Important: Pack Cough Syrup (suppressent)

MudderBear

I caught a cold from the 10 hour train ride from Denali to Whittier to embark on the Majestic Princess.  I was seated in the middle section of the rail car and FROZE TO DEATH.  Cold wind blowing on my head for 10 hours.

Caught a head cold (not covid ) and desperately needed cough medicine.  No place to buy it.  From now on, I will always pack that in my luggage.

Edited by MudderBear
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, MudderBear said:

I caught a cold from the 10 hour train ride from Denali to Whittier to embark on the Majestic Princess.  I was seated in the middle section of the rail car and FROZE TO DEATH.  Cold wind blowing on my head for 10 hours.

Caught a head cold (not covid ) and desperately needed cough medicine.  No place to buy it.  From now on, I will always pack that in my luggage.

Not to hijack your post but some day I want to do the Denali to Whittier thing ... was this an open air car or were just blowing A/C on you at blizzard levels?

3 hours ago, MudderBear said:

Long ride.  I drove once from Deep Creek to Fairbanks.  Realized then how big Alaska really was! 🙂  Great advice on packing cough syrup (as well as other OTC drugs.  Hate to have a cough nowadays because everyone freaks out thinking you have covid.  LOL! Cough medicine highly recommended at those times!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MudderBear said:

Good, no GREAT advice!!

Can't even count how many times I've seen people take some type of bottled medication for such things right before going into the terminal for embarkation and this was well before Covid. 

Curious how many take the liquid bottles VS the liquid pill version. 

5 minutes ago, MudderBear said:

It was a domed car.  The middle of the car will be freezing.

This was decades ago, but I do remember how cold the train ride was.  I had my winter wool coat with me since I didn't want to pack it for the ship portion.  That was the only garment that saved me from the cold.  Denali was scorching hot on July 4th weekend.  

6 hours ago, MudderBear said:

From now on, I will always pack that in my luggage.

I read a post about Robotussin DM capsules which would be easier to carry.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Tonsoffun44 said:

Can't even count how many times I've seen people take some type of bottled medication for such things right before going into the terminal for embarkation and this was well before Covid. 

Curious how many take the liquid bottles VS the liquid pill version. 

We take gel pills, never liquid. Also packets of powder that mix with warm water. Since our 'return to cruising' last year I pretty much travel with any medicine we could possibly need!

• Like 2

This is why my wife takes more medication then the medics had In Vietnam. She once had glue for our  cabin Stewart one of his crowns fell out. He couldn’t believe she had it. We  got extra chocolate that night on the pillows 😋 😋
Tony

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

With all due respect, colds are caused by viruses and not caused by being chilled or being in a draft.

They are caused by germs--most probably passed by other passengers.

But always good advice to travel with basic OTC meds--as well as mask up and wash your hands frequently. And obviously take appropriate hats/scarves etc. when in Alaska to keep yourself comfortable.

• Like 26

35 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

With all due respect, colds are caused by viruses and not caused by being chilled or being in a draft.

They are caused by germs--most probably passed by other passengers.

But always good advice to travel with basic OTC meds--as well as mask up and wash your hands frequently. And obviously take appropriate hats/scarves etc. when in Alaska to keep yourself comfortable.

Exactly!

Hence the name Rhinovirus. It amazes me how many people say they got sick from going to bed with wet hair or being out in the cold.

• Like 5

First thing I pack is Alka Seltzer Cold.....it gets packed before my TUMS.  Many years ago I got a horrible cold on a European cruise and I was miserable.  

Now in the covid era I pack along with the Alka Seltzer Cold, Advil, Nyquil, Cough Drops, Thermaflu, Robitussin Cough & Cold, Vicks Vapo Rub (for the plumbing issues too). 

We leave in a week and will be on the train. One person traveling with us gets cold very easily.  So I am a little  concerned.  I had a flight several weeks ago that was freezing and the flight attendant said there was nothing they could do - no blankets.  I was in light Florida clothes and it was the most uncomfortable 3 hours.                                        Did you or others complain to anyone on the train.   They must have heat since the trains run all winter.

1 hour ago, cruzin4us said:

First thing I pack is Alka Seltzer Cold.....it gets packed before my TUMS.  Many years ago I got a horrible cold on a European cruise and I was miserable.  

Now in the covid era I pack along with the Alka Seltzer Cold, Advil, Nyquil, Cough Drops, Thermaflu, Robitussin Cough & Cold, Vicks Vapo Rub (for the plumbing issues too). 

Just exercise caution with all those meds. You have some serious duplication of coverage there. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

This is why my wife takes more medication then the medics had In Vietnam. She once had glue for our  cabin Stewart one of his crowns fell out. He couldn’t believe she had it. We  got extra chocolate that night on the pillows 😋 😋
Tony

Your wife is a smart woman.  I do the same.  My DH questions why I can't get more clothes into my checked luggage and then I just show him all the over-the-counter meds (including the emergency dental kit) and toiletries.  When we took our first post-Covid cruise, I had to go through everything and ditch the expired meds including the dental kit.  Then I replaced them all.  I was a Girl Scout for 8 years (in addition to being a leader) and 'be prepared' sticks with you.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, compozer said:

We leave in a week and will be on the train. One person traveling with us gets cold very easily.  So I am a little  concerned.  I had a flight several weeks ago that was freezing and the flight attendant said there was nothing they could do - no blankets.  I was in light Florida clothes and it was the most uncomfortable 3 hours.                                        Did you or others complain to anyone on the train.   They must have heat since the trains run all winter.

I always pack a pashmina (long scarf) in my carry-on or wear it if it is chilly out.  Has saved me numerous times on cold flights.  Have a great time on your trip.  🙂

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Your wife is a smart woman.  I do the same.  My DH questions why I can't get more clothes into my checked luggage and then I just show him all the over-the-counter meds (including the emergency dental kit) and toiletries.  When we took our first post-Covid cruise, I had to go through everything and ditch the expired meds including the dental kit.  Then I replaced them all.  I was a Girl Scout for 8 years (in addition to being a leader) and 'be prepared' sticks with you.

You just put a big smile on my wife’s face and made a friend for life.😁😁

Tony

My wife and I are cold all the time... a big help to us on our trips to AK has been Buffs neck gaiters. Light and thin, they can be worn around our neck, pulled up over your ears and mouth or in a pinch can even be a hat.  We love'em.  No, I don't work for them or get paid by them. But worth checking out.  You'd be surprised how much warmer you can be if you zip your coat up AND have something around your neck.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Just exercise caution with all those meds. You have some serious duplication of coverage there. 

I hear ya.....Rite Aid had a 75% off sale and I stocked up on everything cough/cold related.    It all goes in my Medicine bag.    Usually I'm just an Alka Seltzer Cold kinda gal (and cough drops).