Covid outbreak on the Ruby

Optotronics

1 minute ago, Optotronics said:

Do you mean, if we feel better enough to do so, in a couple days we can go outside the hotel and explore with masks?

They said my wife didnt test positive onboard, so I thought the 100/day was just for me.

if this was the case why didn’t they just let us fly home masked?

In our case, my wife tested negative and I tested positive during a b2b test.  Neither one of us had any symptoms.  The food allotment is for the both of you regardless of who tested positive.

I don't think they want you flying while possibly being contagious and spreading the virus. 

We were told that we were on the honor system, no one at the hotel watched any of us.  We had a group from the Emerald and also from a Holland America ship.  We could walk around outdoors with no restrictions from the start.  

3 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

Is this carefree travel assist though your insurance or princess, no body checking on us expect for out of state family

Carefree Assistance is contracted by Princess to help you.  We had the Princess Platinum insurance. 

46 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

Thanks,

I feel rotten, I think I’ll be fine in a few days. Like a really bad flu/ cold. I’m more concerned about the brain fog and the long term / permanent damage effects that can happen.

I just didn’t want to see them repeat the same mistakes they made with our cruise by dropping all the testing.

we were so successful in protecting ourselves from Covid over the last 2 years.

we also thought that if someone tested positive onboard, they would do contact tracing using the meddaian to find close contacts annd then test them.

So sorry, this sounds horrible.  I hope you do contact your doctor and get some advice.  At the very least Princess should be checking to see if you are even alive!  What if someone travels alone and can't get help because they are too sick?  Get better soon. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

Thats sweet of you.

Our DoorDash groceries just arrived and a wonderful couple we met onboard (best thing of the cruise) who also both got Covid and live local have also offered to bring food for us if needed.

I'm so glad to hear that...not that you all were infected but that you have someone looking out for you that lives nearby.  Cruising just creates such great relationships.  

• Like 2

Definitely call your doctor and the Assistance number someone upthread provided.  I am sorry you feel so bad after doing the right stuff.  However, now that you say your wife says she is not feeling so well she NEEDS to be tested!  If you quarantine for your five days but your wife is sick and untested it sounds like she probably caught Covid from you and should quarantine and NOT fly home too soon and infect other people.  Having Covid and wearing a mask while traveling does not totally protect other people.

I hope you both feel better soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Optotronics said:

Thanks,

I feel rotten, I think I’ll be fine in a few days. Like a really bad flu/ cold. I’m more concerned about the brain fog and the long term / permanent damage effects that can happen.

I just didn’t want to see them repeat the same mistakes they made with our cruise by dropping all the testing.

we were so successful in protecting ourselves from Covid over the last 2 years.

we also thought that if someone tested positive onboard, they would do contact tracing using the meddaian to find close contacts annd then test them.

Perhaps you do have a cold or flu along withCOVID? Those are certainly going around.

14 minutes ago, voljeep said:

What's to prevent any of y'all from just saying ... I'm checking out and going home, this is a joke staying here ...

We were advised that if we left before the 5 days, it would invalidate the insurance reimbursement.  And, we did not want to potentially infect anyone else.

Edited by LACruiser88
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Level six said:

So sorry, this sounds horrible.  I hope you do contact your doctor and get some advice.  At the very least Princess should be checking to see if you are even alive!  What if someone travels alone and can't get help because they are too sick?  Get better soon. 

That what I was thinking about the older fellow who rode with us to the hotel, he was alone but not notciably sick

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, donswife said:

Perhaps you do have a cold or flu along withCOVID? Those are certainly going around.

??? All the symptoms are Covid and I got a copy of my pcr test from princess.

I think you’re in denial that it’s happening again.

I have no doubt that if I were unvaccinated i would be I. The hospital now and fighting for life.

I can’t help thinking about those onboard now. I looked at ocean weather last night and they are going to have some pretty rough seas ahead.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Optotronics said:

We are 24hr into our 5 day hotel quarantine.

no contact from princess, the cdc or anyone.

last night was rough with many visits to the toilet to..,.

muscles ache like never before, head pounding and very congested; but no fever. I don’t want to even move, but breathing is good and coughing the Covid out. Yesterday I felt the worst was over, now I’m not so sure.

my wife, who they said tested negative (we never saw proof of her tests) is now not feeling well either. the quarantine support is non existent. The hotel staff is allowed to bring DoorDash up to our room and knock, but when my wife ordered a sandwich, fries and dessert for herself from the hotel restaurant it cost over $40 and she was required to go down to the restaurant to pick it up??

ladt night she used DoorDash to get herself and order of sesame chicken, rice and coke and that cost $45. 
to survive on the $100/ day they allow for expenses we will order some groceries by DoorDash with our allotment.

I need to call insurance today when my head stops pounding.

I feel sorry for those on board right now if they didn’t make everyone including staff to take a pcr test departure, it will be worse in Hawaii. 

Maybe some that live locally or even the hotel can give you some suggestions on restaurants that deliver themselves.  DoorDash adds on so many fees that it greatly ups the price of the order.  

Hope you feel better soon.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Maybe some that live locally or even the hotel can give you some suggestions on restaurants that deliver themselves.  DoorDash adds on so many fees that it greatly ups the price of the order.  

The Marriott, where we isolated, provided a list of local restaurants that delivered.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Optotronics said:

Do you mean, if we feel better enough to do so, in a couple days we can go outside the hotel and explore with masks?

They said my wife didnt test positive onboard, so I thought the 100/day was just for me.

if this was the case why didn’t they just let us fly home masked?

Walking working outside with a mask is far different then getting on an airplane……

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IJustWantToGo36 said:

Common sense and experience says just the opposite.

You protect yourself because that is the ONLY thing you control.

However, decent human beings will do what they can to protect themselves, and others. This helps everyone, including those who won't make any effort. 

Unfortunately, decent human beings aren't in as ample supply as some of us would like. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

That is a great suggestion. This is one reason why CC is so valuable.

@Optotronics I sympathize with your situation and feeling so sick. 

However, as in many situations, you have to be your own advocate.

@LACruiser88has given you some good information in providing that letter from Princess. You may also be in possession of a similar letter. Your food allowance per day is $200 total according to the letter,which could give you and your wife some relief. There is also a phone number at the bottom of the letter for Princess Customer Service. I would be calling that number with any questions regarding your situation.

Also, call the front desk for a list of food delivery / restaurants for your meals.

Some posters have encouraged you to call your family physician and give the details of your symptoms. The doctor may be able to order medication that would lessen lingering side effects from Covid. Your home doctor may also request that you go to an Urgent Care facility to get medical assistance. This may also apply to your wife who now seems to be experiencing symptoms. The front desk should also be able to direct you to such a facility as the hotel is accepting Covid guests.

You probably are not feeling up to making many phone calls or have the stamina to deal with red tape issues, but the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Speak up about your concerns and requests.

Of course, I am not aware of your normal physical health or your age, but ,if you feel capable,you must take charge of your situation and put things in place that will help you recover quickly and be able to return home.

Wishing you the best of luck in dealing with such a difficult situation.

MJ

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

??? All the symptoms are Covid and I got a copy of my pcr test from princess.

I think you’re in denial that it’s happening again.

I have no doubt that if I were unvaccinated i would be I. The hospital now and fighting for life.

I can’t help thinking about those onboard now. I looked at ocean weather last night and they are going to have some pretty rough seas ahead.

I have worked in direct patient care in a nursing home throughout COVID-19....I know how real it is. And I know that you can get it no matter how careful you  are, and you can get other infections with it (that used to go around nursing homes and cruise ships, among other places and are now making a comeback).

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Optotronics said:

We are 24hr into our 5 day hotel quarantine.

no contact from princess, the cdc or anyone.

last night was rough with many visits to the toilet to..,.

muscles ache like never before, head pounding and very congested; but no fever. I don’t want to even move, but breathing is good and coughing the Covid out. Yesterday I felt the worst was over, now I’m not so sure.

So sorry to hear this! I've never sailed with Princess but came here having read on the news about the outbreak. I have an upcoming cruise with a line that does a daily PCR test. If positive, they generally get you off the ship and quarantine at a hotel, etc.and then it appears that the passenger is on his/her own to arrange transportation home. Not sure yet if I want to cancel or not. 

Surely wishing you the best and hope things get better soon. 

On 3/26/2022 at 3:13 PM, cruisingguy007 said:

They are definitely the way to go if you believe heavy testing will reduce your odds as much as possible. They test daily.

Yeah but for the most part they also get you off the ship if you test positive. It appears to be a bit of a crapshoot as to staying on board or not. I have a Viking cruise in May and am not sure yet if I'm keeping it. Daily PCR is a bit of a mixed bag. Many Viking pax are hoping they get rid of it, including myself. 

• Like 1

My wife never tested positive supposedly, so it might have been a cold or allergies for her. She going to the rooftop garden to get fresh air (wearing n95) and take some pictures.
I’m not going anywhere outside this room… about the time I do the cdc will show up;)

as for princess customer care, I’ll call them when we get home and see about them paying for the hotel and food.

then use our travel insurance to cover the airline flight back home and extra parking.

I think if they really cared about their “customer care” they wouldn’t have dropped all the testing and mask enforcement and wouldn’t have sent people shivering from Covid out to wait at the curb for an hour for transport to the hotel… or even made a priority to get those stuck in their quarantine cabins food and drink in a timely manner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1