The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday October 24th, 2022

richwmn

2 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Roy, thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, and thank you Dixie. And thank you all for being here!

Hello from the Tyrrhenian Sea, about 2/3rds of the way to Syracusa, Sicily. Leaving Genoa Saturday the ship played Andrea Bocelli's "Time to Say Goodbye." Such a romantic way to start the cruise. Sue and I are really enjoying ourselves with the crew providing all the luxuries of YC on the Splendida. We have finally figured out the route from our cabin on 15 Forward to our dining room on 15 Aft. It is a much larger ship than we are used to! The Oosterdam though will feel like a familiar cuddly blanket come November 5! Tomorrow we have an 8-hour excursion which leaves at 7:30 so setting the alarm. It seems that we may be the only Americans onboard with mostly French and Italian passengers. The crew enjoys having us as we seem to be a novelty to them.

Lenda, thinking of you and Steve.

- Jack

1022221754.thumb.jpg.98255aa68f6eef5cc9b60b5144f6953f.jpg

1022221748e.thumb.jpg.d2b1f8568d16cc3c5ec9eb87bc7635db.jpg

1023221311_Burst01.thumb.jpg.ba43e271ebd66a74412425a5bd0f0b74.jpg

1024221605a_HDR.thumb.jpg.617a7a39e0edfd97f15f8f4fcb332667.jpg

Nice photos Jack.

I hope you are having an amazing cruise.

Graham.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sailingdutchy said:
Good morning all ,

Another nice day on the Daily with another nice port from Rich ! 

Today it is Darwin where we landed with the Volendam on November 30th , 2015 on a 31 day cruise from Sydney on the Great Barrier Reef Cruise to be followed by a Far East Explorer

One of my favourite small ships the Volendam 

344001438_DSCN62262.thumb.JPG.ea0a2dc6335592d4845f20e143aa7aea.JPG

After we arrived in Darwin we walked with our friends to the Crocosaurus Cove in town where we watched some shows with the saltwater crocodiles and saw in the museum many other creatures from this area .

Different to see a Christmas tree for us Canadians in 92 degrees heat 

DSCN5568.thumb.jpg.ee212701e504db7ead3032d1b9e6214a.jpg

1998972857_DSCN55732.thumb.jpg.66d98658489f4ca1117178f0b4af1f70.jpg

DSCN5575.thumb.jpg.739f8a28f594133799fbcbb270331f03.jpg

IMG_1745.thumb.jpg.2c9ca2733155655cc56accdd5971381c.jpg

IMG_1748.thumb.jpg.9f749d788306a076a91ef82d8b282c2a.jpg

DSCN5603.thumb.jpg.6ea164858e7ac9c4f68142f62ed0417c.jpg

After a drink to cool us off we hopped onto the HOHO to go to the amazing  Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Australian Territory where we spend a few hours to see all the indigenous art in this beautiful building .

DSCN5627.thumb.jpg.a2a0ece2933ee6a7994e3067fe6de647.jpg

IMG_1761.jpg.173af0e8a1d09dcdb64ce65036dc8c95.jpg

IMG_1766.thumb.jpg.6d8b4b73f1da76c6d452826529e18f73.jpg

IMG_1763.thumb.jpg.cc74b92893b43e3679999ce0be2aa316.jpg

IMG_1768.thumb.jpg.06aa2c2d01ee83c2e57293182b5c75ec.jpg

IMG_1773.jpg.223414cac7e56b17cbb35c4411edc00e.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg.54cd8e02e114efe7a70a5801e9dbb930.jpg

After another drink while watching  and listening to all these gorgeous colourful birds we went back to the ship for a special dinner .

DSCN5624.thumb.JPG.66dc4e25a6c29a265a0bf26f59a88fe0.JPG

Very nice adventurous self guiding day was had by all while we learned a lot about the Northern Territories . Great day in Darwin ! 

DSCN5611.thumb.JPG.fa8177f2de78f17536a38e29ccb0546d.JPG

Also a Happy Birthday Fred @Overhead Fred best wishes from the other side of the border and many more . Hope to see you again next April ! 

Tony😄

Excellent photos Tony.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning fellow Daily-ites. 

My computer doesn't want to wake up today. I hope my post doesn't go poof.

Happy Birthday Fred!

image.png.9f9198dc19fdabe96674b8991abbc0c7.png

Today is our 31st Wedding anniversary. We are having friends over tonight for Game night, food and lot's of wine...

It was due to rain last night but forecast moved to this afternoon. It's a beautiful morning. I counted 9 cardinal's around the feeders.

Jacqui you are a "dam" good friend and neighbor. Your kindness and generosity shows through, even all your work on roll calls and Bon Voyages. You are loved and appreciated. 

Prayers for Lenda and (Steve?) today.

Prayers lifted for Mexico with hurricane Roslyn damages and loss of life. We are under storm watches here as well just posted a few minutes ago.

Wishing everyone a great week. We have Daily appointments. Dentist, check ups, eye exams..

image.png.4928f66492ba56ab3637cb31b962c79a.png

Happy 31st anniversary Joy and Allen to such a lovely couple.

Graham.

16BAE748-7629-449F-AB37-968AF0377626.gif.473208a51bb791858c0f250666388322.gif

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary to those celebrating.  Prayers and virtual hugs to those with doctor/hospital visits.

Dixie, what are your plans for Covid testing within 3 days of the Nov. 19 cruise?  I notice Walgreens, CVS, etc. are now charging very high prices for their Rapid tests for travelers.  I've never done one of the medical monitor company ones before and not sure if that would work for us.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a gloomy, wet central Texas.  This will be quick since it's getting close to time to call 911 to get the EMTs to get DH in the car.  I'll read the Daily and do a more detailed post while I'm waiting for the surgery to finish and DH to get out of recovery.

I do want to thank everyone who wished both of us well today.  It means a lot.

This is what I posted on July3, 2021 about our day in Darwin.

Darwin was a port on our 2002 Volendam Asia Pacific Explorer Cruise.  We were there on October 30, and the hot, humid season had not started then.  We did not look at the town, but as per our usual port day, we rented a car and explored the surrounding area.

Giant termite mounds were along the highway.  DH, who is 6'1" stood next to it, and it towered over his head.  

IMG_1814.thumb.JPG.fea80d72cc3af07604dfc8cd80b798a3.JPG

Our first stop was a nature/animal preserve, that could have been in one of the national parks near Darwin.  These are some of the local residents.

IMG_1817.thumb.JPG.33e6fd60ce4ba3c1fa11771b41338049.JPG

IMG_1823.thumb.JPG.bb537e9652fc159e02cd8a137cb2293c.JPG

IMG_1843.thumb.JPG.781a64fa21b4ac6183019ad416e6d8e9.JPG

On the way back to Darwin, we detoured to take a river cruise to see the jumping crocodiles.  I'll repost the picture of the croc.

IMG_1854.thumb.JPG.e0d6bb5b0ece6dd8489a6e91be87c6aa.JPG

Our final stop that day was the Mindil Beach Sunset Market.  It was the last night of the market until the next April.  There were all types of crafts, clothing, food, and even didgeridoos for sale.  As we walked around, we sampled kangaroo (which isn't bad, but does not taste like chicken) and crocodile, which tastes somewhat like alligator.  DH bought a didgeridoo, which the vendor promised he'd ship to our house in Texas, since we couldn't haul it back on the plane.  DH's comment when we left, was that we may have wasted our money.  When we walked in the house after the cruise, the didgeridoo was on the couch.  Let's just say, he can make a noise with it.

A few scenes of the sunset market.

IMG_1861.thumb.JPG.feed63f04ed378212aa3bfc028d06556.JPG

IMG_1868.thumb.JPG.455974968246e8a777c7f9fc00d52d85.JPG

IMG_1862.thumb.JPG.03d8ea646ed6f4be5e2222162023d0fb.JPG

Mindil Beach

IMG_1863.thumb.JPG.c6f313aee99379984d3b9bc4f0a49375.JPG

A local band to entertain the shoppers.

IMG_1866.thumb.JPG.a8137b21918354db85f6eeb2b9f16412.JPG

Another local group to enjoy as we reboarded the Volendam.

IMG_1869.thumb.JPG.163a93f37e5acd18e5f43addbb3cf0d4.JPG

At dinner that night, kangaroo was on the menu.  No one wanted to order it, but after we told them we'd tasted it at the market, the table decided to order one kangaroo dinner and share it between the six of us.

The cruise was during the time the LA port locked the longshoremen out, so the Volendam could not get the containers of food that were sitting on the LA dock shipped to the various ports.  The HD, F&B manager, and executive chef went shopping in most of our ports around Asia and Australia.  We had good, and interesting things show up on the menu.  We heard that our food did not go to waste, but went to the Veendam.

Upon our arrival in LA the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, the longshoremen were working, but were protesting the lockout by unloading the ship one piece of luggage at a time by hand.  We could not get off the ship until well after 1 pm., so the executive chef and the Lido cooks quickly fixed a modified lunch for everyone.  Needless to say, just about all the passengers missed their flights.  We did get out that day, as the ticket agent at LAX did not want extra passengers the next day.  Oh. the adventures of travelling are not for the faint of heart, but do make travelling interesting.

Lenda

Brilliant photos Lenda.

Sending you all of our love for a successful surgery and excellent recovery for your DH.

Graham & Pauline too xx

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Debbie, your recipes today look so good!  And so much variety involved.  Sorry about the prominent carrots in that fourth one.  LOL!  I'll have to show these to DH to see if he wants to prepare any of them.

Even though we'll miss you here on the Daily while you're busy with the closing and move, I'm excited about your move to dear old, Midland.  Good luck with the packing, the closing, the move, and all the unpacking.  Even if it's a lot of work you have a lot to look forward to in your new home with your sister.  Best of luck!❤️

Thanks, Sandi.  I have made a honey mustard salmon before and a salmon dish that calls for spinach, blistered tomatoes, and heavy cream.  Mmmmm.   The work will all be worth it when the move is completed.  I can take my time unpacking.  

2 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

Today is my birthday. I am 35 (again!)😁

We celebrated with Niall and Emilee (DS & SO) yesterday with Indian take out and a lovely chocolate cake -

1973921276_HappyBirthday3.jpg.1839784cba296ffd327bfeefcba8b7f1.jpg

2 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Thank you so much!   I just hope a cat doesn't jump out of one of these boxes. That would mean I stole it from someone!

@Seasick Sailor

3fd70c4469801cf6583758a9db429c76.jpg.68df5379dc2e1bd5f5a9f80b0c1e8f32.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Dixie, what are your plans for Covid testing within 3 days of the Nov. 19 cruise?  I notice Walgreens, CVS, etc. are now charging very high prices for their Rapid tests for travelers.  I've never done one of the medical monitor company ones before and not sure if that would work for us.

Sandi, we ordered eMed and will use the computer. Did this for our last cruise thanks to Joy. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Sandi, we ordered eMed and will use the computer. Did this for our last cruise thanks to Joy. 

You were required to order the tests from eMed, or could you use one of the home ones given to us free?  I have a stack of those in the bathroom linen closet.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
punctuation
  • Like 8

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Happy Diwali to those who celebrate. A salute to the UN. I occasionally eat ring bologna. I think the quote means a good friend will tell you the truth to your face. I'll take the meal and wine. Pass on the drink. 

I've been to Australia, but not Darwin. 

Another sunny and 70's day. Rainy and cooler later in the week. I survived yesterdays GI goings on. So I'll see if it helps my symptoms. On a happier note, the roofer came by and found that piece that blew off was a waste piece that they missed removing. Also got a call today that my re-made glasses are ready for pick up.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Praying for DH and you today. Thanks for the Darwin photos.

@kazu I'm sure your taking time to visit was appreciated by your friend.

@dfish Good luck with the packing. Thanks for the recipes, and no worries on missing a few days.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for the photos from Darwin. Awww, what a sweet photo of Ellie and her Daddy. Good luck with the crowns. 

@Cruzin Terri Safe travels to get your tests. Changes in ownership of my internet company led me to change to a GMail address to keep it unchanging.

@ottahand7 Beautiful fall colors in the photos.

@Overhead Fred HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Have a wonderful day!

@Heartgrove Thanks for the photos from your cruise. Enjoy!

@sailingdutchy Great photos.

@Seasick Sailor Happy 31st Anniversary! 🍾

@HAL4NOW Safe travels home to Skykomish. I hope you both test negative soon, and thank goodness for friends who'll shop for you.

@Norseh2o It sounds like you're having a wonderful time.

Prayers for the Care List and Woohoo to those with something to Celebrate!

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 6

9 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

You were required to order the tests from eMed, or could you use one of the home ones given to us free?  I have a stack of those in the bathroom linen closet.

Emed requires using the Binax AG test (not the Binax Now that you can buy at a pharmacy), purchased either from them or from Optum. Optum sells them in smaller quantities, but I recommend having at least one extra test in case one is defective, which happened to me in Greece this year (Emed replaced it, after I got home).  There are online services that will proctor and certify tests from kits that you already have.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Had to be ordered for a watched test. $60 for 2. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Be sure to check the expiration dates of the free ones we were given (by the U.S. government).  Ours were good for only a month after they were issued! 

Also, I just learned if you have Medicare or other health insurance, you can get 8 free at-home, self- tests A MONTH since the U.S. govt quit giving them out.  We got ours a few weeks ago at our local Walgreens by ordering online at the Walgreens web site and they are good for a YEAR.  It was so easy.  We have Medicare.  Here is the info.  When you check in with the Walgreen's store, they are through the pharmacy; speak with a pharmacy tech as the first pharmacy person I spoke with after ordering them was clueless.  Maybe you could use one of the monitoring services that have popped up.

https://www.cms.gov/how-to-get-your-at-home-OTC-COVID-19-test-for-free

These would be good to take on the cruise with you; that's what we're doing in a couple of weeks, to have to self-test, in case, as we'll be on the NA for four weeks--hopefully!

As far as regular testing at Walgreen's, we've always gotten the monitored rapid antigen covid test at the store for free--including in July and August.  There was no question directly related to travel that I had to answer; perhaps one if we were concerned we would be near people who might be infected, that idea, and of course that is a yes.  We have never been charged.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

Be sure to check the expiration dates of the free ones we were given (by the U.S. government).  Ours were good for only a month after they were issued! 

The expiration dates of many test kits were extended. There is a website where they can be looked up, but I don't have the URL handy.

• Like 10

21 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Emed requires using the Binax AG test (not the Binax Now that you can buy at a pharmacy), purchased either from them or from Optum. Optum sells them in smaller quantities, but I recommend having at least one extra test in case one is defective, which happened to me in Greece this year (Emed replaced it, after I got home).  There are online services that will proctor and certify tests from kits that you already have.

13 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Had to be ordered for a watched test. $60 for 2. 

Thanks to both of you.  What a headache.  Last time it was so much easier to make an appointment at the drive-thru at Walgreens.  That time my result came back and DH's didn't though.  We called and she told us she got busy at the cash register!   The same person who checks you out at the front of the store is the one who sends out test results, from what she said.

3 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

Also, I just learned if you have Medicare or other health insurance, you can get 8 free at-home, self- tests A MONTH since the U.S. govt quit giving them out.  We got ours a few weeks ago at our local Walgreens by ordering online at the Walgreens web site and they are good for a YEAR.  It was so easy.  We have Medicare.  Here is the info.  When you check in with the Walgreen's store, they are through the pharmacy; speak with a pharmacy tech as the first pharmacy person I spoke with after ordering them was clueless.  Maybe you could use one of the monitoring services that have popped up.

https://www.cms.gov/how-to-get-your-at-home-OTC-COVID-19-test-for-free

These would be good to take on the cruise with you; that's what we're doing in a couple of weeks, to have to self-test, in case, as we'll be on the NA for four weeks--hopefully!

As far as regular testing at Walgreen's, we've always gotten the monitored rapid antigen covid test at the store for free--including in July and August.  There was no question directly related to travel that I had to answer; perhaps one if we were concerned we would be near people who might be infected, that idea, and of course that is a yes.  We have never been charged.

I have at least 8 of the Binax home tests with dates of 12/31/22 and 4/24/23.  I plan on taking them with us on our 28 day cruise.  I just have to plan out how to be tested here at home before we leave town.  I appreciate everyone's help and opinions on the matter.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Thanks, Sandi.  I have made a honey mustard salmon before and a salmon dish that calls for spinach, blistered tomatoes, and heavy cream.  Mmmmm.   The work will all be worth it when the move is completed.  I can take my time unpacking.  

1973921276_HappyBirthday3.jpg.1839784cba296ffd327bfeefcba8b7f1.jpg

Thank you so much!   I just hope a cat doesn't jump out of one of these boxes. That would mean I stole it from someone!

@Seasick Sailor

3fd70c4469801cf6583758a9db429c76.jpg.68df5379dc2e1bd5f5a9f80b0c1e8f32.jpg

+1

• Like 7

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

@HAL4NOW Safe travels home to Skykomish. I hope you both test negative soon, and thank goodness for friends who'll shop for you.

We are still waiting for disembarkation permission. We are down to about 40-50 more passengers that need taxis. Apparently there is an Indian Light Festival near Canada Place and the taxis are having a tough time getting to the port.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Safe travels @HAL4NOW. I went to my first Halloween ball Saturday. Quite the experience. And tonight I go kayaking for something called Paddleween where everyone trick or treats on the river in costume with lights. Should be interesting and again another first experience for me. Prayers for all. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

We are still waiting for disembarkation permission. We are down to about 40-50 more passengers that need taxis. Apparently there is an Indian Light Festival near Canada Place and the taxis are having a tough time getting to the port.

In a taxi now on the way to our car at the hotel. It is just a few minutes past noon.

• Like 16

@Overhead Fred  Happy Birthday!  That cake does look wonderful!   🎂🍾

@Seasick Sailor Happy Anniversary!!  🍾🥳

@HAL   @HAL4NOW I am glad you are off the ship and on your way home.  I hope that you continue to feel pretty good.   I hope you are negative soon.  

Thanks for all the pictures of Darwin, it looks like a lovely port to visit.   

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3