The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday September 28th, 2022

richwmn

Today is National Drink Beer Day, National Good Neighbor Day, and National Public Lands Day

Peace begins with a smile..--Mother Teresa

Meal Suggestion for today - vegetarian miso tahini squash soup with brown rice
Drink of the Day - Bourbon Cider Cocktail
Wine of the Day - Tooth & Nail 2019 The Fiend Red (Paso Robles) Cent
Destination of the Day - Nha Trang, Vietnam

Eurodam

Sitka, Baranof Island, Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Halifax, Canada

Noordam

Sitka, Baranof Island, Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Trieste, Italy - 19:00

Rotterdam

Alesund, Norway 08:00 - 17:00

Volendam

At Sea Destination Agios Nikolaos, Crete Greece eta 09/29

Westerdam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 15:00 - 18:00

Zaandam

Baie Comeau, Quebec, Canada 10;30am - 8:00pm

Zuiderdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

0928World.thumb.png.1f3e489f57d0dee90327f35580f77af1.png

0928Alaska.thumb.png.60e53c417158ae70866a8f4ad5d44aeb.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 9

Thank you for the Hump Day report, Rich.  I'll pass on the beer but love the other 2 days.  A great reminder from Mother Theresa.  I've been to Vietnam on the Zaandam but not Nha Trang.  I think I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Spaghetti Pomodoro, Lamb Cutlets, and Pistachio Gelato as I enjoyed in Oosterdam's Canaletto September 28, 2017 in a dinner with @Copper10-8.

dishes28.jpg

Today’s care list:

Threat from Ian
RIP MissG DFIL 9/22/22
Western wildfires
Tthose in Fiona’s wake
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
From the rotation:
Strength for luvteaching’s friend Karen after Wayne’s 9/3 death
Sandi’s neighbor Linda
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Surgery expedited for Quartzite Cruiser DH
last week of work for kplady
4 days for Dismomx5 (Rotterdam 10/2 to 10/27)
3 days for HorizoCn Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12)
1 day for LoveTheBeach (Adventure OTS 9/29 to 10/8)
Rowsby in Hawaii until 10/28
Cunnorl’s luggage in transit to Noordam
53 years for Cruising-along
New dishwasher for Aliaschief
fatcat04 (Nieuw Statendam to 10/2), sailingdutchy (Oosterdam  to 10/10), and  Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 11

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

Happy Hump Day!

I'm not much of a beer drinker but I try to be a good neighbour.  Public lands are important.

Great quote from a great lady.

I'll pass on the meal and the drink, hope the wine is good.

Never been to Vietnam, thanks in advance for pictures and comments.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 23

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich and Roy for the various lists.

I had to get blood tests,and blood pressure check up this morning at my doctor's then we went for breakfast.

I like beer.

Excellent quote.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list and those in the hurricane path.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

IMG_20220928_102917.jpg

• Like 30

Good morning from stormy Southwest Florida.

Ian is inching it's way closer to us, experts still not sure of the exact point of landfall, right now it looks like Englewood Beach which is where we usually head to for beach days, about 20 miles west of our condo.

Winds are expected to be 140 maybe 150 MPH when it makes landfall which is a Cat 4. It rained most of the night and the wind is starting to pick up. Hurricanes also spawn tornadoes which is what I fear most.

Right now they are predicting landfall around 2PM and with the strong winds we expect to lose power, Florida Power and Light is a pretty good company and I'm sure they will restore power as soon as possible after the storm passes by. Right now all emergency services have been suspended. That's it's for now, will post more later.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 25

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I enjoy a good beer on occasion but usually refrain from drinking on a school night.  I try to be a good neighbor and the senior next door appreciates me during winter.  I’m curious about today’s meal suggestion but am not typically a squash fan.  Hoping that everyone stays safe and has a good day today.

image.thumb.png.40a7b106475a99c4f057abaf9542dfa3.png

• Like 17
  • Haha 12

Good morning  everyone. We are watching the progress of Ian with trepidation. Prayers for all who are in its  path  in Florida and Georgia.

We are very grateful for Good neighbors .We certainly have many of those right on our street.The other day a woman that I only know to say hello to brought over a delicious vegetarian casserole with rice and leeks.I was so touched by her generosity. Our next door neighbors have helped many times with getting  Tana and her  WC down and up our many steps.We try to return favors but the scale is tipped in their favor.

Beer and I parted company(a good thing) many years ago but it is still something  I miss.We have not been to the port and I am probably  the only one who would like today's  recipe.

I made  a chicken skillet recipe yesterday with lemons and shallot .I think it was a hit.There were no leftovers  so that is a good sign.Today we have a vegetarian  chili in our plans.

The  home health aide we had recently called yesterday to report that she has tested positive  for covid.She and  Tana always wear masks but  the rest of us have not indoors. We will start testing soon and hope fir the best.We have one woman coming for 4 hours today. I am trying very hard not to panic.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 7

Good morning! Here in the Panhandle we are pretty much out of the hurricane’s window. We are on a wind alert but I’m not sure if that is caused by the cold front as we are 62 F this morning. We could use some rain as we are also in a fire alert ;we are really dry and no rain in forecast. I will just say to all of you in Ian’s path I pray for your safety and that you don’t sustain damage. Close to a Cat 5 this morning!🙏

I flew into Nha Trang a couple of times but it definitely was not a holiday!

Roy thanks for the celebration listing but I hope that’s only for today! 
Headed out for a walk when it gets lighter and then have a checkup doctor’s appointment.

Graham your eating capacity amazes me!😱

Thanks Rich for the report and to all our contributors.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone!

And a wonderful morning it is.  We have a house!   As predicted, we met in the middle between yesterday's counter offers.  I am so excited that this is over and I won't be homeless for too long.  I'll get photos soon.  Some cardboardeaux is in the future.  

Miso is a traditional Japanese seasoning. It is a thick paste produced by fermenting soybeans with salt and kōji (the fungus Aspergillus oryzae) and sometimes rice, barley, seaweed, or other ingredients. It is used for sauces and spreads, pickling vegetables, fish, or meats, and mixing with dashi soup stock to serve as miso soup, a Japanese culinary staple. Miso is high in protein and rich in vitamins and minerals, and it played an important nutritional role in feudal Japan. Miso is still widely used in Japan, both in traditional and modern cooking, and has been gaining worldwide interest.

Typically, miso is salty, but its flavor and aroma depend on the ingredients and fermentation process. Different varieties of miso have been described as salty, sweet, earthy, fruity, and savory.

For more information:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miso

Tahini is a Middle Eastern condiment made from toasted ground hulled sesame. It is served by itself (as a dip) or as a major ingredient in hummus, baba ghanoush, and halva.

Tahini is used in the cuisines of the Levant and Eastern Mediterranean, the South Caucasus, as well as parts of North Africa. Sesame paste (though not called tahini) is also used in some East Asian cuisines.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahini

Our first recipe comes from Epicurious.  A mixture of savory miso and nutty tahini adds a creamy richness to this filling vegetarian soup. A good dose of ginger and garlic, plus a few drops of hot chili oil, adds a punch of heat, making it the perfect cure-all on a blustery day.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/vegetarian-miso-tahini-squash-soup-with-brown-rice

1168742494_vegetarianmisosoup1.jpg.fb950bf1283d1706abcc06006396c1c7.jpg

I love soups, especially when the weather gets cold.   Leftover short grain brown rice for the soup, which is a little starchier than long grain, works perfectly. The kale and rice provide texture and the squash is so naturally creamy, it’s irresistible and provides such a beautiful, earth color.

https://maroscooking.com/2017/12/12/miso-tahini-squash-soup-with-brown-rice/

637571860_vegetarianmisosoup2.jpg.04d3810b1d6f728808bc7b1ca6a0d4db.jpg

The miso tahini soup it is simple, hearty, and restorative with brown rice, winter squash, and a creamy miso-tahini broth. Avocado, lemon zest, toasted nori, and chives kept things lively and beautiful up top.

https://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/miso-tahini-soup-recipe.html

1313603559_vegetarianmisosoup3.jpg.f26ef7782dcabf6b4e214d65b73d035a.jpg

I think I like #2.

Wishing everyone a great day.  Prayers for those in the path of Ian and hoping our Floridians check in often and let us know they are ok.   My niece and her family are safely in Tennessee and for that I give thanks.

• Like 37
  • Thanks 7

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Rich.

Great collection of days.  I know many will celebrate drink beer day.  me?  

B6ACCE3B-749D-4ACD-8F96-09891CA15CE1.thumb.jpeg.0e21144f386af1eb2359e17b877c5bb1.jpeg

I am blessed with good neighbours and try to be good to them.  Public lands are a treasure.  Love the Mother Theresa statement.

Not sure about today’s meal - I like squash but not so much the other ingredient 😉 Another rainy day here - it must be Grief Counselling meeting day 😉. Only good thing is it might keep the construction crews from working on the roads 🤞 I still plan on leaving an hour early to be safe.  I can fill extra time easily by getting the SUV’s tires torqued if I have it.

CBDFC8A3-87AA-4671-8621-6855D17AA096.jpeg.90b196d93f7967fa597327e6a1a18ed4.jpeg

Thanks everyone for your encouragement on the cruise.  Am going to talk to my friends today and make sure I am not making a rash decision.

@smitty34877oh no on the home health aide 😱 I hope you can all keep testing negative and your aide recovers easily.   Can the company provide someone else for you in the meantime?

@dfishDebbie, I am SO happy for you 🙂 Congrats on your new home 👍 

Ian is coming in ferociously I fear.  My prayers for everyone in Ian’s path.  it’s going to be a very scary day for all too many 😢 I hope everyone can stay safe 🙏🏻 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list, those in Ian’s path and for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Wednesday everyone.

331CBF8E-710C-4A2D-8A2B-D33CF06C8CC9.thumb.jpeg.20a7ac03adcc1d9ce18504cb769b4431.jpeg

Stay very safe today, please

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Roy thank you for keeping up with our happenings. Lenda, please thank DH for that amazing picture of Jupiter. Even more special after the great news he got yesterday!

There was a steady drizzle here this morning and just a hint of a breeze from the East. Bindi appreciated that!

I am hoping to get my haircut done this morning before the real storm arrives. And if I am really lucky, I will get one class in at the gym. My neighbors and I have all checked on each other. We are all staying. Those of us with generators allow our neighbors to run extension cords from them, so if there is a power outage, they can run their refrigerators from them. I am so lucky to live in this neighborhood. 

I love this!

F9EDE195-285C-48F7-B599-B2EBDE78F10B.jpeg.94f48a2030a016742af6775f00167596.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! stay well everyone!

Tooth & Nail 2019 The Fiend Red (Paso Robles)

This is one intense blend. And I love the name. But before I bought a bottle, I would need a taste. Sometimes Malbecs and I do not agree. Available from several online distributors with prices starting at $28.99.

Winemaker Notes

Blend: 83% Malbec, 14% Cabernet Sauvignon, 3% Petite Sirah

WE94 Wine Enthusiast

Rich aromas black cherry, cola, milk chocolate and purple flowers show on the nose of this blend of 83% Malbec, 14% Cabernet Sauvignon and 3% Petite Sirah. The tannic tension is quite firm on the sip, where fresh boysenberry, baking spice and cracked pepper deliver a lengthy experience. Drink 2022-2039.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1

While watching all the latest hurricane news on TV here in SW Florida I just noticed that the destination of the day is Nha Trang, Vietnam, I spent a year there in 1968 but not on vacation but as a participant in the Vietnam war. It was beautiful back then with a fabulous beach right across the street from the the main gate of our Air Force base. I've heard it's become quite a resort area for many in the region and Australians.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Still  holding strong here.  Hurricane and Tornado warnings until tonight.  Has rained steady for the last 24 hours with the worse yet to come.

Bourbon Cider cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Maker's Mark® Bourbon
1 tsp to 1 tbsp Sugar
2 dashes Bitters
3 parts Hard Cider, Dry
Garnish with Maraschino Cherries

Instructions
In a champagne glass, stir together the sugar and the bitters until the sugar dissolves. Add Makers Mark® Bourbon. Top with cold cider. Garnish with a cherry and slice of orange.

Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 7.59.10 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 9

Good morning,

Thank you to Rich for the Fleet Report and the Daily and to Roy for the Lists.

We have our communication restored.  It came back about 2 AM this morning.

I don’t think i can sleep on this sofa any more.  Basically I am not sleeping very well.  My back is still hurting from the fall I took two weeks ago and this is not a comfortable place to sleep.

Given the new path of IAN, I am not sure we will get to Barbados.  There should be a third landfall around Savannah, Georgia, which is about 15 miles south of us.  We are under a flash flood and tropical storm warning.  So I do not know if the roads will be passable on Sunday for us to get to Jacksonville Airport for our flight to Miami and on to Barbados,.  We will try if we can, but we are not sure.

If we don’t go, we do not have a place to stay.  I realize that staying in this house is not the right decision.  The only reason we are here is because it was more dangerous to stay in the condo where we were.  That was right on the beach.

I am praying that we do not have another water event in this house.  If we do, I don’t know what we will do at that point.  This place is a mess already.  

It is an interesting collection of days.  

i don’t drink beer.  I don’t like it.  I try to be a good neighbor.  

We all need to appreciate our public lands.

I like the quote from Mother Teresa.

I will skip the meal, wine and drinks.

I have not been to Nha Trang, Vietnam.

I will keep you all in my prayers, especially those in Florida.  Likewise I ask for prayers for those in our area where Ian is espected to make another landfall with dangerous storm surges. 

@dfishCongratulations on reaching an agreeable price on the house.  I wish you a smooth move and many happy years in your new home.

@kazuI hope you do decide to go on a holiday cruise.  i do think it will be a good distraction during a particuarly difficult time of year.

@grapau27I hope your blood tests are good.  That’s a big breakfast.  Where do you put it all?  All that would be enough for a week for me. LOL.

@smitty34877i am sorry that Tana’s aide has Covid.  Here’s praying that the rest of you are not affected.

I have not found my earring.  I have St. Anthony on overtime.  He is not coming through,

Prayers for all who need them and cheers to those who are celebrating and cruising.  

Stay safe everyone. 

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Good morning from central Texas. It should be sunny today after the sun rises.

We try to be good neighbors, and we have good neighbors here and in AZ.  I used to drink beer, but lately, I seem to have lost my taste for it.  Fortunately, I haven’t lost my taste for wine. 🍷 Our public lands should be preserved for all to enjoy.

Mother Teresa's quote is very true.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink, but I'd like to try the wine.

We have been to three ports in Vietnam, but Nha Trang was not one of them.  I hope someone has pictures to share.

Our thoughts are with those who are in Ian's path. Stay safe everyone.

@dfish  Debbie, I'll echo @cat shepard Ann's WOO HOO! I'm very happy for you and Sue getting the house.  

@rafinmd  Roy, thanks for adding DH to the celebration list for today.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm sorry about the aide testing positive.  Sending positive thoughts no one gets covid again.

Since it was late yesterday when I posted the picture of Jupiter DH took with his telescope, I thought I'd repost it for those that missed it.

IMG_0331.jpg.5a06987f8f3c974f16dbe39b12b09a61.jpg

Now, I off to clean house.

Lenda

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Checking in.  We have been away for a few days with DH’s family.  Some family members flew in from CA for a mini family reunion.  Nephew wanted to see family before joining the Space Force!  They only take in 500 a year so a very select group.  

Prayers for all on the care list and for those in the direct path of Ian.  May his strength decrease and no loss of life for all impacted.

Covid starting again here in PA.  In last 2 weeks four friends have contracted the virus — all fully vaccinated and very careful where they go — basically staying home unless absolutely necessary.  One friend is hospitalized.  Crazy!  Covid needs to end — NOW.

Katherine

• Like 26