I Can’t Take it Anymore…..

Duffysmom

5 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

It was pre-Covid.  I just showed up at the pier around 12:00 and if memory serves I was in my cabin by 12:25.

The Medallion device worked well for opening the cabin door and I carried it in a small leather pouch in my pocket that I use for sea pass cards.  When I ordered a drink, I pulled it out and the server scanned it.  After a couple of nights at the same bar, the server recognized me and just wrote down my cabin number.

Why waste hours trying to make a wonky app work when you can accomplish the same results by just showing up at the pier with paperwork?

Do you recall Einstein's quote about insanity?

you made me look it up 😂😂

image.thumb.jpeg.ba02bc6fae288a46f8fea3fcb6cf3f86.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Happy to have been of service.  It's why I don't waste time with technology that won't work. 

I love technology but too much of current technology is solutions looking for problems.

DON

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, late2cruisin said:

(Or they could have a version of the app that isn't so bloated with graphics and works with less RAM, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that...)

That is a serious bug and should have been fixed before the app was released.

I have an Android and had to dump and reinstall multiple times. Called customer service and FINALLY got someone to help. When you access after reinstalling,  enter through quick access with your booking number.  Once I did that, green lane!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I wouldn't buy anything to make a ridiculous abuse of technology work.  You do know that there are cruise lines out there that do not subject you to inadequate untested technology.  Cancel all of your booked Princess cruises and tell them what they can do with the medallion and w their ships.

DON

My husband and I are sailing on Virgin in a couple of weeks. They would be one of the cruise lines that DOES subject you to inadequate technology. Their app makes the medallion class app seem like the best thing ever, lol. It's pretty bad on my husband's iPhone but it's just atrocious on my Samsung. 

On 10/15/2021 at 12:48 PM, Duffysmom said:

Is it possible to sail without the medallion?

Yes. Definitely.  You might want to transfer the booking (if already made) to a travel advisor. Let him/her know you will not be using Medallion..They can advise you on current procedures, print out boarding passes, luggage tags, etc. for you and mail (or email) them to you.

6 hours ago, Gretchendz said:

Yes. Definitely.  You might want to transfer the booking (if already made) to a travel advisor. Let him/her know you will not be using Medallion..They can advise you on current procedures, print out boarding passes, luggage tags, etc. for you and mail (or email) them to you.

Nothing pre-cruise involves the Medallion.

However the phone app is named the Medallion App even though it's "interaction" with a Medallion is on board only.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, caribill said:

Nothing pre-cruise involves the Medallion.

However the phone app is named the Medallion App even though it's "interaction" with a Medallion is on board only.

MedallionClass App

Edited by billco

37 minutes ago, cruisintoddler said:

I read that Princess reinstated the website Personalizer. 

Is that not true?   If it is available, just use the website to register instead of the app.  
is there anything except dining that requires the app and is not on the website? 

Still working on it.  Have seen both late October and November availability dates.  

• Like 1

My experience trying to order a latte with the app… ‘loading’…restart app…loading…restart phone…start order…’lost connection’…swore at app, walked across piazza to get latte with reliable , pleasant human being. I have a 2020 iPhone and every other app works perfectly, including the Royal Caribbean one. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2021 at 8:44 AM, SargassoPirate said:

Why waste hours trying to make a wonky app work when you can accomplish the same results by just showing up at the pier with paperwork?

Do you recall Einstein's quote about insanity?

Sure.  But it doesn't really apply.

The medallion app is being constantly updated.

The back end systems and data are being updated.

Your phone is getting random updates.

You're generally not doing the same thing.

Each attempt to use the app is a new trial.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 8:35 AM, Daniel A said:

Does anyone know where to find the box to select the ability for friends and family to locate you?  I saw it once before and now I cannot seem to locate it so I can activate the ability to be seen.

Scroll down to the Journey View grouping, and click on 'Travel Companions'. That will bring up the 'Travel Party' screen - click on 'Add Guests' and enter their booking number (or they can add your booking to their Travel Party).

Edited by barrykel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/15/2021 at 12:40 PM, CineGraphic said:

Don't futz around with the app anymore. It's Princess' nightmare to deal with, not you.

Just show up at the dock with the required paperwork, and let them try to deny boarding.

So you're saying we should leave San Antonio, fly to London, transfer to Southampton and HOPE they can work it out on the dock?  Really???

15 minutes ago, bjkTX said:

So you're saying we should leave San Antonio, fly to London, transfer to Southampton and HOPE they can work it out on the dock?  Really???

In my case the app is only futzing with my credit card info, so yes, really.

Even a Princess rep told me to just show up. It's not like I'm missing anything essential.

On 10/15/2021 at 1:40 PM, CineGraphic said:

Don't futz around with the app anymore. It's Princess' nightmare to deal with, not you.

Just show up at the dock with the required paperwork, and let them try to deny boarding.

Good advice 👍 

Tony

• Thanks 1

We used it in 2019 on our cruise.  We had lots of problems beforehand, but got it worked out.  It wasn't user error on my end, it was a major glitch in the app, which was very new - this was one of the first few sailings they had with it.  Now, I have to say onboard it worked perfectly for us.  The BEST part was, I was able to find my husband, LOL  It seemed like once or twice a cruise we would get separated somewhere and I needed to find him.  I could track him and go get him! LOL

On 10/15/2021 at 2:14 PM, CineGraphic said:

They can't teach you how to use something that doesn't. It doesn't matter that it worked for you, it doesn't work for lots of us, and for the most part, it's not due to user error.

The app insists I need to enter my credit card info even though it's shown, and my wife has a green check-mark as an authorized user. I've tried on an iphone running the latest operating system, and on a new ipad.

Nothing works. I can't pre-book any specialty dining thanks to this snafu.....thankfully the ship will be mostly empty, so I should be able to eat just about anywhere I want to at any time, but what a huge freakin' waste of time  trying to get this poorly programmed app to work.

If you can get through to the medallion department they can help you with the credit card.

1 hour ago, wrongwaywatson said:

We used it in 2019 on our cruise.  We had lots of problems beforehand, but got it worked out.  It wasn't user error on my end, it was a major glitch in the app, which was very new - this was one of the first few sailings they had with it.  Now, I have to say onboard it worked perfectly for us.  The BEST part was, I was able to find my husband, LOL  It seemed like once or twice a cruise we would get separated somewhere and I needed to find him.  I could track him and go get him! LOL

They now have an option in the app to turn location finding by other passengers off and that is the default setting.

On 10/22/2021 at 9:00 AM, Roberto256 said:

Sure.  But it doesn't really apply.

The medallion app is being constantly updated.

The back end systems and data are being updated.

Your phone is getting random updates.

You're generally not doing the same thing.

Each attempt to use the app is a new trial.

But you are still expecting different results.