How formal is formal night?

Babyjax12

Anything suffices.  There were men in tuxes, black suits and ties down to guys still in their shorts.  Formal night is wear anything you like night.  Only once did I see the maitre d' turn someone away due to wearing shorts to dinner.  It was refreshing to see so many people in their gala best, having formal photos taken before and after dinner.  A refreshing throw back to the good old days of cruising!  Watch as the flame throwers come on here now and trash my statements.  Heh, heh, heh.

• Like 5

I wont be packing a jacket anymore . Collared shirt and long pants it is.

I only buy black jeans now, and guess what i will be wearing .

I`ll probably change back into shorts after dinner .🙂

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Babyjax12 said:

With many of us doing carry-on only these days, packing a suit for the husband seems challenging. For those who’ve cruised recently (Oasis)

would a dress shirt and tie suffice? TIA

No dress shirt or tie.

Polo shirt at most. Or Hawaiian shirt. 

"Formal Night" on the Wonder of the Seas

image.png.ba13a2923d4edbec5acba0479d912eb6.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Babyjax12 said:

With many of us doing carry-on only these days, packing a suit for the husband seems challenging. For those who’ve cruised recently (Oasis)

would a dress shirt and tie suffice? TIA

Okay, bring on the haters - I miss actual formal nights.  Now it’s anything goes.  Takes away from the experience IMHO.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

Okay, bring on the haters - I miss actual formal nights.  Now it’s anything goes.  Takes away from the experience IMHO.  

If you want to dress up you wont be the only one in the dining room .

Dont let the casually dressed people detract from your enjoyment .

Similar to a high end restaurants downtown. Bay St boys will be in suits and 

others wont be.

• Like 2

Tonight was the first "Dress to Impress" night for this weeks sailing on Quantum of the Seas and we've seen everything from men in t-shirts to tuxedo's and women in regular dress or blouse and jeans to evening gowns.  That is for both Coastal Kitchen and the MDR.  As far as Windjammer goes, it is still is anything but bathing suits or birthday suits. 

7 hours ago, Babyjax12 said:

Brooks Brothers and a tie will have to do. Thanks for the feedback! 

This would be totally over dressed compared to everyone else. 

Some folks like to dress up, and it's fine. We stopped packing gowns and tuxes long ago.

You probably can count the number of men in tuxes on one hand on the entire ship. And then very very few men with ties after that.

You are on vacation. Dress resort casual. Have fun! 

Edited by BirdTravels

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

No dress shirt or tie.

Polo shirt at most. Or Hawaiian shirt. 

"Formal Night" on the Wonder of the Seas

image.png.ba13a2923d4edbec5acba0479d912eb6.png

At least that guy brought his "formal" dark-colored backpack   🤣       

I'm pretty easy going, but I hope they turned that dude away  🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

Anything suffices.  There were men in tuxes, black suits and ties down to guys still in their shorts.  Formal night is wear anything you like night.  Only once did I see the maitre d' turn someone away due to wearing shorts to dinner.  It was refreshing to see so many people in their gala best, having formal photos taken before and after dinner.  A refreshing throw back to the good old days of cruising!  Watch as the flame throwers come on here now and trash my statements.  Heh, heh, heh.

It was the airlines with their insane bag fees that changed this(In Part)

• Like 4

I've found this depends on where you're sailing. From cruises out of US ports,  yes, anything goes  ( and I've seen flip flops,  shorts, vest t shirt and back to front baseball cap in the MDR on formal night).

However, on cruises in Europe and out of Southampton  in particular,  formal, for many people  still means formal.  There's a group on the book of the face for our upcoming cruise (Sunday, yay!) and  a great many folk are packing tuxes and gowns.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, poocher said:

I love the couples who clearly can’t agree.  She’s dressed to the nines (do people still say that?) and he’s in shorts & a tee shirt!

I ask my wife what color polo/short sleeve button down to wear each night to go with her casual dress or slightly nicer top. We're very coordinated... need to take at least 2 decent pictures to use our Diamond freebies on... then the pictures usually wind up in a drawer. 🤣

• Like 1

The reason given in the past was that dressing up for work and dressing up for formal night was an over reach for the guest.  Then COVID hit now the same guest are working from home (casual, street clothes, pajamas) you would think that guests would welcome dressing up.  Naw.  

• Like 1

Always befuddles me as to why anyone cares how someone else dresses?  

As societal norms have changed regarding how people dress, so have the cruise lines’ dress norms.

Regardless of the reason, dress as you feel comfortable.  Some will dress like you, some won’t.  No issue one way or the other.

• Like 5