The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday October 6th, 2022

richwmn

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, thank you Debbie for today's recipes, and thank you Dixie for today's cocktail recipe. And thankyou all for being here!

Stay Safe!

- Jack

• Like 20

Greetings from another rainy day in Barbados.

I wish we would get to see the sun. We could have stayed home if we wanted to see the rain.

Glad I brought some books to read and downloaded some movies on my Ipad.  

Thank you Rich for continuing to provide us with the Daily and Fleet Report even though you are on vacation.  That is what I call dedication!

i like the quote.  I appreciate PAs and I guess there is a time for silliness so I appreciate Mad Hatter day as well. As for come and take it, there are plenty of things in my garage right now that are up for grabs and not going back in my house. So come and take it, if you wish.

Going to pass on the meal, drinks and wine.  We get what we get here.

There is a wedding here today and I sure hope that the weather clears up for the bride and groom.  It is supposed to take place on the lawn.  

Yesterday I went to the spa and had a facial and a massage.  While I thought the massage would help my aches and pains from the fall, in effect, I feel worse.  I made two more appointments before I left, however after a painful night, i am going to cancel those appointments.

It is nice to see a group of Dailyites cruising together.  I hope you all have a wonderful time and enjoy each others company.  

Prayers for all on the cares list and cheers to those celebrating and cruising or on vacation.  May you have sunny skies.

Hope everyone is having a great day and staying safe,

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 22

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We have been fortunate to visit Shanghai twice.  We were there on Volendam on October 15, 2002, and on Coral Princess on October 18, 2018.  In the intervening 16 years between visits the air had improved.

In 2002, the air was very bad, and that will be obvious in the pictures.  We were supposed to sail up the Huangpu River and dock in downtown Shanghai.  Because of the tides, our arrival would have been delayed until 10-11 am.  Captain Peter Harris decided instead to dock in the industrial port and HAL provided free shuttles into the city.  It was a good way to see more of the area.

We had a band greet us upon arrival.

IMG_1351.thumb.JPG.cef629d492c1158389539ace2b1f73a2.JPG

The next photos are from 2002 and 2018 to show the difference in the air quality.  The Pearl Tower in 2002, and looking across the river to the Pearl Tower in 2018.  The other difference was all the new tall buildings in 2018.  In 2002, the Peral Tower was the tallest building in Shanghai.  In 2018, the Shanghai Tower, on the right hand side of the picture,  was the tallest.  The building with the "hole" in it was the one the ship's tours visited. 

IMG_1383.thumb.JPG.47d6f2e39be2f89af93624589d2a4e77.JPG

DSC04593.thumb.JPG.bd4336003622e6bb926754678a3bd4b3.JPG

The Shanghai skyline

DSC04587.thumb.JPG.6df899d34b9df99e9a13a38398e83e02.JPG

In 2002, we walked to an older part of Shanghai.

IMG_1367.thumb.JPG.74d6d1836ca27a06a399a6a6179b2fa3.JPG

IMG_1420.thumb.JPG.4148f77e6d95c7259e39c2289a0f1d2a.JPG

We also visited the Pearl Tower by taking a "train" under the river.  We also took the "train" in 2018.

DSC04606.thumb.JPG.2c23140a2ba70c9dec3c4ad828d41f56.JPG

Part of the light show in the tunnel

DSC04613.thumb.JPG.1dc22af38b3880e8503e831184f8a9c6.JPG

Looking up a t the tower and the lobby in the base

IMG_1394.thumb.JPG.f032fec96fafb39b39e21c2c61919eb8.JPG

IMG_1396.thumb.JPG.774a3c06c666d904f8234e4e50639702.JPG

It's time to leave for my jabs.  I'll post the rest of the pictures later.

Lenda

IMG_1396.JPG

Great photos Lenda.

I had the new Moderna double vaccines jab and the flu jab 75 minutes ago and so far so good.

Graham.

• Like 11

Good morning all!

I just sent a text to our son-in-law wishing him a Happy Physician Assistant Day.  Last year I remember he didn't know it was his special day. Very proud of him, and he's been on the list of best Seattle Physicians for several years.

Well another night of poor/no sleep.  Just seems to be what I do the days before a cruise.  And when I woke up I was greeted with the news that Gaspe has been removed from our itinerary...I'd rather it was one of the other ports, but we'll survive.  We'll be on a BHB!

@seagarsmokerJoy @Seasick Sailorhas already given you good info and I see that you've already found the website so I'll just add that we've used this service a few times and have never been disappointed.  We hope to use it again at the end of this cruise on Nov. 5.  Strangely yesterday when I tried to set it up, it said it couldn't find that date....hoping it was just a site issue and will try again today.  We can always sign up during the cruise too, but I like to have things done ahead of time.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Morning from a chilly and dry Durango today. Low 40's last night.... high yesterday was 61F. Today is supposed to me a smidge warmer. Trees at the higher elevations are lovely and here in the lower elevations they are turning fast. When I speak of our being in the lower elevations, remember I am talking 6250 feet. It's all in your point of view.

Have been to Shanghai several times. The first time in the mid-80's.... the last time about 8 years ago. The city really changed in that time. Probably will not be going back. I think I will pass on food and drink although they look interesting. I am so envious of those on BHBs and those that are about to board, but I need to get things done here before venturing away.

Susan

• Like 20

My day is not going that great , I flossed a crown right off.  Caught it before it went down the sink, called the dentist, he can see me regarding the crown on 11/21.  I said, well i have an appointment for next week, cant we just switch which tooth?  The receptionist said she would warn him, come on guys...its mildly painful...

And in regards to my earlier weather update, this was just posted for our area-

Special Weather Statement issued October 06 at 11:23AM EDT by NWS Atlanta

...HIGH FIRE DANGER CONDITIONS THIS AFTERNOON INTO THE EVENING FOR PARTS OF NORTH AND WEST AND CENTRAL GEORGIA DUE TO LOW RELATIVE HUMIDITIES...

Relative Humidities of 25 percent or less can be expected for 4 or more hours this afternoon into the evening. Winds will be from the W/NW at 5 to 10 mph.

With dry fuels, high fire danger conditions can be expected.

Please refer to your local burn permitting authorities whether you may burn outdoors. If you do burn outside, use extreme caution.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 8

I'm back from getting my booster and the senior flu shot, and like @grapau27 Graham, so far so good.  No telling what tomorrow will bring.

I have some more pictures from our 2018 visit to Shanghai to share.

After a long wait to get off the Coral Princess and a long wait to go through the Chinese formalities in the terminal, we finally boarded the shuttle bus to downtown Shanghai.  These are some pictures of the area long the riverfront where the shuttle dropped us off.

DSC04585.thumb.JPG.12cdfc11544105d3dd3b04e8a2af3c8b.JPG

DSC04594.thumb.JPG.c468a73673267b83560e7e80dadd694a.JPG

For the garden club

DSC04596.thumb.JPG.0eb6d77c06a3a72788a1691322dc6e43.JPG

We then crossed the river via the tunnel and went to the top of the Shanghai Tower, which at that time was the second tallest building in the world. with 127 or 128 stories, depending on the source.

We went up to the observation deck.

DSC04634.thumb.JPG.b4d74b360017561af2c5b91af1afe274.JPG

The  display in the elevator showing the floor you are passing

DSC04644.thumb.JPG.765282628868109d02f87e8a22fac46e.JPG

Views looking down from the tower.  In the first picture, we were looking down on the tower the ship tour visited.

DSC04629.thumb.JPG.9624cbbbf31142594a38070f1cb4bcc2.JPG

DSC04627.thumb.JPG.04c6614eeeba6576fd6d4a433a7dd931.JPG

DSC04632.thumb.JPG.36ea14085a49ecb57546d259fc8b1259.JPG

Back across the river, we headed to the metro to go the the Citizen Services office of the US Consulate to drop off our mail in ballots.  The metro.

DSC04656.thumb.JPG.e52a973059a0159340d34afee4b3ec56.JPG

Ten stops later, we found our selves in an area that was for the locals, and we did not see any non Chinese.  This is the Shanghai Library.

DSC04659.thumb.JPG.dae9db0c7f473579b0b86d8eb283abfa.JPG

The street we walked to the Consulate.  It turns out, the Citizen Services section was in an office tower in a mall that was two stops in the opposite direction from where we boarded the metro but we didn't know that then.  Taxis would not stop for two Americans, but we found a nice gentleman who got a taxi for us, and gave the driver the address written in Chinese that we were given at the Consulate.  The gentleman insisted on riding with us, and it was a wild ride.  The driver took shortcuts down alleys, and we both were thinking that we were being Shanghaied in Shanghai.  We did reach our destination, and the nice gentleman would not let us pay for the ride.  He continued his journey in the taxi.  We've found many times in our travels that the people are nice and helpful even if the governments aren't.  Anyway, after being put through the x-ray machine, our ballots were dropped in the box for mail to go to Washington, DC in the Consular pouch that night.  While we went out of our way, I'm now glad we did.  We saw a part of Shanghai that few tourists see, and we made a friend.

DSC04661.thumb.JPG.4005ae0dede43cacb8f031e13c844fc4.JPG

After we left the mall, which was very nice and much like the malls in the us, we walked to the metro station I'd spotted from the taxi.  Two stops later, we were back where our journey began.  On the walk back to the riverfront, we walked along a street with several stores that had different food vendors.  We tried on dish from a vendor, but I think it was at a different booth.

DSC04672.thumb.JPG.e02f501998c7a5cd1df73730bae9127d.JPG

We walked along the riverfront and watched the light show on the buildings across the river until it was time to catch the last shuttle back to the ship.  I wish the shuttle was a little later since the show was really just getting going.

DSC04705.thumb.JPG.d23d2bbb76cdb1431df1cc669d22745a.JPG

Lenda

DSC04590.JPG

IMG_1384.JPG

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

4 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning. Did you get my note on buying the gift cards?

Yes I did and thank you!   I went onto HA right away and bought $500 worth.   I will have to pay some of my cc bill down as I am near my limit and buy some more.     I just paid off the last of a 74 day cruise.   The gift cards will come in handy!  

• Like 15

28 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I'm back from getting my booster and the senior flu shot, and like @grapau27 Graham, so far so good.  No telling what tomorrow will bring.

I have some more pictures from our 2018 visit to Shanghai to share.

After a long wait to get off the Coral Princess and a long wait to go through the Chinese formalities in the terminal, we finally boarded the shuttle bus to downtown Shanghai.  These are some pictures of the area long the riverfront where the shuttle dropped us off.

DSC04585.thumb.JPG.12cdfc11544105d3dd3b04e8a2af3c8b.JPG

DSC04594.thumb.JPG.c468a73673267b83560e7e80dadd694a.JPG

For the garden club

DSC04596.thumb.JPG.0eb6d77c06a3a72788a1691322dc6e43.JPG

We then crossed the river via the tunnel and went to the top of the Shanghai Tower, which at that time was the second tallest building in the world. with 127 or 128 stories, depending on the source.

We went up to the observation deck.

DSC04634.thumb.JPG.b4d74b360017561af2c5b91af1afe274.JPG

The  display in the elevator showing the floor you are passing

DSC04644.thumb.JPG.765282628868109d02f87e8a22fac46e.JPG

Views looking down from the tower.  In the first picture, we were looking down on the tower the ship tour visited.

DSC04629.thumb.JPG.9624cbbbf31142594a38070f1cb4bcc2.JPG

DSC04627.thumb.JPG.04c6614eeeba6576fd6d4a433a7dd931.JPG

DSC04632.thumb.JPG.36ea14085a49ecb57546d259fc8b1259.JPG

Back across the river, we headed to the metro to go the the Citizen Services office of the US Consulate to drop off our mail in ballots.  The metro.

DSC04656.thumb.JPG.e52a973059a0159340d34afee4b3ec56.JPG

Ten stops later, we found our selves in an area that was for the locals, and we did not see any non Chinese.  This is the Shanghai Library.

DSC04659.thumb.JPG.dae9db0c7f473579b0b86d8eb283abfa.JPG

The street we walked to the Consulate.  It turns out, the Citizen Services section was in an office tower in a mall that was two stops in the opposite direction from where we boarded the metro but we didn't know that then.  Taxis would not stop for two Americans, but we found a nice gentleman who got a taxi for us, and gave the driver the address written in Chinese that we were given at the Consulate.  The gentleman insisted on riding with us, and it was a wild ride.  The driver took shortcuts down alleys, and we both were thinking that we were being Shanghaied in Shanghai.  We did reach our destination, and the nice gentleman would not let us pay for the ride.  He continued his journey in the taxi.  We've found many times in our travels that the people are nice and helpful even if the governments aren't.  Anyway, after being put through the x-ray machine, our ballots were dropped in the box for mail to go to Washington, DC in the Consular pouch that night.  While we went out of our way, I'm now glad we did.  We saw a part of Shanghai that few tourists see, and we made a friend.

DSC04661.thumb.JPG.4005ae0dede43cacb8f031e13c844fc4.JPG

After we left the mall, which was very nice and much like the malls in the us, we walked to the metro station I'd spotted from the taxi.  Two stops later, we were back where our journey began.  On the walk back to the riverfront, we walked along a street with several stores that had different food vendors.  We tried on dish from a vendor, but I think it was at a different booth.

DSC04672.thumb.JPG.e02f501998c7a5cd1df73730bae9127d.JPG

We walked along the riverfront and watched the light show on the buildings across the river until it was time to catch the last shuttle back to the ship.  I wish the shuttle was a little later since the show was really just getting going.

DSC04705.thumb.JPG.d23d2bbb76cdb1431df1cc669d22745a.JPG

Lenda

DSC04590.JPG

IMG_1384.JPG

Lovely photos Lenda.

Graham.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just a quick check-in. I have to go back and read from Monday. 

BFF and I did a quick trip to Michigan. He set up a lovely birthday dinner at a nice restaurant. Unfortunately I’ve been battling stomach issues which I think are related to medication. There we were at the restaurant and I had stomach discomfort and nausea. I asked for ginger ale and the waiter suggested adding bitters. That helped but I took my dinner back to the hotel. I felt bad for BFF. 

Now I’m sitting at the car dealer service department. I need new tires, a timing belt, etc. Big $$$.

I hope all are doing well!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you Graham.  I appreciate my friends taking that photo and sending it to us.

Happy engagement anniversary today to you and Pauline!  I know our anniversary of our engagement was on Jan. 10, 1968, 8 months before our wedding.  Unfortunately my DM passed away on that same date in 2012.  That's all I can think about on that date now. 😢

Thanks for your comments Terry.  I hope everyone there is feeling tip top now, and Tana starting to have more of an appetite.  Take care!!

Thank you so much Lenda.  I'm praying all will go well at the birth, and my goddaughter niece will finally be a grandma! 

I can't imagine how awful a wildfire in my area would be.  I hope you're right about that fire being extinguished by a surprise snow.  Enjoy your cruise!

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser thanks for posting some photos of Shanghai.  I'm very glad the air quality has improved over the years.  

Thank you Sandi.

I'm so sorry to hear your mam passed on the same date you got engaged 44 years later.

Pauline and I met on November 2nd 1974.

My mam died November 2nd 2011.

Paulines mam's funeral was November 2nd 2018.😥

Ruth passed October 18th but November 2nd was the earliest date for church and crematorium.

Graham.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

BFF and I did a quick trip to Michigan. He set up a lovely birthday dinner at a nice restaurant. Unfortunately I’ve been battling stomach issues which I think are related to medication. There we were at the restaurant and I had stomach discomfort and nausea. I asked for ginger ale and the waiter suggested adding bitters. That helped but I took my dinner back to the hotel. I felt bad for BFF. 

Now I’m sitting at the car dealer service department. I need new tires, a timing belt, etc. Big $$$.

I'm so sorry to hear you had an upset stomach on your birthday Vanessa and now you have a big car repair bill.

Graham 

• Like 7

Good afternoon from Quebec City!!  Craig ended up going on the walking tour alone. It was just too steep and uneven for me. After my recent outbreak of psoriatic arthritis it’s been difficult to do things like that. I haven’t seen his pictures yet but will post a few later. I am also disappointed about Gaspe being canceled and I wonder if it is because of the hurricane or tender issues. On the other hand, I’m happy for another sea day!  Rich, I hope the laptop has been fixed!  

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Is anyone else having a problem with how CC sends you notifications?  I've always had mine marked "no emails" but "yes notifications" when I'm on CC.  Suddenly yesterday I started getting lots of emails (every time someone posted on one of my roll calls, or quoted me anywhere).  I looked and sure enough my check mark by "no emails" had disappeared.  Changed it, it still shows it's gone, but now I'm getting emails again!  I'm on here much more than on my email so it really is unnecessary. 😉  Has anyone else noticed this?

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Sandi.

I'm so sorry to hear your mam passed on the same date you got engaged 44 years later.

Ruth passed October 18th but November 2nd was the earliest date for church and crematorium.

Graham.

Pauline and I met on November 2nd 1978.

We were married August 22nd 1981.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 8

It is interesting how many times I notice that Sara and I were on the same cruise as some of the Dailyites.  @StLouisCruisers mentioned visiting Shanghai on the Diamond Princess in 2010.  We were on her repositioning at that time but boarded in Beijing.  In 2018 we boarded the Coral Princess at Los Angeles and disembarked at the same place 60 days later, so we visited Shanghai with the @Quartzsite Cruiserthen.  This was the cruise that we stopped in Korea and toured the DMZ with Eddie Murphy who was the Executive Officer of the USS Pueblo when it was captured by North Korea and his first time back since the event.

Ray

• Like 17

4 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

We board the Koningsdam Saturday. Maybe when we return on the 24th the fire will be smothered in a surprise snow.

Have fun planning & prepping.  Hope you have a great cruise and I pray that when you return snow has truly smothered the fire 🙏🏻 

2 hours ago, marshhawk said:

My day is not going that great , I flossed a crown right off.  Caught it before it went down the sink, called the dentist, he can see me regarding the crown on 11/21.  I said, well i have an appointment for next week, cant we just switch which tooth?  The receptionist said she would warn him, come on guys...its mildly painful...

And in regards to my earlier weather update, this was just posted for our area-

Special Weather Statement issued October 06 at 11:23AM EDT by NWS Atlanta

...HIGH FIRE DANGER CONDITIONS THIS AFTERNOON INTO THE EVENING FOR PARTS OF NORTH AND WEST AND CENTRAL GEORGIA DUE TO LOW RELATIVE HUMIDITIES...

Relative Humidities of 25 percent or less can be expected for 4 or more hours this afternoon into the evening. Winds will be from the W/NW at 5 to 10 mph.

With dry fuels, high fire danger conditions can be expected.

Please refer to your local burn permitting authorities whether you may burn outdoors. If you do burn outside, use extreme caution.

Oh dear on your crown and your high fire danger 😞 

I hope your dentist can accommodate you much needed crown and prayers tha the fire danger dissipates quickly 🙏🏻 stay safe.

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Ugh!  I feel your pain.  That is serious $$$.  So sorry.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

I am at my wit’s end here in Barbados.

It has rained all day and the forecast calls for rain everyday for the rest of our vacation.

This is a real bummer.  

We have internet and then we don’t.  I am in the middle of something and all of a sudden—poof! It disappears and i am told I am my Ipad is not connected to the internet.  i have had better service on Oceania, and that is not saying much!

The rain is getting to both of us.  This is not the vacation or anniversary we were hoping for.  Guess I have to buy some lemons and make lemonade.

DH said to me that he is sorry we did this and didn’t go on a cruise instead.  

Too late.  Here we are.  

I cancelled the future massage appointments that I booked.  I was in a lot of pain last night and it kept me awake.  I guess I don’t need anyone messing with the bruises right now.  Will wait for another time.

@grapau27Graham Happy Birthday and anniversary of your engagement.  Good way not to forget significant dates.

Today is the one year anniversary of DH’s brother’s passing.  A sad day for us as he was so special to us.  We will remember him in prayer in a special way.

i hope all is well with everyone and you are all staying out of harms way.

Take care and God Bless,

Terri

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

I'm back from my afternoon hair appointment.  I prefer mornings but she had to reschedule me due to her son's new school scheduling fall break next week, unbeknownst to her.

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Vanessa, I hope you can figure out what's causing your stomach upset.  And whoa!  Timing belt and tires at the same time.  That's a real bummer!  Hope tomorrow is a better day.🤞

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Sandi.

Graham.

I realized I gave the wrong date for our engagement.  It was in 1969 not 1968.  And we did marry in September 1969 so 8 months later as I said.

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Is anyone else having a problem with how CC sends you notifications?  I've always had mine marked "no emails" but "yes notifications" when I'm on CC.  Suddenly yesterday I started getting lots of emails (every time someone posted on one of my roll calls, or quoted me anywhere).  I looked and sure enough my check mark by "no emails" had disappeared.  Changed it, it still shows it's gone, but now I'm getting emails again!  I'm on here much more than on my email so it really is unnecessary. 😉  Has anyone else noticed this?

I started getting emails yesterday too, and that had stopped a long time ago.  I'll probably go back and check what I have selected and change that.  

2 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

It is interesting how many times I notice that Sara and I were on the same cruise as some of the Dailyites.  @StLouisCruisers mentioned visiting Shanghai on the Diamond Princess in 2010.  We were on her repositioning at that time but boarded in Beijing.  In 2018 we boarded the Coral Princess at Los Angeles and disembarked at the same place 60 days later, so we visited Shanghai with the @Quartzsite Cruiserthen.  This was the cruise that we stopped in Korea and toured the DMZ with Eddie Murphy who was the Executive Officer of the USS Pueblo when it was captured by North Korea and his first time back since the event.

Ray

Interesting how we were cruising together on the same cruise.  I'm sure I've probably been on cruises with quite a few of you.  I know Lenda and I were on the same Ruby Princess South America cruise in 2015.  Good times!

11 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

I am at my wit’s end here in Barbados.

It has rained all day and the forecast calls for rain everyday for the rest of our vacation.

This is a real bummer.  

We have internet and then we don’t.  I am in the middle of something and all of a sudden—poof! It disappears and i am told I am my Ipad is not connected to the internet.  i have had better service on Oceania, and that is not saying much!

The rain is getting to both of us.  This is not the vacation or anniversary we were hoping for.  Guess I have to buy some lemons and make lemonade.

DH said to me that he is sorry we did this and didn’t go on a cruise instead.  

Too late.  Here we are.  

I cancelled the future massage appointments that I booked.  I was in a lot of pain last night and it kept me awake.  I guess I don’t need anyone messing with the bruises right now.  Will wait for another time.

@grapau27Graham Happy Birthday and anniversary of your engagement.  Good way not to forget significant dates.

Today is the one year anniversary of DH’s brother’s passing.  A sad day for us as he was so special to us.  We will remember him in prayer in a special way.

i hope all is well with everyone and you are all staying out of harms way.

Take care and God Bless,

Terri

Terri, I'm so sorry about all the rain!  I hope the forecast just sounds worse than it will really be and you get some sunshine once in a while.  I hope the muscle pain eases up too so you can get some sleep tonight.  Take care!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I've been to Shanghai 3 times.  In 2001 I was on a Yangtze Cruise that ended in Shangai and I have some photos from the cruise but no decent ones of Shanghai.  The second was a 2004 trans-Pacific cruise on the Crystal Harmony but I have no photos at all of that cruise.  A highlight of that visit was a ride on the Maglev train to the airport.  The final one was on the Amsterdam October 28-29 (extended to 10/30) of 2017.  We docked pretty much on the Bund in the center of town, right behind the Volendam.

sisters.jpg

The first day I had booked a long tour by train to an outlying area called Westlake.  A primary point of interest was a statue of a large laughing Buddha.

laughing.jpg

That tour turned out to be extremely long, returning about 9:30PM, making dinner just a bag of chips and ice cream from the lido when it opened for midnight snack.

The next day was easier as I did not have a tour.  I took the subway across to Pudong and then once again rode the Maglev train.  The top speed I saw was 184 MPH:

maglev.jpg

That evening I watched the nights from Pudong, across the river  I was not supposed to have seen them since we were due to leave at 6PM:

nightlights.jpg

Our final day in Shanghai was effectively a sea day.  Both we and the Volendam (which was supposed to have left the 28th) were still in port on Monday, the 30th.  We had administratively left China when we were scheduled to leave so we were unable to leave the ship and there were only a few customs people at the gangway.  Reasons for our departure varied from one excuse to another but we were finally allowed to leave at 10:30 Monday.

A bit of a postscript.   The following July I sailed the Volendam and ran into Captain Chris Turner and asked if he had been on that cruise.  His response was please don't ask; I am trying to forget that experience.  It was even more problematic for me as our next port was Hong Kong where I was due to disembark and fly that day to Rome to pick up MS Prinsendam for a transatlantic for a cruise leaving the next day.  Fortunately, Captain Eversen put the pedal to the metal and we were almost on time in Hong Kong.

Roy

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Yom Kippur was good, although sometimes I think that the best thing about Yom Kippur is that eventually it ends. The Junior Cat, however, was disappointed because there were no kippers.

In addition to my scheduled part in the afternoon service, I was voluntold to be gabbai -- sort of stage manager and prompter for the Torah reading -- in the morning service when the member assigned to it couldn't arrive in time. There was a kerfuffle when the Torah reader stopped reading a section before its proper end and the people called  up to say the blessing after the reading said it before I could intervene. (The way this can happen is that the reading is divided into six parts if YK is on a weekday, but seven parts if it's on the Sabbath, so the break points are different.) I had the reader resume with the rest of the fifth section and continue through the sixth, which was OK with the rabbi.

For rabbis and cantors, today is generally though of as Yom Kaput, because most are too wiped out to do anything. I was not so kaput, but I was back at the synagogue at 8:00 a.m. to help build the sukkah, and after that I was fairly kaput.

2108998806_frivolousadvice.thumb.jpg.8dbed8aed09078129f39cad62b44a43c.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I'm back from my afternoon hair appointment.  I prefer mornings but she had to reschedule me due to her son's new school scheduling fall break next week, unbeknownst to her.

Vanessa, I hope you can figure out what's causing your stomach upset.  And whoa!  Timing belt and tires at the same time.  That's a real bummer!  Hope tomorrow is a better day.🤞

I realized I gave the wrong date for our engagement.  It was in 1969 not 1968.  And we did marry in September 1969 so 8 months later as I said.

I started getting emails yesterday too, and that had stopped a long time ago.  I'll probably go back and check what I have selected and change that.  

Interesting how we were cruising together on the same cruise.  I'm sure I've probably been on cruises with quite a few of you.  I know Lenda and I were on the same Ruby Princess South America cruise in 2015.  Good times!

Terri, I'm so sorry about all the rain!  I hope the forecast just sounds worse than it will really be and you get some sunshine once in a while.  I hope the muscle pain eases up too so you can get some sleep tonight.  Take care!

Pauline was 16 when we met on November 2nd 1978.

I said 1974 when posting in a hurry but was to late to edit.

Graham.

• Like 5