$16 gratuities per day. How is that divided?

1 hour ago, little britain said:

This was the breakdown at $14.50 so add a bit! 

Stateroom Attendant: $3.55 

Dining Room: $6.25 

Other Hotel Services: $4.70 

So who gets the $6.25 dining room tip? There is a waiter, assistant waiter, and headwaiter.

• Like 1

The breakdown is none of my business. 

I don't ask for the breakdown of my cruise costs. How much goes to marketing? How much goes to R&D? How much goes to facilities maintenance? How much goes to HR? How much goes to technology. Why would I care how much goes to Rudy in the paint department or Samantha in Guest Services? It's just the cost of the cruise and for me and my family to get away from it all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rudeney said:

My cousin's husband whose uncle has a neighbor whose daughter works for RCCL said the entire additional  $1.50 is all allocated to the MDR head waiter. 

6500 passengers on a Oasis Class ship would be $9000 per day to the head waiters. I don't think so. It just goes into the tip pool which banks about $700,0000 a week to be divided up.

1 minute ago, taglovestocruise said:

6500 passengers on a Oasis Class ship would be $9000 per day to the head waiters. I don't think so. It just goes into the tip pool which banks about $700,0000 a week to be divided up.

So you are saying that the head waiters don't work hard enough to deserve that extra cash?  I know some of them kids they are putting through school and really need the money.  One I talked to on my last cruise was saving up for a second vacation home.  I think this is the absolute best use of that money and am only surprised the increase wasn't higher.  (note that this and my previous post are just satire.)

• Haha 2

Just now, rudeney said:

So you are saying that the head waiters don't work hard enough to deserve that extra cash?  I know some of them kids they are putting through school and really need the money.  One I talked to on my last cruise was saving up for a second vacation home.  I think this is the absolute best use of that money and am only surprised the increase wasn't higher.  (note that this and my previous post are just satire.)

No, I am saying the $1.50 increase amounts to $9,000 per day on its own, If the 3 or 4 head waiters are getting a $2, 000 daily bonus, $14,000 per week, $56,000 per month, $672,000 per year... They have a great job. Satire response include at no charge, happy cruising

• Like 1

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

The breakdown is none of my business. 

I don't ask for the breakdown of my cruise costs. How much goes to marketing? How much goes to R&D? How much goes to facilities maintenance? How much goes to HR? How much goes to technology. Why would I care how much goes to Rudy in the paint department or Samantha in Guest Services? It's just the cost of the cruise and for me and my family to get away from it all.

I think this all goes back to the "good old days" when we used to hand envelopes with suggested amounts of cash to the four key crew members who directly served us (room attendant, water, asst. waiter, head waiter).  That was before the megaships with a dozen specialty restaurants, MTD, etc.  Back then, tipping was a much more personal thing and we knew (and decided) who was given what.  Now, with the automatically added gratuities, it has become very impersonal.  But I think it's sort of necessary now that cruising has become so cheap and "informal".  It is still nice to know, though, that our tips are distributed to the right people.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

No, I am saying the $1.50 increase amounts to $9,000 per day on its own, If the 3 or 4 head waiters are getting a $2, 000 daily bonus, $14,000 per week, $56,000 per month, $672,000 per year... They have a great job. Satire response include at no charge, happy cruising

At that rate, I would be applying for the job as head waiter!  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Marie51 said:

So who gets the $6.25 dining room tip? There is a waiter, assistant waiter, and headwaiter.

In the past the waiter and stateroom attendant always were tipped (suggested) at the same amount. So it would go something like this:

Waiter- 3.55

Asst. Waiter- 2

Head waiter- .75

Off by a nickle... of course assuming this is based on traditional tipping. Some people used to tip the Maitre d' depending on involvement too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rudeney said:

I think this all goes back to the "good old days" when we used to hand envelopes with suggested amounts of cash to the four key crew members who directly served us (room attendant, water, asst. waiter, head waiter).  That was before the megaships with a dozen specialty restaurants, MTD, etc.  Back then, tipping was a much more personal thing and we knew (and decided) who was given what.  Now, with the automatically added gratuities, it has become very impersonal.  But I think it's sort of necessary now that cruising has become so cheap and "informal".  It is still nice to know, though, that our tips are distributed to the right people.  

It is still very personal for me