Formal Nights on Royal

This will be our 17th cruise, 14th on Royal. I always wore my tux on formal nights, last time in 2019.  Now we hear it is a "dress your best night".  If I wear mine on our May cruise will I look totally overdressed or should I just wear a regular suit?  

Thanks,

Fred

1 hour ago, Mickeymouse22 said:

This will be our 17th cruise, 14th on Royal. I always wore my tux on formal nights, last time in 2019.  Now we hear it is a "dress your best night".  If I wear mine on our May cruise will I look totally overdressed or should I just wear a regular suit?  

Thanks,

Fred

There's a wide range of dress.  Feel free to wear your tux.  You will not feel out of place.  

Take some nice pictures to remember the cruise.

• Like 3

We sailed on Anthem in January and my DH was proudly wearing his brand new tux on first formal night.    We had a 11 night cruise with 2 formal nights so by 2nd formal night he didn't wear the jacket but did wear the vest.      We did early diner in MDR and I am going to say probably 75% of people were dressed up.      Those that were not dressed up were at least wearing some decent clothes - such as dockers with a polo shirt.   

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mickeymouse22 said:

Thanks,

Fred

I highly recommend the tux!  🙂 You can never look too good.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mickeymouse22 said:

This will be our 17th cruise, 14th on Royal. I always wore my tux on formal nights, last time in 2019.  Now we hear it is a "dress your best night".  If I wear mine on our May cruise will I look totally overdressed or should I just wear a regular suit?  Thanks, Fred

Dress as you feel comfortable. You won't be out of place, no matter how you dress. 

Formal Nights are a thing of the past. Casual attire, even shorts, are acceptable on "formal nights". Our last pre-pandemic cruise on the Harmony, there were no tuxes in our part of the MDR, a few suits, a hand full of sport coats, and the rest were in resort casual attire (polo shirts and dockers). And a few in shorts. 

26 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Dress as you feel comfortable. You won't be out of place, no matter how you dress. 

Formal Nights are a thing of the past. Casual attire, even shorts, are acceptable on "formal nights". Our last pre-pandemic cruise on the Harmony, there were no tuxes in our part of the MDR, a few suits, a hand full of sport coats, and the rest were in resort casual attire (polo shirts and dockers). And a few in shorts. 

Lots of tuxes on Odyssey tonight. Very festive. 😉

Wish I was married to a dinner jacket/tux kind of guy.  If I had only known 40 years ago!  I can’t remember the last time I got all snazzied up ☹️, don’t even own snazzy clothes anymore☹️☹️.  He will wear a sports coat & tie for formal night, guess it will just have to do.  Too late to divorce him now.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, poocher said:

Too late to divorce him now.

Never too late

A couple in their 90's goes in front of a judge for a divorce.  Judges says you have been married for 70 years, why are you getting divorced now.  Their response, waiting for the kid to die

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Never too late

A couple in their 90's goes in front of a judge for a divorce.  Judges says you have been married for 70 years, why are you getting divorced now.  Their response, waiting for the kid to die

I always tell him he’s worth more dead than divorced and I make dinner!

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, poocher said:

Wish I was married to a dinner jacket/tux kind of guy.

Frequently had a need for a tux during my corporate career, but once we both retired other than cruises I only wear it once or twice a year. Even on cruises, there has to be some special occasion like our anniversary or NYE for me to even pack it. Now it is just sports coats and slacks.

3 hours ago, poocher said:

Wish I was married to a dinner jacket/tux kind of guy.  If I had only known 40 years ago!  I can’t remember the last time I got all snazzied up ☹️, don’t even own snazzy clothes anymore☹️☹️.  He will wear a sports coat & tie for formal night, guess it will just have to do.  Too late to divorce him now.

Hubby doesn't have to wear a tux for you to get snazzy. Maybe if you did he might follow. If he doesn't you'll still look great.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 1