Blogging from the Ruby Princess

PescadoAmarillo

Take care of yourselves.  We, your avid readers and followers, will be here waiting for your return and the happy news you both are once again enjoying your cruise and have returned to being 100%.

Wishing you all the best.

• Like 1

I'm sending all good thoughts and love to you both on the Ruby! I was so excited to see that you were cruising again...I've been reading your blog for years and I enjoy reading about your adventures. It's extra exciting to read your blog in "real time" as it's happening, so I felt lucky to see this post and know that you were starting your adventures again.  Take care of yourself and we will be here when you are ready to come back! 

• Like 2

Sending good thoughts your way Yellow Fish, and hoping you're enjoying your cruise.  I too, am hoping that others on your sailing might jump in and keep us apprised of how the Ruby is doing, both service and covid-wise?  Us next-up are closely following....

• Like 3

4 hours ago, voljeep said:

hopefully someone onboard now will continue to update the Ruby happenings here on CC

And I will try to do that, and really hope that others (Joy) who are still on the ship in isolation will find this and post here, because she and her husband are in my thoughts. AND if y’all start bickering amongst yourselves on this thread, there will be no more posts from me.

I am not posting any of this on my blog. My nearly 91 year old mom is under the impression that we are enjoying a wonderful cruise to Hawaii and that I’m so busy having fun that I just haven’t taken the time to post any updates.  I’d like to keep it that way. 

I was ready to leave home for this cruise when I found out about the COVID issues last cruise on the Ruby Princess. My husband tested negative on the last day of the last cruise when he tested with other in transit guests. We decided that we would proceed as planned. His reasoning was that he had stayed safe for 45 days on the ship already. 

Along with everyone else, I waited, standing in line for hours before boarding the ship in Sunday. I put an N95 mask on that morning before I was picked up by my driver and didn’t remove it for nearly 12 hours until I entered our cabin. Most people in the line either weren’t masked, or weren’t wearing their masks correctly or weren’t wearing effective (N95 or KN95 masks). I was fairly confident in my mask to keep me safe.  

I spent 45 hours in close contact with my husband before he was tested on Tuesday. He tested positive less than 72 hours after his negative test. I won’t say anything more about his symptoms or lack of them…that’s his business. I will talk about how I’ve been affected. 

I was in the dining room for lunch at our little table for 2 in the corner on Tuesday, waiting for my chicken korma to be set in front of me when someone from medical appeared at my side and told me I needed to return to the cabin. I did not know at that point the results of my husband’s test. 

There are few things sadder than leaving chicken korma uneaten. 

Medical called when I returned to the cabin to tell me I had to be tested. I insisted on a PCR test. My husband asked to be re-tested with a PCR test. I tested negative. I was given a letter telling me that I had had close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID and would be re-tested every day for 5 subsequent days. While that was happening, I was free to leave my cabin but I had to always be fully masked. I was not allowed to eat anything outside my cabin. I could drink only if I sipped and covered. 

The letter also said I would receive information separately about room service, water and beverages, mealtimes, housekeeping services (such as laundry, garbage, cleaning and disinfection), internet, maintenance, drills and safety and disembarkation. Thinking I would get a letter or phone call about those things, I remained in the cabin, trying to spend as much time as possible on the balcony, but it was cold and grey. When I did come in the cabin, I left the door open to get some fresh air. 

My husband was accompanied to an isolation cabin (deck 12, a balcony cabin). A sanitized isolation cabin. I remained in our dirty cabin with the detritus of his illness, his pillows and bedding and used towels and trash until after 8pm. About 3:30pm I did go the buffet to get some food. I was pretty hungry. I was told there were no trays available for me so I brought back a salad in a bowl and some fish and rice. By the time I returned to the cabin and scrubbed up, the fish and rice were cold. This was the start of what would be a trend. 

I tried phoning room service to request something for dinner but gave up when the hold time was excessively long. 

Around 8pm I started thinking about going to sleep, but didn’t want to sleep on our dirty sheets. Our steward knocked on the door but I told him what was going on and that I wasn’t sure he was even allowed in the cabin. I had read (from Joy online) that her cabin has been disinfected and expected that would happen with my cabin.

I finally used crew chat to ask when I was going to get the further information about the promised details and was told there was no further information forthcoming but I was free to chat and ask any questions I’d like. 

Hold my beer. 

Within about 30 minutes a hazmat team arrived. I went on the balcony while they disinfected the cabin. I then went to sleep. Except for the brief trip to the buffet, I had not left the cabin since I was told to return there around noon. To think that anyone in my same situation is out roaming the ship and having a big old time is just wrong, and insults those of us going through this. It is hours upon worrying hours in the cabin, not fun and games. 

The next morning I went to the International Cafe about 6am and got a cappuccino and a breakfast sandwich. I also got a double mimosa to go (I have Princess Plus). I carried these back to the cabin and stayed there until about 4pm. 

Somehow (I’m trying to remember how), Loyd from room service came to the cabin. I *think* I used the medallion app to order another cappuccino and he delivered it. When I told him what was going on, he said that he would bring me menus from the dining room and not to wait on hold for room service. I could have hugged him. Instead I tipped him. 

He called for my lunch order, and it was delivered about an hour later. I’ve learned to accept that I’m not going to get a hot meal under this program. It’s just not possible. He also took my dinner order and that was delivered about 6:30pm or so. 

I spoke with our steward Joao through the door yesterday morning and told him the cabin had been sanitized and left it up to him whether or not to come in and service the cabin. (Again, I’ve received no promised information about this). He said it was ok to do so, and I told him there’d be a lot of dishes for the next several days. He also called my husband to check on him and tell him he was thinking of him. Joao is a saint. 

Finally, about 4pm yesterday, I had heard nothing from anyone (other than my husband. He has plenty to say) and went to the buffet for some chips and salsa. I took these onto the terrace deck, ordered a mango margarita and was served. I hadn’t even taken the first sip when the bartender’s phone rang. He looked at me and walked over to tell me medical wanted me to go to be tested. Finally, a specific instruction. 

By then I had already started to think about flying home from Honolulu if I tested negative. This is not going to end anytime soon. I doubt my husband will get out of isolation on Day 6. And even if he does, then he has to eat in the cabin for the remainder of ten days. I think the rest of his cruise is screwed up. He is not allowed to leave the ship right now. As long as I test negative, I am.

The senior doctor had me nearly convinced yesterday afternoon to stay on, but thinking about this further, I believe I’m getting off the ship tomorrow. I tested negative this morning  but fully expect to test positive at some point and be in isolation myself. If I don’t ever test positive, it will only be because I received my second booster shot a month ago, and the strongest endorsement ever for the effectiveness of the vaccine and boosters. There is no closer, more prolonged unprotected contact with COVID than what I’ve experienced. 

After being tested this morning, I stopped at the International Cafe for a cappuccino and breakfast sandwich to take to the cabin (it is fully allowable for me to do this). I saw the bar waiters looking at me, and a supervisor took me aside to say that they thought I was supposed to be in quarantine. When I explained that it was my husband in quarantine, they apologized for the mix up and got me my beverage. The senior doctor told me I should be going to shows, enjoying the ship, fully masked of course. That’s not the way this works. First, I’m fairly convinced I will test positive eventually and don’t want to inadvertently spread this to anyone else.  Second, it’s not a lot of fun to have Princess Plus and be elbow to elbow with people drinking and having fun and not be able to. And third, this is stressful. This is not fun. I’m not having anything close to a normal cruise but I’m not getting any reimbursement for the shortfalls. 

Using the intermittent internet, I booked two flights home tomorrow. One is on Southwest using points.  The other is first class on Delta. Both are fully refundable. The Southwest flight I think would be untenable at this point, overnight flights in coach. The Delta flight is still connecting and overnight, but gets me to my home airport during day light instead of the middle of the night. It has to be the easier, safer option. That flight is $1600. I will have to pay taxes of $873 for not visiting a distant foreign port. This is a $2500 decision, plus the fact that I will receive nothing back on my cruise, and can’t claim a medical reason for leaving the ship. If I am leaving the ship, I must present myself, my passport and a customs form at guest services at 6:30am tomorrow. I have until then to decide. I will be able to stay on the ship until later in the day (the Ruby Princess is in Honolulu until 11pm). 

This has been an expensive gamble. Of course, with hindsight I would have stayed home. It wouldn’t have changed my husband’s situation but it would have changed mine.

My only moment of fun happened this morning when I left the International Cafe carrying my coffee and breakfast sandwich. I joined three other people on the elevator going up. None of the others were masked. On Deck 6, three more people tried to enter. I stopped them and said that this unacceptable and I would get off. They said they’d wait. I then told the others in the elevator that my husband has tested positive for COVID and was in isolation. They all got off on deck 7 and I had the elevator to myself. 

😆

Meanwhile, I ordered lunch two hours ago. It’s 2:15pm and nothing has been delivered. I’m definitely leaning toward flying home tomorrow. 

Edited by PescadoAmarillo
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 15

Pescado Amarillo- thanks so much for updating us . definitely  thinking of you  & your husband as well as Joy and her husband. 

Hope You’ll be blogging at the moment just for yourself even if you don’t publish it ,that way you’ll have a timeline of what’s going on. Do hope your husband tests negative after the prescribed time in isolation/quarantine .

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 2

I'm so sorry you are enduring this....the stress has to be horrible.   

Just curious, can't you order food on the Medallion App?   I don't recall the food choices, but it might be faster that waiting on hold.

I did order cappucinos every morning and they were delivered within 5 min and they were piping hot.

Thanks for giving an in depth perspective, us future cruisers have some decisions to make.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

And I will try to do that, and really hope that others (Joy) who are still on the ship in isolation will find this and post here, because she and her husband are in my thoughts. AND if y’all start bickering amongst yourselves on this thread, there will be no more posts from me.

I am not posting any of this on my blog. My nearly 91 year old mom is under the impression that we are enjoying a wonderful cruise to Hawaii and that I’m so busy having fun that I just haven’t taken the time to post any updates.  I’d like to keep it that way. 

I was ready to leave home for this cruise when I found out about the COVID issues last cruise on the Ruby Princess. My husband tested negative on the last day of the last cruise when he tested with other in transit guests. We decided that we would proceed as planned. His reasoning was that he had stayed safe for 45 days on the ship already. 

Along with everyone else, I waited, standing in line for hours before boarding the ship in Sunday. I put an N95 mask on that morning before I was picked up by my driver and didn’t remove it for nearly 12 hours until I entered our cabin. Most people in the line either weren’t masked, or weren’t wearing their masks correctly or weren’t wearing effective (N95 or KN95 masks). I was fairly confident in my mask to keep me safe.  

I spent 45 hours in close contact with my husband before he was tested on Tuesday. He tested positive less than 72 hours after his negative test. I won’t say anything more about his symptoms or lack of them…that’s his business. I will talk about how I’ve been affected. 

I was in the dining room for lunch at our little table for 2 in the corner on Tuesday, waiting for my chicken korma to be set in front of me when someone from medical appeared at my side and told me I needed to return to the cabin. I did not know at that point the results of my husband’s test. 

There are few things sadder than leaving chicken korma uneaten. 

Medical called when I returned to the cabin to tell me I had to be tested. I insisted on a PCR test. My husband asked to be re-tested with a PCR test. I tested negative. I was given a letter telling me that I had had close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID and would be re-tested every day for 5 subsequent days. While that was happening, I was free to leave my cabin but I had to always be fully masked. I was not allowed to eat anything outside my cabin. I could drink only if I sipped and covered. 

The letter also said I would receive information separately about room service, water and beverages, mealtimes, housekeeping services (such as laundry, garbage, cleaning and disinfection), internet, maintenance, drills and safety and disembarkation. Thinking I would get a letter or phone call about those things, I remained in the cabin, trying to spend as much time as possible on the balcony, but it was cold and grey. When I did come in the cabin, I left the door open to get some fresh air. 

My husband was accompanied to an isolation cabin (deck 12, a balcony cabin). A sanitized isolation cabin. I remained in our dirty cabin with the detritus of his illness, his pillows and bedding and used towels and trash until after 8pm. About 3:30pm I did go the buffet to get some food. I was pretty hungry. I was told there were no trays available for me so I brought back a salad in a bowl and some fish and rice. By the time I returned to the cabin and scrubbed up, the fish and rice were cold. This was the start of what would be a trend. 

I tried phoning room service to request something for dinner but gave up when the hold time was excessively long. 

Around 8pm I started thinking about going to sleep, but didn’t want to sleep on our dirty sheets. Our steward knocked on the door but I told him what was going on and that I wasn’t sure he was even allowed in the cabin. I had read (from Joy online) that her cabin has been disinfected and expected that would happen with my cabin.

I finally used crew chat to ask when I was going to get the further information about the promised details and was told there was no further information forthcoming but I was free to chat and ask any questions I’d like. 

Hold my beer. 

Within about 30 minutes a hazmat team arrived. I went on the balcony while they disinfected the cabin. I then went to sleep. Except for the brief trip to the buffet, I had not left the cabin since I was told to return there around noon. To think that anyone in my same situation is out roaming the ship and having a big old time is just wrong, and insults those of us going through this. It is hours upon worrying hours in the cabin, not fun and games. 

The next morning I went to the International Cafe about 6am and got a cappuccino and a breakfast sandwich. I also got a double mimosa to go (I have Princess Plus). I carried these back to the cabin and stayed there until about 4pm. 

Somehow (I’m trying to remember how), Loyd from room service came to the cabin. I *think* I used the medallion app to order another cappuccino and he delivered it. When I told him what was going on, he said that he would bring me menus from the dining room and not to wait on hold for room service. I could have hugged him. Instead I tipped him. 

He called for my lunch order, and it was delivered about an hour later. I’ve learned to accept that I’m not going to get a hot meal under this program. It’s just not possible. He also took my dinner order and that was delivered about 6:30pm or so. 

I spoke with our steward Joao through the door yesterday morning and told him the cabin had been sanitized and left it up to him whether or not to come in and service the cabin. (Again, I’ve received no promised information about this). He said it was ok to do so, and I told him there’d be a lot of dishes for the next several days. He also called my husband to check on him and tell him he was thinking of him. Joao is a saint. 

Finally, about 4pm yesterday, I had heard nothing from anyone (other than my husband. He has plenty to say) and went to the buffet for some chips and salsa. I took these onto the terrace deck, ordered a mango margarita and was served. I hadn’t even taken the first sip when the bartender’s phone rang. He looked at me and walked over to tell me medical wanted me to go to be tested. Finally, a specific instruction. 

By then I had already started to think about flying home from Honolulu if I tested negative. This is not going to end anytime soon. I doubt my husband will get out of isolation on Day 6. And even if he does, then he has to eat in the cabin for the remainder of ten days. I think the rest of his cruise is screwed up. He is not allowed to leave the ship right now. As long as I test negative, I am.

The senior doctor had me nearly convinced yesterday afternoon to stay on, but thinking about this further, I believe I’m getting off the ship tomorrow. I tested negative this morning  but fully expect to test positive at some point and be in isolation myself. If I don’t ever test positive, it will only be because I received my second booster shot a month ago, and the strongest endorsement ever for the effectiveness of the vaccine and boosters. There is no closer, more prolonged unprotected contact with COVID than what I’ve experienced. 

After being tested this morning, I stopped at the International Cafe for a cappuccino and breakfast sandwich to take to the cabin (it is fully allowable for me to do this). I saw the bar waiters looking at me, and a supervisor took me aside to say that they thought I was supposed to be in quarantine. When I explained that it was my husband in quarantine, they apologized for the mix up and got me my beverage. The senior doctor told me I should be going to shows, enjoying the ship, fully masked of course. That’s not the way this works. First, I’m fairly convinced I will test positive eventually and don’t want to inadvertently spread this to anyone else.  Second, it’s not a lot of fun to have Princess Plus and be elbow to elbow with people drinking and having fun and not be able to. And third, this is stressful. This is not fun. I’m not having anything close to a normal cruise but I’m not getting any reimbursement for the shortfalls. 

Using the intermittent internet, I booked two flights home tomorrow. One is on Southwest using points.  The other is first class on Delta. Both are fully refundable. The Southwest flight I think would be untenable at this point, overnight flights in coach. The Delta flight is still connecting and overnight, but gets me to my home airport during day light instead of the middle of the night. It has to be the easier, safer option. That flight is $1600. I will have to pay taxes of $873 for not visiting a distant foreign port. This is a $2500 decision, plus the fact that I will receive nothing back on my cruise, and can’t claim a medical reason for leaving the ship. If I am leaving the ship, I must present myself, my passport and a customs form at guest services at 6:30am tomorrow. I have until then to decide. I will be able to stay on the ship until later in the day (the Ruby Princess is in Honolulu until 11pm). 

This has been an expensive gamble. Of course, with hindsight I would have stayed home. It wouldn’t have changed my husband’s situation but it would have changed mine.

My only moment of fun happened this morning when I left the International Cafe carrying my coffee and breakfast sandwich. I joined three other people on the elevator going up. None of the others were masked. On Deck 6, three more people tried to enter. I stopped them and said that this unacceptable and I would get off. They said they’d wait. I then told the others in the elevator that my husband has tested positive for COVID and was in isolation. They all got off on deck 7 and I had the elevator to myself. 

😆

Meanwhile, I ordered lunch two hours ago. It’s 2:15pm and nothing has been delivered. I’m definitely leaning toward flying home tomorrow. 

Thank you for sharing. This is useful information. Because you were negative, you should have been allowed to eat at the eateries and Mask where possible. Take care.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruzin4us said:

I'm so sorry you are enduring this....the stress has to be horrible.   

Just curious, can't you order food on the Medallion App?   I don't recall the food choices, but it might be faster that waiting on hold.

I did order cappucinos every morning and they were delivered within 5 min and they were piping hot.

Thanks for giving an in depth perspective, us future cruisers have some decisions to make.

I really don’t eat meat.  Rarely. The options on the app for hot food are hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken sandwiches, veggie burger (no thank you). Since it looks like lunch has passed me by (I had ordered fish tacos from the dining room menu) I just ordered the chicken soup and two cappuccinos using the app. I’ll see if they get delivered. 

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing your account with such clarity as a close contact person.  This is not what I would have envisioned as a COVID (-) on the ship.  I have some decision to make for a 25-day voyage.

Hope you stay healthy and get home safely!

• Like 3

Thank you so much for your update. It drives home the point of the risks in cruising right now. I say this as someone with a cruise scheduled in early May. Much food for thought. Hoping your husband is recuperating well and that you are able to make your way home safely.

• Like 3

Oh no - I can't believe this is happening to you and your husband.  I am sending prayers, good thoughts, and best wishes for the remainder of your time on the ship.  My husband and I are to board a transatlantic on April 16th and you are making me question whether this is really what we should be doing at this time. 

Please stay well and I hope your husband is not experiencing too many difficult covid symtoms.  I've been reading your blogs for years and will continue to enjoy travelling through your adventures.  Thank you for taking the time to blog your trips all these years.  

• Like 1

My jaw is on the floor, and I will not comment on the %#&# show. 😯

You are showing a great deal of strength under duress. Stay strong, stay focused, and most of all, stay safe.  Our prayers are with you both.

• Like 3

@PescadoAmarilloThank you so much for your update and for your honesty in what you have experienced. It certainly makes me think about the “what ifs” for our upcoming cruise next month and whether we really want to risk ending up in this same situation. I don’t know you but feel like I do know you through your postings on CC and your blog. Sending you a virtual hug and letting you know you are G are in my thoughts and prayers. Safe travels if you decide to fly home tomorrow.

• Like 3

A well written, informative post by OP.  I am so grateful you addressed the issue of disembarking early.  Thank you so much. 

please take care of you. Best wishes for a quick recovery to G.

• Like 1

I hope G is being well taken care of in isolation and isn't having the problems experienced by others with room service and getting reliable information.  Wishing him a swift recovery and sending my best wishes to you as well.  And I too hope that @Joy_K finds this thread and updates us on how she and her husband are doing.

• Like 1