The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday June 25th, 2022

richwmn

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I noticed a town on the starboard side as we transited a fjord a while ago.  Checking the screen on the TV showing location I saw it was Molde.  Hey, isn't Nieuw Statendam there today?  Looking at Rich's Fleet report I saw it left Molde at 4 pm.  Well, ahead of us on our bridgecam at least 3 miles, is the Nieuw Statendam!  They are traveling 20 knots and we are only going 17 knots.  Nice to see a BHB, if even from afar!

I checked the distance on CruiseMapper. 

I saw Molde but didn't know about the Nieuw Statendam. Thanks for posting. I can see her from my balcony now. I zoomed and got this fuzzy picture. This is really cool since I will be on her next month.IMG_20220625_210133124.thumb.jpg.6ff0d6db2b3e8c32e5e7ff3adeaa52b5.jpgScreenshot_20220625-210003.thumb.png.4ffa4504669b799c190d86591630170a.png

Edited by Red Haired Lady
  • Like 20

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, I'm thinking of you all, but topmost, I'm afraid, is DH who could hardly walk last night and I'm trying to persuade him we need to visit the hospital or at least a walk-in clinic.  With spinal stenosis and now sciatica, I'm not even sure we will be travelling a week from today.  

Oh no! Hope he gets better soon. I'm looking forward to meeting you on the Nieuw Statendam next month.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I hope I recognize you with a mask and all!  I saw Kay and Jim today a few times. 

I've been wondering if you ladies noticed your skin taking a beating on this cruise?  Mine is rough and bumpy from low humidity, I guess, somewhere.  Not sure if it's the ship's air or Norway but I rather think the ship.  I had bumpy textured skin in Antarctica where it's so dry, but this is even worse!  I am using up lots of skin lotions but still feel like elephant skin.

Maybe it is from being trapped in an air-conditioned cabin in quarantine Sandi.

Hopefully now you are getting fresh air your normal skin complexion will return.

Graham.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Red Haired Lady said:

My skin is normal so the ship's air is not bothering me. But there is "covid skin sensitivity." Could that be it? I never had any after effects both times I had covid, but some do.

No I feel like this dry skin issue came about BC (before Covid). But I’m sure it didn’t help any. Hopefully things will smooth out once home. 

• Like 11

Thanks for all the posts and helpful hints.  I read some to Pat.  We went to the mall for a gentle walk and a coffee.  He agreed to call the doctor and his physiotherapist first thing Monday morning, in the meantime, Tylenol, heat and Voltaren gel.  He is managing to get around and hasn't used the walking stick, although I offered it!

Always nice to see some new faces on the Daily.  Welcome, @ktbraun, and what a beautiful quilt!  Janet, @Red Haired Lady, definitely still planning on being on the beautiful Nieuw Statendam July 16!  We bought another 20 name tags holders on our way home for the M&G.  The numbers keep going up!

• Like 21

1 hour ago, ktbraun said:

Good afternoon from cloudy Wisconsin.  I've been following the "Daily" for a long time, but haven't really posted here.  I've rejoiced with happy days and prayed for everyone with sadness and troubles in their lives.  Today though, I had to say something about the Old Fashioned!  Here, it's a Brandy Old Fashioned!  They are a BIGGIE here, think Friday Lake Perch Fish Fry and a Brandy Old Fashioned at your local supper club.  

I found this about the tradition here! 

A Midwest twist on a classic cocktail.

In most of the United States, an Old Fashioned is most often made with bourbon or whiskey, sugar, bitters, and a twist of orange and/or cherry for garnish. Wisconsin, however, does things differently.

The only real commonality in Wisconsin’s version of the Old Fashioned is the sugar and the bitters. The Sconnie version swaps the bourbon or whiskey for brandy and muddles in a slice of orange and boozy cherries. The bartender will also ask whether you want a sour (an added splash of Sprite) or sweet wash (with an added splash of soda water).

It’s a fairly large divergence from the classic cocktail, but enormously popular in Wisconsin. You’d be hard-pressed to find a bar within the state limits that isn’t able to prepare the drink that way.

There’s an oft circulated story that the brandied version came to prominence following the 1893 World’s Fair in Chicago. Bartenders will often tell their guests that the reason Wisconsinites drink brandy is because the Korbel brothers came from California with cases of brandy to give away samples at the Fair. Because there were so many train routes from Wisconsin into Chicago, oodles of Wisconsinites, many of whom were immigrants from Germany where brandy was more popular, came and took notice.

When I see the word Log Cabin, I think of a quilt square!  The 3rd row is my "non-traditional" log cabin square.  Have a great day!  Karen

20210506_094342.jpg

Lovely to see you posting.

Graham.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Lovely to see you posting.

Graham.

I have to comment. It was so nice to see you welcome ktbraun. I read the dailies a lot but it seemed to me such an exclusive group of longtime cruisers who seem to “know” each other. I am just a brand new cruiser ( just finished my 2nd cruise today and if the COVID god is generous I leave on the Westerdam tomorrow). I just didn’t think I would fit in or be accepted. It was encouraging to see the kind responses to ktbraun. 👍

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Photo's of new Log Cabins are absolutely beautiful. Old log cabins not so much. I don't care for catfish or any fresh water fish for that matter although I love ocean fish. My late father-in-law was a bartender all his adult life and apparently a very succewssful one. I am not much for mixed drinks but I love a good wine, preferably white or rose. I love sloppy joe's, haven't had one in many years. I actually am going to make the quick & easy recipe tomorrow. ( Have left over roast beef that I have to eat tonight).

@VictOrian I am glad that your DH is seeing the Dr. for his spinal stenosis and sciatica problems. I had the same thing and  eventually had to have surgery so I could walk without what I would describe as bolts of electricity shooting from my back down both legs and rendering me paralyzed for several minutes.  I pray that he doesn't get to that point.

@HAL SailerIt is heartbreaking what your nephew is going through. Prayers for his recovery. At the age of 89 DH sister has made the right decision to sell her lakeside property and move to senion living apartment although I am sure it was an extremely tough decision to make.

@StLouisCruisersGood to see that both you and your DH are now able to enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Jane

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

I have to comment. It was so nice to see you welcome ktbraun. I read the dailies a lot but it seemed to me such an exclusive group of longtime cruisers who seem to “know” each other. I am just a brand new cruiser ( just finished my 2nd cruise today and if the COVID god is generous I leave on the Westerdam tomorrow). I just didn’t think I would fit in or be accepted. It was encouraging to see the kind responses to ktbraun. 👍

And we all welcome you Nickelpenny. Most of us have actually never met each other. We just all have in common our love of cruising and I am sure that you will fit in perfectly. (Good to see another Arizonian chime in.)

Jane

• Like 18

Just now, lazey1 said:

And we all welcome you Nickelpenny. Most of us have actually never met each other. We just all have in common our love of cruising and I am sure that you will fit in perfectly. (Good to see another Arizonian chime in.)

Jane

🤭thanks!!!!

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

Welcome @Nickelpenny.

The daily is a wonderful place to be and everyone will love to see you post.

I have never met anyone personally but I got an amazing reception over a year ago and have posted every day since.

That is awesome you have just got off your second cruise and prayers 🙏 you have another amazing cruise tomorrow on Westerdam.

Very best regards.

Graham.

• Like 13

13 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

Everybody is welcome here.

Terri

• Like 16

2 hours ago, ktbraun said:

Good afternoon from cloudy Wisconsin.  I've been following the "Daily" for a long time, but haven't really posted here.  I've rejoiced with happy days and prayed for everyone with sadness and troubles in their lives.  Today though, I had to say something about the Old Fashioned!  Here, it's a Brandy Old Fashioned!  They are a BIGGIE here, think Friday Lake Perch Fish Fry and a Brandy Old Fashioned at your local supper club.  

I found this about the tradition here! 

A Midwest twist on a classic cocktail.

In most of the United States, an Old Fashioned is most often made with bourbon or whiskey, sugar, bitters, and a twist of orange and/or cherry for garnish. Wisconsin, however, does things differently.

The only real commonality in Wisconsin’s version of the Old Fashioned is the sugar and the bitters. The Sconnie version swaps the bourbon or whiskey for brandy and muddles in a slice of orange and boozy cherries. The bartender will also ask whether you want a sour (an added splash of Sprite) or sweet wash (with an added splash of soda water).

It’s a fairly large divergence from the classic cocktail, but enormously popular in Wisconsin. You’d be hard-pressed to find a bar within the state limits that isn’t able to prepare the drink that way.

There’s an oft circulated story that the brandied version came to prominence following the 1893 World’s Fair in Chicago. Bartenders will often tell their guests that the reason Wisconsinites drink brandy is because the Korbel brothers came from California with cases of brandy to give away samples at the Fair. Because there were so many train routes from Wisconsin into Chicago, oodles of Wisconsinites, many of whom were immigrants from Germany where brandy was more popular, came and took notice.

When I see the word Log Cabin, I think of a quilt square!  The 3rd row is my "non-traditional" log cabin square.  Have a great day!  Karen

20210506_094342.jpg

I love the Old Fashion story! I was introduced to Old Fashions when living in Wisconsin in the 80’s. It was my cousin, Brian’s specialty drink, (made with whiskey), and to this day, DH and I when drinking Old Fashions, compare them to Brian’s. Good memories. 🥃 Thank you and welcome ktbraun!

• Like 17

23 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

Welcome.  Except for a few that followed the original Fleet Report, most of us were new to The Daily and were lurkers for a while.  We were all welcomed and made to feel a part of what became known as the Daily Family.  We hope to see you here often. 

During a couple of recent cruses, I've had the chance to meet some of the Dailyites on the Koningsdam.  It was like meeting friends with none of the awkward getting to know you.  Even without having met, we had cruising in common and also "knew" each other from the Daily.

Enjoy your Westerdam cruise.

Lenda

• Like 21

Welcome @ktbraun and @Nickelpenny. We're happy to see you here!  Everyone is welcome.  As others have said, most of us have never met but after a couple years of chatting here, I feel like I know everyone I hadn't already met.  

RED LETTER DAY!   We're using our new A/C for the first time today and I love it!!  Living here in WA state we don't need it often, but because of that most of us are wimps when it does get hot (and for me that's anything over 80 degrees F. 😉  

Question:  what temperature do you set yours at?  We're trying 75, and that seems to be fine.  I asked DD and DS -- she sets hers at 70 (native Washingtonian) and DS and DDIL, who just moved up from Southern CA, are happy with 80.  I guess we're taking the happy medium!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Welcome @ktbraun and @Nickelpenny. We're happy to see you here!  Everyone is welcome.  As others have said, most of us have never met but after a couple years of chatting here, I feel like I know everyone I hadn't already met.  

RED LETTER DAY!   We're using our new A/C for the first time today and I love it!!  Living here in WA state we don't need it often, but because of that most of us are wimps when it does get hot (and for me that's anything over 80 degrees F. 😉  

Question:  what temperature do you set yours at?  We're trying 75, and that seems to be fine.  I asked DD and DS -- she sets hers at 70 (native Washingtonian) and DS and DDIL, who just moved up from Southern CA, are happy with 80.  I guess we're taking the happy medium!

We're in Bremerton & we have ours set at 74 --- we get the afternoon & evening sun (west facing).  Also have sun-blocker shades on our west facing windows.

Edited by 57redbird
correction
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Ours is set to 78. We live in the South and the summers are quite hot and humid, but we moved here because we don’t like to be cold so we don’t want the A/C set any lower than that. 😁

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon, time for a check-in.  First of all, welcome @ktbraun and @Nickelpenny!  You're both more than welcome here - we're a pretty good group of folks who have never met, yet feel like family.  I'm hoping we'll be able to meet some of the Daily family on the Oosterdam trans-Atlantic from Barcelona in November.  It will be nice to put faces and voices to the names we see and read almost every day.  Be assured, though, there's always room at the table for you.

BTW, we set ours at 24C (75.2F) because it just feels too warm if it gets hotter than that in the house.  We've only had to run it once this year, but for us, summer hasn't really appeared yet - it generally happens in July and August.   Hope everyone is having a great Saturday!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

A big welcome to @ktbraun and @Nickelpenny.  We're glad you've joined us and feel free to add comments whenever you wish.  We don't all have the same opinions about things, but that is ok because we work hard to keep things friendly and accepting.  We started out at the beginning of the pandemic and for some of us, this was a great opportunity for contact with others.  When we were under stay at home orders we all reached out.  Some of us lived alone and this was a life line.  

@Vict0riann I am glad Pat is giving the doctor a call.   I have the same problems along with degenerative disc disease and scoliosis with a dislocation of the sacroiliac.  Sometimes my legs go numb if the nerve is being compressed.  Sometimes when walking I will get pain in my thighs that becomes unbearable.  I have found a cane helps if I am walking any distance.  As much as I hate to use it, I can do more with it.  Short distances are ok without it.  If I want to hike I use my poles.  I think regular exercise is one of the keys to keeping mobile with these things.  

@Cruising-along I keep mine at 76.  When it is hot here, it is also humid.  If I can get the humidity out of the house it is much more comfortable.  The trees in the back yard do a wonderful job of shading my house and keeping it cool.  Today was a hot one, but I haven't turned on the air and it is nice and cool in the house.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Welcome @ktbraun and @Nickelpenny to the Daily/Fleet report. You'll find very nice folks here.

@Cruising-along My AC downstairs is set at 77/78. The room I hang out in used to be a porch and has a tin roof, so it really heats up. There's also a thru-the-wall air conditioning unit in that room, that I turn on when the rest of the first floor doesn't need to be cooled. Since my house is so big, I have a 2nd AC system for the 2nd and 3rd floors. That comes on in the evening. I have it set to 78 since the thermostat is on the hotter 3rd floor, and that cools the bedrooms on the 2nd floor to about 74-75.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1