Is flight arrival at 11:45 the day of sailing cutting it too close for Fort lauderdale?

Assuming everything goes smooth it should be ok right? I know most will say not to do it but there aren't many great options. If everything goes right it gives you 3 hours to get to port and its only an 8 min drive. Thoughts?

• Like 1

Will you most likely be fine? Sure. Are you willing to fly to your first port to board the ship if its not? Only you can answer that question. I did one same day flight for a cruise decades ago and I was stressed out the entire day. We always go the day before now. 

We've done same day arrival a few times when we had no other option....however we would do the red eye from the west coast arriving at FLL around 6-7am.

Do whatever your specific schedule allows and best of luck...chances are you'll be fine.

10 hours ago, blackjack24 said:

Assuming everything goes smooth it should be ok right? I know most will say not to do it but there aren't many great options. If everything goes right it gives you 3 hours to get to port and its only an 8 min drive. Thoughts?

Given all the variables come back and let us know how it went if you do use the same day flight.  Good luck.

10 hours ago, blackjack24 said:

Yes, if everything goes right, you will have no problems.  However, what will you do if something goes wrong?  Weather (obviously), mechanical (we had a flight on Delta delayed for 90 minutes once because of a mechanical issue, causing us to miss our connection, getting us to our destination about 3 hours late), or staffing (unlikely but if you're missing a pilot, first officer, or any of the flight attendants, that can delay the flight).

If that's your ONLY option, then it may be worth trying.  However, you say there aren't many GREAT options... are there "poor" options?  A red eye?  Connecting flight?  Earlier flight? 

• Like 1

I agree with most of the posters.   Almost missed a cruise about ten years ago when the plane could not land in Fort Lauderdale due to heavy fog.   Ended up flying back to Orlando, refueling, then back to FLL with no problems landing.   We were stressed.   Since then, always a day early.  

• Like 1

I always fly into Florida the day of the cruise with a direct flight from Toronto .

I have arrived later than noon on a couple of occasions at Fort Lauderdale.

The key is a direct flight , as i wont fly with connecting flights. 

I`d hazard a guess and say lots of the passengers on the flight are taking a cruise also. ( i see some on the ship and overhear the chit chat )

The Canadian carriers are pretty reliable. ( and i always buy insurance )

I haven`t missed a flight ... yet .  lol 🙂

You pay your money and take your chances. I`m comfortable with it , others not so much.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Will you most likely be fine? Sure. Are you willing to fly to your first port to board the ship if its not? Only you can answer that question. I did one same day flight for a cruise decades ago and I was stressed out the entire day. We always go the day before now. 

Boarding at a later port is no longer an option.  Perhaps it may return some time in the future, but not now.

4 minutes ago, loman said:

I always fly into Florida the day of the cruise with a direct flight from Toronto .

I have arrived later than noon on a couple of occasions at Fort Lauderdale.

The key is a direct flight , as i wont fly with connecting flights. 

I`d hazard a guess and say lots of the passengers on the flight are taking a cruise also. ( i see some on the ship and overhear the chit chat )

The Canadian carriers are pretty reliable. ( and i always buy insurance )

I haven`t missed a flight ... yet .  lol 🙂

You pay your money and take your chances. I`m comfortable with it , others not so much.

I hope you didn't just jinx yourself.  😄

• Thanks 1

C'mon now .. you know the answer.  😉 

Not worth risking it.    All it'll take is one single delay or glitch somewhere and you're hosed.   

Day before.  Always.

Edited by F27TW
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Merion_Mom said:

Boarding at a later port is no longer an option.  Perhaps it may return some time in the future, but not now.

I hope you didn't just jinx yourself.  😄

Na , i`m not superstitious 😀

Very risky.  You would be leaving no room for error.  Weather, mechanical difficulties, crew problems; airlines have been having difficulties.  Baggage can also be delayed (unless you are doing carryon only).  Don’t forget you can no longer fly to the next port and continue (covid). Also you have to be on board 90 minutes prior to sailing. 

• Like 4

I’m ok with flying to a cruise port the day of sailing under these conditions. 

1) the flight is less than 2 hours in the air. (Ie short flight)

2) the flight is a direct flight with no connections and the airline has many other options to move you to another flight if things go south. (Ie lots of flights from your departing airport to your destination)

3) you have travel insurance if everything goes wrong.

• Like 1

Cruise in 2/20.  Thank God we  flew out the day before.  Mechanical issues with the plane & all other flights for the day full.  We were delayed SIX HOURS!!  Comped $200 each in travel funds but the ship would long have sailed by the time we got to Florida.  You do you.  Not no but uh uh for us.

Edited by poocher
  • Like 2

We had Celebrity book our flights into FLL for our cruise this month. They booked us to arrive the day of our cruise on a flight with a connection from Canada. Their policy states that if they book your flights they guarantee your boarding. The flight home is at 11:45 am the day we return. Again, quite tight. 

Truthfully though, I have almost always flown in the day of my cruise. I have cruised from many different ports. I almost always have a connection, since I live in a small town in Canada. Has never been a problem, so far, and has saved me a lot of money on hotels 🙂. Of course, until this cruise, it was all before Covid...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, blackjack24 said:

I cruise mostly on same day and never had problem.   What airport are you flying from.  I fly from Newark Int'l which is one of the worst, if not the worst for on-time performances.   

PS.  I take the first AM flight that United offers to avoid any back-up issues.

Edited by nelblu

First few cruises we always flew in the day of the cruise, arriving by 1 PM.  Now after 50 cruise we always fly in early.  Really depends on weather and airline issues - we generally seem to arrive ok flying in to the cruise but lately have been having 4-5 hour delays going home.  Just deicing an airplane adds 45 minutes to an hour heading down there.