more pictures of the port.

DH continues to improve, his voice is even getting back to normal.

I've been getting quite a bit of housework done the last couple of days, but think today will be a rest day as I woke up with back pains.

Prayers and praises for those on our lists.

Hoping everyone has a great day.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!

Today is a big day.  Between literacy & ampersands & nut bread, I will squeeze in my COVID test for my Alaskan cruise.   I am positive I'll test negative since I've been no where and seen no one.  Then, I'll go through the suitcase again and make sure I take out what I don't really need and that I have what I really do need!

I found this recipe for the schnitzel and it gives some of the variations that you will find in the recipe.  

https://www.quick-german-recipes.com/jagerschnitzel.html

jagerschnitzel-600-2020.jpg.f7b5635d0f9ee4a2f7596db95b2c1717.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Good afternoon from me and good morning to you.

Misty warm day here 65°F here (or 18°C in real money)

Loved the original Star Trek but never really got into the spinoffs.  They just did not compute.

Just spent the morning clearing out the inside of our little red Mazda as we have traded it against a new fully electric Citroën.  This afternoon have to arrange to get an outside charging port installed.

Probably will be a steep learning curve as I think I will suffer from 'Range Anxiety' 🤞

Positive thoughts to all.

• Like 27

I will have to research on how these days to celebrate such as nut bread are initiated! The morning walk is on hold as the latest tropical system is raining down on us and may just continue for a few days!

Thanks Rich and all are “Daily” reporters!

• Like 22

Good morning everyone!  I awoke to a fog out there, and it's slowly lifting but will remain cloudy for a while.  At 1:30 am I heard thunder and got up to look outside.  It was pouring cats and dogs!  After that I drifted in and out of sleep the rest of the night until 6:15 when I get up to exercise.  I should be ready for bed early tonight.

A eclectic set of days to celebrate I would say.  Literacy Day would be an excellent way to alert everyone to the fact that not every country has the opportunity to learn as we do.  Date nut bread sounds good and I wouldn't mind trying it.  And I think the ampersand can be helpful as a shortcut.  A thought provoking quote by Buddha.  Today's port of Sete, France is not your usual cruise ship port, and I haven't had the chance to stop there yet.  Hoping for more photos of it later on.

Prayers for those on the Care list and congratulations to those celebrating.  I feel your excitement building up @dfishDebbie!  By the way, thanks for the recipe and photo today.  Our menu suggestion doesn't look bad though I've never eaten it before.  Good luck failing your test today!😉

Yesterday I observed a home inspector at work across the street from me.  The lady who lived there sold her house in July to one of those real estate companies who make you an offer (usually lower than current market value) and if you accept you don't have to fix up, clean up or show your house as is normally done.  She haphazardly moved out over a span of about 10 days, then the for sale sign went up.  People came to look at it but no one really stayed around long so I figured it must need some work.  Finally over the weekend the house got an offer on it, and yesterday was inspection day.  Well, did you know inspectors are using drones now to inspect roofs and gutters?  It was very cool watching the way he maneuvered that thing all around the home taking photos I bet while inspecting it.  He even got it right up into little corners where gable eves met the siding to see if there were any problems in there.  Fascinating!  And so much safer, too!

• Like 29

10 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Just spent the morning clearing out the inside of our little red Mazda as we have traded it against a new fully electric Citroën.  This afternoon have to arrange to get an outside charging port installed.

I truly hope you will come to love your new electric Citroën as much as we love our 3 year old Tesla X. We were looking for a new car as it was killing my wife's back to put the grandkids in our car back seats. She saw the doors on the Tesla MX and stated - quite emphatically - "I want those Doors" - I tried to explain this Tesla car was entirely different than any other car and was all electric - and very different - she did not care - she wanted those doors. Now we love having an electric car (and the doors) - It is the only car we drive now. We have driven our (still very nice) older second car 82 miles last year. Keep it around as it is fully paid for and does not cost much to keep, and good to have back-up - you know - just in case. Just pulling up and reaching over to plugin the tesla at night is so much easier than going to the gas station - and the car is sitting there in the morning all charged and ready to go..and very quiet.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, JAM37 said:

Good morning. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

Literacy is so important, I agree it should be every day. Love date nut bread, honestly I love most bread. The ampersand is a great symbol...as a pianist it looks similar to the treble clef.

The quote is great advice.

Looking forward to the schnitzel recipe as well as more pictures of the port.

DH continues to improve, his voice is even getting back to normal.

I've been getting quite a bit of housework done the last couple of days, but think today will be a rest day as I woke up with back pains.

Prayers and praises for those on our lists.

Hoping everyone has a great day.

Julia, good to hear your DH is doing a little better each day!  Much better than feeling worse, eh?😁

But I'm sorry to hear about your back ache.  I sympathize.  I have a stiff back every day when I wake up.  It needs time to "warm up" before I can bend a bit.  When I get up and try to put on my socks and shoes for the treadmill I can't bend over very far and there's a lot of groaning involved.  But after a while I can bend my knee all the way to my chest with no problem.  We're not as young as we used to be, as the old saying goes!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich for the Daily. Love the whole day! Roy I think you missed putting yourself in our prayer rotation..

I should have taken Buddah's advice this morning.  Woke up way too early and had a hundred thoughts going through my mind. 

We had some large bucks grazing front yards last night. They didn't mind us driving by in our golf cart and watching them. They can clear out a flower bed in a New York minute! 

My dear friends daughter had to put off her double mastectomy today due to the overwhelming covid beds needed. It's now rescheduled for Monday. 

I like banana bread. Made it many times in our B & B days, but people loved my strawberry bread the most. Really like schnitzel!

@VMax1700 Congratulations on your new car! Debbie hope your test comes out negative. Prayers, Cheers and Blessings. 

21844.jpeg

Edited by Seasick Sailor
Add photo
  • Like 27

Good morning from central Texas.  The weather forecast is for mid to upper 90sF through the weekend.  Then, we are being teased with our highs dropping to the low 90s and upper 80s. but I'll believe it when I see it.

Literacy is very important and should be celebrated everyday.  The & gets its own day, YEAH!  Someone can have my date nut bread.

We should all strive to live by the quote.  

The meal looks good and I'll have to check it out.  However, I'll pass on the drink and the wine.

@JAM37  Julia, great that your DH continues to improve.

@VMax1700  Congratulations on the new car.

@dfish  Hope you get the negative result you want.  As careful as you have been, I'm sure you will.

We have been to Sete three times on BHBs.  In 2002, on the Noordam III, we took the transfer to Montpelier, so did not see much of Sete.  However, in 2016 on the Prinsendam and 2019 on the Veendam, we stayed in town.  It is a walkable town, but we also took the Ho-Ho the last time.  Stete is not only known for fishing, but it is a town with canals.

The lighthouse and the town from the port

DSC07000.thumb.JPG.d9c4c0dd27397aa1f6200d5f2c6c8025.JPG

DSC06996.thumb.JPG.81d0e47bf79a296d7912ca57c02e02d7.JPG

DSC07309.thumb.JPG.346e825488020b23a8455b440cc789be.JPG

Some of the canals

DSC07003.thumb.JPG.8c8c12cf19c38931f0d8a982e72053cd.JPG

DSC07006.thumb.JPG.7a21d50d16ad73a2550c107df7823834.JPG

DSC07010.thumb.JPG.716cd8a9554825558ef144fe023c1515.JPG

DSC07321.thumb.JPG.f76f1c143d038b0ccfdefa515a1ed874.JPGDSC07337.thumb.JPG.636d8f84dcb0c915a9038c77ecb2c6ab.JPG

Various streets and markets

DSC07320.thumb.JPG.b64a103e325fb3ec61e5c340d4f7355d.JPG

DSC07325.thumb.JPG.886db00d70ca66243d870c9ca4d1ddf4.JPG

DSC07019.thumb.JPG.b9712049e6c1a2cbd96793ebf6495683.JPG

DSC07018.thumb.JPG.129bbee9692e31454c33d83679b74368.JPG

DSC07017.thumb.JPG.7b5611676e8a227dac3ce3b7136740c6.JPG

DSC07327.thumb.JPG.36fc850f2690be3576e9e63e23c89f3d.JPG

DSC07332.thumb.JPG.16d02312897e8d96c876d1f863821782.JPG

The indoor market which is huge and has cheese, bakery, meat stalls too.

DSC07334.thumb.JPG.c04622d6abc6bd3e5ee02ff528324e27.JPG

DSC07335.thumb.JPG.8d4f80d7fe4b28e45efc2dd0eaf7dd4f.JPG

DSC07336.thumb.JPG.755b91a55f84ef21574d930972bbc80a.JPG

Lenda

DSC07016.JPG

• Like 32
  • Thanks 4

19 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

I will have to research on how these days to celebrate such as nut bread are initiated! The morning walk is on hold as the latest tropical system is raining down on us and may just continue for a few days!

Thanks Rich and all are “Daily” reporters!

for example:

Ampersands are celebrated today with National Ampersand Day. The day was created by Chaz DeSimone of AmperArt, who wanted to "acknowledge & applaud the ampersand." He chose September 8th as the holiday's date because he found that when using ampersands in various fonts he could spell out "September 8" using only ampersands.

So, pick something you wish to celebrate, pick a day, and tell everyone to celebrate it!

(But make sure it is not already celebrated on another day!)

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, RGEDad said:

I truly hope you will come to love your new electric Citroën as much as we love our 3 year old Tesla X. We were looking for a new car as it was killing my wife's back to put the grandkids in our car back seats. She saw the doors on the Tesla MX and stated - quite emphatically - "I want those Doors" - I tried to explain this Tesla car was entirely different than any other car and was all electric - and very different - she did not care - she wanted those doors. Now we love having an electric car (and the doors) - It is the only car we drive now. We have driven our (still very nice) older second car 82 miles last year. Keep it around as it is fully paid for and does not cost much to keep, and good to have back-up - you know - just in case. Just pulling up and reaching over to plugin the tesla at night is so much easier than going to the gas station - and the car is sitting there in the morning all charged and ready to go..and very quiet.

Welcome to the Daily.

Roy

• Like 10