$58.00 charge from Princess on AMEX?

GeorgesGal

Just checked my AMEX account and find a $58 charge from Princess thanking me for my stay Oct 15 to Oct 15, 2021, the date of my upcoming cruise on Empress.  Does anyone know what this might be for?  Is there a cost for the Medallions?  Or for using the Medallion app?  Other than these possibilities - of which I have never been made

aware - I don't know what this charge would be for.

Any help here? 

Thanks, 

Donna

4 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

Just checked my AMEX account and find a $58 charge from Princess thanking me for my stay Oct 15 to Oct 15, 2021, the date of my upcoming cruise on Empress.  Does anyone know what this might be for?  

Not sure what its for, but the charge for specialty dinners on Princess is $29 per person, so $58 for 2 people.  It could be something else but did you book a specialty restaurant(SR)?  Even if you have an OBC available, they still charge your credit card for a SR booking prior to boarding. You should be able to check on the APP to see if you have a SR booked.

• Like 1

There is no charge for medallions unless you order special holders or other  medallion related merchandise.  Did you order anything in addition to the free medallion and free lanyard?  You can go on medallion app and check your order. 

Did you pre-order specialty dining?  $58 is the price for a dinner for 2. 

the only charges I have ever seen in advance from Princess are things I have pre-ordered like water package, specialty dining or excursions. 

if you or your TA call Princess they can help you determine what the charge is for.  

Yes, I did book a specialty dinner for my sister and I, but it was supposed to be one of the perks for staying in a suite (first night).  If this is the case will it automatically be credited back to the CC I used once on board?

And thank you all for pointing this out.  I hadn't realized Princess would bill for something that is supposed to be gratis.

Donna

Edited by GeorgesGal

5 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

Yes, I did book a specialty dinner for my sister and I, but it was supposed to be one of the perks for staying in a suite (first night).  If this is the case will it automatically be credited back to the CC I used once on board?

And thank you all for pointing this out.  I hadn't realized Princess would bill for something that is supposed to be gratis.

Donna

I think the free dining they normally assign you. You don't book it on your own. You can change it when you board if you don't like what is assigned.

• Like 2

Donna, I had a specialty dinner comp'd as part of a promotion on our upcoming cruise in Nov, but when I made a reservation on the App, Princess charged the $58 to my CC.  I assumed they would just credit it back once on board the ship, but I won't know how it works specifically until we sail.

Go to your personalizer (web)

Suite Perk:  first night specialty dining ($0)

You "usually" need to book this once you get on the ship.  Call the DINE line or stop by the restaurant.  

Promotional Dinner:

Your account will show credit under "Onboard Services"

You should be able to book this on any day under Dine My Way.

You will be "charged" $58, but when you check out, you will see the credit and balance will be $0.

I would cancel the charged dinner (cancel 72 hours prior to cruise).  Then book it once you get on the ship.  Suite Passengers generally are able to pick the times they want.  On rare occasion, early dining times are not available.

990565640_Specialtydinner.thumb.png.9731644a3a74df07a5007c7e62671f65.png

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 5

I could only book my free first night suite dinner when we had been allocated a cabin. When it was a guarantee the discount did not show. The minute we had a cabin number on the app it could be booked with the deduction making it a zero purchase.

There is absolutely no reason to pre book the full suite first night dinner. Just go to the venue when you get on board and they will accommodate you. They know to expect the suite passengers will be coming and they will have tables available.  At least that has always been our experience

Cancel the specialty dinner,

Princess will credit your AMEX,

Princess will assign your dinner time,

And you will be notified of time,

Change it if you are not happy with the assigned time.

Problem solved.

• Like 3

This just happened to me. What I did was call Princess. They cancelled the reservations I had for the two restaurants that like you I thought were my complimentary ones but they charged me when I made the reservations and put the 2 complimentary ones back into my account which I can see them on cruise personalizer. Now I have to wait for my credits to my CC. Being in a suite you like me in club class will get first choice of days and times in the specialty restaurants

ENJIOY!

Note... that price will also hit your phone bill after the cruise. I watched my wife get all upset because her phone bill was $58 too high. Then she realized by using the app on the ship part of that time was added to her phone bill. Just don't be shocked post cruise. If you use the app while on the ship it will show up later on your phone bill. 

11 hours ago, fluffybunny22 said:

This is not a valid dispute because the OP booked a dinner that needed to be paid for.

Yes, filing a dispute should be a last resort. This was a misunderstanding that can be easily fixed.

8 hours ago, vivian02 said:

Note... that price will also hit your phone bill after the cruise. I watched my wife get all upset because her phone bill was $58 too high. Then she realized by using the app on the ship part of that time was added to her phone bill. Just don't be shocked post cruise. If you use the app while on the ship it will show up later on your phone bill. 

Apple pay?

9 hours ago, vivian02 said:

Sounds like your wife got off lucky.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vivian02 said:

This is completely untrue. There is no charge for using the app on board. To avoid additional charges you should set your phone to airplane mode while onboard.

• Like 3

It could be the wife made more phone calls than normal from the ports. That might justify the higher phone bill. She did settle down once she realized we had been on a nice cruise vacation and there are always extra cost when you travel. True of untrue will be interesting to see how many other people have higher bills by taking a cruise. As a Carnival stock holder I think the company is going in the right direction. Tim