Best Comment Ever From A Crew Member

ReneeFLL

11 hours ago, Stealthdog said:

I hate line jumpers, but I'm not sure people potentially missing their flights would be my favorite experience.  😞

I don't know the whole situation you had, but if I was not in a rush and people had early flights, I probably would have offered them to jump in.  If the crew member actually said they should have gotten up earlier, that crew member should be fired, or at best go through some remedial customer service training.  

If everyone was waiting and no one had gotten off, yes.

But when group 28 has been called and the person is group 5, NOPE.

And anyway, no way they are going to make a flight in 30 minutes.  Remember, boarding ends 15 - 20 minutes before departure, so she only had 10 - 15 minutes to get to the airport and through security and to the gate.   Assuming she was checked in and only had carry on.

As a service employee I so want to tell it like it is….but I don’t.  My response would have simply been “I’m sorry but you need to go to the back of the line”. Repeat firmly as necessary.  

Yep, they should have gotten up early or skipped breakfast or whatever it was that made them late.  

Boarding Liberty recently in a suite we were told “. You’re late.  You should have been here on time”.  We arrived at maybe 11:15 for an 11:00 board time.  Grumpy older lady.  Not a good first impression.  DH and I just looked at each other.  The rest of the trip was great.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, SRF said:

And anyway, no way they are going to make a flight in 30 minutes.  Remember, boarding ends 15 - 20 minutes before departure, so she only had 10 - 15 minutes to get to the airport and through security and to the gate.   Assuming she was checked in and only had carry on.

"has to be at the airport in 30 minutes" does not necessarily mean that the flight departs in 30 minutes.  It could simply be the timeframe to meet the suggested arriving 2/3 hours early.

8 hours ago, Stealthdog said:

Crew members are not there to provide commentary or to tell the truth.  They are not your friends.  They are there to provide a service.  Ridiculing or giving rude comments to paying customers is not a good business model.

Maybe not, but sometimes people need to be put in their place. Hopefully they will plan better next time.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, crazyank said:

Better hope we're not in line behind you because you'll promptly get an earful, as will the line cutters.

If the crew member actually said they should have gotten up earlier, that crew member should be fired, or at best go through some remedial customer service training.  

Why?  for telling the truth?

That’s exactly what I heard. There’s no reason for me to make this up. This is the first time I have ever heard a crew member say it like it is. Normally they don’t do anything.

5 hours ago, hannibal54 said:

If that passenger needed to be at the airport in 30 minutes, hadn't even gotten off the ship or picked up their luggage and went through customs. They wouldn't have made it to the airport on time.

I second your thoughts on this. If she had a flight and was that tight on time, she is already too late. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stealthdog said:

"... but if I was not in a rush and people had early flights, I probably would have offered them to jump in...."

So, does this mean you would have let them have your place and then you would then go to the end of the line?  Otherwise, wouldn't you be negatively impacting everyone behind you, who may also have their own time concerns but arrived at the appriate time, only to then become late because people let others "jump" in line with them?  The only rightful course not to affect those behind you would be for you to go to the end of the line...

My favorite line was "yes, double shots are free and included in your Deluxe Beverage Package..."

Edited by The Scurvy Pirate
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

So, does this mean you would have let them have your place and then you would then go to the end of the line?  Otherwise, wouldn't you be negatively impacting everyone behind you, who may also have their own time concerns but arrived at the appriate time, only to then become late because people let others "jump" in line with them?  The only rightful course not to affect those behind you would be for you to go to the end of the line...

My favorite line was "yes, double shots are free and included in your Deluxe Beverage Package..."

Totally agree with this. If someone has compassion for the late person, and they want to allow them to cut the line, then they should just give up their place in line and go to the back. If you're not willing to do that, then you really have no right to let someone get in front of you because if everyone did that, the line could end up twice as long for everyone else. 

• Like 4

People who would get so butt-hurt when a crew member makes a comment like that.....saying they should get remedial training or even be fired....get over yourselves. If they fired every employee who spoke the truth, you would be complaining about the understaffing. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On one cruise we were doing self assist so we were downstairs and in line very early.  There was maybe 50 people in front of us and after a very short time hundreds now in line behind us.

We were standing their patiently waiting when a couple gets off the elevator and joins another couple in front of us.  So we think okay maybe they’re flying together and we didn’t think anything of it.  About 10 mins later at least 25 more people got off the elevator and tried to join these same two couples at the front of the line!!!  

At this point several people near us went ballistic and told them that wasn’t happening and they could just take themselves to the end of a very long line!!  They pretended at first they didn’t understand what people were saying (they were Japanese) but once people got so mad they all went (except for the original two couples)  and took themselves to the back of the line!!

• Like 2

I have always dreaded the chaotic lack of organization in the disembarkation process.  My last disembarkation was 48 hours ago, Voyager of the Seas in Boston, so it is still fresh in my mind.  We followed the rules, left our room to allow the room attendant access, and waited in the Schooner Bar just near the elevator for our number to be called.

Many people exited the elevator and simply turned left to get into the line, rather than turn right to get into the waiting area.  Are they considered line jumpers?  I don't think they knew they were not supposed to enter the line, as the one person directing people was all over the place, so many times not there to monitor those exiting the elevator and entering the line.

Next, about 8:45 a couple exits the elevator and stands next to us.  They said the TV in the room only showed Groups 1 and 2 as called.  I told them the announcements said they were calling groups 1 through 12.  The hallway monitors showed groups 1 through 9 were called, and the employee monitoring the line with his walkie talkie was saying groups 1 - 7.

At the same time you could see people in line to exit with group tags on their carry-ons, I saw a 16 and a 21.  At least one couple was making a scene about the entire mess, several others chirped unhappiness also.           

I did see several occasions where self assist came to the area at 8:15 and 8:30 and 8:45 and balked that they had to wait in the huge line that stretched from outside mid deck where they scanned your sea pass, through  the forward section of deck 4, to 50 feet down the outside deck on the opposite side of the ship.  I heard a few say to the monitor, .....but I'm self assist, I should go to the front, to which he simply said, ......there is only one line here, you could have entered it long ago, but now others have also been called.........

DW and I entered the line after 9 o'clock, saw many with group numbers higher than ours, and exactly 60 minutes later were seated in a taxi headed to the airport.

I hate the chaotic process, and this last experience was not our worst one.  To be honest, I don't think RCL really cares much about the order people exit, as long as it keeps moving.  

Eddie

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eddie Wilson said:

They said the TV in the room only showed Groups 1 and 2 as called.  I told them the announcements said they were calling groups 1 through 12.  The hallway monitors showed groups 1 through 9 were called, and the employee monitoring the line with his walkie talkie was saying groups 1 - 7.

This is one of my biggest complaints.  Is it really that hard for all of these things to be consistent?  I guess for Royal's technology department, it is.

8 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

If this person did make a mistake and overslept the crew member should have done everything to make sure that customer got off the ship and had a chance to make their flight.

This would become like chair hogs. One person does it so others do it also so they get the same thing/treatment. It’s called being accountable for one’s self. What ever happened to that. Something tells me this person just didn’t want to wait in the long line.

7 hours ago, poocher said:

Spent 25 years as a customer service manager for Macys and 10 in a municipal tax department.  You can THINK “should have got your butt out of bed earlier “. You can’t SAY it.  The proper course of action from a CS standpoint would have been to pass the person off to a supervisor/manager & let them have the conversation and make a decision.  

Start passing off a lot of people saying they will be late for their flight so they can get in the front of the line also? Managers have better things to do.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On our last B2B , we came down the aft elevators to go forward to the theater for the B2B cruisers. Guy in front on the elevator informed us where the back of the line. So we just went up to 6, down the stairs and on to the theater. He probably wouldn't have believed me anyway, 

On Oasis class, we now use Central Park to get to the other end of the ship.

6 hours ago, Dan83 said:

If I remember correctly, this crew member that was regulating the debarkation line also works in adventure ocean. So she’s trained to deal with childish behavior…. This line did move fast though. I remember walking out the cabin door at 6:45 and then getting through airport security at 7:15. Very smooth process. Although we didn’t book the 8 am flight(and I don’t recommend booking one that early) we were able to get on standby….

When we were in line about 8:40 - 8:45 the line was moving very slow. It took us at least 15 - 20 minutes to get into the terminal once we got in line outside the MDR. I have never been in such a long line to get off. Then it was a mess outside and took Uber awhile to get there.

5 hours ago, Stealthdog said:

I get that perpective.  I get alot of anxiety travelling and am always worried about missing flights. If I had my way Id be at an airport 6 hours before a flight.  I get the same way on excursions - i even get worried when on the cruise excursion even though I know the ship will wait.

If someone really had debarkation #5 and there was a long line to get off the ship, and I was 20 something, i would have shown those people compassion.  Who knows how many people were even in line with a later number that wasnt even called yet.  They were given #5 for a reason.  Was the crew member also verifying other peoples departure number and kicking people out of the line if their number wasnt called yet?

We just got off the symphony and the ship started debarking about 20 minutes late.  Once they started, they called 1-22 together.  So, its not always that simple.  

They didn’t group so many numbers together. We were having breakfast and were listening to the numbers being called waiting for our turn. I think they did about 8 - 10 at a time.

2 hours ago, Toddcan said:

disappointing... I came here to read best comments from a crew member... 😉

Best comment for me is: Welcome Aboard! 

I also thought there would be more funny comments that were overheard. It didn’t catch on like I thought it would.

Welcome Aboard? The ship or the plane? 😁 Wonder if they made it or were they just making stuff up? 🤷🏼

1 hour ago, LEMJMcC said:

No charge

I would love to hear that sometimes. 

58 minutes ago, Eddie Wilson said:

…Many people exited the elevator and simply turned left to get into the line, rather than turn right to get into the waiting area.  Are they considered line jumpers?  I don't think they knew they were not supposed to enter the line, as the one person directing people was all over the place, so many times not there to monitor those exiting the elevator and entering the line.…

That’s what was happening with people turning left off of the elevators and why the girl was there. She directed them to go to the back of the line. Didn’t hear anyone else have a problem with it.

15 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Does the captain  count? Last week at the tier party he said he was going to take us to cozumel because some of us hadnt been there ... it's a standing joke out of Galveston every ship goes to cozumel. 

I like captain james. He says hes from tampa but has a southern drawl. He said he will be bringing allure into texas for us. Hes got a lot more personality than liberty cd. Everyone loves him.

speaking about Captain James, did you find it odd that everytime he was out and about the ship he never had a mask on, at the same time all other crew members had a mask on

11 hours ago, Stealthdog said:

Crew members are not there to provide commentary or to tell the truth.  They are not your friends.  They are there to provide a service.  Ridiculing or giving rude comments to paying customers is not a good business model.

it seems to me that they did provide a service, to all the passengers who got up early enough and were already in line

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Eddie Wilson said:

I have always dreaded the chaotic lack of organization in the disembarkation process.  My last disembarkation was 48 hours ago, Voyager of the Seas in Boston, so it is still fresh in my mind.  

The week prior (disembarked from the Voyager TA), we walked off about 9 AM.  No line.  🙂

13 hours ago, Stealthdog said:

In this case, that crew member was providing a service, and being respectful of passengers — all of the passengers that got up early and got in line when they were supposed to in order to make their post cruise travel arrangements.  For me, this is exactly the kind of business model I want to see — having a system/policy and applying it to everyone — ie, get to the back of the line.  Besides, if that person truly had a flight in 30 minutes, cutting in line was not going to help them make the flight —  get off the ship, go thru customs, find car/transport, drive to airport, check in, go thru security and then walk potentially a long way down the terminal in 30 minutes??  Not possible.

Edited by 3kidsncats
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

This would become like chair hogs. One person does it so others do it also so they get the same thing/treatment. It’s called being accountable for one’s self. What ever happened to that. Something tells me this person just didn’t want to wait in the long line.

Start passing off a lot of people saying they will be late for their flight so they can get in the front of the line also? Managers have better things to do.

Actually that is EXACTLY what a manager is supposed to do, handle escalated customer service issues, freeing the CSR to keep the line moving.  It’s not a lot of people, just those who refuse to comply after repeated polite instructions.  Most people will argue/grumble for a few minutes then do as asked.