What’s the consensus? Should only expect good food on board in specialty restaurants?

3 hours ago, flamingos said:

I took my first Holland cruise last month and loved it - but one of the few disappointments was the Lido buffet.  Nice enough, but lacking variety and it was basically the same every day. It had far fewer options than the Windjammer.

Tastes vary.  If you look for disappointment, you will find it. 

I’m thinking this is really my answer! tastes vary. I really liked the simple fare of the lido…baked chicken fish or pasta with a protein is all i need for a 7 day cruise. My cruise mates say i’m mad though! haha 

1 hour ago, RoperDK said:

Well, I guess there is no answer as to which ship the OP was on.  We were very impressed with the windjammer on Odyssey.  Omelets were made to order.  I enjoyed the meat selection at the grill.  Really enjoyed the steamed veggies, too. I'm a meat and veggie kinda gal.  I don't go for casserole type items, but my DH enjoyed them.  The only complaint I had was that the desserts were bland.  We have only been on Odyssey and Mariner since startup, but never went to windjammer on Mariner for some reason.  I wonder if some ships are more "up to standard" than others. 

I enjoyed the desserts on Odyssey.  One day they were making made to order cannolis, another day was crepes.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Oshunj said:

For as much as cruises cost, at least for the majority of people making an average wage, I think food onboard a cruise should be palatable. This is not including the specialty restaurants that incur extra charges. And I’m not talking about gourmet chef style food either!

I was disappointed to go onboard and not see your basic baked or roasted-chicken and fish  at the buffet. Omelette station in the morning was subpar with “pre -made” omelettes….and missing ingredients if you asked for a fresh one.

What do you think? Am I asking too much for the main buffet dining area on a 7 day cruise? Should I expect sub-par food at the buffet.

Note: Holland America may have spoiled me with their pasta station and grill station.

To be fair, when I complained, a nice young attendant had a chicken filet grilled up for me.  

I got the most delicious simply roasted chicken in the Windjammer on every cruise I’ve taken.  My mouth waters just thinking about it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Oshunj said:

For as much as cruises cost, at least for the majority of people making an average wage, I think food onboard a cruise should be palatable. This is not including the specialty restaurants that incur extra charges. And I’m not talking about gourmet chef style food either!

I was disappointed to go onboard and not see your basic baked or roasted-chicken and fish  at the buffet. Omelette station in the morning was subpar with “pre -made” omelettes….and missing ingredients if you asked for a fresh one.

What do you think? Am I asking too much for the main buffet dining area on a 7 day cruise? Should I expect sub-par food at the buffet.

Note: Holland America may have spoiled me with their pasta station and grill station.

To be fair, when I complained, a nice young attendant had a chicken filet grilled up for me.  

So far post COVID I have not been happy with Royal.  I have an upcoming cruise in a few weeks.  If the food is not any better that will be my last Royal cruise, for at least a decade.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Project-College said:

RCL, my TA, and someone just off Oasis said that Dinner was a charge unless you have a plan?

Solarium Bistro is included in your cruise fare.   They do offer some items such as filet mignon and lobster for extra fee, as does the MDR.

There was a time when there were no specialty restaurants. Food in the MDR was good.

* Just happy to be cruising again...no cooking, no washing dishes...life is good.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

There was a time when there were no specialty restaurants. Food in the MDR was good.

* Just happy to be cruising again...no cooking, no washing dishes...life is good.

Yep, I think the introduction of specialty restaurants is when the quality of food started to decline across the board. Back in the mid-2000s when specialty dining options started becoming more prevalent, I used to think who would pay extra for food when there's fine food and atmosphere in the main dining room?

I wonder if the decline in MDR food quality was done intentionally to incentivize guests to pay the surcharge for specialty dining, or if it's because now with so many specialty dining venues, their more senior and talented food and beverage staff are assigned to specialty restaurants while the more junior staff begin in the main dining room.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Oshunj said:

I’m thinking this is really my answer! tastes vary. I really liked the simple fare of the lido…baked chicken fish or pasta with a protein is all i need for a 7 day cruise. My cruise mates say i’m mad though! haha 

My favorite thing in the Lido - after the bread pudding, of course - was the baguette sandwiches with butter and gouda.  Great snacks!

• Like 2

The problem with RCL is that they are consistently inconsistent. Food may be fantastic on one ship but absolutely terrible on another. I have even had B2B where it was great the first week and very sub-par the second (we had a different head-chef the 2nd week and for what-ever reason it was evident in the quality).

Things got way worse after Covid hit and supply-chain became a huge issue. So-far we have taken 5 cruises in the last 8 months: two had FANTASTIC food, 3 were "normal", 1 cruise the food was "very bad" and 1 was completely inedible. The trend with the level of Service had also been similar: all ships are under-staffed; some by a little (Service is not quite as good a pre-Covid but still passable), and some by a lot (venues are closed or have limited hours and staff are way over-worked and it visibly shows). A lot of time the Food Quality and Service are inter-related.

Right now taking a cruise is kind of like rolling the dice: you just don't know the quality of the product until a day or two into the cruise. I have pretty much been recommending to my non-cruiser friends to "wait another year for the dust to settle" before booking their first (or second) cruise. For those that have taken a few cruises but none since Covid, I lay out the odds as being some like:

5% chance of Food/Service being better than your previous cruises

25% chance of it being about the same

40% chance of it being a little worse than previous cruises (but probably still acceptable)

25% chance of it being disappointing since Food/Service just not meeting the quality/cost ratio you expect

5% change you will swear off cruising all-together since it was so bad 

In my last 5 cruises, I have experienced all 5 of the above 😕 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Food is so subjective. What is fine dining to one is unpalatable to another. 

Food is not why I choose a certain ship, though there are venues I prefer (El loco fresh) over others (Johnny Rockets). I have never gone hungry and enjoy the variety of things on offer. 

We have been fortunate to have wait staff that have made good recommendations or even brought us something "off menu" to try. We like the specialty restaurants because it is a different dining experience, but I don't necessarily like all of them. Izumi is our new fave, Chops is classic, but I really did not care for Jamie's Italian or the "new" Giovanni's. 

Of course, YMMV. The best part is always that someone else cooks and cleans up!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RockHoundTX said:

The problem with RCL is that they are consistently inconsistent. Food may be fantastic on one ship but absolutely terrible on another. I have even had B2B where it was great the first week and very sub-par the second (we had a different head-chef the 2nd week and for what-ever reason it was evident in the quality).

Things got way worse after Covid hit and supply-chain became a huge issue. So-far we have taken 5 cruises in the last 8 months: two had FANTASTIC food, 3 were "normal", 1 cruise the food was "very bad" and 1 was completely inedible. The trend with the level of Service had also been similar: all ships are under-staffed; some by a little (Service is not quite as good a pre-Covid but still passable), and some by a lot (venues are closed or have limited hours and staff are way over-worked and it visibly shows). A lot of time the Food Quality and Service are inter-related.

Right now taking a cruise is kind of like rolling the dice: you just don't know the quality of the product until a day or two into the cruise. I have pretty much been recommending to my non-cruiser friends to "wait another year for the dust to settle" before booking their first (or second) cruise. For those that have taken a few cruises but none since Covid, I lay out the odds as being some like:

5% chance of Food/Service being better than your previous cruises

25% chance of it being about the same

40% chance of it being a little worse than previous cruises (but probably still acceptable)

25% chance of it being disappointing since Food/Service just not meeting the quality/cost ratio you expect

5% change you will swear off cruising all-together since it was so bad 

In my last 5 cruises, I have experienced all 5 of the above 😕 

Thank you for your honest review of the current conditions onboard.  That is why we choose to wait it out a little longer. We are glad we aren't scheduled now to cruise again until October 2023. Hopefully by that time all things will return to normal and be up and running at 100% like we have be used to on our past cruises.

In the mean time we will be extremely happy just doing land vacation where things are  more back to normal.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

So far post COVID I have not been happy with Royal.  I have an upcoming cruise in a few weeks.  If the food is not any better that will be my last Royal cruise, for at least a decade.

Totally understand, it is not great  paying regular prices for  a sub standard product.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

In April the Doors were Closed in evenings on Jewel. Daughter/SIL said Food there was Fantastic. She's been Cruising Royal for 25+ yrs since she was 6. Just asked her, 9:30pm Meal sitting middle of room and no noticeable noise 

The doors were always open and they didn’t want them closed, such a shame as the food was delicious but the racket from the pianist was too much

20 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I enjoyed the desserts on Odyssey.  One day they were making made to order cannolis, another day was crepes.

I totally missed that.  I love cake and the windjammer's versions weren't great to me.  A plus for Carnival is they have multiple types of cakes (5 to 7) that they slice for you at the lunch buffet and they are quite yummy.  The rest of the time they are just like Royal where everything looks good, but lacks flavor.  JMHO 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 10:16 AM, 3yorkies said:

I like or love about 90% of what I order in the main dining room.   About the same as when I eat out at home.   Difference is that when I don't like what I get in the MDR they bring me something else or I can opt for pizza that night or snacks in the Diamond Lounge.   I almost never do a specialty restaurant as I am fine with the MDR.   I do not do the buffet unless it is a ship with a solarium buffet which I do very occasionally.  

Well stated.  For some reason, and over the years, passengers keep thinking they shouldn't tell their dining room staff if something isn't right with a meal.  Within reason, IMO.  

I was on 3 ships this year from Jan to mid-May: 58 days total.  I think I sent 2 meals back, and one was replaced with the same entree, and the second was a different entree.  Gladly.  Very quickly. 

The staff WANT to know if the food isn't satisfactory.  They WANT us all to come back to their station.  

Be nice, choose something else if you want.  No drama.

I loved the specialty restaurants on all three ships, but 2/3 of my dinners were in the MDR, and I was happy with all of it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pcur said:

Well stated.  For some reason, and over the years, passengers keep thinking they shouldn't tell their dining room staff if something isn't right with a meal.  Within reason, IMO.  

I was on 3 ships this year from Jan to mid-May: 58 days total.  I think I sent 2 meals back, and one was replaced with the same entree, and the second was a different entree.  Gladly.  Very quickly. 

The staff WANT to know if the food isn't satisfactory.  They WANT us all to come back to their station.  

Be nice, choose something else if you want.  No drama.

I loved the specialty restaurants on all three ships, but 2/3 of my dinners were in the MDR, and I was happy with all of it.

Some are afraid to complain thinking it will get worse 😕 

Total fallacy in my opinion

One thing I'm always confused about is folks that say they don't like or are disappointed with the food on a cruise ship. Be it Carnival, Norwegian, HA, Celebrity, or Royal I've found the food to be good to excellent. I mean the options are so VAST. Hit the MDR first, go by the buffet, and then pizza or room service. How can someone NOT find something they LIKE.  Buffets always seem to have a huge selection...three times a day.  April on Oasis...from the Windjammer to Coastal Kitchen, to room service, Johnny Rockets, Chops, Giovanni's, EL Loco Fresh, Portside BBQ, Izumi, and 159 CP...the food was some of the best I've had on a cruise ship and most places on land.  

I just don't get it....

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, chill6x6 said:

One thing I'm always confused about is folks that say they don't like or are disappointed with the food on a cruise ship. Be it Carnival, Norwegian, HA, Celebrity, or Royal I've found the food to be good to excellent. I mean the options are so VAST. Hit the MDR first, go by the buffet, and then pizza or room service. How can someone NOT find something they LIKE.  Buffets always seem to have a huge selection...three times a day.  April on Oasis...from the Windjammer to Coastal Kitchen, to room service, Johnny Rockets, Chops, Giovanni's, EL Loco Fresh, Portside BBQ, Izumi, and 159 CP...the food was some of the best I've had on a cruise ship and most places on land.  

I just don't get it....

I gain weight most every cruise😉

Probably the booze, though.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

I gain weight most every cruise😉

Probably the booze, though.

I usually lose weight on a cruise.  With the flexibility of choices in the Windjammer, and choosing my entrees and sides in the MDR and restaurants, I can pass on the empty carbs and go for the savory proteins.  I don't drink "fru-fru" cocktails or beers.  I stick to carb-free mixed drinks.  I eat enough appetizers, sides and entrees to avoid dessert.   

But I haven't cruised since COVID and the COVID has not been kind to me.  I've put on 15lbs in the last 2+ years.  I have no excuses, because I've been WFH for the last 5 years.  I even stopped drinking for a month to make sure it wasn't the Scotch (it wasn't).  So I guess I just need to start training for the belly-flop contest.  I guess I should be good at something.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rudeney said:

I usually lose weight on a cruise.  With the flexibility of choices in the Windjammer, and choosing my entrees and sides in the MDR and restaurants, I can pass on the empty carbs and go for the savory proteins.  I don't drink "fru-fru" cocktails or beers.  I stick to carb-free mixed drinks.  I eat enough appetizers, sides and entrees to avoid dessert.   

But I haven't cruised since COVID and the COVID has not been kind to me.  I've put on 15lbs in the last 2+ years.  I have no excuses, because I've been WFH for the last 5 years.  I even stopped drinking for a month to make sure it wasn't the Scotch (it wasn't).  So I guess I just need to start training for the belly-flop contest.  I guess I should be good at something.

A lot of weight put on quickly on a cruise is mostly water retention and once home can be shed within a week or two. Weight put on slowly over time is more difficult to shift without big changes to lifestyle 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, chill6x6 said:

I just don't get it....

Having a lot of options does not mean the food is good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, George C said:

Last two cruises we had eaten in either suite restaurant or specialty restaurants and was not happy with suite restaurant for dinner.

CK aint what it used to be😪

We've had some nice dinners in MDR, though

16 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Some are afraid to complain thinking it will get worse 😕 

Total fallacy in my opinion

In close to 50 years of cruising, I have NEVER had this occur.  Every.Single.Time the wait staff wanted to make it RIGHT for us.

• Thanks 1