The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday August 19th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Aviation Day, National Potato Day, and World Humanitarian Day

Sometimes you have to be apart from people you love, but that doesn't make you love them any less. Sometimes you love them more.--Nicholas Sparks, The Last Song

Meal Suggestion for today - Fried Catfish
Drink of the Day - Tokyo Collins
Wine of the Day - Devlanee Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand SOT
Destination of the Day - Rijeka, Croatia

Eurodam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island, BC Canada 20:00 - 23:59

Koningsdam

Scenic Cruising The Inside Passage

Nieuw Amsterdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Statendam

Nanortalik, Greenland 09:00 - 16:00

Noordam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 11:00 - 19:00

Oosterdam

Korcula Island, Korcula, Croatia 08:00 - 16:00

Rotterdam

Bergen, Norway 08:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 13:00

Zaandam

Quebec City, Canada 07:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

Tracy Arm & Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 22:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0819World.thumb.png.c245bc24304b4e8640787368b56d0e9e.png

• Like 33
  • Thanks 10

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida. 

Excellent quote, I've read a few Nicholas Sparks books and have enjoyed them on recommendations from my DW.

Another good selection of days even though we refuse to travel on airplanes. 

Catfish is pretty good but only when fried so we don't eat it a lot, maybe 3 or 4 times a year.

We've been to Croatia but only to Dubrovnik.

Early tee time today.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Friday Fleet and Daily Report.

I love potatoes.  Fried, baked, mashed or scalloped, I love 'em.🙂 

A big thank you to humanitarians and aviators.

Love the quote.

I've never had catfish.

I'm sure I'll like the wine.

We've never been to today's port, thanks for all the pictures that will be posted.

It's a beautiful day here, sunny and a high of 28C (82F).

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.   Stay safe.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.

It is sunny and 70°F now.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

A good selection of days.

Croatia is a lovely country but we have never been to today's port.

Not sure about today's food but today's wine sounds nice.

Prayers for everyone who is unwell and for Shadow to be found.

Take care everyone and hopefully we all have a great weekend.

Graham 

• Like 28

Happy Friday Morning Dailyites!  I'm up early as I have an eye appointment this morning.  Pretty sure that they will change the prescription this year.

I love potatoes.  While being diabetic and not supposed to eat them, my dietician said they have less carbs when they are in potato salad, something about the cooking, and chilling.  So I do enjoy potato  salad.  With white potatoes or sweet potatoes.

Aviation Day in wonderful.  I love going to the local airport and checking out the small planes.  I haven t done that since covid started, as the airport got very busy and they have changed the landing route to going over our house.  DH was Air Force, from a family of Air Force.  He loves to fly...me , enh, not so much.  I just love planes.

I hope you all have a wonderful fabulous day!

May-your-coffee-be-strong-and-your-friday-short-cat-meme-7568.png

• Like 33

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion, I’m not big on fish although cod is ok.  @1ANGELCAT I hope that Fluff is feeling better.  Today promises to be a busy work day.  I will take a break for my annual doctor visit this afternoon.  I hope everyone has a nice day today.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks for the update. 
Fluff is sleeping , just got the pain medication in her, she’s not happy. She managed to go upstairs during the night and to her favorite hiding spot. We need to look for a cat onsie today, so she can remove the cone. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.🙏❤️🐾

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the fleet update and other things.

Two great days today. National Aviation Day and National Potato Day.

My dad was aviator in WWII and Korean and flew until 70.

My favorite potato is Mr. Potato Head! Oh no, Mr has been dropped and has become gender neutral. But I know when I see Potato Head I know which sex it is. It’s not call small fry for nothing 😀.

• Like 13
  • Haha 16

12 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good morning and thanks for the update. 
Fluff is sleeping , just got the pain medication in her, she’s not happy. She managed to go upstairs during the night and to her favorite hiding spot. We need to look for a cat onsie today, so she can remove the cone. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.🙏❤️🐾

I have to put the cone on Amelia from time to time when she has a flare up of her bum.  When she won’t stop licking and I scold her she hisses at me.  When she’s coned her personality changes.  She’s more friendly, like see daddy I’m a good girl now remove the cone and I’ll be good.

• Like 20
  • Haha 10

Thank you for the TGIF report, Rich.  I love all 3 days although I do not like to fly.  I love the Sparks quote as well but have not been to Croatia.  Since I don't eat seafood I'll pass on the meal.   My alternative is (appropriate for National Potato Day) is Dive-In fries which was part of my lunch on MS Statendam August 19, 2014 while we were in Glacier Bay.

I've made a pot of decaf and finished half my morning walk so I'm taking a bit of time to relax.

Today’s care list:

Strength and healing (physical and emotional) for Kazu
RIP Cruisin Terri’s neighbor
Shadow missing
Tana with persistent problems although somewhat better
Fluff healing from surgery
ger_77,  DH, and DS with covid fatigue
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/11)
From the rotation:
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Heartgrove’s Sam severely declining
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam caring for refugees
Happy 75 and new car for 1Angelcat brother
Heartgrove meeting his grand daughter
ger_77's prescious “almost daughter”
New fur baby for Crazy for cats sister
ottahand7 successful self care
Tana starting t feel herself
Copper10_8 (Zaandam to 8/20) , Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam  to 8/27), Aliaschief (Rotterdam to 8/28),   Av8rix (Zuiderdam  to 8/31) and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 13

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich!  Another lovely morning. And boy did we have rain yesterday afternoon and evening. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Morning Dailyites. A really quick post for me this morning. I spent a bit too much time looking for our wine. Off to classes. 

045B6A7A-4166-4466-87B1-9F039F11B99A.jpeg.3a451f05ac1f219c08cc8bde00e29382.jpeg

Prayers for who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Devlanee Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand SOT

I have failed you all. My attempts have not brought up any info for this wine. But yet it exists and is on our list. And I have enjoyed every SB from New Zealand that I have tried. And their prices are usually very reasonable.

I am calling for reinforcements. 
@erewhon can you help us?

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 10

33 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the TGIF report, Rich.  I love all 3 days although I do not like to fly.  I love the Sparks quote as well but have not been to Croatia.  Since I don't eat seafood I'll pass on the meal.   My alternative is (appropriate for National Potato Day) is Dive-In fries which was part of my lunch on MS Statendam August 19, 2014 while we were in Glacier Bay.

I've made a pot of decaf and finished half my morning walk so I'm taking a bit of time to relax.

Today’s care list:

Strength and healing (physical and emotional) for Kazu
RIP Cruisin Terri’s neighbor
Shadow missing
Tana with persistent problems although somewhat better
Fluff healing from surgery
ger_77,  DH, and DS with covid fatigue
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/11)
From the rotation:
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Heartgrove’s Sam severely declining
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam caring for refugees
Happy 75 and new car for 1Angelcat brother
Heartgrove meeting his grand daughter
ger_77's prescious “almost daughter”
New fur baby for Crazy for cats sister
ottahand7 successful self care
Tana starting t feel herself
Copper10_8 (Zaandam to 8/20) , Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam  to 8/27), Aliaschief (Rotterdam to 8/28),   Av8rix (Zuiderdam  to 8/31) and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

We had a light lunch today.

Graham.

IMG_20220819_125323.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Happy Friday.  We are making a trip to Iron Mountain to the nearest Walmart.  We are going to stock up on some house hold stuff so we don't have to use precious space in the truck next spring when we return.  All our promised rain never materialized. Perhaps tomorrow.   My finger is healing well and I am keeping a bandaid on it for a while.  

Thanks for the reports. I'll pass on the catfish, wait on the cocktail and we love NZ Sauvignon Blanc.  Potatoes are a favorite here too though we have been having sweet corn more lately since it is in season.  Prayers for all on our Care list.  Prayers for those in Ukraine where Putin is causing mischief with nuclear power. 🙏🇺🇦 Have a great day!

• Like 31

Good morning, everyone.

It is a chilly start to the day but should warm up nicely.  I like chilly for doing my morning laps.  All of the talk yesterday of smoke detectors inspired me.  I ordered a new one that is a smoke/carbon monoxide detector.  The one that came with the house had seen better days.  I'm prepping the kitchen and dining room to paint today.  Should be loads of fun!  

Today's meal is a tribute to the south.  Southern fried catfish is hard to pass up.  

Catfish have widely been caught and farmed for food for hundreds of years in Africa, Asia, Europe, and North America. Judgments as to the quality and flavor vary, with some food critics considering catfish excellent to eat, while others dismiss them as watery and lacking in flavor.  Catfish is high in vitamin D. Farm-raised catfish contains low levels of omega-3 fatty acids and a much higher proportion of omega-6 fatty acids.

In Central Europe, catfish were often viewed as a delicacy to be enjoyed on feast days and holidays. Migrants from Europe and Africa to the United States brought along this tradition, and in the Southern United States, catfish is an extremely popular food.

The most commonly eaten species in the United States are the channel catfish and the blue catfish, both of which are common in the wild and increasingly widely farmed. Farm-raised catfish became such a staple of the U.S. diet that President Ronald Reagan established National Catfish Day on June 25, 1987 to recognize "the value of farm-raised catfish."

Catfish is eaten in a variety of ways. In Europe, it is often cooked in similar ways to carp, but in the United States it is popularly crumbed with cornmeal and fried.

Fried catfish is generally made with a cornmeal coating.  The seasonings in the cornmeal coating vary with some only using salt and pepper and others use quite a variety of seasonings.   This first one uses mainly peppers.  https://grandbaby-cakes.com/fried-catfish/

694096274_friedcatfish1.thumb.jpg.324afa3031a457e6699d100c8fc94a5e.jpg

In this next recipe the catfish is soaked in buttermilk to start.  They call for using fine white cornmeal.  https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/fried_catfish/

1765618479_friedcatfish2.thumb.jpg.1fb79ce3e294565d8c693c54c9c1e61e.jpg

This next one uses Old Bay seasoning in the cornmeal coating.  https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/140930/southern-fried-catfish/

851980051_friedcatfish3.jpg.5280fdee109c4c47faff60826504b7e3.jpg

Finally, we have an entry from Alton Brown.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/southern-fried-catfish-recipe-1918997

1567877256_friedcatfish5.jpeg.3541542e8e08baebe7a2c7c232b6981b.jpeg

Fried catfish needs hushpuppies and coleslaw.  Here is a recipe for the hushpuppies.  https://therecipecritic.com/homemade-hush-puppies/

hushpuppies.thumb.jpg.cb55b051d17fa5c8f291cfd94b3c541b.jpg

And coleslaw!  https://www.spendwithpennies.com/best-coleslaw-recipe/

Coleslaw.thumb.jpg.d3cbf508f2b600a10ff2d3c6f707ac45.jpg

Wishing everyone a wonderful day!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 14

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  Love potatoes in any form, especially chips!  I enjoy watching the jets from our roof deck as they take off and land at Logan.  So much so that I have an app that tells all of the details about each one.  Hats off to humanitarian day! I like the meal and drink suggestions.  I can attest to today’s quote as my family all live in Michigan; distance really does make the heart grow fonder!  I haven’t been to today’s port yet.  Prayers for everyone on our list today.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events!  Happy Friday.

• Like 30

Good Friday morning to all of you.

Thank you for the Daily and the Fleet Report to Rich.

Hats off to Aviators,.  They get us where we want to and need to go.  I like potatoes in most forms. And we need to be more humane.

I don’t think I have ever had catfish, but would be open to trying it.  

Not sure about the drink and will take a pass on the wine, since there is no info on it.

Love the quote.

I have been to both Split and Dubrovnik but not the port mentioned today.

Yesterday, DH and I got our fourth Covid vaccines.  It knocked me out.  i slept for 10 hours last night.

That’s a lot of sleeping for me.  Still feel like I was run over by a truck.

Thank you for your condolences for my neighbor. I appreciate it.

Another neighbor has tested positive for Covid for 11 days straight.  She is caring for a husband with dementia.  He cannot understand that he has to stay away from her.  She is having an awful time of it I got some food for her while we were out yesterday.  I hope she gets over this soon.  11 days is a long time.

I don’t know how much energy I am going to have today.  It may be a good day to watch the Downton Abbey Movie i bought a few weeks ago.

Prayers for all on the cares list and cheers to those celebrating and cruising.  Stay safe.

Have a great day.

God Bless,

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Toyko Collins Cocktail:

Ingredients
1 ½ parts Suntory Roku® Gin
1 part Lemon Juice
½ part Simple Syrup
2 parts Club Soda
Garnish: Cherry, Lemon Slice

Instructions
Combine Suntory Roku® Gin, lemon juice and simple syrup in an ice-filled shaker and shake until well chilled. Strain into a Collins glass over fresh ice, and top with soda. Garnish with a cherry and lemon slice.

Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 8.37.24 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 8

Good morning friends!  It's about 70F and very cloudy with some fog intermixed in the treetops.  We are supposed to have rain today but they say that every day in August it seems like.  Our high is predicted to only be 77.  Thanks Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  I also love potatoes!  I used to love flying but not so much anymore, but still appreciate aviation for all its benefits to mankind.  World Humanitarian Day sounds like a very worthy celebration.  I like the quote a lot since my family is all far from our my home, and remember my parents preparing fried catfish as a kid.  Seemed like it had a very fishy taste which I do not enjoy.  But Debbie's @dfishpictures look very good, and the cole slaw does as well.  Debbie, good luck with all the painting.  I'm sure it will freshen up the house and help with the sale.  Strange how we live with our homes, then when we put them on the market, do all the little updates that we will never enjoy.  Sad but necessary.

Graham @grapau27your light lunch looks good, especially the cole slaw (seeing a trend here).  I wonder, do you have any big plans for this weekend?😉

Ann @cat shepardthanks for looking so hard for a description of the wine.  I'm sure it would be a delicious wine.  I like most Sauvignon Blancs.

The port of Rijeka, Croatia sounds like a great one.  We have visited several Croatian ports and love them but never Rijeka!  It was posted here a long time ago, March 29, 2021, and is on page 57 of Rich's posting activity.  Here is a link for those wanting to retrieve their previously posted photos.

Thank you Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration lists.  Cheers to the happy people going on cruises, visiting family, or welcoming grandbabies to their families.  Prayers for all on the Care list. I especially hope that Shadow has been found.  Prayers for Jacqui and Little Shadow both!  Hoping Tana is feeling better now and everyone is regaining strength, slowly but surely.  Also don't want to forget the Ukrainians!  They continue to need our support and love.

Since I have no photos of Rejika, Croatia to post I will show you a new quilt my DD had made for DGD Morgan.  It was her 20th birthday July 26, and she flew home to Cincinnati for a week's visit recently.  The quilt is made up of Morgan's cheerleading squad T-shirts and sweatshirts which she no longer wears.  The team went to ESPN Wide World of Sports in Orlando several times to compete in cheerleading competitions.  Morgan loves quilts/blankets/throws or anything else she can find to snuggle under so this was a perfect choice.  Morgan attends university in Tampa so I doubt she gets too, too cold there, but some of us are cold all the time, right?

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJZTxgNK8L5Db_h_2viYeFuKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1660415945

That's all for now.  Have a great day!

• Like 35
  • Thanks 5

I like potatoes but seldom have them. I did drink a New Zealand sauvignon blanc, although not that one, on Monday in a restaurant in Cherry Valley, NY.

In honor of Aviation Day, here are photos (from the EAA, which owns it) of the Ford TriMotor in which I flew on an excursion flight a few years ago.

2080803377_11x14Trimotor1.jpg.83ffcdc267728257fba004a2f188fba3.jpg997156844_FordTM01Final49571jpgENGINEMOUNT.jpg.4c7fedb50f147f1b6b022f8d0af099c5.jpgTriMotorInterior.jpg.3b58f2e2a0b716bca5fd63057b23cf0b.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1