Casual dress

aburnett

9 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Agreed , but what's the use of rules without enforcement

A few posters on other threads have commented that rules not enforced are only suggestions, and not rules.  It may be that, without hiring bouncers to physically bar the way, Cunard will eventually match NCL.

1 minute ago, navybankerteacher said:

A few posters on other threads have commented that rules not enforced are only suggestions, and not rules.  It may be that, without hiring bouncers to physically bar the way, Cunard will eventually match NCL.

Doesnt need bouncers just Restaurant Managers on the doors of the restaurant to enforce the rules. On one of our first Cunard cruises in the late 90s a man in the queue in front of us was wearing a suit but had no tie on. The Restaurant Manager on the door discreetly took him to one side and opened a draw with ties on for him to use or was told he could go back to his cabin to get his own tie. This was in Britannia, if that is what it was called on QE2. Of course those day every night was either a dinner suit or suit and tie every night.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Someone on our table was turned away at last night’s gala night for not being in a dinner jacket or dark suit.  So there is still enforcement, but outside the gala nights the requirement is merely for smart attire meaning a proper shirt and no shorts, jeans etc - so standards are already sufficiently relaxed not to hinder anyone travelling without a jacket.  On the two gala nights out of seven you just eat at Kings Court, or in your cabin.

After the pandemic, being overly fussy about dress codes seems an anachronism, and the new Cunard approach of being fairly relaxed most of the time but still with a handful of ‘dressing up’ nights is probably a decent balance for modern times.

20 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Shorts at tea is understandable if you have just come in from doing something in a warm Mediterranean port, depending somewhat on the shortness of the shorts.

I'm sure this would have been a sea day (or I probably wouldn't have been at afternoon tea). It wasn't a Med or Caribbean cruise, nor any other sort of pool or beachside holiday. Early autumn. It was a man and thankfully the shorts weren't super-short a la 1970's but even so it was a bit off. The pianist was doing her best to create an elegant atmosphere.

I posted my QV review yesterday morning but it hasnt gone up yet in the review section!! However i have made this post about what DH and I wore on this cruise which may be some help. You will see DH wore black jeans a couple of nights which to be fair are not in the code but from a distance they do look like back chinos and are very new and smart. Hope it gives some pointers to those squeamish about Cunard's dress code and encourages others to pop a glam frock in their luggage. 

Enjoy x

• Like 1

23 hours ago, IB2 said:

Someone on our table was turned away at last night’s gala night for not being in a dinner jacket or dark suit.  So there is still enforcement, but outside the gala nights the requirement is merely for smart attire meaning a proper shirt and no shorts, jeans etc - so standards are already sufficiently relaxed not to hinder anyone travelling without a jacket.  On the two gala nights out of seven you just eat at Kings Court, or in your cabin.

After the pandemic, being overly fussy about dress codes seems an anachronism, and the new Cunard approach of being fairly relaxed most of the time but still with a handful of ‘dressing up’ nights is probably a decent balance for modern times.

Thanks for this information. We are on our first Cunard cruise and our first Atlantic crossing by ship. We want to travel as light as possible because we are traveling around Europe for 6 weeks and we are not planning on lugging heavy suitcases around (we are 80+). We have no problem with spending the gala nights at any of the locations which not require formal wear. 

Again, much appreciated.

Theo

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2022 at 4:34 PM, Renmar said:

Thanks for this information. We are on our first Cunard cruise and our first Atlantic crossing by ship. We want to travel as light as possible because we are traveling around Europe for 6 weeks and we are not planning on lugging heavy suitcases around (we are 80+). We have no problem with spending the gala nights at any of the locations which not require formal wear. 

Again, much appreciated.

Theo

For dining on gala nights just go to Kings Court for dinner, we always enjoy our meals there.

On 8/24/2022 at 5:34 PM, Renmar said:

Again, much appreciated.

Theo

Is a dark blue blazer (2 or 3 button style) or a double breasted dark blue blazer with a dress shirt and tie acceptable in the Britannia dining room on formal nights?  That seems to be what is stated in the new dress code: jacket, with dress shirt and tie required for men on formal evenings.  The new dress code states nothing about a dark suit or tux.  I have always worn a tux on formal evenings and a jacket with tie all other nights in the Britannia dining room.  I would welcome having to pack less.  Any input on what is required in relation to the new dress requirements would be appreciated.

5 hours ago, travelite said:

Is a dark blue blazer (2 or 3 button style) or a double breasted dark blue blazer with a dress shirt and tie acceptable in the Britannia dining room on formal nights?  That seems to be what is stated in the new dress code: jacket, with dress shirt and tie required for men on formal evenings.  The new dress code states nothing about a dark suit or tux.  I have always worn a tux on formal evenings and a jacket with tie all other nights in the Britannia dining room.  I would welcome having to pack less.  Any input on what is required in relation to the new dress requirements would be appreciated.

One posts an interpretation under one’s “seems” umbrella statement.

Best to wait until a few weeks prior to sailing for a definitive publication of any new dress code protocols and/or contact Cunard for a definitive answer, rather than ask CC.

We sailed QM2 August 5-12, 2022, and while there were several tuxedos and full length gowns on the 2 formal nights, there were at least an equal amount of dark suits with dress shirt and tie, and cocktail attire for the ladies. As to the blazer and slacks option, I don't recall if I saw anyone in that style attire on formal nights. I imagine if the double breasted dark blue blazer were of an elegant cut and material, it would suffice. 

Taken from Cunard website-At least twice on each seven-night voyage we’ll host a Gala Evening, where we do ask that you observe a black-tie dress code.

• Like 4

Where have you seen this new dress code for gala (used to be formal) nights ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Taken from Cunard website-At least twice on each seven-night voyage we’ll host a Gala Evening, where we do ask that you observe a black-tie dress code.

To me black tie dress code means a DJ/tuxedo (UK/USA) not a suit.

If Cunard have reverted to Gala nights being purely properly black tie only , ie a dark suit and ordinary tie is not acceptable,  that's a  great move .  However expect it's just another bit of dress code writing sloppiness not a tightening of the rules.

On the other hand , I'm not suggesting we go back to the dress codes of the 50s.  I completely support the jacket optional on smart casual nights as a progressive  move.

Let Black tie be Black tie, and smart casual be casual

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You don't need a sports coat - what you need are collared shirts and slacks for the smart casual nights. For formal nights you need either a dark suit or a tux (which you can hire)  . So yes you can just don't expect to dine in the MDR on formal nights. Note that the dress code no longer seems to apply elsewhere in the ship (personal observation from our recent cruise) 

@travelite I refer you to my post #30 both what myself and DH wore recently. Although I wore a long dress on formal nights any of the other short dresses would have equally sufficed. Agree your husband will need a dark suit minimum for formal nights, wear the jacket to travel and put the pants in luggage. Hth 

Thank you for all the great information.   We are planning on travelling QM2 from London to New York next year as our return to the US rather than flying. Right now it's cheaper to cruise each way than fly!  After a month of travelling, seven days at sea will be wonderful!   With travelling Europe for 4 weeks, mainly by train, the less luggage the better and the most formal thing we will even have with us are leggings and a few nice tops for me and black jeans and a collared shirt for him.  We have no problem eating in the buffet every night,

10 minutes ago, mgasaway said:

Thank you for all the great information.   We are planning on travelling QM2 from London to New York next year as our return to the US rather than flying. Right now it's cheaper to cruise each way than fly!  After a month of travelling, seven days at sea will be wonderful!   With travelling Europe for 4 weeks, mainly by train, the less luggage the better and the most formal thing we will even have with us are leggings and a few nice tops for me and black jeans and a collared shirt for him.  We have no problem eating in the buffet every night,

Seems a pity to miss out on so much while aboard because of no dark suit.  May one suggest a small price point purchase prior to boarding, then either save the suit for another occasion or donate.

Have no doubt you could pull it off wonderfully with tops and leggings.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
No doubt

Mgasaway, we did something similar, although we cruised from NYC and flew back from London.   We did not pack formal clothes and understood that we would need to dine at the buffet on formal nights, and wouldn't be attending the shows, etc on those nights.  We were going to be traveling around and simply couldn't justify packing stuff we would only wear once or twice.

As it turned out, we loved the buffet and ate there more than in the dining room.  There were some nights when the dining room menu did not appeal.  And even on formal nights there were passengers in their finery eating in the buffet.  We did not ever feel like we missed out on any aspects of the ship because we didn't pack a dark suit and gown.

We always did leave a note for our waiter and tablemates I forming them of our dining plans so they wouldn't be waiting for us.

Have a great time!