Your thoughts? Given "supply chain" and other issues, better to hold off on spontaneous July Summit Bermuda sailing?

MaggieAtSea

So reading the struggle of many to have recent sailings be comprable to previous ones, better, you think, to hold off on an impromptu sailing this summer to Bermuda (an itinerary we have never done) on a ship we know like the back of our hand?  Typically I would say that a week at sea has to be better than a week on land, no matter the conditions, but maybe COVID and the global supply chain have thoughts on that.  

What are yours??

I haven't priced out Bermuda cruises from Bayonne/Boston lately but I recall them to be typically expensive on a per night basis relative to other itineraries. If you're concerned about getting less value due to covid/staffing/supply chain, an itinerary that is already priced at the high end will only magnify those shortcomings. That would be my thought process anyway.

• Like 1

Who knows what shortages you might encounter?  Our grocery stores are all out of several flavors of jelly.  There’s no Campbell’s Minestrone.  Last week there was no Sriracha.  It’s all a crap shoot.  Is rheee anything they could be out of that would severely be a detriment to enjoying your cruise?

Personal opinion only -  life is too short to worry about the small things.   If you want or need a vacation go for it.   I've been on 5 cruises since resumption of cruising and while there have been shortages none of them affected how I enjoyed the cruise.  

Many of the shortage you will also probably have to deal with at home as well as at sea. 

One of the shortages that many were complaining about was Crown Royal -  When I googled on it I found out it wasn't just Celebrity.   Covid caused a world wide shortage from too many people drinking it while at home and drank them out of stock.   They said with aged whiskey's you can't just turn on the tap and make more.    All passengers found an acceptable alternative.

• Like 8

We just got back from June 26 sailing on Summit. If there were shortages, we didn’t see it. If I read other posters correctly, they encountered shortages of various wines and liquors, but you will find that at home these days. If that is important to you then postpone. We had a great time, didn’t miss a thing and thoroughly enjoyed our week. Only complaint…it went too fast! 

• Like 1

Got off the Summit on June 19th. The only thing I noticed that was lacking was some of the premium wine choices, but I know that was a gripe in 2019 for us (They had great substitutes, Ayu is fantastic at Wine Cellars,  I just felt bad for the staff -why have a printed wine list that's never updated?) The activities team didn't have as many evening activities as in Bermuda trips past, but it didn't ruin our cruise. Bermuda is our favorite island to visit - beautiful beaches and friendly people and safe to explore the island on your own. Go for it! 

Edited by psuboater

13 hours ago, MaggieAtSea said:

So reading the struggle of many to have recent sailings be comprable to previous ones, better, you think, to hold off on an impromptu sailing this summer to Bermuda (an itinerary we have never done) on a ship we know like the back of our hand?  Typically I would say that a week at sea has to be better than a week on land, no matter the conditions, but maybe COVID and the global supply chain have thoughts on that.  

What are yours??

I'd not exactly call it a "struggle"!  Only you know the answer to this question, there are supply issues on land as well, supermarkets, restaurants etc

13 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Personal opinion only -  life is too short to worry about the small things.   If you want or need a vacation go for it.   I've been on 5 cruises since resumption of cruising and while there have been shortages none of them affected how I enjoyed the cruise.  

Many of the shortage you will also probably have to deal with at home as well as at sea. 

One of the shortages that many were complaining about was Crown Royal -  When I googled on it I found out it wasn't just Celebrity.   Covid caused a world wide shortage from too many people drinking it while at home and drank them out of stock.   They said with aged whiskey's you can't just turn on the tap and make more.    All passengers found an acceptable alternative.

We are scheduled on the July 31 Summit sailing,

FWIW ... DH, who is a professor of Supply Chain at a top 10 US university, says that the supply chain issues will continue into at least the first quarter of 2024.

We figure it's better to deal with the shortages on a cruise than on staycation 🙂

1 minute ago, DisneyJen said:

FWIW ... DH, who is a professor of Supply Chain at a top 10 US university, says that the supply chain issues will continue into at least the first quarter of 2024.

We figure it's better to deal with the shortages on a cruise than on staycation 🙂

Agree, and life is short, so live it wide

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MaggieAtSea said:

I would say that a week at sea has to be better than a week on land, no matter the conditions

You pretty much answered your own question.  Part of travelling is making due and trying something.  Cruising is no different despite the fact that so many seem so hung up on having every familiar choice and creature comfort while aboard a cruise ship.  

Roll with it, try something new if your favorite is not available (or even if it is), and have a great time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Looking forward to our September NE/Canada cruise on the Summit. 

Are you spending any time in Boston pre/post-cruise?  I was ohsoclose to booking this, I live very close to the terminal in Seaport.

20 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Oh my - I am now stressing over the Crown shortage.  Poor DH upgraded to premium specifically because it has Crown included and that's what he drinks (like water, lol).  We leave on the Summit on the 24th - I think I'll keep this little tidbit to myself and hope they restock on the 23rd! 

@MaggieAtSea I am not sure of the date of the cruise on the Summit you are choosing. Keep in mind that Bermuda has national holidays this year on July 28 and July 29.

Most shops and businesses  are closed in celebration and many Bermudians go to the beaches and have picnics and barbecues. 

One year, my DH and I were on the Summit to Bermuda and experienced the holiday situation.Of course, it didn’t cause us to have an unsatisfactory cruise,but it did limit somethings we had planned for our visit to Bermuda.

@LuvCruising88. If your DH was my hubby,I would gently remind him of how fortunate he is to be going on a cruise with you considering the way the world is lately. Lack of his favorite whiskey,while disappointing, pales in comparison to problems people are facing.

On a helpful note, perhaps Celebrity allows one bottle of scotch to be brought onboard. A bottle of wine is allowed,at least it used to be permitted.

If that is not possible, perhaps you can visit various bars in Bermuda where he can get his Crown fix.

Wishing you both an enjoyable cruise !

MJ

On 7/4/2022 at 9:08 PM, MaggieAtSea said:

What are yours??

We did a spontaneous sailing on the Edge for 7 nights this past March. Booked the air, hotel and cruise the week before departure. The ship was the destination and we never got off at any ports. It turned out to be one of our best vacations.

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 1

We've been on 5 cruises since cruising started again, with another one scheduled for next month on the Equinox.   We never experienced any shortages on any ship of which we were aware.   The crew may have been stretched a couple of times but not to the point of it being a big deal.   If we hadn't "known" about shortages, we probably wouldn't have noticed anything.

5 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

One real concern is the strong possibility of shortage of onboard service staff. There have been reports of this on several lines.

We sailed on the Summit on May 23rd. We definitely noticed many items missing due to "supply chain issues." However what really affected our cruise was the grossly understaffed crew. It especially affected our nightly dining experience in the main dining room. The crew did the best they could but it turned out to be a very disappointing experience.

On 7/5/2022 at 11:04 AM, DisneyJen said:

We are on the July 31 sailing as well... and the August 7 sailing right after. I am not at all concerned about shortages either.

I have cancelled a few cruises due to changing health protocols around Covid.. we have managed to cruise on one of the last full cruises before the shut down in '20 and just before Omecron or Delta (can't recall which) in early Dec and then managed to get a relatively safe cruise in April. During this last cruise DH really suffered with his bad knees and I had an Afib episode during most of the cruise and frankly was afraid to go to medical.. I am relatively knew to afib so I now realize I over reacted. However the one thing this last cruise pointed out is that if you are older..you have no idea how long you will be healthy enough to cruise. My advise is take it.. and roll with the supply chain issues..if there are any. Yes your favorite brands may not be there.. but it is an opportunity to try some other brand.. you may find a new favorite.. but if it were me.. I would go....

16 hours ago, MJSailors said:

@MaggieAtSea I am not sure of the date of the cruise on the Summit you are choosing. Keep in mind that Bermuda has national holidays this year on July 28 and July 29.

Most shops and businesses  are closed in celebration and many Bermudians go to the beaches and have picnics and barbecues. 

One year, my DH and I were on the Summit to Bermuda and experienced the holiday situation.Of course, it didn’t cause us to have an unsatisfactory cruise,but it did limit somethings we had planned for our visit to Bermuda.

@LuvCruising88. If your DH was my hubby,I would gently remind him of how fortunate he is to be going on a cruise with you considering the way the world is lately. Lack of his favorite whiskey,while disappointing, pales in comparison to problems people are facing.

On a helpful note, perhaps Celebrity allows one bottle of scotch to be brought onboard. A bottle of wine is allowed,at least it used to be permitted.

They allow wine to be brought on board but not liquor