The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday October 16th, 2022

richwmn

29 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@grapau27  You two are not large people, where does that pizza go?  When DH and I order pizza, it's at the Greek restaurant, and it's a 6 inch pizza, and we are full.  Well we do order our own pizza, but wow!

The pizza's are Romana pizza's which are very thin based pizza's.

They are very tasty and we were hungry.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Good morning and thanks all!  Prayers for all concerns large and small!  
@ger_77 yikes, hope they straighten around your flights, there have been so many cancellations but I’m sure they’ll find you something good!  
@kazu yikes on computer issues! 
@marshhawk on the seniors and drugs!  great minds, lol!   You have picked a good area for Rome,  we like the Centro storico too.  
I think the key to pizza is how thin the crust is.  

Perhaps Sabine has gone shore side,  best wishes to such a nice lady. 
we are continuing to enjoy a long warm fall, days 20 plus Celsius

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all.  CC hates me today, made me log in and then wouldn't accept my password and kept locking me out for 15 minutes at a time.  Eventually I had to set a new password.  I could read this forum, but couldn't post or see my roll calls.  Now I'm back.  But I'll have to see what has happened with my smaller devices!

We use the dictionary and thesaurus all the time, as we do cryptic crosswords, and learn a lot of new words doing them.  Have you ever noticed that when you learn a new word you keep seeing it or hearing it?  I guess that's  "global consciousness".  Today we are going to the church barbecue and I am taking cole slaw as they said they were short on salads.  What do you want to bet all the salads are cole slaw - more global consciousness!

We have been to Christchurch, but not on a cruise, so don't know the port.  We were there before the terrible earthquake, and we went to a little museum in the main square and saw kiwi birds.  I have to wonder if they survived the earthquake, as most of the square was destroyed.

IMGP0979.thumb.JPG.0bc28fdcf641acb22909a852aaa60df1.JPG

IMGP0982.thumb.JPG.4a8711ce58c690ca99d106eb9f410f10.JPG

IMGP0980.thumb.JPG.7874b8a6e83986852576289a494676e8.JPG

Some of the countryside near Christchurch.

P1000357.thumb.JPG.f4dee13df82ad852d7790cc351f0db05.JPG

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Pauline enjoyed hers too.

IMG_20221016_154337.jpg

41 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@grapau27  You two are not large people, where does that pizza go?  When DH and I order pizza, it's at the Greek restaurant, and it's a 6 inch pizza, and we are full.  Well we do order our own pizza, but wow!

Annie, I think Graham and Pauline have amazing metabolisms.  They burn calories faster than you and I.🍕   Good for you two.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Thanks - I was using amazon.ca - and I have returned two that were supposed to fit.   My laptop is a Pavilion so I’m not sure if it is the same as a Sleekbook - will read and pay the exchange rate if this works.

Thank you so very much - that is so kind of you to go looking. So much caring and kindness on this board. Tina, you and Rich reached out to me on his cruise to me.    I try to find something to be grateful for every day (actually 3 things) - when your down, it’s good to remember the good things in life - and this daily thread and all of you are one thing I am forever grateful for.

Thank you 🙂 

• Like 23

10 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks - I was using amazon.ca - and I have returned two that were supposed to fit.   My laptop is a Pavilion so I’m not sure if it is the same as a Sleekbook - will read and pay the exchange rate if this works.

Thank you so very much - that is so kind of you to go looking. So much caring and kindness on this board. Tina, you and Rich reached out to me on his cruise to me.    I try to find something to be grateful for every day (actually 3 things) - when your down, it’s good to remember the good things in life - and this daily thread and all of you are one thing I am forever grateful for.

Thank you 🙂 

Also, have you tried the HP web site?  I usually buy extra/new chargers from the manufacturer.  https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/dlp/hp-pavilion-laptop-charger

Edited by 12cruise2
  • Like 8

Like, I assume, many here It would never occur to me to mix grapes with flank steak.  Thanks to the diligent work of  @0106 multiple recipes have been forwarded to Mrs. XBGuy.  I made a run to Trader Joe's, yesterday, and, coincidentally, I did grab a small flank steak (which, lately, has been my favorite cut of beef).  However, I did not grab either table grapes or blue cheese 🙁 Next time.

Many years ago (heck, decades ago) Mrs. XBGuy found a recipe called "Vineyard Chicken."  Conceptually, it is very similar to the first of the recipes that @0106 presented, replacing the flank steak with chicken breasts--we've done it both with boneless/skinless and bone-in and I can't imagine why it couldn't be done with thighs.  A white wine reduction sauce is made and a cup of halved table grapes is added to the sauce at the end.

Here is the really cool part.  Regular Daily readers know that I am a wine geek.  Many may also know that I do not endorse many of what I refer to as "wine mythologies."  Specifically in this case, I do not obsess over wine/food pairings.  More often than not I will drink a red wine with fish.  Mrs. XBGuy is happy to drink Chardonnay with anything.  More than once I have advised people to drink the wine you like to drink with the food you like to eat.

I am now going to talk out of the other side of my mouth.

Vineyard Chicken is an absolutely amazing match with Riesling.  However, not a dry Riesling.  It has to be one with a touch of sweetness.  A German Spatlese or. even, an Auslese would be excellent.

To me, the Flank Steak with Grapes would be great with a robust Zinfandel.  Mrs. XBGuy would order up a Chardonnay.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Cat Day

The dog thinks to himself: "These beings feed me, pet me, love me, they must be gods." 

The cat thinks to herself: "These beings feed me, pet me, love me, I must be God!"

Having had both and some at the same time - that is so true 😂 

29 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

Also, have you tried the HP web site?  I usually buy extra/new chargers from the manufacturer.  https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/dlp/hp-pavilion-laptop-charger

Yea - they want me to buy a new laptop.

No worries.  Problem solved I think.  Our dear kind, Rich @richwmn has several at home he’s sure.  He’s shipping one to me and I will buy him some OBC.

He is so kind ♥️ 

• Like 24

Good afternoon everyone.  Thanks Rich and all who contribute. Since I went to the Art walk and a ghost hunt and a farmer's market and a birthday party, there is no way I can get out of today being clean the house day. Prayers for all. 

• Like 17

Good afternoon everyone. I almost forgot to check in again today. I wasn’t able to fall asleep last night till 2 am this morning. It’s getting to be a later and later bedtime.

My tech was here the other night to fix my iPad. It’s been freezing on me with FaceTime as I’m doing telemedicine appointments and it’s so frustrating.

He updated the program and I found 72 YouTube videos on there. What? No idea how that happened. I used to go to the photo board on CC when I had a tech issue but forgot. 
I have a CC friend who is a minister and has been one for many years. He recently came out as gay and married his significant other. Someone in the church complained to the Bishop and now he was put on leave. Have no idea what is going to happen but he has received a lot of support from his parishioners who love him.

Stay safe,

Carol

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

I have a CC friend who is a minister and has been one for many years. He recently came out as gay and married his significant other. Someone in the church complained to the Bishop and now he was put on leave. Have no idea what is going to happen but he has received a lot of support from his parishioners who love him.

Stay safe,

Carol

I know well of whom you speak, Carol and also posted my outrage.  

He is so patient and understanding - I wish I had his tolerance for the discrimination.

It’s so unfair and he is such a kind, gentle soul.  I hope it is resolved quickly for him - he doesn’t deserve this at all. 😢  

• Like 16

My friend and co-worker died last night around 10:00 p.m. She was about a year younger than I am, and the diagnosis was made only two weeks ago.

The Junior Cat is not sure whether she qualifies as a Global Cat, as she is from Massachusetts. She is still annoyed by not receiving any kippers on Yom Kippur.

I was at the synagogue early this morning to receive donations for our rummage sale next month, because the volunteers who decreed that donations would start this morning seemed to have no intention of actually being there to let donors into the building. In fact, about seven were there by the time I had to leave to teach a class on I Kings. But I still don't know whether they'll be there on the remaining Sundays, and starting next week I teach at 9:30 a.m.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 11

28 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

My friend and co-worker died last night around 10:00 p.m. She was about a year younger than I am, and the diagnosis was made only two weeks ago.

The Junior Cat is not sure whether she qualifies as a Global Cat, as she is from Massachusetts. She is still annoyed by not receiving any kippers on Yom Kippur.

I was at the synagogue early this morning to receive donations for our rummage sale next month, because the volunteers who decreed that donations would start this morning seemed to have no intention of actually being there to let donors into the building. In fact, about seven were there by the time I had to leave to teach a class on I Kings. But I still don't know whether they'll be there on the remaining Sundays, and starting next week I teach at 9:30 a.m.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

Condolences to all her family.

Graham 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Having had both and some at the same time - that is so true 😂 

Yea - they want me to buy a new laptop.

No worries.  Problem solved I think.  Our dear kind, Rich @richwmn has several at home he’s sure.  He’s shipping one to me and I will buy him some OBC.

He is so kind ♥️ 

It warms my heart to hear stories of people here helping others.  That is so nice of you Rich @richwmn!! 

1 hour ago, lindaler said:

Good afternoon everyone.  Thanks Rich and all who contribute. Since I went to the Art walk and a ghost hunt and a farmer's market and a birthday party, there is no way I can get out of today being clean the house day. Prayers for all. 

And Linda, I enjoy hearing you talk about all the interactions you have with your family members now that you live in Mobile.  You must be so happy there.  That was a very good decision you made to relocate.  I know it couldn't have been easy to uproot like you did but it seems to be working out well for you.

41 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

My condolences to you and Fran's family and friends on the loss of her.  It's never easy, whether it happens suddenly or otherwise.  Prayers for you all.🙏   Also, I hope some people at the synagogue come to the realization that they need to get busy and help out at the rummage sale.  You have enough on your hands.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

@JazzyV I am the queen of leg cramps.  Usually about 2:30 am, and 4:15 am and 6:22 am,  and if I was diligent I would do the following things.  Drink more water, wear socks to bed, and use Theraworks.

I have 3 bottles of it, all on empty. And being me, I remember in the middle of the night but never when I am at the store.  I wander the halls at night...and find that my cats sleep in weird places.

OK, I worked in the yard, not for long because the outside world is full of spiders!,  I raked up one bag of pine, dead holly leaves, and weird dead growth.  Then I picked up all the plastic pots that I had left in the yard, back in May of 2020 when I fell and broke my elbow.  Alas, at that point I lost my urge to garden.  I know it will come back, its just hasn't yet.  

@ger_77I would like the recipe for the lemon garlic spaghetti with sausage.  That sounds so yummy.  I love lemon anything.  No scurvy for me.

• Like 17

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

I am so very sorry to hear this.  How sad 😢 

My deepest condolences to her family and you. May she rest in peace.

She definitely qualifies 🙂 

• Like 11

@kochleffel I'm very sorry to read about your friend Fran.  To find out only two weeks before, that you are that ill, is pretty incredible.  This happened to my friend's husband.  They were on the way back from a family reunion, and he asked her to drop him off a the hospital, that he didn't feel quite right.  She left him off, unpacked, took their kids back to their houses, got home and had a call from the hospital.  He died of cancer the next day.  Life is strange.  From what you said though, she had thought it all out.  My condolences to you as her friend, and her family. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I’m guessing you left fairly recently if you miss Wegmans.  I remember visiting a Wegmans in Upstate New York several years ago (it  didn’t exist when I lived there) and ours here probably opened in about the last 5 years.

Roy

I will test Wegmans today as it is where my niece picked up my Sister's birthday cake. And as a note to all I HATE.... absolutely HATE the Denver airport.

Susan

• Like 13

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I know well of whom you speak, Carol and also posted my outrage.  

He is so patient and understanding - I wish I had his tolerance for the discrimination.

It’s so unfair and he is such a kind, gentle soul.  I hope it is resolved quickly for him - he doesn’t deserve this at all. 😢  

There is so much hatred and mistrust in the world. You are right Jacqui, he doesn’t deserve this at all.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. My daughter in law died onlym2 weeks after her cancer diagnosis.It’s a lot to take in so fast.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Ugh. Not a fun night. I couldn't fall asleep and felt my heart rate was fast. It was 72, but I'm usually in the 50's in bed. Around 2:30 am I then got bad thigh cramps, in both legs! I got out of bed and hobbled around to try to get relief. I had done a good bit of yard work, so maybe that contributed. I have some tonic water, but it was downstairs and I didn't want to go down the step

A couple of thoughts here.  I was told in cardiac rehab that if one is dehydrated the blood pressure will generally drop while the heart rate increases.  I also know from experience that I do get cramps at night and they do seem to be dehydration related as they stop quickly when get a cup of water just out of the bathroom tap.  I don't know if you checked your blood pressure last night, but the combination of fast heart and cramps after strenuous work does seem to be reasonably related to dehydration.,

@kochleffel so sorry to hear about Fran.

@mamaofami that is so sad about the minister.  I will take a guess since @kazu knows who he is that he also serves as a HAL chaplain.  I echo the sentiment that a favorable resolution for him is just but have a sad feeling that it is unlikely.  What injustice we do in the name of religion.

@grapau27 I usually don't get to Father David's sermons until late in the day.  It's clear that both he and my pastor follow the same lectionary and it's usually interesting to get two takes on the same reading.  My pastor is currently on sabbatical and it doesn't always happen with the guest preachers.  Today, however our guest did and the variation was interesting, with our preacher focusing on the power of storytelling.  Two different but very valid views.

Roy

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2