The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday September 17th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Citizenship Day, Constitution Day, and International Red Panda Day

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.--Margaret Mead

Meal Suggestion for today - Chicken Mole
Drink of the Day - Mango Mojito
Wine of the Day - Domaine Ste. Michelle Brut, Columbia Valley, Washi
Destination of the Day - Exmouth, Australia

Eurodam

Seattle, Washington 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:30

Nieuw Amsterdam

Valdez, Alaska 08:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Statendam

Boston, Massachusetts 07:00 - 16:00

Noordam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 09/18

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Villefranche, France eta 9/18

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Rotterdam, Netherlands South Holland eta 09/18

Volendam

Relocate to Trieste Currently headed to Malaga, Spain eta 9/18

Westerdam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island, BC Canada 18:00 - 23:59

Zaandam

Montreal, Quebec Canada 07:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

0917World.thumb.jpg.469fb772545755e2104a4974ced7ac5b.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 9

Well, me and DW are up but our family including grandchildren are still asleep. Have no clue what is on the agenda for the day but definitely some fun time with the grandchildren.

Thanks for the explanation for what “rare” on certain member post but I have no idea why they would use that word for someone who has done a live cruise report?
Our drive across Florida yesterday was fine with the exception of quite a few left lane huggers. It’s actually against the law in Florida but just wish they would enforce it.

Grand dogs are happy that we are up but will enjoy this quiet time before we become fully employed grandparents!

Thanks for the Fleet Report and other post that will follow.

Bruce

• Like 28

Thank you for the Saturday report, Rich.  A nice selection of days with a special salute to our Constitution.  I love the Mead quote, but haven't been to Exmouth.  The meal sounds interesting.  I know there's a big storm headed for Alaska so it's a good thing it's still a little early in the season to have ships heading from there to Asia.

Today’s care list:

Rest in Peace Her Royal Majesty Queen Elizabeth 9\8/22
Western wildfires
Strength and healing for smitty34877 and family
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
Seriousness of Cruzin Terri’s leak damage and insurance issues
HAL Sailer Sister in law feeling too week to meet her brother
From the rotation:
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care
Strength for luvteaching’s friend Karen after Wayne’s 9/3 death
Sandi’s neighbor Linda
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Dfish home under contract
Volendam at sea
Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
ger_77 and aliaschief with grandkids
New temporary residence for Cruisin Terri
Kazu’s car dealer
Help for Tana
Bon Voyage norseh20 (Regata 9/17 to 9/25)
lindaler (Westerdam  to 9/18), Marshhawk (Ecstasy to 9/22),  Oceansaway17 (Adventure OTS to 9/25), Vict0riann (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 9/25), sailingdutchy (Oosterdam  to 10/10), and  Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 9

Good afternoon.

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich.

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Interesting days.

Very true quote.

The food and wine sound nice.

Australia is on our list of places to visit.

We are going for lunch shortly.

I hope everyone is well and looking forward to the weekend.

Prayers 🙏 for healing for those on Roy's care list.

Graham.

16634129662038868650707993319227.jpg

• Like 24

Happy Saturday!

we went to Rays game last night and unfortunately they lost by 1.  Tonight and Monday we go again, hope they win!  

On Tuesday we fly to San Diego for DH’s ship reunion and then to Houston for the Tin Can Sailor’s annual reunion.

I like chicken mole, but have never made it.

• Like 20

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

A little cool this morning, but supposed to warm up to 27C (81F) this afternoon, pretty good for the last weekend of summer.🙂

I hope everyone is a good citizen.

Good quote, something to remember.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I'm sure the drink and wine will be tasty too.

We've never been to Australia, hoping to go someday.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Saturday.

Stay safe.

• Like 20

Good morning friends!  It's a cool 60F with 100% humidity and full sunshine is on the way.  A perfect day to celebrate our constitution as well as citizenship.  I may have to search what red panda day means!  The chicken mole recipes should be interesting.  And the quote is a good one.  Thanks Rich @richwmnfor letting us know where all the BHB's are.  Thanks also to Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers for all and cheers to everyone with happy things going on in their lives.  

Our port today Exmouth, Australia is no doubt a great place to stop on a cruise.  We didn't stop there on our circumnavigation of Australia, but would be happy to do that.  Exmouth was last posted as destination of the day on Sept. 4, 2021, and I located it on page 41 of Rich's posting activity.  Here is a link for anyone who wants to retrieve their photos from back then.

Well, I have some chores to attend to so better get on it.  Have a wonderful Saturday everyone!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  A nice collection of days.  Today’s meal suggestion is very good and I look forward to @dfish pictures and recipes.  No agenda for the weekend so I’ll wait to see where the day takes me.  I hope everyone has a good Saturday.

• Like 18

Mango Mojito cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Cruzan® Mango Rum
4 chunks fresh Mango
1 dash fresh Lime Juice
1 splash Simple Syrup
4-6 leaves Fresh Mint Leaves
Soda Water

Instructions
Muddle mint and mango chunks with simple syrup in a tall glass. Add lime juice, Cruzan® Mango Rum and ice. Stir and top with soda water. Garnish with mint.

Screen Shot 2022-09-17 at 7.41.35 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 8

16 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It's a cool 60F with 100% humidity and full sunshine is on the way.  A perfect day to celebrate our constitution as well as citizenship.  I may have to search what red panda day means!  The chicken mole recipes should be interesting.  And the quote is a good one.  Thanks Rich @richwmnfor letting us know where all the BHB's are.  Thanks also to Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers for all and cheers to everyone with happy things going on in their lives.  

Our port today Exmouth, Australia is no doubt a great place to stop on a cruise.  We didn't stop there on our circumnavigation of Australia, but would be happy to do that.  Exmouth was last posted as destination of the day on Sept. 4, 2021, and I located it on page 41 of Rich's posting activity.  Here is a link for anyone who wants to retrieve their photos from back then.

Well, I have some chores to attend to so better get on it.  Have a wonderful Saturday everyone!

Screenshot_20220917_124858.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7

Thanks for our Saturday Daily, Rich.

Nice collection of days.  The venerable Margaret Mead is ever so correct - completely agree with her quote.  DH would like today’s meal suggestion. Today’s memes are all one - just too long.  I thought the story was cute - hope you enjoy.

B2EFAF7D-225E-4DAC-BB78-F70443576CB7.thumb.jpeg.b40b4e23135847a3d190103376d7b68a.jpeg

348A4FF8-66F8-425E-B9D4-9DC5334378F0.thumb.jpeg.c3ba6af0d97daf14978489f2241061fd.jpeg

Another cool day here - hopefully the cold wind isn’t whipping to make it easier to work outside.  I did get my too tall shrub trimmed yesterday and a bit of planter destruction done.  Lots more to do.

A priority and weather watching list is being set up.  We have over 100 people registered for our Meet and Greet and since I have been through so many cruise cancellations, I didn’t start the invites/ name tags earlier.  Looks like all is good so I will have to save a rainy day(s) for those projects 🤞 

1091189E-A380-42AB-A893-72B7C3502BC3.thumb.jpeg.107af43b87d79e6a1b1d4d4664799b39.jpeg

A08C4218-9858-442C-9ADB-6D1F5D9F3A17.thumb.jpeg.b69e343c79123578ef124ab53e62348b.jpeg

Well the 3rd good thing has happened (although it was interrupted by a low battery warning on my alarm system at 4 am).  Air Canada’s decent flight out of Florida had come back so I can get straight home on our disembarkation day 👍 I now expect all the bad luck to return 😉 😂

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.  Have a great Saturday everyone !!!!!

88132F7E-7EF4-45A2-A159-D1A1410E6EB7.thumb.jpeg.2f44b6541ecccb66334d63e9027f9ceb.jpeg

DACC3F8C-4303-40FD-ADF6-26B321CF2DC5.thumb.jpeg.e0444a9c50c01b8b1758c609fa61c898.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 26
  • Haha 16

Happy Saturday!   We have a quiet day here doing what we please.   We had a long and fun walk through the fair.  Just as I would have it by luck we parked by the livestock buildings.   We walked a lot trying to find exhibits open but we went early to avoid the heat so we saw all the animals before the exhibits open.  Instead of going for fair food we went to a favorite small tavern that has food we love for a late lunch.    We found a farm stand with gorgeous heirloom tomatoes so we had a great dinner at home with a tomato and fresh farm sweet corn.  It is unusual to find them this late in the season.  

Thank you for the Daily Reports!  Today's quote is another one that is a motivator.    I have seen Red Pandas in zoos and they are darn cute.  Constitution Day is very important.  I am afraid in the US our Constitution is rarely taught in public schools although our immigrants seeking citizenship have to know some points of it.  Pass on the drink, Chicken Mole gets me thinking going to a Mexican restaurant again.    Wine looks great and I look forward to photos of today's port.    Thanks for the Care Report.  Happy that it has been a few days with no additions.  I will be praying for the beautiful Windward Islands and Puerto Rico who will be doused by Fiona.  Have a wonderful day!!  

a pretty corner.jpg

• Like 22

31 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

I am afraid in the US our Constitution is rarely taught in public schools 

In honor of Citizenship & Constitution Day, a bit of background about the Social Studies classes students take every year in MD.  The vision of the curriculum is to create historically literate and well informed citizens who can apply the lessons of the past to the problems of the present; who utilize critical thinking, problem solving and civic action to become engaged in shaping and directing the future of our local, national, and world communities.

Knowledge of the Constitution is essential to be historically literate and to be a well informed citizen.  Beginning in 2nd grade, knowledge of the Constitution is an integral part of the Social Studies curriculum.  

A9E15F98-7A84-437E-AA45-EB3AB2D93A6C.jpeg.01646e4a2232cce87666370603bb8916.jpeg

Edited by 0106
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone!

Happy to hear about Jacqui's @kazu string of good luck recently.  Maybe it will continue, Jacqui.  I don't think you are limited to three things.  You've had enough bad luck to have years of good luck stored up.  

@Cruzin Terri I'm happy that things are turning around for you and you'll be able to stay closer to your home after your anniversary trip.  Try to relax on your trip and just enjoy!   

@smitty34877 Terry, I hope things are continuing to smooth out and you are getting the help you need.  You have done such a wonderful job for such a long time.  That is one of the hardest jobs you can do, especially when you are emotionally invested in the well-being of those you care for.  Care givers need as much care as the patient. 

Inspection is scheduled for my house on Wednesday at 1:00 pm.  While I am allowed to be here, my realtor advises me to find somewhere else to be.  He will stop in during the inspection.  Of course, my innards are all twisted up and will remain so until we get the passing grade.  Meanwhile, the seller of the house in Midland is still sitting on it.  The issue isn't the money, it is the contingency that we sell our homes.  I have sent the sales agreement to my realtor up in Midland and Sue will get a sales agreement to them on Monday and we hope that will satisfy him.  I'm wondering if he is having a hard time letting go of his childhood home.  Closing is scheduled for October 28th on my house in Ohio and I need to have a place to go!

Today's meal sounds really good to me.  

If unfamiliar, Mole (pronounced moh ley) is a rich Mexican sauce made from dried or fresh chilies, nuts or seeds, and tomatoes and can range in color from green to yellow to red and all the way to black (like this Mole Negro). It turns out there are hundreds of variations of mole!

But Mole Negro, or “black mole” is one of my all-time favorites and gets its deep dark color from smoked black chilies, prunes (or raisins), chocolate and warm spices.  It’s velvety and rich, without being cloying, and has a beautiful balance of flavors when you get it just right. Though it is believed to originate from Oaxaca, while there, we learned it is actually a pre-Hispanic sauce, one that has been carried down from the indigenous people who lived before.

827883455_chickenmole5.thumb.jpg.bd9d93be24edb87873033772fcdc58dc.jpg

The first recipe is from the Food Network.   A celebrated dish in Mexico, this entree is all about the mole sauce — made with cloves, cinnamon, anise, coriander, dried chiles and chocolate. Incorporate toasted sesame seeds into the sauce and as a garnish for deep nutty flavor!

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/chicken-mole-recipe-1972934

869558017_chickenmole1.jpeg.bf944a58eaa8276a1b9db2545c71b16e.jpeg

This next recipe comes from Food and Wine and is from Chef Ofelia Barajas of La Guerrera's Kitchen in Oakland.  It is inspired by her grandmother's recipe from her restaurant in Guerrero, Mexico.  

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/chicken-mole

1799039562_chickenmole2.thumb.jpg.8d3807b99b1c3925519d567bbc6c2778.jpg

This next one is from Epicurious and is a little different from the previous recipes.   https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/chicken-mole-352649

2027830772_chickenmole3.jpg.32aa75b0b332f52ff3523dafdd9a9526.jpg

This last one is vegan adaptable.  Just substitute for the chicken and you're good to go.  https://www.feastingathome.com/chicken-mole-negro/

1957373290_chickenmole4.thumb.jpg.319d0bcd3a9c176d09a6022a1eb07369.jpg

Wishing you all the best of days.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 15

Good morning Dailyites. A fine Saturday morning. 

Prayers lifted, celebration and Cheers planned for later. We were invited to dinner and a fun band playing tonight but already have girls invited for Mahjongg. 

Prayers out to those in Fiona's path and WHOA on the storm heading for Alaska!

Citizenship and Constitution Days are very important days to celebrate. I hope the migrants are enjoying their stay in Martha's Vineyard. 

@kazu Jacqui loved your story this morning. Thank you for that lesson as I missed reading that part in Genesis. 

image.png.34edaa6bb1698c50cc760799db21d1ba.png

image.png.ad3f7c231806de18ab0e2d9dc091a0b3.png

Enjoy your weekend.  Stay safe. Sending you blessings and prayers. Xx

• Like 11
  • Haha 12

Good morning and thanks for the Daily.I asked the three teachers in the extended family (in three different states) about the Constitution being taught in schools. They reported back that it is definitely taught in their schools.

Thank you Debbie @dfish for both the beautiful recipes and the kind words. We are regrouping here and daily “chores” have been more evenly split amongst us which has brought a much calmer feeling to the house. I realized that I was running on adrenaline for a long time and really need to step back a bit. Tana has been able to rest more comfortably and likes the wonderful home health aide.

I am so impressed with the British people and their response to the Queen’s death. DH and I wondered if our fellow citizens would  stand on line(NY for queue) like  that. 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all! A salute to citizens and to Red Pandas. Chicken Mole sounds good, and I still have some mole sauce in the freezer, so that sounds like a plan. We’ve never been to Exmouth, Australia, at least not yet.

This morning I watched the sun rise over the mountains! Due to the fires, it’s been at least ten days since we’ve seen a sunrise or the mountains at all. The day has just gradually gotten less dark. Watching a sunrise and breathing freely while outdoors is a treat!

Yesterday was spent dealing with government agencies on assorted housekeeping issues. Necessary, but uninteresting.

Happy Saturday, everyone. Two Saturdays from now is the start of our adventures aboard a BHB!

• Like 22

Good Morning All,

So far it’s a quiet day here. Either today or tomorrow I’ll probably attend the Harvest Festival at a local Polish church. I’m half Polish (newly discovered) and interested in the traditions, including foods.

Today’sWine:

Domaine Ste. Michelle Brut, Columbia Valley, Washington

Today's wine selection is a sparkling wine from the Columbia Valley in Washington. I’m finding it for around $10.

Winemaker Notes

Not too dry or sweet, Michelle Brut is a palate-pleasing sparkling wine that delivers aromas and flavors of apples and citrus with a light, toasty finish.

Blend: 63% Chardonnay, 19% Pinot Noir, 18% Pinot Gris

Critical Acclaim

W&S90

Wine & Spirits

Broad and expressive in its pear and lemon aromas, this steal of a sparkler has wonderful cut. It’s driven by clean, chalky minerality and a modest phenolic bite that will make it sing with a meal—even a simple roast chicken. Domaine Ste. Michelle, Paterson, WA

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 7

11 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

If you had the same president for 70 years, they probably would.

Interesting thought.

I doubt it, though.
As a US born and bred lady, I truly do not understand how the royalty works. It appears to be more of a keeper of traditions and uniter of patriotism, and aside from much of the politics. Kind of an extra-political leadership. In the US, we are so highly politicized (especially now, but over the past 20 years) that I can’t see that type of response (large numbers of people going and standing in line for those amounts of time.).

Please understand I’m not trying to bring in politics, and I honestly do not understand the role of royalty. (I’m not criticizing it in any way.) I’m interested in learning.

• Like 19