What % of people who start cruising from the U.S start cruising in Europe, I think it is small.

dolittle

It surprises me when I talk to people on ships how many have cruised a lot and never consider Europe. It is by far the best place to cruise ,the history  and geography make it so. Almost all trips have at three very different  countries , and so much to see. Still I think the % is small . What do you think the reasons are.

8 minutes ago, dolittle said:

It surprises me when I talk to people on ships how many have cruised a lot and never consider Europe. It is by far the best place to cruise ,the history  and geography make it so. Almost all trips have at three very different  countries , and so much to see. Still I think the % is small . What do you think the reasons are.

Some of the reasons are pretty obvious.  1.  Money - it costs more in terms of airfare    2. Many folks have limited vacation time and heading to Europe takes a few extra days   3.  Many American cruisers do not have a valid Passport   4.  We have talked to quite a few folks who are simply afraid of the unknown (heading to Europe).

Hank

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Some of the reasons are pretty obvious.  1.  Money - it costs more in terms of airfare    2. Many folks have limited vacation time and heading to Europe takes a few extra days   3.  Many American cruisers do not have a valid Passport   4.  We have talked to quite a few folks who are simply afraid of the unknown (heading to Europe).

Hank

It works in reverse too!  Well, except for #3!

I think next couple of years will see more cruisers staying in the own back yard, as airfares are very expensive and airports are a nightmare.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I think next couple of years will see more cruisers staying in the own back yard, as airfares are very expensive and airports are a nightmare.

Good -- maybe that will lead to some good cruise deals in Europe for US cruisers. Fingers crossed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

To add to Hanks list, most of Europe, and certainly many of the really interesting places, are NOT within a short bus ride from the pier. Given the ease of travel within Europe, it is one of the last places I want to cruise, except for Scandinavia.

• Like 2

I agree with Hank.

1. Lack of paid vacation time

2. Fear of the unknown (perceived language barrier, food, etc)

3. Passport

4. Comfort with the known. (What I mean is the size of the US. It takes a 10 hour flight to go from Hawaii to NYC. That leaves a lot of country to see while maintaining the comfort zone. Whereas someone who lives in London can be in Athens Greece in 3 1/2 hours. New culture, new food, new music, new history)

What difference does it make where Americans cruise, if all they are interested in are the FlowRider® Surf Simulator, the ice skating rink, the rock climbing wall and a week long drunken binge? What percentage of the US population cares about history or geography? Give them a drink and a Caribbean beach.

I would say that Europe is a great place for a land vacation. The Galapagos Islands and South Pacific Islands are the best place to cruise, visiting them any other way is a challenge.

We booked the first European cruise back in l989 or so, from Rome to London on the Royal Odessey - Royal Cruise line, no longer around.  At the time it was expensive for us, $7000 for limited view cabin, no air included.  It was so fabulous we just kept going, each and every port amazing.   Did about 15 cruises over the years on Princess, Cunard, Celebrity, Crystal, NCL, Holland America lines, never got tired of going.  Glad we did, because now at 90 and 75, no longer want to fly to get to a port.  We went out of Istanbul, Venice, Rome, Athens, Barcelona and Southhampton.   Now days, cruises do offer a lot more for less cost by comparison.   If we were younger, we would go in a heart.  

• Like 3

Most of the people I know who "cruise" don't really consider themselves international travelers. They may not even have a passport. There's a thought process (obviously inaccurate) that a cruise is along the lines of a florida vacation if it starts and ends there. Most people I know also don't travel internationally, just never brought up with that as goal in mind; usually do a week road trip in the summer; and either think there's nothing interesting/worth the cost to see and do in Europe; or are afraid of going somewhere that they don't know the customs or speak the language. 

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

I agree with Hank.

1. Lack of paid vacation time

2. Fear of the unknown (perceived language barrier, food, etc)

3. Passport

4. Comfort with the known. (What I mean is the size of the US. It takes a 10 hour flight to go from Hawaii to NYC. That leaves a lot of country to see while maintaining the comfort zone. Whereas someone who lives in London can be in Athens Greece in 3 1/2 hours. New culture, new food, new music, new history)

I think these are very accurate lists.   I would put the extra expense high up on the list.  The airfare is definitely an added cost and my impression is cruises out of American ports are less expensive in general.   Additionally, it is likely a lot of folks are more interested in the ship fun & beach activities than touring historical sites.  Might be especially true of young families with limited vacay time, but just a WAG on my part.  

We are actually among the few who had their first cruise in Europe, a Western Mediterranean from Barcelona to Barcelona.

This is how that happened. In late 2001, I said to my DW that our 25th anniversary is next summer, why don't we consider a cruise. She liked the idea. She suggested Alaska (which we have since cruised to), but I said no. I suggested Bermuda (which we have since cruised to) as at that point in time who wanted to fly and we could drive or take the bus to NY City. But, she said no.

I then sent away for a brochure from a travel agency I saw with an ad in our Sunday newspaper. I saw the cruise I mentioned above with ports like Rome, Florence. etc (and yes I know now they are not real ports). As she is (actually just retired) an art teacher, I knew she would love that. She agreed, and now almost half our cruises have been in Europe (plus one cancelled for Covid in 2020 and one scheduled for 2023).

• Like 2

I think many aren’t interested in history or art, just want a beach and a bar.  Lots of bars in Europe, but the beaches are not what they expect.  Also, not comfortable in places where they don’t speak the language.  My father was one.  When I was stationed in Europe, my mother came to visit twice, but he wouldn’t come.  Personally, I feel I can cope anywhere that the use the same alphabet.  Or have dual signs, like Beijing and Hong Kong.  Tokyo was a little more challenging, but there was always someone appearing to help if you stared too long at the signs…. EM

• Like 2

Cost is likely the major factor, then time off.  For many it is a drive or a couple of hours’ (inexpensive) flight to a port - where many short cruises can be boarded - without the cost of getting a passport.  As soon as you talk European cruise, you add $120 or so passport fees and many hundred extra $ air fare, plus a likely hotel stay to the $500+/- fare possible for a US based cruise.  

We loved our two European cruises first was Athens to Rome , then for our 25 anniversary we did a 12 day cruise from Barcelona with 5 stops in Italy . Only negative is they are not as relaxing as a Caribbean cruise , since we didn’t want to miss anything in Europe. Also business or first class air is super expensive.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I think many aren’t interested in history or art, just want a beach and a bar.  Lots of bars in Europe, but the beaches are not what they expect.  Also, not comfortable in places where they don’t speak the language.  My father was one.  When I was stationed in Europe, my mother came to visit twice, but he wouldn’t come.  Personally, I feel I can cope anywhere that the use the same alphabet.  Or have dual signs, like Beijing and Hong Kong.  Tokyo was a little more challenging, but there was always someone appearing to help if you stared too long at the signs…. EM

Totally agree. Many equate vacation with relaxation and a trip to Europe usually isn't that. I always have to think about that when I respond on CC. I go to the Caribbean to get away from winter in the north and that is all. I would never consider the Caribbean a desirable vacation from April to November. We love to explore European cities and aren't afraid of the language and cultural issues. We love museums, old churches and skansens while that would not be appealing to many.  Now, as a retired person, I can relax all the time, if I choose. I don't need a vacation for that.

• Like 2

Our past two cruises - and this year's cruise are European cruises - but without any air travel.

We decided we would rather take a week sailing across than a day flying. Once we have made that decision, then our basic two week vacation turns into a transatlantic round trip. [plus side trip to Hamburg, Normandy or Norway if time and budget permit]

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, George C said:

We loved our two European cruises first was Athens to Rome , then for our 25 anniversary we did a 12 day cruise from Barcelona with 5 stops in Italy . Only negative is they are not as relaxing as a Caribbean cruise , since we didn’t want to miss anything in Europe. Also business or first class air is super expensive.

Not as relaxing is truly an understatement. You come back from a European cruise (especially if your DW is an art teacher) and feel like you now need a vacation. LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mom says said:

To add to Hanks list, most of Europe, and certainly many of the really interesting places, are NOT within a short bus ride from the pier. Given the ease of travel within Europe, it is one of the last places I want to cruise, except for Scandinavia.

While this is said often, I have to disagree in part. Yes, there are bucket-list places in Europe that can't be accessed, or easily accessed from a cruise ship -- Paris springs to mind. But there is plenty to be seen and experienced on a cruise, including many of the "iconic" sites of classical antiquity such as Rome, Naples, Athens, Venice (until recently).  And the Greek isles also lend themselves to cruising -- not sure I need more than a day to investigate Mykonos or Zakynthos, for example -- but then I am not a beach person.

For someone like myself, whose travel itineraries revolve around following the ancient Greeks and Romans around their colonies/empire, most of the key sites are accessible by cruising, since that's primarily how the ancient peoples moved around, e.g., by ship. Many wonderful sites are located near the Mediterranean coast, from Italy (Pompeii, Herculaneum, Rome, Paestum, Greco-Roman Sicily) to Spain (Tarragona, Barcelona, Cadiz) to North Africa (Carthage, Alexandria), Cyprus, Turkey (Ephesus, Antalya), and Greece (Athens, Delos, Corinth, Olympia), etc..

While my land trips to Europe outnumber my cruises, I have still enjoyed every one of my 9 Med cruises and have 2 more planned (back to back) in October that will visit at least 4 new ports. 

And of course, as you mention, there is Scandinavia. Until recently, the Black Sea was also a good itinerary for cruising. Many options.

• Like 3

I agree with most of the points why people don't cruise Europe.  I think cost, time and unfamiliarity/fear of the unknown are probably the biggest reasons.  I personally know many relatively young (40ish) people who say they never want to leave the United States and are also fearful of cruising, due, I guess, to being on the water or enclosed in a ship.

We love cruising and traveling in Europe, but are still put off at times by the long flights and general logistics of getting there from here--not so easy if you live in the sticks and don't live near a major airport. 

Traveling to New York for us, for example,  to embark involves, first,  a two hour 15 minute drive to the airport, then usually at least two, maybe three, flights, an overnight coming and going ( Which involves finding and getting to hotels in unfamiliar places) and sometimes lengthy transfers from one airport to another.  Not for the faint of heart!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

I agree with most of the points why people don't cruise Europe.  I think cost, time and unfamiliarity/fear of the unknown are probably the biggest reasons.  I personally know many relatively young (40ish) people who say they never want to leave the United States and are also fearful of cruising, due, I guess, to being on the water or enclosed in a ship.

We love cruising and traveling in Europe, but are still put off at times by the long flights and general logistics of getting there from here--not so easy if you live in the sticks and don't live near a major airport. 

Traveling to New York for us, for example,  to embark involves, first,  a two hour 15 minute drive to the airport, then usually at least two, maybe three, flights, an overnight coming and going ( Which involves finding and getting to hotels in unfamiliar places) and sometimes lengthy transfers from one airport to another.  Not for the faint of heart!

We are fortunate to be relatively close to a major airport that offers nonstops to most other major airports.   Outside of high traffic times, we can be there in about an hour.   

For some, a European "ocean" cruise just does not offer enough time to see a country.  They (obviosuly) only dock at coastal port cities, usually they are there for just the day.  There is rarely an opportunity to spend evening/night hours in the city and excursions usually offer an opportunity to see one or two of the citie's attractions. On the other hand, we do very much enjoy European river cruises, whch offer a better opportunity to explore and experience where they stop.

I’m an American who mostly cruises in Europe. But I’ll be the first to admit it can be a hassle. Take the Vatican Museums. Priceless one of a kind art treasures, a connection to many people’s religious heritage, the Sistine Chapel! And getting there and back is a giant PITA. I’ve come back from European cruises in desperate need of a vacation. 

Sometimes you just want to lay on a beach. 

• Like 1

We almost always spend half our time on the cruise and the other half land based. Cruises allow you to get a taste of a country. We just venture out using the most expedient means of transportation- train, bus, plane, etc.

I don't find a cruise in Europe that much of a hassle. We spend time and effort on what we enjoy. I don't find the Caribbean quite worth the effort and money for excursions.

• Like 1

I love sailing in Europe but I agree time is a major constraint for many.  Also Covid raised the fear of if something goes wrong.  An emergency flight home from Florida won’t break the bank but from Europe a last minute flight might mean thousands - money many don’t have.