The Daily for Thursday 05/19/2022

richwmn

Today is Boy’s Club Day, World Plant a Vegetable Garden Day, and Global Accessibility Awareness Day

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.--Mark Twain

Meal Suggestion for today - Linguine With Fried Eggs And Garlic
Drink of the Day - Mai Tequila
Wine of the Day - Bieler Family 2018 Born To Run Cabernet Sauvignon
Destination of the Day - Le Havre (Paris), France

Ships With Passengers

At Sea

Oosterdam   Destination Trieste, Italy eta 05/20
Zaandam   Destination Quebec City, Canada eta 05/20
Zuiderdam   Destination Tracy Arm & Juneau, Alaska eta 05/20

Juneau, Alaska

Nieuw Amsterdam   08:00 - 18:00

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska

Eurodam   07:00 - 13:00
Koningsdam   10:00 - 18:00

Kiel, Germany

Rotterdam   07:00 - 17:00

Kotor, Montenegro

Nieuw Statendam   08:00 - 16:00

Skagway, Alaska

Noordam   07:00 - 21:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

Long Beach, CA US

Westerdam   Anchorage

0519World.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 13

Good afternoon.

60°F and cloudy now.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Good days.

Accessibility is very important especially for anyone in a wheelchair.

I used to be in a boys club when I was a teenager and played football and running.

Nice food and drink today.

We have just been to Le Havre last week but only got a taxi to the docks shopping centre.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who need them.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Graham.

IMG_20220514_135344.jpg

IMG_20220514_104855.jpg

IMG_20220514_104748.jpg

IMG_20220514_104722.jpg

• Like 35

Good morning all.  Thanks for the daily report and lists.  Cheers to boys (and girls) clubs today.  We received two pepper plants yesterday that we will plant today.  Accessibility is so important for many so it’s critical that we’re aware.  I like Twain’s quote today, so like him.  The meal and drink suggestions sound interesting and I’ll bet very tasty.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and those in need.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events, the college graduates will soon be spilling onto the streets here by the thousands!

• Like 25

Good morning.  Happy Thursday!  Thanks for the Daily Report.

We've got a bit of rain and fog this morning. 

I may work in my vegetable garden today, I will probably do a lot this weekend.  A salute to Boys' Clubs.  Accessibility is important to everyone.

Love the quote.

Not sure about the meal, I'll wait until I see the recipe.

Hope the drink and wine are tasty.

We've never been to today's port, thanks in advance for the pictures.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 24

Good morning from Italy.

We were indeed fortunate to have perfect weather last week from Venice to Civitvechia. Hope your day goes well wherever you are. 

pics are from Kotor, Montenegro,  where Nieuw Statendam is today. The Wind Surf was able to dock there, while Brillance of the Seas tendered.

The Surf's captain rarely uses the horn, but did as we passed the church on the rock, which is customary as the church rings its bells.

20220513_115648.jpg

20220513_120007.jpg

20220513_064100.jpg

20220513_133733.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 6

Thank you Rich for the Daily for my last full day at home this month.  Three great days today, especially Vegetable gardens.  I love the Mark Twain quote.  Looks like I've been to LeHavre just once and it was on the Elegant Explorer.  The meal sounds nice.  My alternative is Papaya with Rainbow of Fruit, Turf from Surf and Turf, and Tiramisu as served on MS Veendam May 19, 2016.

Hope the lists are reasonably accurate as I'm in final preparation mode.

Today’s care list:

oceansaway17
smitty34877 DB with cancer and now with Covid
Marshhawk DH mouth pain
Heartgrove older sister in hospice nearing the end
From the rotation:
Ukraine
St, Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks
1Angelcat facing expensive medicines
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam housing refugees
All but 1 BHB with guests
Hawaii getaway forRowsby
Great River Cruise for NextOne
Surgery set for dfish 1 June
Lady Hudson SIL out of hospital
7 days for StLouisCruisers and kb4869 (Island Princess 5/26 to 6/29)
2 days for rafinmd (Adventure OTS 5/21 to 5/28)
2 days Atexsix( Discovery Princess May 22-29)
2 days kochleffel( NCL Jade May 22-29)
Sea Viewer (Allure OTS to 5/22) and Lady Hudson (Oasis OTS  to 5/22)  at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 11

Nice set of days today...my dad always had an amazing vegetable garden that produced volumes of tomatoes and cucumbers.  Also grew his own lettuce, beans, eggplant and peppers.  We always had an abundance of fresh produce in the summer.

I like the Twain quote - a reminder that the education we receive outside the classrooms can be just as (and sometimes more) valuable as that which we receive inside a classroom.

Never heard of linguine with fried egg - will be interested in the recipe.  Would try both the drink and the wine.  Have never been to France, so will enjoy it through the lens of others that have been.

They say life is a rollercoaster, right?  High peaks, deep lows, and it can change just that fast.  My daughter was on the top hill for a bit and yesterday came down hard - her husband tested positive for Covid.  He's got most of the main symptoms - fever, headache and very tired.  My daughter took a test as well and came up negative, but will test at least the next two mornings to make sure.  So far, baby Lana seems just fine - no fever, no apparent issues. 

We talked a lot yesterday - they got her husband isolated in a spare bedroom, and she takes food up to him and leaves it outside the door.  He has his computer and phone, so they can face-time.  He did sleep a lot, so hoping that helps him fight this off.  Fully vaxxed and boosted as he is immunocompromised.  We're going to hope for the best here.

Daughter has tested negative for the second time this morning, so fingers crossed that is a good sign.  She'll test again tomorrow too.

Yesterday during the day she said it felt like a normal workday with him at the office and her home, but the nighttime was tough.  We skyped late, and then were on the phone again together around 3:30am.  It will be a long couple of days until we know he is through this.

Rainy, dreary morning here - kind of matches my mood so far.  Hoping it's dry at lunch so I can get a walk in.

Wishing everyone a good day today...

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you Rich for the Daily for my last full day at home this month.  Three great days today, especially Vegetable gardens.  I love the Mark Twain quote.  Looks like I've been to LeHavre just once and it was on the Elegant Explorer.  The meal sounds nice.  My alternative is Papaya with Rainbow of Fruit, Turf from Surf and Turf, and Tiramisu as served on MS Veendam May 19, 2016.

Today’s care list:

oceansaway17
Marshhawk DH mouth pain
From the rotation:
Ukraine

Hawaii getaway forRowsby
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy, my DB is now negative for Covid and can be taken off the list.Thank you so much.

Also, Bon Voyage!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

My daughter has started a small vegetable garden with a few different types of peppers. A salute to all boys clubs. I learned a lot about accessibility when my brother became a paraplegic due to a car accident.

I love the quote, especially with the state of our school system in this country. The meal sounds interesting.

DH ran out of steam yesterday so he will leave tonight. Today will be rehanging the rest of the blinds and doors, packing the car and hopefully he will nap before he heads out.

It is 70 and sunny here with a high of 87. Maybe we'll get a late afternoon/early evening walk on the beach before I try to get DH to take a nap.

@msmayor sorry to hear DSIL has Covid. Prayers for DD, Lana that they don't get it and for strength and rest for you as well as DD.

@ger_77 sending prayers and condolences for the loss of your Uncle.

@Cruzin Terri hoping you woke up with no pain today.

@kazu woohoo on getting the tank changed. I hope yesterday wasn't too awful and pray today is a better day. 

@rafinmd will you be posting the lists while away? I'd be happy to help out.

Remember you are loved and have a great day.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Good morning from Italy.

We were indeed fortunate to have perfect weather last week from Venice to Civitvechia. Hope your day goes well wherever you are. 

pics are from Kotor, Montenegro,  where Nieuw Statendam is today. The Wind Surf was able to dock there, while Brillance of the Seas tendered.

The Surf's captain rarely uses the horn, but did as we passed the church on the rock, which is customary as the church rings its bells.

20220513_115648.jpg

20220513_120007.jpg

20220513_064100.jpg

20220513_133733.jpg

Wonderful photos.

I'm pleased you are having a fantastic cruise.

Graham.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Today’s care list:

oceansaway17
Marshhawk DH mouth pain
From the rotation:
Ukraine

Hawaii getaway forRowsby

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

I hope you have an amazing and relaxing cruise on the Adventure of the seas.

Best wishes.

Graham.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Thursday Daily, Rich

Not sure why it’s Boys Club Day when the day is to celebrate Boys and Girls clubs.  never belonged by I was on the board for several years helping this worthwhile group.  I will definitely be celebrating plant a vegetable garden day -  planting vegetables today - chilies (who for, I have no idea now), tomatoes and lettuce.  I’ll figure out the rest later. Accessibility is SO important EVERY day to so many.

181D3BB4-67DB-4E64-9A6D-D3565E71245E.jpeg.940c13c89ea6eb792de23fe12c22c94b.jpeg

Love the Mark Twain quote.  Been to LeHavre several times and returning next year.  Still deciding what to do this time.  One of our most memorable times was Juno Beach and Bayeux ( and yes we were all wearing poppies)

C544884E-34A0-4672-AEC9-1E6E31EA9F59.jpeg.4db8349684b8bc0a2b53a98297b9d296.jpeg

@msmayorso sorry to hear that your daughter’s DH has come down with covid.  Sounds like they are taking very good precautions.  Hoping his symptoms are mild and your daughter and Lana remain safe 🙏🏻 

10 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Roy, my DB is now negative for Covid and can be taken off the list.Thank you so much.

That is really good news 🙂 

I feel old today - probably because of the stuff I had to do yesterday 😉 But now that the frost risk is gone, the babies are going in.  Going to try to get the bulk of it done today, if I can.  That way I can figure out the gaps and what I need to do 😉 

CD0621A6-05D2-4F79-89AE-2F1B285EC4FB.jpeg.d160f5ea4829059caaa4f5c03b7223d0.jpeg

Roy @rafinmd - your last full day at home?  Do you sail tomorrow or the next day?  Hope you have a wonderful time!  And glad to see you are not suffering from Tripophobia:

64F2768F-9576-469D-B657-CB86597E1A5F.thumb.jpeg.3dabf8fcf78e18386e1f1da6dc0371df.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Thursday, everyone.

27731645-E438-4331-8981-6FAEAC0131D3.jpeg.b650a0ac961ae0b303fc9ba7416cf0ec.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Bindi chose a fairly long walk this glorious morning. And not only did we see fawns & doe, the two bucks that swaggered through our yard last evening, were peeking out from the side of my neighbor’s house. Their rack has just really started growing. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Morning Dailyites. I finally made it into my pool last evening. I am proud of myself. The temp was ONLY 83.6!  @summer slopeDixie will understand me here!  And for the first time since Iceland - I did not have to pull myself up the last step with two hands! Progress. 

Here is another excellent reason to adopt from your local shelter…

49DA3A74-76A3-4544-A468-E91956FA19BC.jpeg.5f40a96f051a2e7c87d3a0d47b044429.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Bieler Family 2018 Born To Run

Anyone know what creosote smells like? This wine has excellent reviewer and consumer ratings, and a very reasonable price. Numerous online & local distributors with prices starting at $11.99.

Winemaker Notes

A rich, soft California Cabernet Sauvignon blended with dark, brooding, and structured Cabernet Sauvignon from Washington State. A gorgeous blend that’s all its own and more complex than its parts.

This Cabernet Sauvignon is 100% American: 50% from the Columbia Valley in Washington State, 50% from California. The Washington State vineyards are located on the edge of Red Mountain in Columbia Valley – this sund-renched climate provides both the structure and finesse of the Old World, with the succulent ripe flavors of the New World. The Washington State fruit was fermented whole berry, and natively, with the wine was on the skins for 35 days – this allowed the wine to develop impressive density and a chewy structure. California vineyards are older vines on the west side of Lodi on the edge of the Delta, which allows for grapes with ripe fruit flavors, natural acidity and complexity. The California component, which was aged in some oak after a traditional fermentation, is quite soft and luscious.

WE90 Wine Enthusiast

A ripe plum aroma is joined by the slightest hint of creosote on the nose. The palate echoes the nose, adding blueberry and cassis notes joined by dried tobacco and allspice. There is a firm grip of tannins that holds on tight but is eventually taken over by a wash of mouthwatering acidity on the plummy finish.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 9

Mai Tequila:

Ingredients
2 parts Sauza® 901® Tequila
1 part DeKuyper® Créme De Almond Liqueur
3/4 part Lime Juice
Dash Angostura® Orange Bitters
Garnish with
Mint Sprig

Instructions
Combine all ingredients. Shake well. Strain and serve over ice in a highball glass. Garnish with mint sprig.

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 8.05.16 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, msmayor said:

Nice set of days today...my dad always had an amazing vegetable garden that produced volumes of tomatoes and cucumbers.  Also grew his own lettuce, beans, eggplant and peppers.  We always had an abundance of fresh produce in the summer.

I like the Twain quote - a reminder that the education we receive outside the classrooms can be just as (and sometimes more) valuable as that which we receive inside a classroom.

Never heard of linguine with fried egg - will be interested in the recipe.  Would try both the drink and the wine.  Have never been to France, so will enjoy it through the lens of others that have been.

They say life is a rollercoaster, right?  High peaks, deep lows, and it can change just that fast.  My daughter was on the top hill for a bit and yesterday came down hard - her husband tested positive for Covid.  He's got most of the main symptoms - fever, headache and very tired.  My daughter took a test as well and came up negative, but will test at least the next two mornings to make sure.  So far, baby Lana seems just fine - no fever, no apparent issues. 

We talked a lot yesterday - they got her husband isolated in a spare bedroom, and she takes food up to him and leaves it outside the door.  He has his computer and phone, so they can face-time.  He did sleep a lot, so hoping that helps him fight this off.  Fully vaxxed and boosted as he is immunocompromised.  We're going to hope for the best here.

Daughter has tested negative for the second time this morning, so fingers crossed that is a good sign.  She'll test again tomorrow too.

Yesterday during the day she said it felt like a normal workday with him at the office and her home, but the nighttime was tough.  We skyped late, and then were on the phone again together around 3:30am.  It will be a long couple of days until we know he is through this.

Rainy, dreary morning here - kind of matches my mood so far.  Hoping it's dry at lunch so I can get a walk in.

Wishing everyone a good day today...

Have your daughter or SIL call his Doctor and get a prescription for the antiviral. My nephew felt so much better shortly after starting it. I wish I had written down the name. Something like Paxlovid. 

• Like 21

Good morning, everyone.

Great things to celebrate today.  We will be warming up throughout the day and the cloud cover is supposed to go away later this morning.  I've got nothing on the calendar today except walking a bit.  I'm trying different things to see what helps my spinal stenosis and allows me to walk a little further and a little longer without the pain that settles in my upper thigh.  The nerve ablation worked on the left side, but not on the right side.  I will be taking my walking sticks to Norway with me.  

@msmayor Your poor daughter!   It is just one thing after another.  Hopefully, your DSIL will only be down for a few days.  Prayers your daughter and Lana stay negative.  My friend, a public health doc, says most of us will get covid eventually.  Hopefully it will be the milder cases we're seeing with those who are fully vaccinated and boosted.  

Today's meal looks good to me, but has way too many carbs.  For some reason, substituting zoodles just doesn't cut it here.   This recipe is a quick version for a busy night.   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/linguine-with-fried-eggs-and-garlic/

1647658730_linguiniwithfriedeggsandgarlic1.jpg.bd9b6a76b3a4908e910abd8609748820.jpg

This next one doesn't use linguini, but you easily could.  You can use whatever type of pasta you prefer.  The pasta is the vehicle for transporting the sauce.   This recipe adds in some feta cheese.  https://thesmashedpotato.com/pasta-with-fried-egg-recipe/

1807516268_linguiniwithfriedeggsandgarlic3.thumb.png.bed8657c621e8a95b1568b6cb9d0270a.png

This one is jazzed up with lemon and parsley at the end.  Be sure to use plenty of garlic.  Toasted bread crumbs are also featured.  https://seasonedtotaste.wordpress.com/2011/03/02/garlic-lemon-spaghetti-with-fried-egg/

799425446_linguiniwithfriedeggsandgarlic4.thumb.jpg.2884f462af8a6d3ed5618322a18b8535.jpg

Finally, why not go all out and add bacon to your eggs?   Don't leave out the garlic!   https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/spaghetti_with_tomatoes_bacon_and_eggs/

1359352693_linguiniwithfriedeggsandgarlic6.thumb.jpg.89d6467152a85e57f9f3ba9edbadbd88.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine, the people of Buffalo, New York, and our Daily family members who are facing challenges.   Cheers to those who are celebrating.  Wishing everyone a top notch Thursday.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 10

Good morning everyone.It is raining on and off here and the living room smells of wet dog.I salute the Boys (and Girls) clubs and those that can grow edible things in their gardens. We will pass on the recipe for today.Dinner plans are for takeout and I am so glad about that.

@msmayor, I hope your DSIL can get the antiviral meds. It seems to make a huge difference. I am so sorry that your daughter has even more to cope with now.

We went to Monet’s Garden at Giverny from LeHarve. It was an incredible place and it was quite crowded on a hot autumn day.

6D6B8028-2529-44F5-9D74-93E5F495EF83.jpeg

D7322094-AE59-4048-9A74-9CED3E622A92.jpeg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Good morning everyone. I realize I never got here yesterday. T he day started with me taking pictures of my neighbors garbage pails. Since they never pick up both of our pails, Sam was sitting in the garage waiting for them. The office told me to put a sign on one saying trash so instead of emptying it they threw it in the truck as garbage. Thankfully Sam was there and got it back. 
Today the local high school chorus  is supposed to come here but it is being canceled because covid rates are rising in the state and in our town. My 16 year old grandson is back to remote learning.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, kazu said:

Not sure why it’s Boys Club Day when the day is to celebrate Boys and Girls clubs.  never belonged by I was on the board for several years helping this worthwhile group.

Both lists that I use title it as Boys Club Day.

Boy's Club Day celebrates the Boys & Girls Clubs of America on the anniversary of the founding of the Federated Boys' Clubs, a forerunner to the organization. The first "Boys Club" focused on character development and was started in 1860 by three women in Hartford, Connecticut. On May 19, 1906, several Boys Clubs decided to join together to form the Federated Boys' Clubs. It became Boys Clubs of America in 1931, and in 1990 it became Boys & Girls Clubs of America, recognizing the fact that girls were also a part of the organization.

https://www.checkiday.com/d74840b6771061776528ee943b1b89ac/boys-club-day

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 9

Good morning friends!  Exercise done, prayers said, breakfast eaten.  Time to check out the Daily!  Thank you Rich for presenting it each morning.  It's good to know where the fleet is, and of course we need our topics to discuss.  I salute the Boys (and Girls) Club.  Accessibility awareness is so important.  I love a vegetable garden though they are a lot of work.  But the rewards are great.  The largest vegetable garden we ever had was when we lived in Northern California for a while.  We had a huge backyard and put a sprinkler system in the garden because we got no rain at all in the summer months.  We grew everything from corn to watermelons and pumpkins.  The quote is great as per usual with Twain.  The linguine looks good but I can't do the egg with it.  Thanks for the recipes and photos Debbie @dfish.

Thanks to Roy for keeping the lists.  I'm happy to see the Care list looks shorter but I see we have someone else to pray for and that is @msmayor Connie's DSIL who has Covid.  I hope he has a very short and easy time with it, and if he gets the medication from his doctor let us know how that helps out.  Hoping your DD and Lana don't come down with it.  They've had enough issues to deal with in that family!  Thank you @kazuJacqui for the great memes today.  I hope your garden work today will produce a bumper crop of chilies, tomatoes and lettuce for you.  By the way Roy @rafinmdKay @kb4683may not recognize herself this morning listed as kb4869 🙃 but thanks for posting us as we prepare for our cruise.  Hope you enjoy your upcoming cruise, as well as all the others listed.

LeHavre, France has never been listed here before so it looks like a search for photos is coming up.  When we were there we took a tour of Paris which of course took all day so not a lot of LeHavre was seen by me.  Back later with a few photos.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1