Id For Boarding - Lost License

Where are you sailing to? 

Assuming it's a US sailing, and he's a US citizen, the travel requirements per the RCI website are attached below.  The photo ID must be govt issued, so If he went to a State College/University, his college ID should suffice.  Private college ... he'd be taking his chances at the pier. ( Doesn't say the govt issued ID has to be current so an expired passport should work)

What travel documents do I need to board a Royal Caribbean cruise ship (U.S. Citizens)?

A

For US Sailings 

U.S. Citizens may sail using their:

• Official US Birth Certificate and a supporting Government Issued Photo ID, like a driver’s license or an identity card. Please note that hospital Birth Certificates (baby feet Birth Certificates) are not accepted.

or

• U.S. Passport book that is valid at least 6 months after your cruise. 
    • Lastly, below are details if you need additional information about your passport.
      • Visit the United Sates Department of State travel information website.
      • Visa Central is the passport and visa service provider that we recommend. When you contact Visa Central, reference our account 44988 for reduced service fees. Contact Visa Central:

Edited by mapleleaves

5 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

High School photo ID would be accepted for older teens 16-18.  Not everyone drives, and during the pandemic, a lot of kids couldn't do driver's ed.

But anybody can get a state ID!  I am always surprised at kids who don’t have ID, if you’re old enough to be alone and faint and have someone need to find out who you are, you’re old enough to have an ID 🙂 (I guess I hope those kids do have their school ids) 

8 hours ago, brillohead said:

Also, as I discovered, Illinois is one of the states that lists your weight on your license for all the world to see….

😳😱 Thank goodness Florida doesn’t.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, molly361 said:

Can he get a state ID card ?

The post just literally said, he lost his DL.  A state ID card is used only if you don't have a license, and getting one is like getting a license, so why?

For the poster, did he go to the DMV?  Some states issue it on the spot like in Florida.   If not, get a temp license at the DMV which is a paper, and bring an issued photo ID such as college card.  

Does the state also have an electronic version of the license?  Many state have that option.

9 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

High School photo ID would be accepted for older teens 16-18.  Not everyone drives, and during the pandemic, a lot of kids couldn't do driver's ed.

Pandemic has nothing to do with getting a DL and did not prevent people from getting one.  Not to mention, it's been over now for a year.

9 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

You can get a state id that’s not a drivers license

3 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Pandemic has nothing to do with getting a DL and did not prevent people from getting one.  Not to mention, it's been over now for a year.

The pandemic did and still does impact this in a lot of areas.  My stepson had to go to Western Mass, over two hours away, to secure an appointment to get his permit. Even now, DMVs here are by appointment only, so there isn't a good last minute option.

While the pandemic has been over (but certainly not for a year), the impact on the workforce, particularly at state agencies is still being felt.

Edited by leisuretraveler223
  • Like 3

Here in SC we do same day issue.  But, some DMV offices are notoriously busy/slow,.  We actually drove to another town/dmv and walked right in and out in getting with a new "Real ID" DL.  Unless you get in line at 7:00 (they don't open until 8:30), the wait at the nearest office can be several hours.

My thought would be an old passport picture still qualifies as a government issued ID.  It never said anything about a non-expired government ID.  Of course, if he had the picture when he was 13 and now 22 it probably wouldn't work.

16 hours ago, frisbeewife said:

Going to the dmv is possible if he can get off work. And his passport is too old to use. 

im on the phone with Royal now but I’m pretty sure he’ll have to get to the dmv. 

Check and see if there is a same-day passport service in his area.  If so, that'll probably be your best bet.  It'll cost, but it'll work.

I don't think the DMV is an option at this point.  Just a quick look seems to indicate that it takes 7-10 days (at least) to get a photo ID done in Florida (assuming that's where he is).

11 hours ago, brillohead said:

Also, as I discovered, Illinois is one of the states that lists your weight on your license for all the world to see.  Having lived in Michigan (which records your weight for law enforcement records access but doesn't print it on your license) for over half a century, this was a VERY rude awakening for me.  I might have to move back to Michigan!

Ohio has always printed the weight on the license, but now that you mention it I see it has been removed from the current Ohio license and it only shows the height. Not that they ever weighed you at the BMV, but they did occasionally issue an incredulous side-eye when self-reporting your weight.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, johnjen said:

I'd have expected that a 22yo would have a passport. 

Mine doesn't. 

He got his at 15yo, and it expired five years later.  He's in the Army and unable to cruise or leave the country other than deployment (which doesn't use a passport), so no need to renew it when it expired, as it would have been wasted money.

18 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

In the last two states I have lived in they won't issue them at the DMV. They will only mail them.

Yep, my state is the same.  When you get your new license, they send you away with a printed paper (no picture, if I remember correctly) and your "real license" comes in the mail about 10 days later.  

Last time I had my license renewed, I forgot I had the paper, and I handed over my old license at the bank ... they refused it, saying it was expired.  I fumbled around in my purse, brought out the printed paper, which they accepted.  

17 hours ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

FOUND IT !!!  

Best possible answer! 

3 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

If he is 22 with an expired passport, how old was he when the passport was issued?  I doubt that “photo i.d.”  means “childhood photo”.

My grandson is 9 months old.  His passport is his newborn picture, which no longer looks anything like him -- but it's legal. 

11 minutes ago, poocher said:

Apparently a few people here have forgotten their youth.  Mine was somewhat misspent.  There were times I could have easily lost an important document.  

And in their youth may not even realize that any given document IS important.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Tennessee only gives you a temporary license at least for a new one when we moved here in 2018.  Not sure if you are renewing it.  

I am in Tennessee also and had to renew in person due to my age/new photo 🤫recently. They printed mine at the DMV but when I renewed online before it was mailed.  Of course, I was doing the Real ID this time around too so that may have made a difference.

19 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Won’t they only give him a temporary license, there isn’t a picture.  My daughter went yesterday to the DMV.  Maybe he can bring expired passport with picture along with temp license.

May be a dumb question, but don't you have to have a valid passport to cruise?

2 minutes ago, mitz18 said:

May be a dumb question, but don't you have to have a valid passport to cruise?

You need proof of citizenship and ID.  A passport is both of these so it is the best option. But, for US citizens on closed-loop cruises from the US visiting most other countries, a certified birth certificate with a raised seal issued by a government agency can be used for proof of citizenship along with a government-issued photo ID (such as a driver's license).  

• Like 1