The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday August 21st, 2022

richwmn

Today is National Spumoni Day, Senior Citizen's Day, and National Poet's Day

There's nothing like deep breaths after laughing that hard. Nothing in the world like a sore stomach for the right reasons.--Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Meal Suggestion for today - Easy Stuffed Poblanos
Drink of the Day - Cran Apple Martini
wine of the Day - Raimund Prüm 2019 Solitär Trocken Riesling (Mose
Destination of the Day - Boston, Massachusetts, US

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 08/22

Koningsdam

Scenic Cruising The Inside Passage

Nieuw Amsterdam

Whittier, Alaska 01:00 - 22:00

Nieuw Statendam

St Anthony NL, Newfoundland-Labrador Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Noordam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:30

Oosterdam

Trieste, Italy - 16:00

Rotterdam

Rotterdam, Netherlands 07:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Seattle, Washington 07:00 - 16:00

Zaandam

Quebec City, Canada 07:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0821World.thumb.png.817410d9ebd7e47b1fa801d26edee449.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 10

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

We had some rain yesterday and more in the forecast for today, I guess I'll take a rain jacket when Bertie and I go for a walk.

Great days.  My hubby loves Spumoni ice cream.  I don't feel like a senior citizen, but I'll take the discount 😁.    I like poetry.

Love the quote.  Laughing is a wonderful thing.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I'll pass on the drink and I hope the wine isn't too sweet.

I've never been to Boston, maybe someday.

Prayers for everyone.

Enjoy your Sunday.   Stay safe.

• Like 24

Good afternoon from NE coast of England.

Lovely church service this morning on the 10th Sunday after Trinity.

Thank you Rich for producing the daily and fleet reports.

Last week we were where the poet Wordsworth lived at Grasmere.

Today we are in Seaham where the poet Byron got married at Seaham hall.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

I said prayers for our care list friends at church today.

I hope everyone is well and have a safe and nice day.

Graham.

IMG_20220821_114346.jpg

Screenshot_20220821_115533_com.android.chrome.jpg

IMG-20220821-WA0002.jpg

IMG_20220821_120439.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 4

Cran Apple Martini Cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part DeKuyper® Pucker® Sour Apple Schnapps
1/2 part Pinnacle® Original Vodka
2 parts Cranberry Juice

Instructions
Add ingredients to an ice-filled shaker. Shake and strain into a chilled martini glass.

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 7.09.56 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 10

Good afternoon from Rotterdam, Netherlands. Pretty nice day and currently 72 F. We elected to stay on-board today and for awhile pretty much had the ship to ourselves. Per staff we can expect more guest this week then last. Last week we had 2600 and lot’s of families with kids and this week we have been told almost 2,800 guest.

Looks like a lot of repetitive programming as tonight’s movie is the same as  last Sunday and the menu in MDR is the same. Makes you wonder why,  when many of us booked this as a 14 day cruise?

We have cruised into Boston a few times and I went to college there so pretty familiar with area. My first military assignment after training was at Otis AFB on Cape Cod.

Tonight we start the week off with dinner in Pinnacle. 

Thanks for the Fleet Report and all who contribute.

Have a great week.

Bruce

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich!A lovely early morning with Venus very visible in our early morning sky. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Cheers to my F&B department members! Morning Dailyites! Gym, groceries & pool time will fill my day. Today’s wine just might win the prize for the most convoluted name. 

221C5483-77D6-4399-A5B5-866110125DF3.jpeg.4fa9ff37b6937ff9cf8539ddffad70bb.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Raimund Prüm 2019 Solitär Trocken Riesling - Mosel

The name was a bit distorted by some computer algorithm not recognizing a certain accent, but it is still a wild name. But it has some fans and is reasonably priced, though a bit elusive. A few online distributors with prices starting at $13.99.

Winemaker Notes

Medium lemon in color. On the nose, highly aromatic with peach, orange, lemon, papaya, pineapple and mineral notes. A dry style (trocken), the palate nuances a vibrant and racy tone with layer of tropical, stone and citrus fruit perfectly balanced and precise.

Can be enjoyed on its own or with a range of appetizers, salads, white meats, seafood dishes, spicy cuisine or cheeses.

WE92 Wine Enthusiast
Perfumed, sunny notes of mango, guava and honeydew lend tropical flair to this dry but intensely fruity Riesling. It's svelte and steely on the palate yet hedonistic and thirst quenching too, with a finish that's long and intently mineral.
Best Buy
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 2

Thank you Rich for the Sunday report and Graham for the latest word from Father David.  I like all 3 of today's days but am a bit confused by the quote,  Boston is a great city; embarked MS Veendam there twice and spent a month there at a Northeastern University seminar as well as many other visits.  Noted earlier this morning that MS Oosterdam in Trieste is just a stone's throw from my beloved Crystal Symphony and Serenity.  Not into spicy so I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Blueberry Soup and Grilled Strip Loin as served on MS Veendam August 21, 2013.

Today’s care list:

HAL Sailer Sister in Law with metasticizing mole
Tana with persistent problems although somewhat better
Fluff healing from surgery
Atrex6 Father severely declining
ger_77 and  DH with covid fatigue
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/11)
From the rotation:
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Heartgrove’s Sam severely declining
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome Skicruiser55
51st anniversary of cruisin single’s wedding
Safety and a new loving home for Shadow
Volendam caring for refugees
ger_77's prescious “almost daughter”
New fur baby for Crazy for cats sister
Norseh20 helping DM find assisted living
Superoma DH attaining next age
Tana starting t feel herself
7 days for Vax1700 (Rotterdam 8/28 to 9/11)
Welcome Copper10_8 to Montreal.
Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam  to 8/27), Aliaschief (Rotterdam to 8/28),   Av8rix (Zuiderdam  to 8/31) and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 14

an update on the wine from Friday (Devlanee Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand SOT) that no one was able to find. It appears to have been on a list of wines that were available on HAL sometime prior to when I assembled the list. I was able to find images of the various wines on line somewhere and typed the lists from there.

After a bit more checking here is what happened. I used an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) program to convert the images to text. On most of the wines on that particular image it did a very good job, but it failed on this one miserably.

Drylands Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand JS90 was the actual wine on Cellar No 3.

@rafinmdthis was added after you saw the post

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 14

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today promises to be another hot one.  Last night while watering a hawk landed on my neighbors chimney, it was beautiful.  I’m curious about today’s meal suggestion looking forward to pictures and recipes from @dfish. I like today’s quote, it’s been awhile that I laughed so hard that my stomach hurt.  I’ll celebrate senior citizens day by going to Christmas Tree Shop.  They are offering a discount until noon.  Today’s port is conflicting for me.  I do my best to stay out of the big city, country boy at heart.  I very much like sailing out of Boston, it’s so easy for us.  I hope everyone has a good Sunday.

• Like 26

I've been to Boston once as a port of call, on a New England and Canada itinerary from New York, but I went to school there for my last encounter with higher education, in the 1990s.

My organization is having a tent sale on the front lawn of our building today, a preliminary to a big rummage sale in the fall -- after two years without one, we have to sell some things to make room for new donations. Unfortunately, most of what the volunteers propose to sell is decorative stuff that no one would buy in 2019. The volunteers have exquisite taste and put high values on things that most rummage-sale shoppers don't want at any price. Our fall sale is probably the best in the county, partly because we don't sell anything that is stained or broken; it's just the decorative stuff that becomes a problem. It's raining now and there may be thunderstorms later. Ordinarily my job is to sell electronics and sporting goods, but we're not offering any today, so I have the assignment of providing lunch for the volunteers.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Last week we had 2600 and lot’s of families with kids and this week we have been told almost 2,800 guest.

Wow!  That’s over 100%.  The HAL websites says the Rotterdam carries 2668 guests.  Does it feel crowded?  Are you able to find a seat in the Lido?  Are there lines for the tenders?  We will be sailing her for the first time in February.  I had to convince my husband to give her a try because he prefers smaller ships.  

Thanks for your insights and for taking us along on your trip.

• Like 23

Good morning  from a very humid  NY. August!

I like the days but will pass on the meal as we are careful with spices.I have sailed from Boston twice but spent my college days there in the 70's.It was a great place to be young and on my own .I had  many different  part time jobs during college including waitressing and  house cleaning. I can still visualize  the beautiful Back Bay  brownstone I cleaned weekly. My apartment was at the edge of Roxbury but I could still smell the "ocean" when the winds were right.

@ger_77 I hope the two of you are starting to feel better. We still find ourselves  tiring easily and unenthusiastic about food and were a week or so ahead of you. It will slowly get better but it is hard when one is used to doing more.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Just popping in to say hi to all the Dailyite family. We have been working on the house for my son. We found that the seller was very dishonest in his history of the house. A four year old roof ends up being a 40 year old with repairs done four years ago and so on. But it is coming along. Today is the planned day for him to move in even while we are still doing repairs and improvements.  Even when I don't post, you are all in my thoughts. Stay well. 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6

57 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you Rich for the Sunday report and Graham for the latest word from Father David.  I like all 3 of today's days but am a bit confused by the quote,  Boston is a great city; embarked MS Veendam there twice and spent a month there at a Northeastern University seminar as well as many other visits.  Noted earlier this morning that MS Oosterdam in Trieste is just a stone's throw from my beloved Crystal Symphony and Serenity.  Not into spicy so I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Blueberry Soup and Grilled Strip Loin as served on MS Veendam August 21, 2013.

Today’s care list:

HAL Sailer Sister in Law with metasticizing mole
Tana with persistent problems although somewhat better
Fluff healing from surgery
Atrex6 Father severely declining
ger_77 and  DH with covid fatigue
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/11)
From the rotation:
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Heartgrove’s Sam severely declining
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome Skicruiser55
51st anniversary of cruisin single’s wedding
Safety and a new loving home for Shadow
Volendam caring for refugees
ger_77's prescious “almost daughter”
New fur baby for Crazy for cats sister
Norseh20 helping DM find assisted living
Superoma DH attaining next age
Tana starting t feel herself
7 days for Vax1700 (Rotterdam 8/28 to 9/11)
Welcome Copper10_8 to Montreal.
Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam  to 8/27), Aliaschief (Rotterdam to 8/28),   Av8rix (Zuiderdam  to 8/31) and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you Roy for today's lists and your thanks for Father David's sermon.

David is going to Scotland for his holidays for the next 2 weeks and his friend a retired vicar is taking our services for the next 2 weeks so unfortunately there will be no sermons to post for the next 2 weeks.

Graham.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 10

Good sunny and humid morning. Possible thunderstorms this afternoon.

I have sailed from Boston on Maasdam and Veendam  and 🤞 on Nieuw Statendam in October 2nd . 
Fluff is feeling better but doesn’t like to take her pain medication, she goes back to the vet on Tuesday for follow up.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists. 🙏❤️  
Special anniversary wishes for @grapau27

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning! It is a beautiful day here with fog rolling off the lake because it is warmer than our current air temp.  John will probably fish. He got a great shot although a bit blurry of an eagle catching a fish.  It is quite used to us right now.  A day of weeding for me.  

Thank you for the Daily Reports @richwmn!  The meal sounds great as does the wine. I love Riesling but it can be too sweet. Trocken means dry so the winemakers are making a wine for current palates it is just hard to find.  I have been to Boston many times, my sisters lived in NH and Maine so that was the closest airport with good connections. We loved to hit the old Filene's Basement for designer bargains.   Prayers for all on our groups list and for those needing them.  Thanks @rafinmdfor compiling this for us.  Have a great day!

image_6487327.JPG

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Happy Sunday Dailyites!  It's cloudy, dark and we are supposed to get rain for the whole week. I still have to finish the book club book, make two necklaces, do grocery shopping and feed DH and me today before we go shopping tonight.  He has a meeting with a friend at 1:30 today, so the house will be quiet.

DH doesn't make a lot of noise, but always has the TV on. And since I have the attention span of a squirrel in the traffic, it's best for me to read without noise or distraction.

I have no pictures of Boston. I spent a week there every summer of my childhood as Nana and Pa lived in Cambridge.  I also remember living with my grandparents for a couple of months, but have no idea why.  And I went to college outside Boston, spending Sunday afternoons at Revere Beach or the Commons.  I would have my notebook with me, writing poetry on the train, on the beach, in the park, at the bus station, at the airport.  Living there or being there was so natural I took no pictures, it was just part of me. Cant wait to see pictures.

I don't own this shirt with this phrase, but I feel it.

"It's strange being the same age as old people."

46be0241f3d7f3c210246c16f5247624--funny-people-moment.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Good morning, everyone.

We are having a rainy start to the day here in northeast Ohio.  The weather forecast insists it is just partly cloudy, but looking out my window tells me differently.  Oh, well, may as well stay in and paint.  

The poblano is an extremely popular Mexican chili pepper. The pods typically grow 4 inches long, are a very dark green in color, ripening to dark red or brown. They are mostly picked when green for general cooking.

They are mild peppers, quite large and are somewhat heart-shaped. Their skins/walls are somewhat thick, making them perfect for stuffing as they'll hold up in the oven quite nicely. They are often roasted and peeled when cooking with them, or dried. When dried, they are called ancho chilis.

Poblanos originated in Puebla, Mexico.

389072402_poblanopeppers.thumb.jpg.7bf478aabcac88b1cb371cbb9f773c52.jpg

This first recipe calls for a mixture of Italian turkey sausage and ground beef mixed with Spanish rice and cheese.   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/easy-stuffed-poblanos/

336342875_stuffedpoblanos1.thumb.jpg.c4c4eb7684167ba58f0bb38a2a9d281b.jpg

This next recipe imparts a southwest flavor to the stuffed peppers. In addition to the meat and rice there is corn, tomatoes and black beans.  There are also a lot of good ideas on how to work with the peppers and where they stand heat wise.   https://www.lecremedelacrumb.com/southwest-stuffed-poblano-peppers/

2042512878_stuffedpoblanos2.thumb.jpg.0796bc16d327a66acc5c2df8963cbadb.jpg

This next one claims to be a healthy version because it uses chicken instead of ground beef.  It would be a good use for a rotisserie chicken.   https://healthyrecipesblogs.com/stuffed-poblano-peppers/

1282748966_stuffedpoblanos3.thumb.jpg.c09b6ffa65107418d14c5331f9c17d9b.jpg

This next one replaces the ground beef with chorizo and the rice with quinoa.  It is amazing all the different ways you can make one dish.   https://www.oliveandmango.com/easy-stuffed-poblano-peppers/

90137171_stuffedpoblanos4.thumb.jpg.3cc994c20b279d2118968c8e446a96cc.jpg

This next one is super easy and low carb.   https://twosleevers.com/stuffed-poblano-peppers/

2120129485_stuffedpoblanos5.thumb.jpg.6010ba5ae500139f337e84a417791fa2.jpg

This last recipe is totally different from the others.  It is offered by Marcela Valladolid on The Food Network.   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/marcela-valladolid/stuffed-poblano-chiles-chiles-rellenos-recipe-2040587

131185344_stuffedpoblanos6.jpeg.db9dc1dacfdeca9f10639fdce95f630c.jpeg

If you're still worried about spiciness, you can always substitute a bell pepper for the poblano.  Enjoy!  Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 8

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

I am a Senior Citizen but not a poet.  I grew up in the Boston area and continued to live there until DH was transferred to the Aeronautics Division in the 80`s. Didnt want to move to Florida but we did. It was suppose to be for 3 years but now 35 years later, we are still here. My family is still in Boston and I go back often. However I have never sailed from there. Hopefully that will change next summer with our booked roundtrip to Iceland/Greenland.

@Crazy For Cats Enjoy the " Christmas Tree Shop". I love that place. Always fun.

Be safe and enjoy today

• Like 24

I've been to Boston several times for cruises to Canada/New England.   We love Boston as it is easy to get to.  We splurge and stay at the Omni Parker House near Boston Commons and the north end.  We've walked the Freedom Trail, visited Paul Revere's house, eaten at Union Oyster House, and found our favorite cannoli at Modern Pastry.

We make a habit of stopping by Union Oyster House.  My grandfather paid for a dinner there for my mom and dad when they were on their honeymoon.  The first time we ate there we called mom and dad and told them the place still had great food.  Dad asked if we had the same waitress.  I said yes, although she found it a bit difficult to get up and down the stairs with her walker.  

20180824_161208530_iOS.thumb.jpg.bd683a43515eeee07b70e01f2777f6ef.jpg

We toured Paul Revere's house.  People were a lot shorter back then or else Sue and I are giants. 

20180824_164540906_iOS.thumb.jpg.f9955e6f0d4bfdb5be4fb03ce7be40c2.jpg

We love the cannoli.  Locals asked where we bought it and we said Modern Pastry.  We got the thumbs up from them all.  Mike's Pastry is also good and somewhat better known, but the people we ran into seem to prefer Modern.  

20180824_171324405_iOS.thumb.jpg.eb3e85c5a411c2962c16ee0942edbfc6.jpg

We strolled past the birthplace of Benjamin Franklin.

20180824_175103539_iOS.thumb.jpg.76da7f1c1fcb584fdf62f6408ea5cf09.jpg

Somewhere I have pictures of the gardens and old cemeteries, but it will take some digging to find them.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 9

@grapau27 Graham thank you so much for posting Father David, and the heads up that he will not be with us the next two weekends.

I am supposed to be starting a new campaign after Labor Day, but have not heard from my new manager yet.  So not sure when my last days will be with the bosses I have now.  Life is weird.  No wonder my tummy has gone wonky, stress....

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Good morning Daily-ites. Blessed Sunday.

Just returned from taking our little house guest dog for a walk. She's so sweet. Beautiful morning. Can not wait for the upcoming rain due this week.

Thank you Debbie for the recipes today. I like stuffed peppers. 

We were in Boston a few years back on NCL Gem sailing from Quebec. Sure wish we could get the lobsters y'all have back East.

I am a senior citizen only in age..

image.png.049d2a1b26af21f176045fae3307c5fd.png

Wishing everyone a great day. Sending up prayers and toasting tonight to health for our Daily family.

• Like 17
  • Haha 10