Dress Code on European Voyage

ggo85

As I walk non-stop out of whatever airport I have just arrived at, and look at all the folk standing listlessly around the baggage carousels, I know who isn't crazy.

As I can move about my day comfortably in trousers with enough pockets to carry my immediate needs, I look at women teetering around in frocks and heels and clutching bags and I know who isn't crazy.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jollyjones said:

As I walk non-stop out of whatever airport I have just arrived at, and look at all the folk standing listlessly around the baggage carousels, I know who isn't crazy.

As I can move about my day comfortably in trousers with enough pockets to carry my immediate needs, I look at women teetering around in frocks and heels and clutching bags and I know who isn't crazy.

I love the idea of having no hold baggage but I hate carrying much hand luggage, increasingly I am packing pretty much everything keeping only one small cabin bag for wallet, passport, kindle, tablet and tissues.   Its a dilemma.   I certainly dont teeter around in frocks and heels but then I dont wear frocks and heels on ships either, preferring slacks and flat pumps although I suppose I might succumb to a frock or two when I sail on a classic ship in 2024, most of my trips to date have been expeditions.  

• Like 2

Good morning,  we all just need to do what is best for ourselves.  I have always brought 1 checked bag and 1 carry on and I don't own any dresses either🙂 

Calling people crazy because of how they pack? That is not really kind or necessary.  Can't we just agree that we are all different and what is best for one person may not be what is good for someone else? 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning,  we all just need to do what is best for ourselves.  I have always brought 1 checked bag and 1 carry on and I don't own any dresses either🙂 

Calling people crazy because of how they pack? That is not really kind or necessary.  Can't we just agree that we are all different and what is best for one person may not be what is good for someone else? 

Well said Lois. Just because people choose to pack differently and dress differently there is no reason for "jolly" to be rude about other people's choices.

From choice I would certainly travel without checked luggage, and I am not a fanatical dresser, but for a cruise of even a week it would just not be possible to get everything I would need into hand baggage, sadly.  I think we all appreciate how good would feel to march past the carousel, but most people, men and women, would find it impossible.   If 'jolly' can cope, then fine, but yes, do not criticize others please.

I nearly always travel carry-on only; it's sort of a religion in my family. But for my recent cruise of 14 days, I let myself overstuff my expandable carry-on bag and check it. My excuse was a "frozen shoulder" that would have made it tough to lift the bag overhead, but I confess that I also wanted more than a basic black wardrobe for swanning through the Med 🙂 Predictably, the airline lost the bag in Germany. It was so annoying to have to spend 90 minutes in Athens airport trying to navigate the world of lost luggage, and then worry for the next day about whether the suitcase would arrive before we boarded the ship. Happily it did, but it sure gave me motivation to try harder the next time!

Edited by FauxNom

8 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

My wife says that is the craziest post she has ever read on CC 😀

Tell her it is not crazy😀 we all have the way we like to pack.

Just now, Lois R said:

Tell her it is not crazy😀 we all have the way we like to pack.

I bring a checked bag and jolly only brings a carry on, nothing crazy about either one of us.

10 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

My wife says that is the craziest post she has ever read on CC 😀

My post stemmed from Mrs Luxury calling my previous post crazy. Which I found a bit rude. 

My packing makes sense to me. 
Not wearing a dress makes sense to me. 

I don’t care how others pack, I’m just illustrating my way of doing it. Which isn’t crazy to me. 

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, jollyjones said:

I look at women teetering around in frocks and heels and clutching bags and I know who isn't crazy.

4 hours ago, jollyjones said:

My post stemmed from Mrs Luxury calling my previous post crazy. Which I found a bit rude. 

My packing makes sense to me. 
Not wearing a dress makes sense to me. 

I don’t care how others pack, I’m just illustrating my way of doing it. Which isn’t crazy to me. 

Since I am one who likes to wear dresses and heels at times and have a few packed for my upcoming cruise, though I won't be wearing them at the airport, I did find your comment about wearing them as judgemental. 

I am glad you have now clarified you don't really care how others pack.

• Like 3

One last question - I promise!!  I haven’t worn a long dress in quite a few years but am thinking of bringing an easy to pack one (lightweight and doesn’t wrinkle) for the formal nights.  Will I be in the vast minority if I do?  That’s ok, BTW, just want to know.  

9 hours ago, ggo85 said:

One last question - I promise!!  I haven’t worn a long dress in quite a few years but am thinking of bringing an easy to pack one (lightweight and doesn’t wrinkle) for the formal nights.  Will I be in the vast minority if I do?  That’s ok, BTW, just want to know.  

It depends a bit on your itinerary and you will be in the minority but you won't be the only one. On Northern European maybe more formal outfits than, say, Caribbean.

Since what is considered dressing correctly for the occasion is so much less rigid now, you might see  women in anything from long dresses to short dresses to capris to long trousers on any night of the cruise.

I think individual garments are not necessarily 'formal' or 'informal', it depends more on how they fit, how they are styled, how the whole outfit is put together and accessorised.

The only thing you're not supposed to see in the evening is shorts, but on warm weather itineraries you will probably see some smart Bermuda length shorts at deck venues in the evening.

Edited by jollyjones

You have opened the can of worms here, jolly.  Don't forget that jeans are also not supposed to be worn in the evening.  I think it is time to finish this thread, as this has all been gone over so many times before.

This would be no problem if we all had to wear what the Chinese did for many years, just the blue uniform, but life would be much less colourful, wouldn't it.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lincslady said:

You have opened the can of worms here, jolly.  Don't forget that jeans are also not supposed to be worn in the evening.  I think it is time to finish this thread, as this has all been gone over so many times before.

This would be no problem if we all had to wear what the Chinese did for many years, just the blue uniform, but life would be much less colourful, wouldn't it.  

I have no idea what can of worms you mean.

Merely stating what I have actually seen in my experience of many SS cruises.

ggo85 asked and has been answered.

But agreed, we don't need another dress code thread.

Just reintroducing the whole dress code thing, which has been done to death many times already, by stating that shorts were  the only thing you should not wear in the evenings.  Maybe 'can of worms' is just a phrase we use in the UK, meaning don't go there yet again regarding a well worn topic.

Before you close this thread down I must report: The Fashion Police were missing from our recent cruise on the Cloud, which granted was an expedition. Someone in the MDR was wearing rumpled jeans and a tacky hooded sweatshirt.   Even I looked askance in his direction and wondered where the Superbowl Party was.

• Haha 2

Just got off a 7 night (well 6, but that's a different story) Alaska cruise.  Formal night there were maybe less than a dozen men I saw in tuxes - I was one of them. Most wore either suits or sport coats. The cruise director actually made a comment seeing me in my tux with a martini glass, so I suspect that seeing lots of men in dinner jackets is fairly uncommon for Alaska.

Informal nights were sport coats for most, a few with ties, and some just wearing oxford shirts - no coat. Trousers.

Casual was oxfords or polos, a few men in sport coats.  Trousers.  I didn't see anyone in jeans that I can recall.

Having just booked my very first cruise on Silversea, I would like to thank everyone for their comments on this thread.  I realize that dress codes tend to be "done to death," probably on all the forums.  But some of us are new here and a current thread is much easier to find than digging through the archives.

Edited by SusieQft
  • Like 5