Lanyard/Seapass card question

We’re going on our FIRST cruise next month (had one booked for March 2020, lol). I have many questions about Seapass cards and lanyards. Hubby usually wears resort shorts, and they have a zipper pocket, so I don’t think he’ll wear one at all. But for me, what’s the best kind? I have Disney ones from pin trading, so those work? And what’s with people talking about punching a hole in the lanyard pocket? How do the cards work? Mag stripe/RFID/barcode? 

Plus, I’m not too crazy about wearing a lanyard around my neck all day, due to neck issues I have (weight doesn’t really matter, it’s the having anything hanging on, lol). What are non-lanyard options?

We have the DBP so I’ll need my card pretty frequently 😝

I have the kind with a hook at the bottom. The hole is punched in the card not the lanyard. Some do the kind with a plastic pouch but then you have to take it out and in. I am afraid I'd lay it down. I have several kinds but use the regular. It has a snap so the bottom part with the card can snap off if you want to buy a drink. Doesnt take 2 hands to open my cabin door.

I have a curly kind for the wrist but when I eat I tend to take it off so it's not in the way of food. 

Everyone is different. I also have a cruise purse just the size of a paperback I have with me for other stuff like a hairbrush. I dont take my large purse around on cruises. 

Here is my cruise critic lanyard for cc brownie pts? See how the card has a hole punched in it. Also a ss of the card snapped off, so you dont have to pull it over your head and mess your hair.

20220804_170307.jpg

20220804_170237.jpg

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are a lot of different opinions about wearing a lanyard. I think they make you look like you’re at a convention. However some people love them. Anyway I just carry a small Crossbody bag if I don’t have an outfit on with pockets. That way I can carry a Chapstick and my card and anything else I think it’s necessary. I usually take some cash in case I want to tip anyone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

They used to have the WOW bands, which are wristbands that you could wear that would replace the SeaPass cards. I used them on Anthem a few years ago and found them to be extremely handy instead of carrying around the SeaPass cards. I think, however, that it went away during COVID and hasn't returned yet.

Some people that had it from past cruises said they were able to reprogram it for their current cruise, though, so maybe if you find a used one on eBay or something that could be a solution if the ship you'll be sailing on supports it.

Edited by PQI
Add the detail that not all ships support it.
  • Thanks 1

I hate wearing lanyards, someone gave me a link last year on how to make a bracelet with a small clip that the hole in the card fit on. Worked great for us girls  last year. Yes I did take it off when eating and we had a magnetic hook for each person right inside the door that our masks and bracelets hung on when we got back to the stateroom.   

Edited by mauraoel
  • Thanks 1

I have a real cautiousness of personal security. So I never wear a lanyard around my neck.  On ship, I put it in a small purse with my camera as it serves as my credit card or room key so I take it with me. Besides, I don’t want to have competition with jewelry 😁

On land I will put sea pass in the plastic covering in a lanyard and then loop the lanyard around my purse handle and tuck it into my purse then zip the purse.  It cannot be pick pocketed or dropped and is available for security on and off the ship. I also have looped the lanyard around a belt loop and put it into my front pocket  but it is fastened to my waist.    Sounds a bit crazy….my concern is identification security as well as accessibility for me to retrieve.  

Edited by CRUIS4ME
  • Like 1

I used a retractable badge holder that I can clip on a belt loop. It's great to extend and show it to someone if need be. Also you can tuck it away in a pocket and not worry about it falling out of your packet.

https://www.amazon.com/Retractable-Holders-Carabiner-Vertical-Kevlar/dp/B07KGQQHCJ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=39DLBM4PISR6P&keywords=retractable+badge+holders&qid=1659667587&sprefix=Retractable%2Caps%2C102&sr=8-5

• Like 1

I used a lanyard wallet on our last couple of cruises which I found very handy. It works well to hold your sea pass card as well as any cash you might want to have on hand for tips, etc. They are pretty lightweight, but the strap can easily be wrapped around your wrist a few times if you don't want it hanging on your neck all day. Lot of fun designs to choose from too...

https://www.amazon.com/Zip-Case-Lanyard-Fashion-Wallet/dp/B08KW4836F/ref=sr_1_10?crid=HDJS0PBQR7IX&keywords=tropical%2Blanyard%2Bwallet&qid=1659669691&sprefix=tropical%2Blanuard%2Caps%2C107&sr=8-10&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Lilly-Pulitzer-Keychain-Durable-Cocktail/dp/B09418Q779/ref=sr_1_24?crid=1ZN21S9ZG7ZW&keywords=beach%2Bthemed%2Bwallet%2Blanyard&qid=1659671034&sprefix=beach%2Blanyard%2Bwallet%2Caps%2C105&sr=8-24&th=1

• Like 1

3 hours ago, davekathy said:

No lanyards or fanny packs for us. :classic_rolleyes:

Oh, I'll be proudly wearing my lanyard which will be carrying my SeaPass, Passport, and a printed and laminated copy of the day's Cruise Compass.  It will be a great compliment to my denim fanny pack, jogging shorts, Lynyrd Skynyrd T-shirt, and flipflops with white socks - see you in the MDR!

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, rudeney said:

Oh, I'll be proudly wearing my lanyard which will be carrying my SeaPass, Passport, and a printed and laminated copy of the day's Cruise Compass.  It will be a great compliment to my denim fanny pack, jogging shorts, Lynyrd Skynyrd T-shirt, and flipflops with white socks - see you in the MDR!

So that was you I saw on our last cruise. 😁

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

It depends on the ship. Some are RFID, some are magnetic.

Ours were barcode on the back when we were just on the Navigator two weeks ago.  But it depending on the venue.  The bar scanned the mag strip, getting off/on they scanned the barcode with a handheld gun, as did the shops.  At AO they slid the mag strip on a handheld tablet to check in/out the kids.    

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

On 8/4/2022 at 2:42 PM, smogfarmgirl said:

We’re going on our FIRST cruise next month (had one booked for March 2020, lol). I have many questions about Seapass cards and lanyards. Hubby usually wears resort shorts, and they have a zipper pocket, so I don’t think he’ll wear one at all. But for me, what’s the best kind? I have Disney ones from pin trading, so those work? And what’s with people talking about punching a hole in the lanyard pocket? How do the cards work? Mag stripe/RFID/barcode? 

Plus, I’m not too crazy about wearing a lanyard around my neck all day, due to neck issues I have (weight doesn’t really matter, it’s the having anything hanging on, lol). What are non-lanyard options?

We have the DBP so I’ll need my card pretty frequently 😝

Will you be carrying a small Crossbody purse? That’s what I do so I will be putting my card in my purse along with my phone.

4 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Will you be carrying a small Crossbody purse? That’s what I do so I will be putting my card in my purse along with my phone.

I hadn’t planned on it, I love the freedom of not carrying anything! But after reading everything,  I might, at least for some times. 

• Like 1