The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday July 17th, 2022

richwmn

Today is National Ice Cream Day, Wrong Way Corrigan Day, and World Emoji Day

I would rather walk with a friend in the dark, than alone in the light.--Helen Keller

Meal Suggestion for today - crispy chicken
Drink of the Day - Gingerbread Sour
Wine of the Day - Foris 2020 Pinot Gris (Rogue Valley) Southern Oreg
Destination of the Day - Shimizu, Japan

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 07/18

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska - Juneau, Alaska eta 07/18

Nieuw Amsterdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:30

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Alesund, Norway eta 07/18

Noordam

Whittier, Alaska 01:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Split, Croatia 10:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

Amsterdam, Netherlands North Holland 07:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Seattle, Washington 07:00 - 16:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Reykjavik, Iceland eta 07/18

Zuiderdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0717World.thumb.png.86292420585e25ec5640d61c60b4cbe5.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 11

Good morning and thank you for the Fleet Report and Daily.

A warm day here.  Yesterday I got 2 loads of laundry on the line and dried.   I should do more laundry and hang it outside while the weather is good, but it's Sunday, so .... what to do?  Bertie is waiting for his walk, we need to get out before the pavement gets too hot for his feet.

Interesting days.  Ice cream is a good choice.  And Wrong Way Corrigan shows us that a wrong turn can still be a success.  Sometimes I think there are too many emojis and I don't know what people are trying to say.

I like the quote.

Yum on the meal.  But we're having spareribs.

I'll pass on the drink but hope the wine is tasty.

Thanks in advance for pictures of Shimizu, we've never been to Japan.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful Sunday.  Stay safe.

• Like 31

Good afternoon.

It is 70°F and raining.

We had a nice church service this morning.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

I think most of us use emojis 😉 when texting.

I like ice cream especially Pistachio flavour.

Excellent quote today.

Chicken is always nice.

I hope everyone is well 

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

IMG_20220717_095353.jpg

Screenshot_20220717_115142.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Sunday Report Rich, and Graham for the message of the week.  Love the Keller quote.  I'm not into Emoji's and amused by stories of Wrong Way Corrigan,  but will definitely celebrate Ice Cream Day.  Been to Shimizu twice, 2004 on Crystal Harmony and 2017 on MS Amsterdam.  Crispy Chicken is delicious but oh the fat.  My alternative is Beef and Vegetable Soup, Braised Lamb Shank, and Cherries Jubilee as served on MS Rotterdam VI July 17, 2011.

Today’s care list:

RIP Buddy 7/13/22
RIP Nora Brown of Howick QC, 7/11/22
Camila and mom with covid
Mamaofami son with covid
Heartgrove brother discharged but rapidly declining
Marshhawk DH awaiting biopsy
From the rotation:
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (6/24)
Bennybear DH with melanoma
Strength and healing for Kazu
Tana with persistant cough

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Seasick Sailer in Hawaii
Great bitthday celebration for Cunnorl DS
Cruisin Single with sister to 7/28
National (US) 988 crisis hotline
Volendam caring for refugees
0106 covering menu suggestions until 8/1
Welcome home dobiemom, RWSBADGER, and luvteaching
lindaler getting settled in and new home in shape
Bon Voyage dfish (Rotterdam 7/17 to 7/31) and Gail&Marty (10/15)
Vict0riann  (Nieuw Statendam (7/16 to 8/9) and Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13)  at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 12

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  Perfect day to celebrate ice cream-Sunday!  A wrong turn can sometimes open an unexpected discovery.  I try to keep it simple with emojis.  The meal and drink suggestions sound very good.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  I have a whole lot of nothing planned for today, a perfect Sunday!  Prayers for everyone on today’s prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events 🥂.

• Like 26

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Sunday Report Rich, and Graham for the message of the week.  Love the Keller quote.  I'm not into Emoji's and amused by stories of Wrong Way Corrigan,  but will definitely celebrate Ice Cream Day.  Been to Shimizu twice, 2004 on Crystal Harmony and 2017 on MS Amsterdam.  Crispy Chicken is delicious but oh the fat.  My alternative is Beef and Vegetable Soup, Braised Lamb Shank, and Cherries Jubilee as served on MS Rotterdam VI July 17, 2011.

Today’s care list:

RIP Buddy 7/13/22
RIP Nora Brown of Howick QC, 7/11/22
Camila and mom with covid
Mamaofami son with covid
Heartgrove brother discharged but rapidly declining
Marshhawk DH awaiting biopsy
From the rotation:
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (6/24)
Bennybear DH with melanoma
Strength and healing for Kazu
Tana with persistant cough

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Seasick Sailer in Hawaii
Great bitthday celebration for Cunnorl DS
Cruisin Single with sister to 7/28
National (US) 988 crisis hotline
Volendam caring for refugees
0106 covering menu suggestions until 8/1
Welcome home dobiemom, RWSBADGER, and luvteaching
lindaler getting settled in and new home in shape
Bon Voyage dfish (Rotterdam 7/17 to 7/31) and Gail&Marty (10/15)
Vict0riann  (Nieuw Statendam (7/16 to 8/9) and Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13)  at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Yesterday’s rains seemed to have cooled it down a bit. Lots of deer foraging around this morning. 

Thank you for our lists, Roy. I know Julia @JAM37 was going to be away until July 7th, so perhaps she was delayed. Hopefully all is well with everyone who hasn’t posted for awhile.  @0106, Tina, you really have taken hold of our daily meals. Thank you!

Off to the gym.  Then Aldi. Then I have a bunch of boxes & bubble wrap to deliver to a friend who is starting to pack for her upcoming move. 

Another gift from the girls…. I really love this idea.

2A149BC0-3E16-4952-9E14-E550219F1D7D.jpeg.3375ccdde1d42269b6dd4f09b89091fb.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Stay well everyone!

Foris 2020 Pinot Gris (Rogue Valley)

Excellent reviews from critics and consumers make me want to try this Oregon wine. Sounds perfect for a hot summer evening. A bit elusive, but there were a couple online distributors with prices starting at $16.99.

Distributor notes

While not overtly "fruity", Granny Smith apple, nectarine, Kiwi and Casaba melon highlight the fruit attributes. Hints of cumin seed, celery seed, lemon grass, cucumber and green tea add interest and complexity. Medium bodied with a silky smooth entry, a slight walnut like astringency pairs well with the crisp finish.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 4

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Great quote from a wonderful person.

Hooray for Ice Cream.

Crispy chicken is good also but I try to limit my intake of fried foods.

Been to Japan but only a stopover on the way to Vietnam in 1967.

Should be a good last day at the British Open.

McIlroy and Hovland played really well yesterday.

No golf for me on Sundays, off on my 40 minute bike ride in a few minutes then a quick shower and then it's off to chiurch

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 28

What do you think of when the meal suggestion for the day says, “Crispy Chicken”?  The first thing that came to my mind was my grandmother’s fried chicken.  I learned how to fry chicken by watching her.  I don’t have a recipe.  I’m going to start by giving you some tips for making the crispiest and juiciest fried chicken you have ever made.

1. You must brine the meat before frying in order to tenderize and flavor it.  A simple mix of salt and water (3 quarts water to 1 T salt) would work but Grandma always used buttermilk.  An eight-hour soak would be ideal.

2. After draining the brine, be sure to dry the chicken with paper towels before you dredge it.  This will help you get a nice even coating of flour.

3. Be sure to season your flour.  Salt and pepper is fine.  Since I’m from MD, I add Old Bay but if you have a favorite seasoning, you can add it.

4. Put seasoned flour in a plastic bag, add one piece of chicken at a time and give it a shake to evenly coat the chicken.  Repeat with remaining chicken.  Too much flour will give you a soggy crust.

5. Use the right pan.  You don’t need a deep pot.  I am lucky that I inherited my grandmother’s high sided cast-iron skillet which makes the chicken easy to turn.    It is important you choose a pan that you can cover.

6. Use an oil with a high smoke point.  Vegetable oil or peanut oil work for me.  My grandmother used Crisco.

7. Oil temperature is key.  Start with a very hot oil, 360 degrees.  It will cool when you add the chicken.  Maintain a temperature of 300 to 325. This will cook the chicken without burning the crust.

8. Add the chicken to the pan skin side down.

9. Do NOT crowd the pan.

10. Cover the pan with a lid to trap the heat.  This helps render the fat and water from the chicken for a crisp crust and evenly cooked meat.

11. Drain and allow to rest for a few minutes.

There are many recipes for fried chicken.  This one uses a deep fryer.  I’m sure you could also do it in a pan.  It also uses cornstarch which many recipes say gives you a crispier coating. 

https://www.thecountrycook.net/the-best-southern-fried-chicken/

The Best Southern Fried Chicken laid out on a parchment paper lined metal tray.

Chick-fil-A is one of the largest fast-food chains in America. (I believe it has branches in Canada too.)  It has a cult like following; every time you drive past one, it seems like the line wraps around the building.  If you like their chicken sandwiches, I recommend you give this recipe a try.  This Copycat Chick-fil-A Chicken Minis recipe only takes 35 minutes of hands-on time.   It does have some unusual ingredients.  I always save my pickle juice, but you could sub vinegar/water.  I did not use the powdered milk when I tested the recipe because I didn’t have any; it came out fine.   I suggest using Hawaiian or potato rolls.  https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/copycat-chick-fil-a-chicken-minis

Copycat Chick-fil-A Chicken Minis

Another “crispy chicken” could be schnitzel which is a thin slice of meat. The meat is usually thinned by pounding with a meat tenderizer. Breaded schnitzel is popular in many countries and is made using any type of meat, usually veal, pork, chicken, or turkey.  Here is a basic recipe.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/chicken-schnitzel-7515517

1569435370683.jpeg

I am going to conclude with a healthier recipe for crunchy BAKED chicken.  I think the key ingredient is the toasted panko; I rarely use traditional breadcrumbs anymore.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/magic-crispy-chicken

Image may contain Food Fried Chicken Nuggets Dish and Meal

• Like 33
  • Thanks 12

Good morning.

Thank you to Rich for the Fleet Report and Daily and to Roy for the list.

This is going to be short and sweet as we are going to have breakfast soon and get ready to hit the road.  YAY!

Prayers for those on the cares list, especially for those recently departed and condolences to the families of @rafinmdand @StLouisCruisers

Also @StLouisCruisershope your leg is feeling better today.

Prayers for those who have not been in touch for a while.  Hope they are doing okay.

@dfishHope you are enjoying your cruise.

@smitty34877Welcome home and hope Tana is doing okay

@marshhawkprayers for your DH as he undergoes biopsy.

And prayers for everyone else who needs them.

@dobiemom Welcome home.  Hope you had a great cruise.

Good collection of days.  I love Ice Cream.  Especially Sea Salt Caramel—my newest favorite. 

Wrong way Corrigan—Well, sometimes going the wrong way helps you discover new and interesting places.  

Emojis—I’m not real good at them.  Always trying to figure out what they mean.

Love the quote.

The meal looks good, but we will be eating out today on our way to Williamsburg.

The wine looks good and the price is right

Have not been to the port.

Cheers to all those celebrating, vacationing and cruising.  Enjoy and stay safe.  Please pray that we have a safe drive to Virginia.  

Have a great Sunday everyone and and God Bless,

Terri

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

Morning all and thanks for the update. I will happily celebrate ice cream day. 
     Well, the day certainly won’t be spent as planned. My brother already spoke to Nationwide and the call dropped 3 times. We need to go visit the lot it was towed to and get things out of the car. Tomorrow we will go talk to the agent .

4CB8AFA2-3132-4D05-84B9-E81763A964AE.jpeg

66DA6F3C-0111-40A0-B785-153C02A243B5.jpeg

DD329207-73A8-4F80-8F7E-C908E7280EE4.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 18

It’ll be interesting to see if this posts.  I’ve been having some difficulties with the internet on the ship.  And it just as well I decided not to do a Live From, if the internet is going to misbehave all the time!  But we’re having a good time!  We had about 60 at the Meet & Greet, out of 90 who signed up, which I guess is a pretty good percentage.  The Captain came for a little while, also the CD, Bettyann, and Csaba, who is now Beverage Manager, and I guess will be moving around, and the Cellar Master, Miki, and there is a rumour there will be a Cellar Master dinner, in the Canaletto….?

we eventually found Pat’s bag at Copenhagen airport, thanks to the AirTag.  It was under a pile of bags on the floor, unceremoniously dumped off one of the carousels, completely hidden.  Absolute chaos there, but the ground staff, including HAL’s were so helpful, and eventually got us on a bus for the ship, arriving in time for lunch.   We were worn out.

We keep finding staff we know from past cruises.   Very happy to greet us, and compare notes.

Now I have to see if I can get Pat signed on in the Navigator and if he can bump me to use the internet….

Prayed for you all at Mass yesterday, the chaplain is from Boston. 

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 7

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Ice cream is in the freezer so we can celebrate that today.  @0106 thank you for the recipes.  Fried chicken is always a hit here.  We went out for breakfast this morning and we are planning on getting takeout for dinner.  The restaurant for dinner had a bus drive up it’s front steps so I’m waiting to see if they will be open or if we need alternate plans.  Today is our 18th wedding anniversary which also somewhat marks 28 years together.  Time certainly flies.  After yesterday’s sticker and supply shock at the pet store I’m off to Walmart to get some food for the kids.  I hope that everyone has a good day today.

image.thumb.png.a5f48a49d33aff6a163faf3a3295dce0.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Rich.

Ice cream - yum - I can celebrate that.  Maritime Sea Salt Caramel in the freezer 😉 I get turned around all the time and go the wrong way but not as successful as D. Corrigan 😉.  I am probably one of those that use too many emoji’s at times so I guess by not changing today I will be celebrating World Emoji day.

I love that quote by Helen Keller.  @0106great suggestion on fried chicken, thanks.  I’m with you on the Panko crumbs 😉 

@erewhonI attempted to measure that ridiculously tall monkshood this morning.  It is more than 10’ high!  It has never been more than 1/2 way the height of the pergola before.  It’s past the roof now 😬 

nice to hear from Ann @Vict0riann - so glad Pat had his bag and to hear Czaba is on board 👍 Nice to hear of staff appearances at the Meet and Greet and a Cellar Master dinner - woo hoo!  Do let us know if it happens please and your impressions.  If it is held in the Canaletto that is a different location for sure.  Ann, I know you will appreciate this one 😉 

47D0513C-D0BA-4813-BD53-0FECA7317032.jpeg.d5af07624ee37c61d5ba238020022a72.jpeg

My thoughts and prayers are with @rafinmd & @StLouisCruisersas they grieve.

Well, I got a surprise yesterday.  I was watering my plants and one of my hanging baskets looked very sad.  It made no sense since it had been bottled (water with bottles so they drip) and was fine before.  When I put the hose on it and looked in, it appeared that the roots were exposed in the earth.  WTH?  Took a bit out and uh oh.

75C09D0B-4A0A-4AD7-BEB3-9FE5D5471200.thumb.jpeg.9c522c9b4c2e9c849237559c4f3c1ed7.jpeg

Yes, my Mexican birds are at it again.  I hope the watering didn’t upset things.  I’m wondering if the nest is by one of their offspring as it’s not a usual location.  They normally nest in a much bigger pot thick with plants like the Mexican planter here on the bench.

DD70ABC7-7E5F-4CC6-BFE5-90B53FAAB46F.thumb.jpeg.7d5d5a2a7317f092903ec1f9f163e157.jpeg

Or in a high hanging basket out front like these.

C95EDFCE-3C6C-47D9-A933-93278661E4CD.thumb.jpeg.de3ea73620c10d625643d2724865b1b8.jpeg

Instead, the nest is in a low hanging basket which is only 14”.  

D0B0E63B-B0F7-4C01-90E5-C9A1AA02E224.thumb.jpeg.2a64809914edc4e6b2425d10c51cb42f.jpeg

The birds are really tiny and so are their nests.  I always put my fingers in the hanging baskets now before bottling them to make sure there are no babies moving around 😉 

What will be will be I guess.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.  Have a great Sunday everyone !!!!!

CE7ED526-8381-4D93-8A19-7BCCF8B4A289.gif.25c60e02e7e97b7395335522cc9d3d9a.gif

Stay safe and please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 37
  • Thanks 4

19 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

It’ll be interesting to see if this posts.  I’ve been having some difficulties with the internet on the ship.  And it just as well I decided not to do a Live From, if the internet is going to misbehave all the time!  But we’re having a good time!  We had about 60 at the Meet & Greet, out of 90 who signed up, which I guess is a pretty good percentage.  The Captain came for a little while, also the CD, Bettyann, and Csaba, who is now Beverage Manager, and I guess will be moving around, and the Cellar Master, Miki, and there is a rumour there will be a Cellar Master dinner, in the Canaletto….?

we eventually found Pat’s bag at Copenhagen airport, thanks to the AirTag.  It was under a pile of bags on the floor, unceremoniously dumped off one of the carousels, completely hidden.  Absolute chaos there, but the ground staff, including HAL’s were so helpful, and eventually got us on a bus for the ship, arriving in time for lunch.   We were worn out.

We keep finding staff we know from past cruises.   Very happy to greet us, and compare notes.

Now I have to see if I can get Pat signed on in the Navigator and if he can bump me to use the internet….

Prayed for you all at Mass yesterday, the chaplain is from Boston. 

I'm really pleased you found Pat's bag.

Your air tag certainly helped you if his bag was under a lot of other baggage.

I hope you both have an amazing cruise Ann.

Graham.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good morning  to all.It is 80% in the humidity  department and we felt it earlier on our dog walk.Oh my, we could use a nice sea breeze.

Ice cream certainly deserves a day but emojis are sometimes  hard to figure out. We have not been to Japan but would love pictures.

I spoke to my niece(Camillas Grandma) last night and her husband was admitted to the hospital where he works .He was in a picture  with the baby a few weeks ago.He is on oxygen but in a regular room.The rest of the covid sufferers( Camilla and parents) are much better.

@Cruzin Terri,enjoy your trip to Williamsburg  and visiting with friends. Tana had a hard time last week due to the high temperatures.This old house tries hard but the room air conditioners stuggle to keep up. We had extra help but cooking/meal prep was not a strong suit so my dinner last night was a hit! Thanks Tina @0106! We loved the chicken florentine  with the low carb recipe. I will save the baked chicken included today for a less hot  day.

I made pasta and bean soup yesterday  for my vegetarians and have a lentil soup request for tonight. We are odd here and enjoy soup throughout the year.

@1ANGELCAT,so sorry about your brother's  car.I hope he has no after effects from the accident. 

@StLouisCruisers,Sandi , my brother and my son both reported leg pain similar  to yours for several weeks after their covid bouts.DS is a runner  and was unable to run for almost 2 months.I hope your pain is less soon.

Terry

• Like 29
  • Thanks 6

16 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Ice cream is in the freezer so we can celebrate that today.  @0106 thank you for the recipes.  Fried chicken is always a hit here.  We went out for breakfast this morning and we are planning on getting takeout for dinner.  The restaurant for dinner had a bus drive up it’s front steps so I’m waiting to see if they will be open or if we need alternate plans.  Today is our 18th wedding anniversary which also somewhat marks 28 years together.  Time certainly flies.  After yesterday’s sticker and supply shock at the pet store I’m off to Walmart to get some food for the kids.  I hope that everyone has a good day today.

Happy 18th wedding anniversary.

Screenshot_20210822_162032.jpg

• Like 18

22 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

• Like 20