Least liked menu items in MDR?

Tonsoffun44

My least favorite might be someone else's favorite.  Many of us have allergies and/or religious restrictions.  As long as the menu has enough variety, there is no reason at all to dwell on this subject.  Don't go there!

• Like 4

I haven't had good luck with fried fish in the MDR. On the other hand, my hubby has had good luck with it when I didn't order it. I'll never order a duck entree on a Princess ship again. Mostly, I've gotten way (way!) overcooked duck with soggy skin. Once, I got bloody raw duck, also with soggy skin. It's a shame, since I dearly love duck.

I have had decent prime rib on embarkation night.

The only thing that I just did NOT like was, I think, one of the Curtis Stone dishes.  

And, I don't think that it was a one-off.  Hated the taste/seasoning.  Everything about it.

It just was not good.  Never been inclined to try SHARE.

I have also noted that the person at the head of the kitchen/dining makes a big difference.

A few years ago, on Regal, everything was just bad.  Over cooked, WAY over salted, just to the point of barely being edible.

Last cruise on Regal was much much better.

Years ago on Coral, had an amazing experience in the MDR. (before the last big changes/cutbacks a few years ago).  But, the Buffett was not good.  And I think it was the same person, with some German heritage, who was in charge of both bad food quality experiences.  

1 hour ago, Roatanfans said:

On Princess I have learned to avoid the terrine as a rule.  Also, sadly have never had good lamb on board (everything I've tried its been tough) but hope springs eternal

I agree with you on leg of lamb. The lamb chops in the Crown Grill are spectacular, and we had some as the extra in Club Class that were slightly different but just as good. I ordered them in a fit of optimism and was glad that I did.

4 hours ago, Roatanfans said:

Also, sadly have never had good lamb on board (everything I've tried its been tough) but hope springs eternal

Have you tried lamb in the Crown Grill?  I've had some great lamb chops there pre-covid (haven't been to the CG post covid).

7 hours ago, sonomaphil said:

Sesame Chicken Bites appetizer.  If you like breaded kids frozen chicken nuggets with no sesame flavor at all this is the appetizer for you. 

Ours were nothing like what you described. They were tasty, but somehow different than I remembered them from prior cruises. Also..they were not breaded. 

14 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I love prime rib. Tried it on cruises several times and it was never good. I order something else when it's on the menu.

I agree - it is horrible. Though I still sometimes order in hope they change it but they don't.

• Like 1

Thanksgiving dinner. 

The chefs are from other countries and have no idea what American food is supposed to taste like.

Turkey was a salt lick, who salts turkey? Everything else was cooked to mush... and salty.

We walked out and had a hamburger on deck. Happy Thanksgiving!

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, Coral said:

I agree - it is horrible. Though I still sometimes order in hope they change it but they don't.

First evening, prime rib is frequently on the MDR menu. I warned the family last cruise, that it's safer to go to the buffet on the first night for two reasons: 1. chaotic in MDR as passengers don't know where they are going and  new crew are still in the learning mode - anticipate long wait time. 2. the prime rib is tasteless or simply very "beefy" in taste and texture, not at all tender, more fat than meat. 

Sure enough, they all ordered the prime rib,  more toward medium well. It took over an hour to arrive - and I think it was still alive - very red raw meat look. Nobody could cut the meat - too tough. Wait staff was way too busy, we sat and sat, finally left and headed to the buffet.  

Overall, food is good, not great - DH calls it banquet food, not Ponant quality.  I find that too much salt is used in all of the dishes and I still have to watch the coffee [syrup]. 

Darcy

WatchHill,  am I among the few who have had a halfway decent Prime Rib on embarkation night???    And, I am a bit of a wanna-be foodie, so I am not one who would say this just because it comes billed as Prime Rib.

I am not sure if mentioning that other cruise line is a fair comparison.

Traveling Sisters,  What you said sounds like what I have described (quoted below) from the one in charge of Food and Dining on those two occasions.

Really bad.

I hope this person is no longer with Princess.

There is usually information about all of these people who are in charge on the sailing.  I am thinking the odds of others having the German heritage are very very slim.  So, that could be telling.

"I have also noted that the person at the head of the kitchen/dining makes a big difference.

A few years ago, on Regal, everything was just bad.  Over cooked, WAY over salted, just to the point of barely being edible.

Years ago on Coral, had an amazing experience in the MDR. (before the last big changes/cutbacks a few years ago).  But, the Buffett was not good.  And I think it was the same person, with some German heritage, who was in charge of both bad food quality experiences."

Edited by Wishing on a star

8 minutes ago, abqmommyof4 said:

Have not had  a problem with  prime rib

I come from a beef state and we have amazing beef here. I think Princess orders "select quality beef" on the ship and the taste reflects that. Someone once mentioned that they "steam it" which may explain the oddness of the beef texture/flavor.

I like beef so frequently gravitate towards beef on the menu but easily am disappointed with this dish.

Edited by Coral

1 minute ago, WatchHill said:

First evening, prime rib is frequently on the MDR menu. I warned the family last cruise, that it's safer to go to the buffet on the first night for two reasons: 1. chaotic in MDR as passengers don't know where they are going and  new crew are still in the learning mode - anticipate long wait time. 2. the prime rib is tasteless or simply very "beefy" in taste and texture, not at all tender, more fat than meat. 

Sure enough, they all ordered the prime rib,  more toward medium well. It took over an hour to arrive - and I think it was still alive - very red raw meat look. Nobody could cut the meat - too tough. Wait staff was way too busy, we sat and sat, finally left and headed to the buffet.  

Overall, food is good, not great - DH calls it banquet food, not Ponant quality.  I find that too much salt is used in all of the dishes and I still have to watch the coffee [syrup]. 

Darcy

Prime Rib is my favourite food, so I have high standards.  Unfortunately, I have been disappointed at least 50% of the times I’ve ordered it. I had stopped ordering it, but then saw that it looked good, so I ordered it , and it was good. On my most recent cruise, I specifically asked the waiter if it was good on that particular night, and she assured me it was.  It was not.  It was tough and gristly. It reminded me of the time we accidentally bought AA Prime Rib. It looked ok, but you could hardly cut it.  Never again will I order it.

• Like 1