Did anyone leave the Joy recently WITHOUT COVID?

4 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Are you being serious?  🙂

I think the OP is serious with the question. And after reading posts in several different cc cruise line forums, I think the question could be posed for several different ships. 😢

• Like 1

Yes, disembarked early May covid-free.

It's out there on the ships, of course, so act accordingly.

That said, I would jump back on the Joy (or another cruise) in a second despite whatever risks are out there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Unless somebody died or became seriously ill, does it really matter??

In the real world I would totally agree. However, in the micro-environment of a cruise ship I think it matters because people are being forced to quarantine onboard. If cruise ships stop quarantining, I would agree that it really doesn't matter much at all.

Until cruise ships are no longer quarantining positive guests, I think covid rates onboard do matter. A lot. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 8

We returned on the Joy from Bermuda on 5/22 and so far so good. We did wear masks when we were around others indoors as it made us more comfortable. Passed on a few elevator rides where people were coughing 😅

We were on the 5/15 Joy cruise to Bermuda and y husband returned with Covid! I am sure it was due to standing in line for 4 hours waiting for the provisional Bermuda authorization process gone wrong!!!!with about 300 other people some masked many not!!!

In most of Europe, as long as you have had your full covid-vaccination incl booster, then at this point if you contract covid it is just threated like an ordinary flu. Even with "underlying health issues". I understand that in other parts of the world it may be more serious due to poor vaccine status for the inhabitants, but from personal experience I can only speak about Europe.

Edited by TrumpyNor
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, lx200gps said:

General question: If you disembark from a cruise ship COVID positive, are you allowed to board a commercial aircraft the US, and fly home?

Unless something has changed in the last week, you need a negative covid test no older than 24h to fly into the US (not needed to drive thru a land border).

5 minutes ago, Pat.D said:

Unless something has changed in the last week, you need a negative covid test no older than 24h to fly into the US (not needed to drive thru a land border).

No you don't.  You need a negative test taken no more than the day before you fly.  So, if you fly on a Friday, a test anytime on Thursday or Friday is OK.  There is no 24 hour requirement.

2 hours ago, lx200gps said:

General question: If you disembark from a cruise ship COVID positive, are you allowed to board a commercial aircraft the US, and fly home?

I guess what you mean is ... can a person board a flight in the US to come to Canada if you are covid positive?  The answer is yes.

Isolation requirements

Every person who enters Canada must isolate themselves for 10 days without delay in accordance with the instructions below if they:

• know that they have COVID-19 or
  • exhibit signs and symptoms of COVID-19 or
  • have received a positive result for any type of COVID-19 test collected less than 10 days before the day on which they enter Canada or
  • have reasonable grounds to suspect they have COVID-19

If required to isolate, do not use public transportation (such as aircraft, bus, train, subway, taxi or ride-sharing service) to get to your place of isolation. Isolation ends after the 10th day from the day on which you entered Canada.

Edited by d9704011

16 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I guess what you mean is ... can a person board a flight in the US to come to Canada?  The answer is yes.

Isolation requirements

Every person who enters Canada must isolate themselves for 10 days without delay in accordance with the instructions below if they:

• know that they have COVID-19 or
  • exhibit signs and symptoms of COVID-19 or
  • have received a positive result for any type of COVID-19 test collected less than 10 days before the day on which they enter Canada or
  • have reasonable grounds to suspect they have COVID-19

If required to isolate, do not use public transportation (such as aircraft, bus, train, subway, taxi or ride-sharing service) to get to your place of isolation. Isolation ends after the 10th day from the day on which you entered Canada.

According to your own quote (see parts of it below), I guess that you mean that the answer is NO (not YES).....????

If required to isolate, do not use public transportation (such as aircraft, bus, train, subway, taxi or ride-sharing service) to get to your place of isolation.

Edited by TrumpyNor

Has been answered here on a different thread, but specific to the Joy - yes, more than a few passengers that disembarked on May 15th (sailed on May 8th) tested post-cruise, a number of them "reported" & shared on social media site (FB) afterward.  NOT everyone caught or were exposed leaving the Joy, but it wasn't zero - which isn't and shouldn't be surprising.  

The private group's "admin" deleted the entire thread several days ago, asserting that discussion was off-topic, not interested in leaving a FB trail to be followed ... perhaps.  

Out of our group of 6 staying split into 2, all 3 in 1 tested positive at home but #3 not until 2 days later with mild symptoms - initial nasal swab negative.  Only 1 out of 3 tested positive and on day 4 after returning home - nasal swab, negative twice & his PCP placed him on antiviral.  Remaining 3 recovering at home, all self-isolated.  Pre-cruise, all 6 tested both PCR and Antigen Rapid negative, 2 mornings prior to embarkation in NYC.  For the 5/8/2022 sailing, the # of positive cases (with symptoms) after leaving the ship a week later could well be under 2% or 1% - all vaccinated & probably most boosted ... in theory; and, the vast majority, over 90% to 95% are fine.  That's my analysis, not data driven and not proven or proven, simply basic assumptions - could be entirely off track.  

NCL not interested in asking, finding out or collecting data for testing positive post-cruise & after disembarkation, you are on your own afterward.  This does raise interesting questions about those doing B2B and staying onboard, and whether some are slipping thru the onboard rapid testing done prior to the Joy's turnaround - a very small number/percentage.  Crews are masking as required while working and working on passenger decks whereas masking is only optional for passengers, which appears more likely to be the silent spreader(s) ... and with metro NY area and Northeast region being tagged with highest positivity rates, as reported (which some believed are being obscured due to prevalence of home testing & under-reporting.)

Before taking this off-topic and risk going against CC rules on un-related discussions, please be respectful and constructive, TIA.  

PXL_20220508_141623900.jpg

MCT - Pier 88 security line for step 1 of initial checking-in, pre-security ... no masks ... minimal to no social distancing, not practical.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

I posed that rhetorical question

because, as I understand it, the CDC is quite clear that if you have symptoms, and/or have tested positive, you cannot fly and I was understanding tha some were equating COVID with the flu. Whether or not the CDC rules are only recommendations and not legally binding right now, I don't know. I assume the airlines will follow the CDC guidelines.  My point was that current COVID is not equivalent to the flu, as I do not believe there are restrictions against flying with the flu.  A previous post implied that inside Europe, you can fly COVID positive as it's considered the same as the flu. 

This is an issue for us, as we have a trip this August were we fly home from Seattle. If we're symptom-free, we will fly home. If we have symptoms, we're stuck until we test negative. Given the rash of cases on ships right now, that's a real concern.  Our next trip is in two weeks out of Manhattan, which is very worrying given the cases on board our ship, the Joy. In that case, however, we are driving home, so don't expect any problems.

Edited by lx200gps
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Pat.D said:

We'll have a negative test for the cruise ship which will also work for the flight DOWN to the ship, but I was questioning flying home. In the case of us Montrealers flying home from the US, we apparently still can't board a flight, either US internal, or cross border back here to Montreal, if we're positive.

31 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Well, you're not supposed to board a commercial aircraft, or go in public at all, if you have COVID. The CDC guidance is clear that anyone who has tested positive should isolate - the length of time varies depending on a number of factors. Airlines I have recently flown on ask whether you have COVID (or COVID-like symptoms) during the check in process. At the same time, I'm not aware of any airlines asking you to provide evidence of a negative COVID test for domestic flights.

So...are you allowed to? No. Not if you are an honest person.

• Like 2